The Queen's 90th birthday

Feival

Visit site
I love the Foal, what a chunk! so lovely to see P Edward,P Anne, Zara and Louise riding the queens horses and of course to see Toy Town again

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have been so incredibly confused at all of your comments.. thinking am I watching he right thing, are you seeing something I am not?!

I'm only bl**dy watching it on ITV+1 :D

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Is anyone watching?
I'm in awe - household calverys from all over world atm & amazing displays from the horses. I shouldn't be watching as exams but I can't take my eyes off screen!

It's amazing :D

No as I have/had no interest in it , I am far to busy getting ready and organizing my own mothers 90 th party on the 21st of May

PolarSkye

Visit site
Loving the horses....... BUT why oh why as soon as you begin to watch something, the camera-shot pans away to either the singer OR goes into distant mode.

I'm loving the show but finding the ITV coverage (and intervals) intensely annoying. Think that the camera angles needed to be sorted well beforehand, either the performers are too close up, OR way to far away with the camera high up somewhere over the arena, or (making me irate) keep on panning in and out all the time.

Why didn't BBC cover it? ITV coverage and camera-work is frankly AWFUL, lets the show down IMO. Doing my head (and eyes) in.

Agree. I gave up.

P

Daffodil

Visit site
It grew on me. I could have done without those two clowns doing the compering (dear God!) and that arch-republican, Helen Mirren, getting in on the act (again). The TV presentation generally was dreadful and I watched quite a lot with the sound turned off. And as for all those commercial breaks..........

But I tried to see the show from the spectators' view and I thought it was great. The Household Cavalry and the RHA are breathtaking and it was lovely seeing all the overseas participants, although I was none too keen on the Chilean contribution with their hideous spurs.

I had wondered why Princess Anne, Prince Edward and Zara weren't there.... now we know and it was great seeing Toytown. I can't get over how wonderfully well behaved all the horses were.

I think the Queen enjoyed her evening.

stormox

Visit site
Does anyone know if its being repeated- at an earlier time? I managed to stay awake till 10.30, but was so tired I just had to go to bed. Missed the last hour.

chillipup

Visit site
No as I have/had no interest in it , I am far to busy getting ready and organizing my own mothers 90 th party on the 21st of May

Then why bother posting on this thread? Bizzare...

Because HGA's mum is about to reach her 90th birthday and it is far more important to her than the queens. (So would my mum's be, should she get to it) A 90th birthday is obviously something to celebrate, so not bizzare at all.

Congratulations to your mum for the 21st HGA. Will there be many horses and ponies at your celebrations? :)

Personally, I got rather bored watching the program, though enjoyed some of the horse displays and drummers. Could have done without Ant & Dec and all the singing.

only_me

Visit site
Because HGA's mum is about to reach her 90th birthday and it is far more important to her than the queens. (So would my mum's be, should she get to it) A 90th birthday is obviously something to celebrate, so not bizzare at all.

Congratulations to your mum for the 21st HGA. Will there be many horses and ponies at your celebrations? :)

Personally, I got rather bored watching the program, though enjoyed some of the horse displays and drummers. Could have done without Ant & Dec and all the singing.

No doubt her mothers birthday is more important to her, and is her own celebration, but to post that on a thread talking about the queens 90th birthday is bizzare. People don't need to give a reason for not watching it!
Sure my great aunts 90th is soon, as is my grannies 89th, and my brothers 21st also, but it is of no relevance to this thread!

HunkyDory

Visit site
Household Cavalry were the wow factor for me. When they allowed those big bays to let rip and gallop full felt on leaving the arena. No sight quite like it. TBH, I loved all of it. Even the French guy and his tubby, comedy, frizz bomb littlun. I've seen his beach routines which are pretty amazing. I thought it was lovely that Prince Edward, Louise, Princess Ann and Zara participated. The mounted games and the Azerbaijan riders have a lot in common! My sister commented that she'd probably done most of those moves...though some not deliberate *lol*

Last edited:

HunkyDory

Visit site
My favourite part:

342C71AA00000578-3590745-image-a-6_1463257898063.jpg

suestowford

Visit site
Does anyone know who was playing Sybil Smith (in the segment with HM & Princess Margaret learning to ride)?
It's bugging me that I know the voice but can't put a name to her!

teapot

Visit site
Household Cavalry were the wow factor for me. When they allowed those big bays to let rip and gallop full felt on leaving the arena. No sight quite like it. TBH, I loved all of it. Even the French guy and his tubby, comedy, frizz bomb littlun. I've seen his beach routines which are pretty amazing. I thought it was lovely that Prince Edward, Louise, Princess Ann and Zara participated. The mounted games and the Azerbaijan riders have a lot in common! My sister commented that she'd probably done most of those moves...though some not deliberate *lol*

If you mean the guys with with the flags, yup that's that HC, but they're not bays. They're known as 'cav blacks' for a reason.

Great to see Toytown!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Spmeone mentioned the Spurs on the riders from Patagonia. Yes they are massive, but used ever so lightly. Those who mark their mounts are seriously frowned upon by their peers.
An anecdote from a friend who spent some time in Patagonia....

The horses are never booted or dug at with the Spurs. One young Patagonian lad did so in temper at a rodeo.... Afterwards the other riders beat him up.

On a lighter note an all round stunning display of horsemanship.

I always feel so proud & patriotic when the cavalry come on... Particularly when the cavalry blacks let rip with the flag- just amazing!!!

Snuffles

Visit site
I tried to catch up on my virgin cable last night and the damn thing was freezing every few seconds, gave up in the end. Was Ok on another catch up programme so hope its not a problem with the Birthday programme particularly

smja

Visit site
I watched on catch up last night. We could have done with a bit more commentary on what was happening with the horses and explanation of who was represented/what they were doing, and less of the celebrity love-in.

Live music - fine. Watching someone singing whilst I could be watching an interesting riding display? Rubbish.

Rollin

Visit site
I loved it all, save for the fact that NO ONE mentioned the Cleveland Bay. On the RBST critical list, bred by HM under the Hampton Court prefix, used in harness at all big ceremonial occasions and to pull the Ascot Landaus but not a single mention.

In the 18th Century Cleveland Bay and Yorkshire Coach horse stallions were exported to Germany and used to improve Holstein and Oldenburgh breeding. In the USA Colonial Williamsburg is delighted to have been given some pure bred Cleveland Bays for use in their re-enactments of the War of Independence and are now standing a CB stallion at stud...but in Windsor they were forgotten!! Shocking.