The things non-horsey people say......

Hoopsa

Visit site
A totally non-horsey friend told me that horses at a riding school in her village have shingles. I replied that I had never heard of horses getting shingles. It wasn't until the following day that it hit me! She meant strangles.
:D
Any other examples? :confused:

rockyxrio

Visit site
My boyfriend wondered how I was riding my horse without talking to her - he thought you told them what to do with commands like a dog xD didn't realise you used your legs/seat/hands at all! He also was confused on why a horse was being long reined with tack in preparation for backing, he thought they just didn't mind being ridden so you could get straight on them.

Last edited:

Love

Visit site
I was at the yard one day with White_Magic on here and her brother was there too. He went to put belle's rug on, picked up the fillet string and says "what's this? And why's it wet?" Was hilarious!!!

TandD

Visit site
A totally non-horsey friend told me that horses at a riding school in her village have shingles. I replied that I had never heard of horses getting shingles. It wasn't until the following day that it hit me! She meant strangles.
:D
Any other examples? :confused:

your friend doesnt live bewteen southampton and salisbury does she?

my dad seems to think that all livery yards are 'riding schools'....ive given up on his education over such matters :eek:

kellybee

Visit site
Am currently in the process of re-schooling an ex pacer. BF (who is completely non-horsey but does give my lot their feeds every morning) came and sat on the fence whilst waiting for me yesterday.

BF; "Can you make it run?"
Me; "No, he doesn't know how yet, we're learning to walk and trot without panicking or going too fast".
BF; "What? He knows how to run, are you honestly telling me you've never seen him do it? He runs at me when I feed him every morning".
*sigh*

jfdi

Visit site
From my lovely dad after I'd been having riding lessons for a year...

"Why are you still paying for lessons? Surely you can sit on a horse by now..."

:)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Public footpath in the field next to my horses- hear a woman screaming at her friend..

'DONT TOUCH THOSE HORSES!'
'why?'
'Look' *points at muzzles* 'Those horses are aggressive'

Grazing muzzles have so many uses :D

horseluver4eva

Visit site
Quite petty but so many people say "is 'name' going to see their horse today?" or "do you go and see your horses much?" no we just go when we feel like it!! seriously people don't understand how much dedication and time horses take up.
But the good thing about having a non horsey father is that if i need something for Jack or theres something i would like checked out on him by the vet but nothing major i can just tell him that its very important and without it he'll be lame, catch a cold etc so we need the vet or whatever asap :rolleyes: i do take advantage but for the love of my horsey;)

Fjord

Visit site
Public footpath in the field next to my horses- hear a woman screaming at her friend..

'DONT TOUCH THOSE HORSES!'
'why?'
'Look' *points at muzzles* 'Those horses are aggressive'

Grazing muzzles have so many uses :D

I was riding on my very safe and sensible little mare, with a friend on her slightly spooky youngster, wearing his nose net. We met a chap who refused to fuss my mare, because he was scared of horses, but patted my friend's boy because he had a 'muzzle' on!

TandD

Visit site
your friend doesnt live bewteen southampton and salisbury does she?

Yes! Do we have a mutual acquaintance? :)

in the village that starts with a W and ends in parish?

oh no just that the news of strangles spreads like wild fire and we've all be on alert to look out for signs......... said riding school didnt keep 'contained'.... well worried wasnt the right word! live only 5mins down the road!!!!!

Emsarr

Visit site
I was leading a friend's mare wearing a fly mask back to her field one day and you have to walk down a little road to get to it, I got to the yard junction and a car stopped with a couple of older ladies in it.

Them "Why have you got that on it's head? It can't see"
Me "Yes she can, it's a mesh fly mask"
Them "No, it isn't! I can't see it's eyes!!"

I ended up having to take it off to show them:eek:

MoGhileMear

New User
Visit site
Anyone could ride a horse, you just sit there, or, how are your muscles sore? It's not like it's exercise (after 4 hours in the saddle). That is what annoys me most!!!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Worringly, by someone who had recently bought a horse....to OH.

'I'm really cross at the farrier'...

OH - 'Why?'

'Coz the shoes are falling off already!'

OH - 'How long have they been on?'

'Only 9 weeks! I'd have thought we would have gotten a good 6 months out of them before they had to be changed..'

...and no, I'm not fibbing..... :p

mynutmeg

Visit site
lol @ shingles.

The one that winds me up - 'What? You go *every* day? Even Christmas Day?' :confused:

We even go twice a day sometimes :eek::eek: Christmas day at the yard is really nice - there's something special about it

I was leading a friend's mare wearing a fly mask back to her field one day and you have to walk down a little road to get to it, I got to the yard junction and a car stopped with a couple of older ladies in it.

Them "Why have you got that on it's head? It can't see"
Me "Yes she can, it's a mesh fly mask"
Them "No, it isn't! I can't see it's eyes!!"

I ended up having to take it off to show them:eek:

I get this all the time even from horsey folk - they don't believe my mare can see until I hold the mask up for them to look through :rolleyes:

stargirl88

Visit site
I cracked my toes yesterday.....

Person next to me askes "does that happen because you ride?" .........really?? Where is the logic in that!? I told him it was and he believed me!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've never forgotten taking my ex to the stables the night before a show so I could check my dirt magnet of a mare and give her a feed.

Ex stared at bucket and seemed quite concerned I was about to feed her it. Turns out he thought horses eat meat that came in "big dog food tins" and he was worried she wouldn't have enough energy to compete in the morning if she didn't get some meat.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I've never forgotten taking my ex to the stables the night before a show so I could check my dirt magnet of a mare and give her a feed.

Ex stared at bucket and seemed quite concerned I was about to feed her it. Turns out he thought horses eat meat that came in "big dog food tins" and he was worried she wouldn't have enough energy to compete in the morning if she didn't get some meat.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: