The x ray following my 'something of nothing' fall.

Girlracer

Visit site
Hello all!

As some of you know I had a fall off my thoroughbred four weeks ago now during a jump lesson. He spun right and I went left from a canter which has happened a thousand times since I started riding.

In my defence he is EXTEMELY sharp and when he says no he really says no!

Anyway I landed on my feet, but felt my right ankle 'go'. Most horrendous thing (my first ever break and I'm 21) and not something I want to repeat in a hurry as I am, quite frankly, a total wuss.

Anyway I screamed and rolled around and cried whilst they cut off my new Ariat boots :)() then cleaned the ambulance out of morphine and still didnt feel weird (as im told ypu do when you have morphine) when I got to hospital.

Turned out I'd dislocated my ankle (majority of the pain I think, as it felt so much better after being set) and broken my ankle in three places.

Week in hospital and an op later, I went home. Have since had stitches out and a 'proper' cast rather than the back slab.

Have only seen my boy twice (relying on people driving me there) and he's out stuffing his face turning feral. The YO is being great looking after him. Anyway enough waffle here's some photos!

The day before the fall...

null.jpg

The X-ray

null-32.jpg

And war wound

null-33.jpg

null-34.jpg

And a couple from my visits.

null-16.jpg

null-18.jpg

null-38.jpg

Lack of horse interaction is killing me!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Landing on your feet is fatal. That's what did for my knee too!

Awesome x-ray and dislocations really do hurt (more than breaks for definite)! Hope you heal well :)

quirky

Visit site
On the bright side, it's summer and the ground is hard enough to hobble in and see him.
Just think how much worse it would be in winter :eek:.

Hope you heal soon and that you manage to get some summer riding in :).

A question ... I am on phone, so small photo ... what is that loop on your saddle? I can see the breast plate but it isn't that I don't think. It goes from the D rings down towards the bottom of the saddle flap.
I know it's going to be something obvious and I'm going to look stupid :eek: but I'll ask anyway :D

Girlracer

Visit site
Thank you all!

Well I'm going back on July the fourth that will be almost eight weeks since I broke it and I'm hoping I can gradually start putting weight on it from then.

It's been suggested I walk in a pool at first to build it up.

quirky

Visit site
Right, I've worked it out :)
I thought the knee block was just a gap ... I can see it's a block now.
Told you I'd look stupid :p:eek::D

melbiswas

Visit site
Impressive metal work, tho you do seem to have a screw loose !!

Love the way he is kissing it better. He looks a real sweetie.

Be a good girl on Box Rest; I have known internal fixation slip, buckle etc from weight- bearing too soon against advice.

Hunter93

Visit site
Love the photos! Obv son glove your injuries. I screamed ALOT when I got chucked off pretty sure I've fractured my cheek bone. Hoping a speedy recovery!

SadKen

Visit site
Yowzers. My mate did something similar missing the bottom step on the stairs, your story is much more glamorous! Get well soon. Also the pic of you in the wheelchair with Mr handsome made me chuckle!

Girlracer

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

It was funny when I was in hospital pretty much every nurse commented on how many equine related injuries there were the few weeks before and during my stay. And noticed a lot on here too, wonder if its a spring grass, feeling well type thing?

I am following doctors orders to the letter as desperately don't want it to cause me too many problems in the future.

Get well soon to everyone else who is currently injured !

suffolkmare

Visit site
Ouch! You did a proper job there...many sympathy vibes for quick healing.
My daughter came off her bike 5 weeks ago, night before a planned hack with her friend, she chipped her Rt elbow - in a sling for 2 wks till she got fed up and just used her arm as usual - and suspected fracture Lt wrist (scaphoid) which they just gave her a splint for. It was re xrayed after 2 weeks, but not conclusive, she started riding again :confused: as it wasn't painful, but then they decided to do MRI and on Thursday it was put in plaster...no riding for another 5 weeks :(. So technically she has been riding (W, t and even a little c) with 2 broken arms :eek: But now definitely has to follow Dr's orders, and mine! She needs to be healed for the holidays!

Nicnac

Visit site
Don't do things by halves do you? Ouch!

Are they taking the ironmongery out or will they leave it for a bit?

Wishing you speedy healing and that you can get back out on your beautiful horse again soon.

mandwhy

Visit site
Awww that looks and sounds horrendous!

Look after yourself now and I hope you feel much better soon, walking in a pool sounds like a good idea xxx