The things non-horsey people say......

Suechoccy

Visit site
I used to pony my piebald shetland from my 16hh skewbald gelding. Frequently heard "agh, look at the baby horsey out with his mum or dad."

littleshetland

Visit site
I introduced OH to my horse many many years ago when we first met. We chatted about her for a while, I then said I would have to go and organise some more hay for her - he was shocked when 40 bales turned up. He honestly thought that I would nip down the pet shop for a guinea pig size plastic bag full....

Elle33

Visit site
OH: Shall we go away for the BH weekend?
Me: Yes, as long as I can get someone to look after the horse
OH: What, you have to do her on bank holidays too, can't you just leave her for 2 days with a load of hay in the stable?
Me: "sighs"

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My poor bf, being shown a youtube video of Andreas Helgstrand riding Don Schufro (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqd7cHIVF2k I thought showing him something with more exciting music might interest him a bit more in my wobbly little intro tests) said: "I suppose they can't afford the rights to the whole song?" :D I think they have enough money that they could pay for the bands to play live if they wanted... including Pink Floyd

Hahaha!!! Could you imagine poor Don Schufro having to prance his way through a whole Pink Floyd song! He could be there for hours...

Sizzlea89

Visit site
My OH didn't realise that it is possible to stop a 15.2 cob from walking and so got dragged accross the yard. He hasn't handled my welsh section A since.
He is also amazed that when pirate rears up that I still have a hold of the lead rope and tell him to get down. He said "he's dancing with you!"I replied "Ehm no dear he's trying to take over the world and your his first victim" no wonder he's terrified oh horses. Haha.

Oh oh and his mother came out with a cracker. "Why does he need shavings? I don't think they would taste very nice for him. Can you not get him a can of pony food? Does he pee in his house or does he hold it all night until he goes out in the field?"

Love

Visit site
My uni is right by Worcester racecourse. When I started uni in September there were quite a few non horsey people who were amazed I had my own pony. On no less than 3 seperate occasions when I explained I missed him as he was back home and not here with me my non horsey friends replied something along the lines of "can't you just keep him on the racecourse? They won't mind if you ask, they don't use it much"

Bless them.

confusedmum

Visit site
the woman who was viewing our house that was up for sale asked if the mirrors in the stables were for them to do their make up in !

confirmedponyaddict

Visit site
Can't remember many off the top of my head but I do remember the first time my OH saw a horse walker he said "That looks like a horsey prison, is that where you put the naughty ones?"
Bless him, didn't know whether it was easier to agree or try and explain...

star26

Visit site
I used to pony my piebald shetland from my 16hh skewbald gelding. Frequently heard "agh, look at the baby horsey out with his mum or dad."

hahaha! This happened to my sister the other day. She was out round the lanes riding her horse, and leading our 20 year-old 12hh pony, when she came across a group of walkers. One of them started pointing at the pony and shouting to the rest of the group 'Oh look everyone, what a cute baby foal!' I am still laughing about it now!

Visit site
I love these kinds of threads so i had to join in!

I asked my sister how old her boyfriends sisters horse was, her response was 'oh shes only a pony' bless her, she thought ponies were baby horses!

Also recently my friend was advertising for a sharer for her 17.1hh ISH mare, she put a few pics up and was honest enough. She got an email from someone telling her that they knew a lot about horses and she shouldnt lie about her horses size, shes obviously only about 15 hands, 17 hands is the size of a shire horse and that would be ridiculous, you can tell from the photos shes only small and she should get more educated!!! My friend was fuming!!!! I just can't understand why anyone would feel the need to email someone to say that, especially someone thats so very wrong! She makes my 16.2 TB look small!

Meems

Visit site
I was riding my coloured cob x mare around Epsom Downs once and we passed by a little boy of about 5 with his mum. It must have been his first time over the Downs because he looked at us in awe and I overheard him saying to his mum "it's true, you DO get to see racehorses here" aaaaawwwwwwww so sweet!!

Fides

Visit site
A little boy stopped me and asked why my horse was wearing shin pads. I replied that he likes to skateboard but had fallen off and we were looking for it. His mum tutted...

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
LOL @ all of these! Aside from the usual, 'riding's easy, you just sit there' etc. I've had a few people ask me how long horses live, then ask how old my lot are (28, 25, 20 and 11) and they just look at me wanting to ask how long I expect mine to go on for. Might just ask how long they expect their dog or cat to live. Seems really weird!

Also, as Saf is wearing her boots for hacking at the moment, I get folk who just can't work out that horses don't HAVE to have shoes on. If they go on the road, they absolutely must have those shoes on, no compromise with these non-horsey people haha!

Sizzlea89

Visit site
A little boy stopped me and asked why my horse was wearing shin pads. I replied that he likes to skateboard but had fallen off and we were looking for it. His mum tutted...

Hahahahaha amazing!!! Reminds me of when I took my dog out with a skateboard and he went away down the park on this skateboard barking at the wheels while on it. He was in the local paper hahaha.

Gwyntbryn

Visit site
A friend at work when i was talking about getting the farrier out. "oh so do they put the hard bit on the end of the fluffy bit of the horses legs". I explained once i stopped laughing

We once had from someone who watched a horse being shod "How often do they have to change the wooden bit?" She meant the hoof!

Sizzlea89

Visit site
Speaking of shoes. My non horsey friend asked the farrier while he was trimming pirates hooves if he was getting shoes on because he has to walk on the road to go to the field to which my farrier replied "no his feet are too small and his big toe is too small to support stilettos at the moment"
she accepted it as fact and told her partner who laughed and said that you don't get stilettos for horses!

i actually fell over laughing.

islander

Visit site
Some time ago my then boyfriend (non-horsey) accompanied me to a point-to-point and asked me why several of the horses wore "mufflers" - he meant sheepskin nosebands. I explained to him what they were but he was so pleased with his description that he kept referring to them all day. I retaliated by calling the toe-clips on his racing bike "stirrups".

texenstar

Visit site
I quite often get looks of horror from non-horsey people that find out that I have fallen off/been bitten or kicked more times than I care to count and that I still ride and spend time with horses. They believe that no one ever falls off or gets injured (even minor) and that it's an incredibly rare occurrence. They must think we are all crazy dare devils when they find out! :D Great thread!

Nessa4

Visit site
A friend of mine had taken up riding in his thirties and had been for a hack, when we got back the YO at the Riding School asked him to untack his horse and he disappeared with horse into stables. I had untacked and rugged my mount and was going to see how he was coping when he appeared and handed me a bundle of straps, ssaying "Couldn't remember which buckle to undo, so I undid them all. Also his rug is on but doesn't look quite right." I went to check and the rug was on, all buckles and sircingles done up, - Back to front. Very confused looking horse!!

shannonandtay

Visit site
Daughter sent non horsey dad to catch the pony from the field, when he came back with him daughter asked did he come when you called. No dad said but he was wagging his tail at me. LOL

Sizzlea89

Visit site
Daughter sent non horsey dad to catch the pony from the field, when he came back with him daughter asked did he come when you called. No dad said but he was wagging his tail at me. LOL

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this got me a good laugh. My other half is a bit like that!! He would walk round the outside of the field to bring the pony in though. Then wonder why a very confused pony wouldn't walk with him to the gate.

shannonandtay

Visit site
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this got me a good laugh. My other half is a bit like that!! He would walk round the outside of the field to bring the pony in though. Then wonder why a very confused pony wouldn't walk with him to the gate.

Bless them they do try don't they:D the funny thing was that when my daughter was telling me that evening and we were laughing he was still going, yeah but he was wagging his tail at me!

Annagain

Visit site
My (albeit rather large, strong, rugby playing) OH watched as I got dragged across the yard by my old git of a Section D who had zero manners and decided as I was just a weak feeble girl he would have to lead him as he was obvioulsy strong enough to stop him doing it (having never led a horse before). You can imagine my delight as he went concrete skiing past me and then ended up on his backside thanks to well timed shoulder nudge from my boy. I swear he winked at me.

My favourite though was my friend's little boy who came have a ride on my boy (same old git but he was a darling with kids!). After we turned him out, he had a wee in the field and they little boy said very excitedly. "Mummy he's got a fold-away willy, can I have one!"

XxCoriexX

Visit site
I remember taking my sister and her very very non-horsey boyfriend up to the yard to meet my new girl. On our way into the arena my friend walked past with his beautiful grey gelding! Sisters boyfriend says ' I feel bad for that one being ridden when he is so old.........I asked why he though he was old......and he said......because his hair has turned grey!!!!' well me and my sister were falling about laughing bless him, especially when he found out that the gelding was actually only 5 and a year younger than my ginger girl! Poor boy was so embarrassed, especially since he had said it rather loudly and everyone at the arena heard him! BLESS!

pipper

Visit site
One know it all chap was talking to me about horses - we were in a group of people - one asked what the difference between a horse and a pony was......
His answer:
A baby horse is a fowl?????!!!!
Then it becomes a Shetland.
Then it turns into a pony.
It then is a horse......
And when it's fully grown and old it becomes a SHIRE!!!!!
Oh how I laughed!!!!