The powers of the body to heal!! Not for the squeamish.

chillipup

Visit site
Just a thought, if the pony had cut its jugular and it was visible, would pinching/holding it together help stop the bleeding until the vet arrived? or would it be a certainty that pony's time would be up?

Not sure, the day it happened we went through 3 towels to stop bleeding, owner walked the pony from the school to my house across the yard and left a trail of blood. She went to hosing area while I called vet. There was claret everywhere all across the yard and spilling out through the towels. It was one scary day ..... just checked the day of accident 10th August when it happened

Blimey, I'm not surprised you went through several towels to stem the bleeding TYSSANDI. I remember reading Fraser's Horse Book, back in the 80's, like it was a bible. I'm sure it was in there that I read..a horse losing a couple of Gallons of blood can look like the end is very much nigh but not necessarily so. 2 Gallons FGS? (old money for those that remember) but that's an awful amount of blood to lose. (9.09 Litres approx.)

Apparently 6-10% of body weight is blood volume and on losing 30%, some horses have still survived. (It doesn't say in what capacity) The average 500kg horse would have 50 Llts of blood and would have to lose 15 Ltrs before before becoming critical. (3.29 gallons approx?) Can this be right? Anyone know?

cauda equina

Visit site
Mother of God that poor pony! But what a recovery, testament to the vets and the carers. I must be naive, I always assumed that the mirrors used in schooling areas and stables wasn't actually glass. Now I know different. Will he be able for all his usual activities when fully recovered?

Me too; I assumed they would be plastic or Perspex with a mirrored backing.
Putting glass where horses are running around seems like asking for trouble

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
They are safety glass with a backing which it sticks too.

In the beginning it was opted not to by the runners but to attach them to wooden rails, this was the mistake as it meant the mirrors sat proud of the wall and on impact pushed in. The replacement mirrors were used in conjunction with the proper aluminium fixing channels.

The lesson here is even if it cost a little more to guy correct fitting, it is worth it in the end.

We did buy one mirror which was more light weight but it was flimsy and when the birds flew at it and scratched it with beaks, it left scratches on it like skates on ice and went very hard to see in it

It is a proper arena mirror

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Safety backed to BS EN12600 1B1 mirrors - it is not the fault of the mirrors but how they were fitted to the wall, no one could have foreseen this would happen,so now the are fitted correctly.
The cheap ones bend and get badly scratched and misty with the bird scratches.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Just a thought, if the pony had cut its jugular and it was visible, would pinching/holding it together help stop the bleeding until the vet arrived? or would it be a certainty that pony's time would be up?

I had a mare slice an artery in her leg once and we were lucky that the vets were only 2 minutes away and came quick. They told me if anything like ti ever happened again that I was to use a tampon on the severed bit and then bandage over the top. Not sure if that would work on a neck wound, but my first aid kit has containted tampons ever since :)

Visit site
I had a mare slice an artery in her leg once and we were lucky that the vets were only 2 minutes away and came quick. They told me if anything like ti ever happened again that I was to use a tampon on the severed bit and then bandage over the top. Not sure if that would work on a neck wound, but my first aid kit has containted tampons ever since :)

Any form of absorbent material pressure bandage will suffice. A tampon is not one I have heard of before lol!

Fools Motto

Visit site

Tampons - brilliant idea! Never would have thought about using them.
My mare cut the artery on inside of her hind leg many years ago - somewhere between last checking on her at 10 in the morning, and then again at 3.30pm. Our then landlord phoned to say there was a 'swimming pool' of blood by our black horse. Oh my god... the amount of blood on the ground looked horrific! The wound was tiny. We came to the conclusion she nicked herself while rolling, as the wound was so small you only knew it was there by seeing the tiny amount of clotted blood. Luckily it had clotted and the mare had stood still (not panic'd). The vet didn't do anything to the wound as there was no need. The mare was quiet for a day or two but was soon back to herself.
Took days to cover the blood up/wash the area.

As for OP's pony in question, a corker of a wound for sure, but amazing how well it is healing. Such a freak accident - they usually are! Hope he continues to improve and goes on to be just fine. Thank you for sharing his story.

Brownmare

Visit site

Well done to both you and OP for keeping a clear head and saving your horses. Sadly I once spoke to a lady who lost her daughters pony from a similar incident. He tried to jump through the stable window and severed an artery but she panicked and did not know what to do. She ended up holding her jumper to the wound to try to stem the bleeding instead of running to the house (20m away) to call the vet and he bled out. I don't know if the vet would have saved him but she had a hard time living with her decision :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Amazing recovery, but if there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's that I am never going to put glass mirrors where I ride horses, properly mounted or not.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Wow that is some hole the vet has done a fantastic job!

What are the stick things in the first couple of photos that are inserted into the wound? Guessing it's to help drainage or something?

michelledud

Visit site
10th August THIS YEAR??? Flippin eck that's healed quickly!!! Lucky pony!
Hope you got a good neck/chest anatomy lesson from your vet during the visits? I'm so curious about stuff like that 🤔

Shantara

Visit site
Wow!!! The body's ability to heal always amazes me!

We have a horse who had several sarcoids removed via Lasers. The wounds were about 4inches across and disgusting. Not nearly as bad as that pony, but they were still awful! This was about 2 months ago and they're gone!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Well after the owners going through all that.

Last Thursday I found there big boy cast and colicking at 6.45am.
He managed to get himself up before I got in there and after walking round and round and round and vet came and Buscpan, past one dropping and pee. He carried on colicking after vet went so had to call another vet, and they gave him Buscapan and rectal and then Buscapan after 1/2 hr and he then started getting worst. So the decision was made, and we all still in a state of shock as it was only a week ago, and he went from a happy chappy the night before to being dead by 12.30pm Thursday

RIP big white chappie :( between this family and mine we have lost way to many animals and people in the last 4 years

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Thought some would like to see the injured pony up to date picture and how it healed

Beyond our wildest dreams - fluff is growing, vet thought it would stay balled

20161025_1725451_zpsesxuywf9.jpg

Last edited:

cavalo branco

Visit site
Gosh, poor family...they must feel traumatised. Hugs to them and so glad their pony has made such an amazing recovery, I can hardly believe that it's the same animal!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Holy Moly! So glad pony is well on the road to recovery. I guess this is why those weird plastic shrink wrap type mirrors are favourable now.