The realisation that you’re not going to have another horse, and have to sell all the stuff…

meleeka

Visit site
I sold my saddle through Saddles Direct. It took about 8 months to sell, but because I had sent it off months ago, there wasn’t the wrench when it sold. I’ve got another to sell, but I don’t have an attachment to that one. I’ve done a couple of boot sales now and have kept one box of things that are only special to me. I am liking the space in my tack room though. I only have what I need now for the oldies.

canteron

Visit site
My heart goes out to you. Hopefully I have a few more years left with my lovely girl, but I often think if I gave up I would have to move - my bedroom overlooks the paddocks (I persuaded the farmer to sell the land) and stables (which I built and designed) and I don’t think I could bear to see them empty.

I muse I would buy something near a dog shelter and dedicate my life to helping them!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I haven't ridden for nearly seven years and definitely won't ride my cob again. I still have saddle, bridles and rugs from my first pony. I did part with the saddle for my old mare as I never liked it but still have my cob's saddle and bridle. I haven't thought about selling them to be honest. I still have my mare and the cob and haven't ruled out buying a suitable horse to ride again so will hang onto all the tack.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
After my two "big" horses died, I kept their stuff as I couldn't bear to part with it, and thought I would get another. It hasn't worked out that way in the end. I finally got rid of many old rugs but still have their tack. I wish I had moved on more things sooner I have to say - leather degrades without regular use & cleaning, and I now wish their tack had been used and loved by someone else. But saying that, I still can't bear to part with them. Grief is a funny thing isn't it?

Flame_

Visit site
Aw, this thread's really sad. My life plan mainly involves acquiring smaller, wider and possibly older ponies until I drop dead. I couldn't even think of giving it up and I totally get the attachment to trusted saddles. I hope you all get to enjoy lots of new things and different adventures.

Griffin

Visit site
I'm still riding my pony and he's only 8 so hopefully he's got years ahead of him. However I've had a bunch of mini strokes in recent years that seem to have thrown my confidence a lot so I'm not doing half the things with him I promised I would. He's a good lad though and no trouble but I know he'll probably be my last. I hope i keep healthy now and get going more because he deserves it.

I am in a similar situation, my mare is in her early teens but my health has got worse in the last few years, so she will be my last. In addition, she had a hard life before I bought her and already has arthritis. Hopefully, she will be around for a while yet though and she is enjoying a quiet life hacking.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I would defo get another but always kept stuff from previous horses as a momento ? I have Wills pelham bridle, put the bit in a frame i think. Coppers old handmade french saddle. Cherokees bridle. I sold most of Wills stuff as he was 7’3 rugs and there not the most popular lol

eahotson

Visit site
Aw, this thread's really sad. My life plan mainly involves acquiring smaller, wider and possibly older ponies until I drop dead. I couldn't even think of giving it up and I totally get the attachment to trusted saddles. I hope you all get to enjoy lots of new things and different adventures.
I had what I thought was smaller and wider.She is still wide but has grown!!!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I've still got a show bridle from when I was probably 16/17 good old English leather caverson...you just can't buy them anymore .

I've a few other bits too that ate just not ever going to be replaced.

I don't think I'll ever own a horse again, but the bits matter to me, and when a random knocks on your door going are the horses on the lane yours...bits come in handy.

My love of horses will never fade and if I could have a couple of babies to play with and do the ground work with to set them up for a ridden life I would, but injuries and a business ...yeah its never likely to happen.

Ps...what do u do with your life now...get a big aversion to rain...
Go abroad.
Lay in bed.
Have a clean car.

Most of all friends that have horses...are your ideal ill help you...go have some horse time amd then go home without the costs and 2/3 trips up on a wet winters night...

Spotherisk

Visit site
I've still got a show bridle from when I was probably 16/17 good old English leather caverson...you just can't buy them anymore .

I've a few other bits too that ate just not ever going to be replaced.

I don't think I'll ever own a horse again, but the bits matter to me, and when a random knocks on your door going are the horses on the lane yours...bits come in handy.

My love of horses will never fade and if I could have a couple of babies to play with and do the ground work with to set them up for a ridden life I would, but injuries and a business ...yeah its never likely to happen.

Ps...what do u do with your life now...get a big aversion to rain...
Go abroad.
Lay in bed.
Have a clean car.

Most of all friends that have horses...are your ideal ill help you...go have some horse time amd then go home without the costs and 2/3 trips up on a wet winters night...

I am still in bed, it’s 8.15am on Monday morning ?

ozpoz

Visit site
Gosh this is a heart pulling thread. Is there a way of making a really beloved saddle into something? Perhaps taking some of the leather and making into a necklace? Prob a stupid idea…

I’ve seen pictures of bar stool seats made of saddles. They’d look quite good in the right kind of kitchen.
I wouldn’t rule out the right horse turning up when you don’t expect it either.

Tarragon

Visit site
From the other side of the story, the last saddle I bought was a Strada. It was owned by a lovely old gent who had ridden well into his 70's in the New Forest. Real old-school horseman. After his last horse died, they stayed on for a few more years, then decided to move to rural Wales as it was cheaper, and that is when he felt that it was the right time to sell his beloved horse's tack.
When I got in touch, to arrange the payment and delivery of the saddle, we must have chatted for about an hour on the phone while he regaled me with fantastic stories of his horses. When the saddle arrived, the huge box included a photo of his old horse which I put up in my tack room and still have.
I really felt the significance of taking on this lovely saddle for the gentleman, and hope that he felt that it has gone to a good home and will be looked after.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
From the other side of the story, the last saddle I bought was a Strada. It was owned by a lovely old gent who had ridden well into his 70's in the New Forest. Real old-school horseman. After his last horse died, they stayed on for a few more years, then decided to move to rural Wales as it was cheaper, and that is when he felt that it was the right time to sell his beloved horse's tack.
When I got in touch, to arrange the payment and delivery of the saddle, we must have chatted for about an hour on the phone while he regaled me with fantastic stories of his horses. When the saddle arrived, the huge box included a photo of his old horse which I put up in my tack room and still have.
I really felt the significance of taking on this lovely saddle for the gentleman, and hope that he felt that it has gone to a good home and will be looked after.
Thats a genuine old school gentleman! What a lovely story! Gave me a lump in my throat.

My cousin who lives in herts, was the same as me and was riding since she was little! She is 12 years older than me though. So when I started riding mu uncle gave me her first ever riding crop . And to this day I have cherished it ? will put it in a frame in the hall when we have finished decorating ♥️

conkers

Visit site
It really is funny how common sense tells you that you won't be getting another horse yet you can't bear to part with the items that you've saved up hard to buy over the years.
I keep having random thoughts that I really did ought to sell the rugs I have now at the time of year that people want them. But I will probably still have them in the summer.
And I really cannot stand the thought of getting rid of my saddles. While ever I have them a tiny part of me can't help but think - perhaps - even while the sensible part of me knows that when my retired boy has gone that will be it.

Sealine

Visit site
It's so sad to read these posts. I'm 55 with a 21 year old semi-retired arthritic horse and I won't be getting another. I have so much stuff that I no longer use from a white dressage square to my hunt coat and everything in between. I recently started using my 'best' bridle for hacking. I've been contemplating selling my trailer and down-sizing my car as I've only been out in the trailer a handful of times in the last couple of years but that would feel very final. I've given bits and pieces away recently but some of the good stuff I should try and sell.

I had a little cry at the weekend after a friend sent me photos from her arena eventing outing at the weekend as it makes me feel so sad knowing that we'll never be able to do that again. I take comfort in remembering all the fun we've had together over the years and looking through all the photos. I also have a very elderly arthritic dog and I don't plan to get another for a while. I have no idea what I'll do without a horse or a dog apart from get fat(ter) and (more) unfit! :eek: OH and I plan to do some travelling in the camper van my husband is converting so that may keep me busy.

Borderreiver

Visit site
I considered it being my last pony when my homebred was ill and then sadly pts at the early age of 14 last year. I gave up riding a few years ago but love driving instead. The daily care routine is so ingrained isn’t it? I very soon found a new soulmate to keep me going in my late sixties though! He cheers me up just to look at him and he’s a great driver too. On for a bit longer then! It’s a personal decision but I know I’ve made the right one for me.

jumbyjack

Visit site
It took me while after I lost my horse but I came to realise that her massive amount of tack and rugs were not her so I did sell all of it. I have lovely memories of her that will never fade. I did the same when I lost my Shetland, some of her rugs I donated to the yard Shetland who has much appreciated them, a lot of the remainder were bought by a lovely donkey, it's nice to think he is using them rather than they were stuck in a cupboard.

Fire sign

Visit site
My lovely saddler, whom I have used for years took Mr B's saddle back and gave me another similar one that fitted Rose. It was second hand as he said I'd need to change it when she'd put on muscle. He exchanged that for a new one and I paid the difference, so I effectively had use of it foc for 6 months. Bless him, he took the new one back and gave me a very decent amount, pretty much what I had paid, when Rose was PTS. tbh I think he could see how upset I was!

Oh Oldie! Rose pts ? ? am so sorry I didn‘t know this …. Am so sorry

eahotson

Visit site
I am nearly there but not quite.I have a lovely young cob, bit bigger than I wanted but as sane and sensible as you could hope for.I ride her a bit and have a young rider who takes her to shows for me to do grass roots dressage.We have had some nice results and I am enjoying this.Young rider hasn't got her own horse so I am enjoying the "giving back bit" as well.

NLPM

Visit site
I've very recently lost my very best little horse, after 25 years. Read this thread at the weekend and couldn't get past the first few posts, but this line keeps coming back to me -

Grief is the price we pay for love.

I have thought of this sentence often over the past few days and for some reason find its straightforwardness incredibly helpful and comforting... It's helped me look at it differently & focus on the amazing memories of years full of love, rather than just wallowing and feeling sorry for myself. I'd pay every tear ten times over rather than change any of the memories! Thank you, Ratface.

I'm so sorry for all of you who are, or have been, in similar boats.
I will be selling most rugs etc. and am trying to get what I can gone ASAP (partly to get it out of sight and in part to put towards some memorial jewellery from Healing Hearts), but will never part with his headcollars, my oldest grooming brushes and my favourite rug. No idea what I'll do with it yet as it fits none of my other ponies/horses, and it's not a fleece so cushions are out of the question really, but I know I'm keeping it!

Last edited:

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
Well I'm still in denial. I have a vitual tack shop of everything from shettie mounted games and driving harness, vehicle, native showing in hand and ridden tack, serious eventing equipment, every sort of starting/rehabilitating stuff you could want and all the saddles, travelling gear, etc. not to mention all the rugs and so on. My retires are all happy living out with minimal care but all I want now is a little cobby type person (or a Hackney cross) that I can enjoy bringing on for a bit of a laugh. Obviously I'm a bit delusional.