The Tessy bear BOGOF thread

Spring Feather

Visit site
Oh that picture of her pointy belly suggests she's going to foal much sooner than your vet thinks! I'd say within a few days going by that piccy and the one of her flacid butt.

goodtimes

Visit site
I too will be watching this thread. Good luck and enjoy. She is beautiful and here's hoping she has an equally beautiful and healthy foal.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
I've been following your threads with intrest. Glad you have your head round it all and its happens all to often with mares. Luckily she has found you.

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread and cant wait to see lots of pics.

tessybear

Visit site
I've been following your threads with intrest. Glad you have your head round it all and its happens all to often with mares. Luckily she has found you.

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread and cant wait to see lots of pics.
Thank you :) Well that's it the old owner clearly didn't care about her :( she could have ended up with a person who couldn't afford both of them.

how Lovely :D Shes such a lovely girly cant wait to see her baby :D

Thank you lovely :), neither can i eeeek

doriangrey

Visit site
This was my mare's last foal a few hours after the birth (you can still see the blood on her off hind). Despite all the plans I had in place, she foaled down naturally in the field every time and I always missed it! I always kept a very close eye on them, but never needed to do anything special. Make sure you have your vet/stud on hand but try not to worry, especially if she has foaled before. Have a look at the side of her my mare's tail, very very soft, it's a good indication that she is near. Good luck Tess - here is the show name :D - Tess' Easter Surprise (Easter is a cool name for a colt or filly), oh and I bet your dad turns into a pile of mush when he sees foalie and mum will be the pragmatist :D

picture.php

morrismob

Visit site
Thank you lovely :D, it took us 5 years to beg for a dog... this may take a lot of crocodile tears:p[/QUOTE]

Just wait till he meets foalie even better make sure he's around when he/she is born. Good luck. I did it 2 years ago but it was planned. Only advice I have is stick to the foaling timelines, if they go over speak to your vet. Give your dad the job of timing every stage ! :D

tessybear

Visit site
This was my mare's last foal a few hours after the birth (you can still see the blood on her off hind). Despite all the plans I had in place, she foaled down naturally in the field every time and I always missed it! I always kept a very close eye on them, but never needed to do anything special. Make sure you have your vet/stud on hand but try not to worry, especially if she has foaled before. Have a look at the side of her my mare's tail, very very soft, it's a good indication that she is near. Good luck Tess - here is the show name :D - Tess' Easter Surprise (Easter is a cool name for a colt or filly), oh and I bet your dad turns into a pile of mush when he sees foalie and mum will be the pragmatist :D

picture.php

how beautiful is both mare and foal ! Thank you for the hints im going down at 7 to check on her :eek: my mind is going crazy :p Easter i love it :D:cool:

Thank you lovely :D, it took us 5 years to beg for a dog... this may take a lot of crocodile tears:p

Just wait till he meets foalie even better make sure he's around when he/she is born. Good luck. I did it 2 years ago but it was planned. Only advice I have is stick to the foaling timelines, if they go over speak to your vet. Give your dad the job of timing every stage ! :D[/QUOTE]

Very true, that is why i am scared if we miss it :( Incase something goes wrong but vet was very confident she would be fine

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh my, she sure does look pregnant! As soon as I saw that picture on the other thread I was like whoa!

If it is only a few days then wow, you only got the vet out the other day! Crazy!

I hope it goes well I really do, you will be great and Tessy will be a star!

tessybear

Visit site
Oh my, she sure does look pregnant! As soon as I saw that picture on the other thread I was like whoa!

If it is only a few days then wow, you only got the vet out the other day! Crazy!

I hope it goes well I really do, you will be great and Tessy will be a star!

She feels it too ! was looking very sorry for herslef when Mini T was doing flips :cool:

I know it's mental how quick things have gone

Thank you lovely im sure she will show us the ropes

morrismob

Visit site
Very true, that is why i am scared if we miss it :( Incase something goes wrong but vet was very confident she would be fine[/QUOTE]

She is an experienced mum she'll know what to do but this was my biggest fear. Read everything you can and I promise, you wont miss the signs, sloopy poo gave us away. If you are there I was told by a very good friend not to be surprised if it at times it looked violent. Thank god she warned me as it was when mare was bouncing off the walls with foals head out. Take lots of deep breaths stick to your times and nature will take its course. I am actually quite envious it is such an amazing thing to witness and I have 3 kids and dog has had 2 litters but when my boy entered the world I was truly gobsmacked. Look on the breeding forum they are sooo helpful :D

Fransurrey

Visit site
I've already mentioned that I know zilch about breeding, but there is a yard opposite my field that breeds. The mares there get that pointy look days before foaling. I'm another, therefore that thinks days, not weeks!

There are lots of Youtube vids of foaling mares. Have you checked any out (and scared yourself silly :D ) yet?

ladyt25

Visit site
Do you know what foals she had before? I am assuming traditional cob types? Is the person you bought her from the one who previously bred from her and did they just run the mares with their stallion? If so, are they close enough for you to drive and have a nosey at what's in the field to hazard a guess at who might be the dad - a bit of spying you might say! :D
Maybe just go surprise the previous owners in person if they are ignoring you and just say all you want to know is who the sire is likely to be.

tessybear

Visit site
Very true, that is why i am scared if we miss it :( Incase something goes wrong but vet was very confident she would be fine

She is an experienced mum she'll know what to do but this was my biggest fear. Read everything you can and I promise, you wont miss the signs, sloopy poo gave us away. If you are there I was told by a very good friend not to be surprised if it at times it looked violent. Thank god she warned me as it was when mare was bouncing off the walls with foals head out. Take lots of deep breaths stick to your times and nature will take its course. I am actually quite envious it is such an amazing thing to witness and I have 3 kids and dog has had 2 litters but when my boy entered the world I was truly gobsmacked. Look on the breeding forum they are sooo helpful :D[/QUOTE]

Ah thank you :) it must be an amazing experience :D

I've already mentioned that I know zilch about breeding, but there is a yard opposite my field that breeds. The mares there get that pointy look days before foaling. I'm another, therefore that thinks days, not weeks!

There are lots of Youtube vids of foaling mares. Have you checked any out (and scared yourself silly :D ) yet?

EEEEK i really am giving it max 3-4 days :p Yes i have and i went into panick mode again :rolleyes:

OK I'm up to date .... Pheeew :eek:

Very excited :D
You deserve a prize for that :cool::D Me too finally :p

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I agree with SF, probably sooner than 2 weeks.

She is such a beautiful girl. I will be checking in daily to see how it's going.

Not all mares are stand offish. Stella has kind of gotten used to the humans in her life making everything just right and is more than happy for you to occupy foal while she gets a break! Seriously after she got up from foaling you could nearly see her looking at you like "I need a clean up here and the wet yucky stuff needs cleaned out and replaced with fresh. And while you're at it some more hay and hot food would be great. Thank you. "

Terri

monsterwillow

Visit site
so exciting for you! my mare still has about 9 weeks to go feels like forever.

how is her udder today? keep us updated with daily pictures of her boobs too :D xx

Nicnac

Visit site
Gosh - you may have the best ever Easter present looking at her ;)

She's so serene; can't wait to see pics of Tessybubs

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Just want to add my congratulations, I'll be following the thread avidly!!!!

Oh, and here's a little tale. 43 years ago to this very day (it was a Good Friday) I'd taken my new 3 year old mare, I'd only owned her for 2 weeks, for a walk around the lanes in hand. She was uncharacteristically slow that day, lots of stop and start, so I cut the walk short, popped her back in the field with my gelding and went home (I was a clueless teenager in those days). A couple of hours later a neighbour knocked on the door to say that something funny was happening to one of my horses. Dad and me dashed up to the field to find..OMG....she'd had a foal!! She'd literally just given birth, her and the gelding were stood looking at this minutes old foal in absolute shock, as did we. The foal was a gorgeous chestnut filly with white socks, Dad ran home and called the vet who came out and said mare and foal were both completely fine and healthy. The odd thing was that the mare hadn't looked pregnant at all, well really I had no idea about teats at the time but she was finely built and there was no baby bump. The woman who'd sold her to us, who was an experienced dealer, had no idea the mare was in foal either, hmmmmm, well that's what she said!!

Toast

Visit site
Holy hell, scrap everything I said on the other thread. Do NOT move that mare. Have you got your foaling bed down? You need to make sure that goes down tomorrow if it isn't already. (That's if your planning to foal inside which I would personally recommend with the night's going so cold) Get your foaling kit ready (big bucket for placenta, silver/purple spray, a Bute for afterwards, scissors, a baby bottle and teat incase you need to milk the mare..though unlikely) make sure you have the vets number and stud on speed dial. And get ready for a foal in the next week.
Read up on waxing up, a honey coloured substance that you'll find on the teats, this usually indicates your 12/24 hrs from foaling. If she's running milk you'll see baby within 12hrs.
Good luck!!

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What a lovely idea to start the thread for future owner!! How fab to have updates and pics from the start!

Dying to see what she has, I reckon she looks ready to drop at any time. It would be lovely if it were this weekend!

monsterwillow

Visit site
Holy hell, scrap everything I said on the other thread. Do NOT move that mare. Have you got your foaling bed down? You need to make sure that goes down tomorrow if it isn't already. (That's if your planning to foal inside which I would personally recommend with the night's going so cold) Get your foaling kit ready (big bucket for placenta, silver/purple spray, a Bute for afterwards, scissors, a baby bottle and teat incase you need to milk the mare..though unlikely) make sure you have the vets number and stud on speed dial. And get ready for a foal in the next week.
Read up on waxing up, a honey coloured substance that you'll find on the tears, this usually indicates your 12/24 hrs from foaling. If she's running milk you'll see baby within 12hrs.
Good luck!!

why have spray and bute ready? xx