The Insurance Emporium

The Trooper

Visit site
Hey guys,

I know this question has probably been asked a million times but I feel that more current views are quite important.

I currently have Bonnie and Belle both insured with Horse-Insurance.co.uk and i'm looking to change to a new provider. No other reason than I want more cover than I currently have. I have never had to claim (touch wood) so can't comment on their claims process but the cover to me doesn't seem very extensive.

I have been looking around this morning and have seen a few different ones mentioned. The one I am currently looking at is, as above - The Insurance Emporium. I gotten a quote from them and it seems quite good for the cover I want/need, but my question is, does anyone have experience with them or indeed any other insurers that is worth noting (Good or bad!).

Suggestions for insurers to look into are also more than welcome!

This is the quote i've gotten for my pair, Belle insured for £2000 and Bonnie £5000. Both with 5k vet fees.

Also is there anything I don't have that is worth adding in your opinion?

Bonnie
Policy Type
Horse £12.87
Elective Benefits

• Dental Treatment £0.97
  • Disposal Costs £0.97
  • Public Liability £1.45
  • Vet's Fees £20.63
YOUR POLICY TOTAL £36.87 per month
Discounts Applied:
  • 10% Multi Policy Discount
  • 20% Introductory Discount
Start Date: 08-06-2019
Belle
Policy Type
Horse £5.19
Elective Benefits

• Dental Treatment £0.97
  • Disposal Costs £0.97
  • Public Liability £1.45
  • Vet's Fees £17.14
YOUR POLICY TOTAL £25.70 per month
Discounts Applied:
  • 10% Multi Policy Discount
  • 20% Introductory Discount
Start Date: 08-06-2019

I hope to never have to claim, but it's a peace of mind thing as I don't have access to alot of capital.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
That company s a new name for E & L, or Equine and Livestock.

They may have changed when they changed name (the original name is still on their website) but historically they were not good payers. So much so that my previous vets would wait for the insurance payout for payment from the better companies but would demand payment before claim was settled if it was E and L because they doubted the policy would pay out.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
From their equine page on the website "
The Insurance Emporium ® is a trading name of The Equine and Livestock Insurance Company Limited, Thorpe Underwood Hall, Ouseburn, York, YO26 9SS
(registered in England and Wales no: 294940) which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority no: 202748. "

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The only thing I’d say, as I’ve just insured my new horse with them (well 6 months ago) and younger horse policies it’s 17.5 % excess which could be quite a lot compared to some companies.
My vets didn’t flinch when I said who I was insured with and I didn’t have to pay first.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have E&L insurance too and have only had positive experiences with them. I hadn't a substantial claim a couple of years ago, they weren't exactly fast in paying, but everything was settled in a timely manner and without fuss. I still insure with them now, I just accept that to get a lower monthly premium I have to be prepared for a higher excess, just like my car insurance.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I work at a vet. Under no circumstances will we direct claim through any E&L company - we have learned the hard way that they are difficult payers. I had my own horse with them many years ago but changed after my first claim, which was a straightforward case but took months and months and much chasing to get payment. Personally wouldn't touch them.

spoo

Visit site
I work at at vets also, and under no circumstances do we do direct claims for E+L or companies associated with them such as The Insurance Emporium. Wouldn’t touch them either