The Reason I Dislike Post & Rail

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
That is incredible, thanks for posting the pictures. I thought when you said 'buttons' it would be some medical term for something clever and technical, not actual buttons! Such a good idea. You would think he would have them all matching though
tongue.gif

Patches

Visit site
Only just seen the thread. Poor girlie. It looks incredibly sore, bless her.

What a fabulous job the vet has done in reattaching the flap of skin. I do hope it "takes", as it's such a neat job. Must've taken him ages to fine stitch that. Loving the buttons idea too....wonder what made him come up with that ingenious plan.

I know I probably shouldn't ask, but as it's a grey leg....I do hope it's not Cloud who has been injured. Not that any of your others are less important (or maybe they are where Cloud is concerned).

Healing vibes for your girl and a pat on the back for the vet.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
Wow, what a horrid looking cut
frown.gif
Hope she feels better soon, sorry to say I did laugh a little bit when I saw her leg buttoned together! Interesting though because I had never heard of that or seen it done.

Hope sh feels better soon
smile.gif
xx

Tia

Visit site
Thank you everyone
smile.gif

Patches, I know what you mean, but no it isn't little Cloud; it is Spirit. Spirit is a lovely calm mare; she's the one Megan has been competing with great success. Hoping she will be up and running for the competition season this year and I will be looking to sell her this year so hopefully no permanent damage has been done. She's totally sound though and I didn't see any ligament/tendon damage, so fingers crossed. She's very sweet however when I went anywhere near her leg today, she flinched violently, so I did twitch her to get the bandages off and cleaned up and new ones put on. Far better than struggling and her being in discomfort. The bute should have kicked in well by tomorrow so she may not be quite as protective over her leg then.

I changed her dressings today and the leg is still looking good. It's a little bit dark but I am just hoping that this is due to the cream and the residue from the iodine/blood yesterday. I guess I will know in a couple of days whether the skin has taken or not, but so far it looks promising. There is no swelling so far, which is really good news as this was my worry.

Yes the buttons are a totally new one on me too, but oh so clever as they bear the brunt of the knots on the stitches.
cool.gif

Vinyl fencing; yes it comes in black, brown, green and white
smile.gif
. I didn't really want white, but as I have it partly as a visual barrier, or our foals, white it really had to be. Doesn't work well at this time of year mind you, Lol! But we have no snow for 8 months a year so had to go for what would be most practical for the majority of the year. I personally love black fencing
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
There is a bit of give in it - that's why it is so safe. The horses bump into it, it gives a little and then bounces them back to safety. I have mine all tensioned fairly tightly so that it doesn't sag, however you can tension it to however you prefer. I initially only bought it to fence the foal fields but it was soooo good and sooo safe for them, that I then started to refence the large horses fields in it too. I can't afford the 3 strands of the thick rail though, not for the whole farm, it's just too expensive, which is why I opted for the top rail with 3 other round vinyl wires below. So yes it is expensive when you have as much fencing as I have
crazy.gif
, BUT now I am on this mission, I'm not stopping. I'd never use anything else now.

charlie76

Visit site
I agree with you re the post and rail statement. We had our worst injury with post and rain. The horse leant on it, the top rail snapped and got caught in the rug strap and impaled itself into the horses stomach, the wound wet from her teats to her chest and all of her intestines fell out. Awful.

annunziata

Visit site
well that is a very impressive wound we have electric tap which is much better than post and rail. What happened to yours is one of my biggest worries!! Ihope that she is improving I do love the buttons

Fransurrey

Visit site
*makes mental note to add buttons to first aid kit*

Brilliant veterinary work, Tia. Hope she's ok. I need to replace some fencing, so will check out those links.