The jumping 'face'!

fathorselover

Visit site
A friend took a really nice photo of me jumping my mare today. I looked and thought 'ooh, that will be lovely for my facebook profile pic'- until i zoomed in and oh my word my face! Tendons sticking out on my neck and gravity dragging my skin down so i look like my cheeks are flapping- eeek!!! Also beetroot red- how does anyone manage to look fabulous like the professional showjumping pictures? Please say it's not just me.... :-D

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Ha ha ha..it isn't just you (good description by the way)! The photos from and my arab's endurance days are all safely locked away in a secret place, oh the shame. Arab looks magnificent in full flow. I look like a cross between the village idiot and an overheated baboon, bright red cheeks, idiotic expression. I too would love to know the secret of how to look calm, composed and, ooh, even a bit glamorous whilst riding.

meesha

Visit site
I always look constipated in jumping photos! Although the better ones have been when I don't know photographer is there

fathorselover

Visit site
Even my chin seemed to have disappeared into my neck- we aren't endowed with great jawlines in my family and oh didn't i look like little miss no chin in the photo! From now on photos are BANNED! glad its not just me though ha ha!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Haha sounds like me I have some lovely sponsored ride photos of h with knees really high above the jump looking really good them I look at my face and there is what can only be described as terror written all over it 😂 this is despite me making a concious effort to smile as i know they are there! He looks great I look shocking same for most jumping ones!!

NZJenny

Visit site
Ha ha ha..it isn't just you (good description by the way)! The photos from and my arab's endurance days are all safely locked away in a secret place, oh the shame. Arab looks magnificent in full flow. I look like a cross between the village idiot and an overheated baboon, bright red cheeks, idiotic expression. I too would love to know the secret of how to look calm, composed and, ooh, even a bit glamorous whilst riding.

What gala said.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Hahaha so glad it's not just me!! I pull the most awful grimace over every fence. I have spoiled just about every photo of Pie and I jumping. Mind you he has a jumping face too - his top lip goes long and tapir like. But he looks cute whereas I look hideous!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
same here. I now have 'dressage face' though. Can't seem to ride properly without breathing through my mouth, and unless it's below zero degrees I'm always ridiculously hot & flushed. Not the most photogenic. Luckily my horses usually look reasonable in photos :lol:

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I stick my tongue out to the side of my mouth if I'm concentrating really hard when riding, DR & SJ in particular! It looks awful, and oh so very embarrassing when looking back at vids/ pics! :D :eek:

Last edited:

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Oh wow, I'm glad it's not just me. My horse is terrifically photogenic, I'm not, so I ruin all the pics taken at shows. In one I look like a puffer fish and it caused great hilarity when I was looking through the pics on the laptop at the photo stand. My dressage/showing face for some reason always looks grim, my jumping face is even worse. I somehow always seem to do something weird with my mouth so my lips disappear and my hat seems to squash my face so I look even more middle aged than I actually am. Other people always seem to look great *sigh*

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I just hate photos of me, full stop, I only buy professional ones because my boys are so lovely.
That's the best sort of photo of me<<<<<

My jumping face resembles the expression you would pull if a large insect went up your nose side ways!!!!!

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm a tongue sticker-outer too when jumping.
Look like a beetroot after XC, a ghost before dressage and a weird wanna-be chicken flapping arm thing doing SJ.
There really is no hope for me.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Im another one who's lips disappear over a fence, attractive isn't it! In the past when looking through photos with my ex hubby he used to pic out the jumping ones laughing (good natured though he wasn't that bad) and say "oh look, there's that face again!!". Lovely!

In dressage I adopt the mouth open look which is equally as attractive.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I video every single lesson I have and I have begun training myself to smile over every fence. Its actually similarly to everything else you have to remember, just another thing like sit up, hands up, smile etc. :D

MargotC

Visit site
I'm glad it's not just me! Tbh my face is bad enough in a relaxed state but riding does not help matters.

I also have a bad habit of holding my breath when I concentrate deeply (and this can happen when I jump a course), so sometimes my instructor used to make me sing as I rode to make sure I breathed. The shame.

madmav

Visit site
I bought a quite expensive pic of me going over a jump at little show. Looked at contacts without glasses, thought that looks nice. Only when blown up did I realise horse had eyes tight shut, scary planks, and I had weird puffed cheeks, mad eyes and a muffin top. Now hidden in drawer.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I have a concentrating face which looks like I'm sucking a lemon, it seems to make it's appearance in all photo's flat and jumping!

Greylegs

Visit site
Loving this thread!! I'm not a jumper, but doing a dressage test, my face is either wearing a look a grim determination, a look like I'm in agony or a look like I'm about to burst into tears ... all caused by the effort needed to get my chunky highland to do a decent working trot, bless him .... !!

Bernster

Visit site
I agree - this thread def needs pics ! My horse has a jumping face which rather worryingly seems to involve him closing his eyes. Scary, mom, I'm gonna close my eyes until it's over...

11059393_1642751412634287_8382309864374269513_o.jpg