The importance of a body protector at all times

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Most people including myself, do not wear a body protector for flatwork schooling in an arena. However, all that has changed since Monday, when one of my liveries had a nasty accident whilst schooling her horse. For reasons we are unsure of at present, he took off with her around the arena at a flat out gallop and headed straight for the fence. She could not stop him or turn him. But he slammed on the brakes at the last minute sending her flying onto the top of the fence, where she hit it with her back at high speed. Poor thing has been in hospital for 3 days now. Thankfully she is all right but very hurt. Virtually all her injuries would have been prevented had she worn her body protector.

I know they can feel cumbersome, but you do get used to them after some time. From now on, I will always wear mine, even when schooling a well behaved horse.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
A really good message to all - thanks for posting.

I have never understood why some people think they can only be hurt when jumping - as a child, I came off out hacking and got kicked/trodden on, resulting in me nearly dying from massive internal bleeding and a ruptured kidney. If body protectors had been around then the accident would have been just bruising and winding.
I hate the restriction, but I and my daughters and husband ALWAYS wear ours.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
A really good message to all - thanks for posting.

I have never understood why some people think they can only be hurt when jumping - as a child, I came off out hacking and got kicked/trodden on, resulting in me nearly dying from massive internal bleeding and a ruptured kidney. If body protectors had been around then the accident would have been just bruising and winding.
I hate the restriction, but I and my daughters and husband ALWAYS wear ours.

Thanks. Your accident sounds awful. I think you are very wise to wear the BP at all times. Mine is pretty old now so I may just invest in a new one after this.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Good reminder. My last fall was from a standstill (massive buck) and if it wasn't for my protector, I would have broken my ribs and collar bone. I'm thinking of upgrading it this year, as it's quite old (although this was its only fall).

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Every fall I've ever had (in 50 years) has injured limbs, hips, face, hands or feet. A body protector wouldn't have lessened my injuries. Of course, BP's can protect the back and trunk but for me, personally, unless required by the venue, I feel safer without because I'm not restricted.
I also am able to choose what horses I ride these days which does lessen the chances of injury to a degree.

webble

Visit site
Completely agree, I fractured my pelvis just walking in the school when horse freaked out and dumped me. Not sure bp would have saved me because of how I landed but yes I always wear it now. It also helps as a back support when I get tired and a sports bra too :)

springtime1331

Visit site
I have the new racesafe one and am very happy with it. Comfortable and you barely know it is there. Always wear one, but I have had youngsters over the last 10 years so especially important

RunToEarth

Visit site
I think they can often give people a false sense of security - I fell off in my KAN and sustained a cracked vertebrae, they are after all a solid padding designed for the protection of internal organs and puncture wounds. I wish they would make a more user friendly version of the EXO because I was a huge fan of the design and think it offered a much wider scope for protection.

The debate that came off of the back of Laura Collett's fall was that she claimed she owed her life to point 2. Same with all of these people who claim that if they weren't wearing one it would have made the accident better/worse - that is surely just speculation, you cannot know without simulating an identical accident. I could have been better or worse for not wearing a BP that day - I will never know because it isn't a situation I wish to repeat.

In my case one of the boys is a habitual rearer and it is really important for me that when he goes up I am able to stay with the horse and move as quickly as possible - which is often made a lot more difficult with a BP - I also hate that fact that they have a tendency to get caught on the back of the saddle with a quick buck.

samisheen

Visit site
I have one on its way to me, I dont particularly like them but my very green mare has decided to throw a few bucks and cow kicks in recently and the other day when she got totally confused she reared, so body protector is now a must until we work through the problems

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new one as I've had my current one over 15 years. Any recommendations for non restrictive, comfortable ones?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My last 2 falls (both within a fortnight in 2012) were hard smacks to the ground; 1 landing turtle shaped on the lane from a sudden spin on the way back to yard, the other on my side from another sharp spin in canter.

Both times (strangely) I WAS wearing my BP and tho I had a hoof sized bruise on my chest where another horse trod on me in its haste to get away.

I felt it had (the BP) protected me from further problems, particularly when being dragged for about 20yds on my back along the lane......(didnt want to let go, as was on my own!)

I did wear mine for the 1st 3 weeks hacking on CF, tho not in the last 2 weeks except for a SJ lesson.

Hmm, must rethink as getting blase again perhaps..........

2horsesnomoney

Visit site
I totall agree to many people take the risk! I wont start the hat debate but It drives me mad seeing people ride without a hat! anyway i do feel like BP are uncomfortable but i have now upgraded to an air jacket that i wear at all times dont ever get on without it for me it was the best buy ever. I do have the airowear outline its is more comfortable than most.

Arizahn

Visit site
Most people including myself, do not wear a body protector for flatwork schooling in an arena. However, all that has changed since Monday, when one of my liveries had a nasty accident whilst schooling her horse. For reasons we are unsure of at present, he took off with her around the arena at a flat out gallop and headed straight for the fence. She could not stop him or turn him. But he slammed on the brakes at the last minute sending her flying onto the top of the fence, where she hit it with her back at high speed. Poor thing has been in hospital for 3 days now. Thankfully she is all right but very hurt. Virtually all her injuries would have been prevented had she worn her body protector.

I know they can feel cumbersome, but you do get used to them after some time. From now on, I will always wear mine, even when schooling a well behaved horse.

This brings back memories! When I came off my old mare in early 2012, this was exactly the sort of fall I had, except I hit the fence chest first and rolled along it. No body protector, very scary indeed. After I healed up enough to ride, I invested in one, and am glad that I did, as a few weeks later she dumped me again. This time she trampled me afterwards, and without a body protector I believe that I would have been killed. As it was, she only fractured my wrist when her hoof clipped it - I instinctively shielded my face.

I have an Aerowear Outlyne, spelling may be incorrect, but you get the jist. Very comfortable :) Flexible enough for coping with sharp spooks and rearing too...she was a quirky little mare!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This brings back memories! When I came off my old mare in early 2012, this was exactly the sort of fall I had, except I hit the fence chest first and rolled along it. No body protector, very scary indeed. After I healed up enough to ride, I invested in one, and am glad that I did, as a few weeks later she dumped me again. This time she trampled me afterwards, and without a body protector I believe that I would have been killed. As it was, she only fractured my wrist when her hoof clipped it - I instinctively shielded my face.

I have an Aerowear Outlyne, spelling may be incorrect, but you get the jist. Very comfortable :) Flexible enough for coping with sharp spooks and rearing too...she was a quirky little mare!

Wow, how frightening for you. Thanks for the recommendation.

khalswitz

Visit site
Personally, I have been injured by my body protector on two occasions - neck damage and coccyx - where doctor had said if I HADN'T been wearing it I would have been better off. The neck damage was due to my neck being the only exposed area, and whilst without BP I probably would have sustained an upper should injury, instead my neck was pushed backwards and I ended up with a worse injury. My coccyx injury was severe and caused by my body protector getting caught at the shoulder, pulled up, and then landed with the lowest part of the body protector pushing into my coccyx.

I stopped wearing mine all the time not due to this, but mainly due to the restrictiveness. I found it harder to stay on due to being unable to be really free through my spine (especially on my bronco horse where I need to move with him to stay on!). It was also a massive pain when backing youngsters, as it made leaning over and slipping on and off much more clumsy and less quiet for the young horses - therefore more likely to get a reaction. I also feel much more tense in one due to the restrictiveness, hence I'm more likely to cause a reaction/fall off!! So for me, putting one on becomes a mental admission that I'm more likely to come off than stay on...

Now, I wear one when I feel the risk of coming off is higher than the likelihood of staying on - so when getting on a real problem horse for example. And obviously for XC. But I would NEVER wear one all the time as I feel they hinder me too much when trying to stay on! I think if it doesn't bother you to wear one all the time, then fair enough. But saying we should all wear one all the time doesn't sit right with me at all.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Interesting point Khalswitz. However, I personally don't find them restrictive, and at one point I started to feel uncomfortable without one! However, due to a break in riding for a while when I lost my mojo, since getting back into it, I haven't bothered putting it on, so will have to go through the getting used to it again phase.

There are definitely pros and cons of wearing one, as too are there pros and cons to the air vest. Certainly a very good point you made regarding backing youngsters and so I think when it comes to backing my filly, I will not wear one for the leaning over part, but will certainly put it on for the sitting up part!

Coblover63

Visit site
I was thrown onto a road a couple of years ago and broke six ribs and damaged my spleen, necessitating a hospital stay on 24-hour monitoring, lest it should rupture. I was wearing a Racesafe and the doctors told me that it probably saved my life - well the words he used were "If you hadn't been wearing it, your internal organs would be 'mush' and I don't think you would have survived". I never ride without it now....

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Im another with airowear outlyne. i wear it for everything since my 17.1 tb randomly stopped dead in canter and i didn't!
i don't know iv got it on after a few minutes. i have the short version so i don't have issue with it catching on saddle- iv Sat spins in it with no issue when my old one did catch!

apachediamond

Visit site
i always wear mine (green youngster), hacking, schooling, for our first dressage test a few weeks ago. I have the outlyne and love it, never feel restricted (it's kept me warm through the winter) and often forget i have it on.

PorkChop

Visit site
I am looking to buy a new one as I've had my current one over 15 years. Any recommendations for non restrictive, comfortable ones?

I think the Racesafe body protectors are extremely comfortable.

I do not think I would wear a BP everyday tbh, however I would not get on a horse without a hat, each to their own.

horsemad32

Visit site
I'm not convinced either way. I have had straightforward falls made worse by wearing one (couldn't roll properly on one occasion, and on the other the back of it caused severe bruising where I landed on it). I would feel more comfortable galloping through woodland with one on, and have always worn one for xc/sponsored rides, and would even if it was not asked for.

Having a new horse vs one you've had for years would increase the risk, and make me more likely to wear one. My girl and I have been good friends for over a decade. She knows how to tell me when there's a problem, and I know her well enough to see tiny changes in behaviour. That knowledge is a protection in itself, that and the bond we have built up.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I think the Racesafe body protectors are extremely comfortable.

I do not think I would wear a BP everyday tbh, however I would not get on a horse without a hat, each to their own.

My sister would have agreed with you a few days ago but she needed a new one so went to local tack shop, tried tej race safe again and then out of curiosity tried the airowear wear on and found that to be a better fit. She has a wonky spine and it molds to her perfectly, plus you can nearly fold in in half it's that flexible.

maree t

Visit site
My daughter has the airowear and she said it is the most comfortable ones she has had . Seems to have more room in the front for the girls !!
I wish my son would wear one more often but he is too old for me to be able to dictate. He never rides without a hat or hi viz on the road but hate his BP. He will only wear it for XC .

Copperpot

Visit site
I have a race safe and it's quite comfy. I only wear it where the rules say I have to though. I find body protectors restrictive and don't like wearing them. I always wear a hat though.

khalswitz

Visit site
Interesting point Khalswitz. However, I personally don't find them restrictive, and at one point I started to feel uncomfortable without one! However, due to a break in riding for a while when I lost my mojo, since getting back into it, I haven't bothered putting it on, so will have to go through the getting used to it again phase.

There are definitely pros and cons of wearing one, as too are there pros and cons to the air vest. Certainly a very good point you made regarding backing youngsters and so I think when it comes to backing my filly, I will not wear one for the leaning over part, but will certainly put it on for the sitting up part!

I used to ride in mine all the time until I started backing the youngsters, and never thought twice. Once I got used to riding without it, I found putting it on just left me feeling very restricted. However, objectively looking at how well I sat naughty behaviours, I realised that I personally stick on better without one. But that is me personally.

I also struggle sometimes to sit UP and not go round-shouldered, which my BP makes very difficult to avoid.

However I will admit mine is a pretty old BP now (it's about 10 years old?), so probably not the most comfortable etc, but since I very rarely wear it (only a couple times a year atm until Geoff gets eventing properly) I haven't seen the point in investing in a new one...

I very much agree with the comment about hats though - its to each their own, I'd also never ride without a hat but have a friend who regularly does, and IMO it's her choice...

amage

Visit site
Love my race safe one, very comfy and not too heavy. I do find it rather ironic that Laura Collett stated her p2 saved her life yet was photographed in her first xc schooling session this year including on a new horse not wearing it

BigGinger

Visit site
I have a airoware outlyne Bp and never ride without it now on my thoroughbred. In fact I never notice I have it on even it's really comfy. Was worth every penny

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I would never wear a BP all the time, as people have said I find them too restrictive and can certainly hinder in certain situations, (and I have the airoware one too).
The accident I had last year would have probably been a lot worse if I'd been wearing it, as firstly I landed point of shoulder so nothing was stopping my collarbone breaking. But also I definitely wouldn't have been able to twist out of the way and avoid half a tonne of horse landing on me, as they do restrict movement and that ability to move very quickly is what saved me from serious potentially life threatening injuries.

It is all personal preference though, I would not ride without a hat, but have worn beagler/ top hat when showing. I would never go XC without a BP but still do fast rides and jump without one...

PingPongPony

Visit site
I never ride without mine, I have the Airowear Outlyne, it is designed to give us ladies a bit more space in front, it moulds to you and I find it very comfy, it's also adjustable around your waist, rib cage and on your shoulders so if you do put on or lose weight, you can just readjust it to fit properly. It hasn't affected my stick-ability but it has prevented some nasty injuries, so i always wear it when on a horse. If you have your BP properly fitted, it shouldn't catch on the back of the saddle or anywhere else. I'm quite short in the body so i have the short version, i also currently ride a horse that likes to buck a lot and some of them pretty high, i manage to sit to the bucks fine and my BP has never been caught on the back of the saddle. I've now had it for quite a few years, i think it'll soon be time to change it, but i'm just going to go and buy the exact same one, as i just love it and no other bp that i've ever tried fits as well and is as comfy :)

khalswitz

Visit site
If you have your BP properly fitted, it shouldn't catch on the back of the saddle or anywhere else.

Mine was properly fitted at the time (probably not now as I rarely use it these days) and never caught the back of the saddle. It was a jump wing that caught the shoulder and pulled the BP up, then me twisting and falling on my back that injured my coccyx. Admittedly I am very large busted, and at the time (ten years ago) BPs weren't really designed for large busts... so even when it was professionally fitted, with enough force you could pull it up an inch or so and that was enough to cause me injury.