The old 'Pony Squishing' Debate...

3BayGeldings

Visit site
HARVEY.jpg

16th April 1973: Harvey Smith riding a pony after opening the Riding Department at 'Lillywhites.' (Photo by Frank Barratt/Keystone/Getty Images)

Tharg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Considering some people think a 15hh Welshie is practically buckling at the knees from carrying over 9 stone
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

somethingorother

Visit site
Well he has his ears back and his front legs look a bit splayed so i wouldn't say that was ok.

But i'm usually annoyed by people saying that an arab can't carry over 8 stone and a 14hh sec d shouldnt be sat on by anyone over 5ft etc

But that picture is too far.

Natch

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

But that picture is too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whispers I think the pony is a fake!
wink.gif

Natch

Visit site
Don't worry, took me a while to work it out too!
blush.gif

Somebody will probably come online in the morning and tell me its real afterall...
confused.gif
smirk.gif

Shay

Visit site
I'm sorry to say I was there! How old does that make me! Mum bought me a pair of Cream johds to go hunting in. The really old fashioned ones with baggy bits at the thighs. (I hasten to add I was well under 10 at the time!) The pony was real but he only sat on it for a few moments. I don't think he brought his weight down at all - just sort of straddled it. Show jumpers were real sitting room heros then - far more well know even by people who didn't ride than now. Some of my heart throbs then still ride now.....

Gosh I feel old.

skewbaldpony

Visit site
Weren't they just! Glory days! I was allowed to sit up late to watch the showjumping, and everyone knew who David Broome and Harvey were!
I doubt it did the pony any harm having Harvey rest one leg on it for a couple of minutes. I have to say, people had a lot more common sense back then.
People today seem to think things were 'brutal' and in some ways, they were harsher - more down to earth - but there was also a hell of a lot more horse sense around, and countryside knowledge - more people who really understood what was going on.
These days people watch something on telly and think they're the expert.

Vicki1986

Visit site
i wish i had this picture when the instructor of a clinic i went on kept telling me im to big for pony and i should sell her!! im not small on her, but im not 'big' either, certainly not that big ha!!