The HHO LGV (HGV) Info clinic

ROG

Visit site
Unsure where this would be most useful so I imagine ADMIN will decide on its final resting place :)

I know many on this site have vehicles over 3.5 tonnes (3500 kgs) plated GVW (MAM) in which they transport horses so I hope this info will be helpful

My info in this thread will concentrate on what is required for the PRIVATE (NOT COMMERCIAL) driving of RIGID LORRY horseboxes over 3.5 tonnes and what is needed to take the LGV test for either LGV C1 (up to 7.5 tonnes) and LGV C (all rigid lorries)

LICENCES
The age for drivng ANY LGV was lowered to age 18 from age 21 on 10 Setember 2009
LGV rigid C1 = 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes
LGV rigid C = 3.5 to any weight

DRIVER CPC (DCPC)
This is NOT required for the PRIVATE driving of any LGV ..... with one minor exception ....

Those who are under age 21 and wish to drive a PRIVATE LGV OVER 7.5 tonnes GVW on the public highway AFTER passing the LGV C test WILL need to take and pass the INITIAL LGV DCPC
They will not be required to take any of the 35 hours of LGV PERIODIC training because the INITIAL lasts for 5 years and that easily covers the age period from 18 to 21
As the likelyhood of anyone under age 21 will be driving a PRIVATE LGV over 7.5 tonnes is rare then I will only go deeper into the INITIAL LGV DCPC if needed.

LGV TRAINING
Firstly a WARNING - there are many LGV training BROKERS out there who set themselves up as 'middlemen' between the potential trainee and the actual LGV training schools. Many of these BROKERS shut up shop without any prior warning leaving trainees without the training and their money !!

ALWAYS VISIT THE LGV TRAINING SCHOOL OF YOUR CHOICE BEFORE PARTING WITH ANY MONEY

A recommendation is the best way of choosing a LGV training school and having DSA registered instructors or not makes absolutely no difference in the quality of training you will get.

Many LGV schools offer 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 training so you can have a chat with them and decide which is best for YOU
1 to 1 half days OR 2 to 1 all day training is the norm but do not be tempted to go for 1 to 1 all day because in most cases the brain cannot handle that sort of intense concentration for that continous length of time.

If you only want a C1 and not a C licence then consider these points ....
The training is virtually the same time and price if done in 'lorries' and the only difference will be the type of gearbox used
If the C1 training is being offered in something like a large 5 tonne VAN then that may be a cheaper and easier option but it will not prepare you that well for when you first get into a C1 7.5 tonne 'lorry'.
There are no air brakes in a VAN !!

The general cost and time for the LGV practical on-road training in the UK including the test fee is around £1,000 over 5 days with the test being on day 5
Retests will be extra and cost around £300 each time.
NOTE:- these are rough times and figures and will vary across the UK

SUPERVISING OF LGV TRAINEES
In April 2010 new laws came into force for the supervising of any LGV trainee.
To supervise a LGV trainee (provisional licence holder) the supervising driver MUST have passsed the DSA LGV test which covers the LGV category in which they are supervising and have held that category for 3+ years.
Normal car type L plates are required as well as the correct insurance for a learner in that category - contact your insurance company first.
Those with only a pre 1997 C1 on their licence CANNOT use that to supervise a LGV C1 learner

APPLYING FOR LGV PROVISIONAL
DVLA forms D2 and D4 will be needed DVLA FORM ORDERING
On the D2 form tick C & D only - this will cover al LGV & PCV medical and provisional needs for now and in the future.
The D4 is the medical form and does NOT have to be done by your own GP but can be done with ANY DOCTOR so shop around for the best deal - Searching on the internet for - LGV MEDICAL - will bring up some who do it for around £50 :D

Once the licence with the provisional on it has come back from DVLA then the theory tests can be taken followed by the booking of the practical course.

THE LGV THEORY AND PRACTICAL TESTS
These days they are often called modules.
Module 1a = The multiple choice test
Module 1b = The HPT test
Module 2 = Initial driver cpc theory - SEE DRIVER CPC (DCPC) SECTION AT THE START OF THIS POST
Module 3 = 1 hour practical road drive plus the REVERSE EXCERCISE - VIDEO and 5 SHOW ME/TELL ME QUESTIONS (click the PCV/LGV tab in that link)
Module 4 = Initial driver cpc practical - SEE DRIVER CPC (DCPC) SECTION AT THE START OF THIS POST

This VOSA GUIDE is well worth a read as it deals with many issues surrounding what is and is not considered PRIVATE or COMMERCIAL LGV DRIVING

I hope the above has been useful and please feel free to ask any questions which have not been answered :)

DISCLAIMER:- I have no connection to any companies which are featured in any of those links

INFO REQUIRED ON DEFRA OR OTHER CONCERNS WHEN TRANSPORTING HORSES WILL BE GREATLY RECEIVED so please add any such info in replies to this post so all can read - THANK YOU :D

ROG

Visit site
FOR THOSE DRIVING LGVs OVER 7.5 TONNES

This affects all LGVs over 7.5 tonnes whether private or commercial

YOU WILL COME UNDER EU TACHOGRAPH REGULATIONS:(

VOSA GUIDE TO THE ABOVE REGULATIONS

I will not go into all those regulations as they are in those links but the one which catches many out is the weekly rest rules and what needs to be recorded and when

A WEEK is from sunday midnight to sunday midnight

Any driving done under EU regs during a WEEK (as little as 1 minute counts) means the driver has to comply with the weekly rest rules

In any WEEK where no EU regs driving is done then no records are required for that WEEK

VOSA and the police need to see records for a WEEK in which EU regs driving was done so they can determine whether the weekly regs have been complied with

What this means is that records for ALL the WORK you did in a WEEK needs to be recorded officially - not on a scrap of paper or in a diary but in one of these 3 ways ....
1 - Inputted manually into a digital tachograph so the record gets put on your digital tachograph card
2 - Manually written onto digital tachograph printer paper
3 - Manually written onto analogue cards

Number 1 takes so long that most do not bother doing it that way
Numbers 2 & 3 are most commonly used BUT a seperate record MUST be made for each day worked

Each seperate daily record must have name, date, start & finish time on it - nothing else is required

If you worked mon to fri as an office worker for example and each day you started at 9am and finished at 5pm then you drove under EU regs on saturday from 7am to 8pm in an analogue tacho LGV over 7.5 tonnes then your records would need to be ....

5 seperate analogue cards for the office work
1 seperate analogue card used in the LGV from 7am to 8pm on the saturday

This would leave a weekly rest showing as sat 8pm to sunday midnight of 28 hours but if asked what time you started on monday in the office job (9am) that weekly rest would go from 28 hours to 37 hours
Anything under 45 hours is regarded as a reduced weekly rest and the rules state that a full UNBROKEN 45 hours must be taken every other WEEK

If the office work times stay the same then it is posssible to drive the following saturday up to midday because the time from sat noon to mon 9am is 45 hours

You could drive every saturday up to midday with a 9am start on a monday

The MINIMUM weekly rest is an UNBROKEN time of 24 hours

Hope that helps a bit to keep you legal

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
Thank you for this, after all those questions I sent re: me getting my trailer licence (which I still might)
We are now looking for my OH to get his C licence for work, and then we are getting a Non-HGV box. So this is much needed info. Thank you.

ROG

Visit site
Rog - sorry disagree - for private use you do not need to worry about tacho regs. Even if a tacho is fitted you do not need to use it

For LGVs in the C1 (7.5 and under) you are correct but not for those over 7.5 tonnes in the C category - There is no exemption in the EU regs for those ....

...... unless you can find one that nobody else has in over 5 years .... ;) :D

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So you are telling me that if i drive a 18t horse box for my own private use, i need to have a restricted operators licence, and that i have to have a tachograph fitted and I would not be allowed to dirve my own horses to a show on both a Saturday and Sunday, as i work monday to friday?

ROG

Visit site
So you are telling me that if i drive a 18t horse box for my own private use.....

Q1 - i need to have a restricted operators licence
Q2 - i have to have a tachograph fitted
Q3 - I would not be allowed to dirve my own horses to a show on both a Saturday and Sunday, as i work monday to friday?
A1 - NO
A2 - YES
A3 - YES

Those are EU LAWS (higher than UK ones) and by not complying you would be leaving yourself wide open to prosecution under some of the strictest driving rules around as well as them being easy to detect by enforcement agencies

IMO the EU could have easily added a private driving exemption for all LGVs without compromising safety, after all, someone learning to drive a LGV can legally learn to do so all day for 10 straight days or more without using a tacho or coming under EU regs and that has to be more of a risk than doing what you proposed

Last edited:

Nic

Visit site
Great post Rog, and clearly needed. I'm lucky to have my HGV haulage owner/driver Dad for guidance. Can you ask admin to pin?

ROG

Visit site
Does the provisional have an expiry on it by which time you must have got the full?
NO
The provisional will remain valid for as long as the medical is kept current
If you got provisional at age 20 then the next medical would be at age 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 66, 67 .........

How would you work out the hours if you were self-employed and working from home, say?
Put down what you want - that would be impossible to check on

ROG

Visit site
For anybody wondering why I have disabled my PM system ....

I started to get too many queries on towing and LGV issues and although I am fairly confident in answering them correctly there is always the possiblilty that some answers might be incorrect and without them being publically visible there is no chance of being corrected.

I am still very happy to answer queries publically so please choose the apropriate Towing clinic or LGV clinic link in my signature below to ask on :) :D

ROG

Visit site
Hi ROG
do you have any experience of a company called HGV express? Price seems pretty reasonable and they sounded good on the phone?
Thanks
BROKER ALERT !!!! - see the first post in this thread

PS - do me a favour and tell then you would like to meet your instructor and personally view the truck you will be learning in before you pay them a penny - then post their response on here .....

Last edited:

Puppy

Visit site
My D2 form arrived in the post today. I'm a bit concerned by part 4, the health questions, as I have to tick 'yes' to 'Any type of brain surgery, severe head injury involving in-patient treatment, or brain tumour' as I had a serious head injury Dec '08.

How much of a problem is this going to be? My doctors never actually talked to me about driving/not driving during my treatment and recover, I just used common sense about when I was fit to again, therefore I have never declared it to the DVLA before.

ROG

Visit site
My D2 form arrived in the post today. I'm a bit concerned by part 4, the health questions, as I have to tick 'yes' to 'Any type of brain surgery, severe head injury involving in-patient treatment, or brain tumour' as I had a serious head injury Dec '08.

How much of a problem is this going to be? My doctors never actually talked to me about driving/not driving during my treatment and recover, I just used common sense about when I was fit to again, therefore I have never declared it to the DVLA before.
Tick it and attach explanation in full

DVLA medical will contact your GP if they think there is a concern

Puppy

Visit site
Ok, so I just write an explanation out and post it with it, something like "I was kicked in the head by a horse and have had to have my face rebuilt, but I'm fiiiine now" :D

Thanks ROG :)

ROG

Visit site
Ok, so I just write an explanation out and post it with it, something like "I was kicked in the head by a horse and have had to have my face rebuilt, but I'm fiiiine now" :D

Thanks ROG :)
TBH - yes

I would add the year it happened and at what hospital you received treatment
Also add that you have been driving since a full recovery for the last X years

Unless a doctor has siad that you should inform DVLA then there is no need to do so

DVLA are not interested in temporary conditions such as not being able to drive for x months or a year after an incident which gets resolved

Can you imagine the mountain they would have to deal with if drivers did report such things as - my GP says I am on these tablets for 3 months and has advised me that it would be unsafe to drive whilst on them

Last edited:

smiggy

Visit site
Rog what do you know about rules for vehicles being speed limited
as in my iveco 5.5t is 56mph limited, am I allowed to have it removed? :)
thank you

ROG

Visit site
Rog what do you know about rules for vehicles being speed limited
as in my iveco 5.5t is 56mph limited, am I allowed to have it removed? :)
thank you
You are stuck with it

For private LGVs such as yours, you do not have to go and have it calibrated etc but the seal must remain unbroken