Thermatex versus weatherbeeta thermotex

booandellie

Visit site
I have been considering buying a thermatex rug for a while now and following a recent thread on here about stabling sweaty horses it was mentioned there was a summer version of this rug. So i have been online and almost bought one of these rugs, they are £140 and you get to choose the colour and binding colour( which is great), they are very expensive though so before i committed i put a wanted ad on a local fb site and someone is selling a weatherbeeta thermotex second hand. Are they comparable in effectiveness or is the big budget thermatex really so effective it is worth every penny?Thanks

Smitty

Visit site
I had a Thermalux (the Weatherbeater one) for years. I still have it! No idea on comparison with the expensive version, but mine went on as a cooler, stable rug and under a rain sheet in iffy weather. Apart from the buckles being a bit rusty, it is still in good condition.

It was a VERY versatile rug.

Shavings

Visit site
I have a thermatex i picked it up for £5 at a tack sale, the girl said all the items on her table where from her mothers horse but they had lost it, it was still in its bag and only had 5 gray hairs on it so i feel i got a steel, but i am lead to believe the weatherbeeta ones do just the same job!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've had thermatex and just about every version over the years!
I'd say they basically of course do the same thing but a real thermatex fits nicer! (As in sort if moulds to the horse!) they are quite generous in actual size but they are just nicer!
They also last absolutely forever!

fishy

Visit site
I have a mark todd coolex (thicker than a standard thermatex) and a thermatex. I think the thermatex is better for drying off but the coolex is great as a day rug. Both from eBay at a fraction of their original price. X

PorkChop

Visit site
You cannot beat a Thermatex imo.

I personally don't like the summer version as I don't think it fits quite as well, remember if you do get one to go down one size :)

booandellie

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, i like the fact they are so generous in size as my girl is hard to fit rug wise. I will have a look on ebay first otherwise i have chosen my colours! That's my xmas pressie sorted then!!

booandellie

Visit site
I have a thermatex i picked it up for £5 at a tack sale, the girl said all the items on her table where from her mothers horse but they had lost it, it was still in its bag and only had 5 gray hairs on it so i feel i got a steel, but i am lead to believe the weatherbeeta ones do just the same job!

WOW! That was a very jammy find

Pocketr@cket

Visit site
I've had a thermatex and felt it snagged really easily, replaced it with a coolex which is thicker and seems to be harder wearing. I also have a swish exercise sheet which is the same material.

I think thermatex are expensive as they were one of a kind years ago, but now are a bit inflated due to choice.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I asked on here about thermatex a few weeks ago and someone recommended the premier equine ones which are £92.99 (although I alerted family members to me need of one for christmas when they were reduced to £60 in the black friday sale - I look forward to opening it on xmas morning!)

Just checked on Swish equestrian and their verson are currently on offer for £50 (edit - ignore that, only tiny or massive sizes left)

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I picked up a second hand Thermatex (previously used by a Scottish Grand National Winner) for £50 on a local FB site - the best purchase I have made, I use it daily! I considered alternatives, but I thought that Thermatex must have such a good reputation for a reason....

Micropony

Visit site
I haven't seen anything directly equivalent to a summer weight thermatex in a different brand so if that's what you want rather than a fleece type rug then I think you might need to go for broke. There are lots of copies of the thicker thermies but not the summer weight ones, or at least not that I have seen. Having said that, I had one and didn't much like it, not a good fit on my chap and I didn't like the fastenings. Fabric is lovely though.

Luci07

Visit site
Thermatex are great and long lasting rugs. I have a number which are nearing 25 years old and still going strong. Don't work as under rugs for me as they will slip back but a complete godsend with a wet horse.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I love the knitted cooler type of rugs - like Thermatex. They're so versatile, wash easily and come up looking like new. For "best" I've got a Thermatex T2000 with the smaller squares - it's great because it doesn't stretch as much as the ones with larger squares - which I've had in the past but turned out way too big for my horse. Then for every day I've got an old Masta equivalent with cross surcingles and it's been such a great buy - it was a far cheaper alternative but has lasted and lasted. I've also had my eye on the Premtex cooler from Premier Equine, which I've seen and they are lovely rugs. I've also got a Colin Cook Thermalux quarter sheet, but tbh not so keen on that as it snags so easily - in the past I've had one of the Thermalux rugs and it stretched around the chest and again it snagged all over the place! Finally in my collection, I've got a Mark Todd Coolex exercise sheet which is great - it's great fabric.

Another alternative that I saw on Lemieux stand at Stoneleigh was the Lemieux Thermo-Cool rug which at £69.95 looked like a great buy! Although it's made of the conventional outer of knitted "squares" fabric, it's got a special whicking liner across the top of the rug.

However, the rug I would really love to have is the Thermatex in Navy blue, knitted with the union jack design instead of the squares.....

Last edited: