They say never meet your childhood hero....

southerncomfort

Visit site
Was thinking about this thread yesterday and reflecting on the fact that the only group of people that it is still thought morally and socially acceptable to refer to in unpleasant and derogatory terms is women.

In fact I'd argue its worse now than it ever has been.

I've never thought of myself as a feminist particularly, but their seems to me to be wide spread misogyny throughout society, that is not just accepted, but colluded in by almost every section of society but most especially by those in the public eye.

And we're supposed to just shut up and take it. ?

sunnyone

Visit site
There is another group who can be vilified openly and on the BBC too: those of us who were born to unmarried parents. I lost count of how many times the word B*****d was used last night in The Goes Wrong Show!
They may see it as just another filler word but when I was little it brought such shame on my mother's family that I was never taken to even meet my grandparents and was told for many years that my father had died. I agree that the social stigma has now all but disappeared but the mere fact that "B*****d" continues to be used demonstrates the prejudice.
We all need to think before we speak!

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I have read this thread with interest. Like many I knew who it was straight away. In relation to teaching style...I think she can be very very good but is perhaps not so good to those that are struggling to understand. She also can get obsessed on the type of horse you are riding...

I fear that she is in a bubble...which is probably a mixture around who she is (ie people not wanting to challenge) and who she mixes with (ie if they are of similar background etc) meaning she would rarely be pulled up regarding language. I would hope that they could start to understand why its not acceptable to use language in this way though and to realise its more than a tick box of do not say x y z. i think probably needs feedback and more than once to help make a change.

I also think its interesting that we do tend to expect a top rider to be a top coach and really its a very different skill. I have had good and bad experiences with more 'celeb' lessons and in general those with the teaching experience do shine through and I think for some it also reflects the coaching they may have had themselves. The best ones are sometimes not the ones you expect and I have been pleasantly surprised by people I wouldn't have expected to have really showing me they learn from all different coaches and riders they meet and really apply different ways of thinking versus some really single minded approaches that , in one case, was so sexist as well that it really put you off!

Cheval Gal

Visit site
Disgusting. She should be called out on using such offensive, disablist language. It is as bad as the N word.

Sorry you had to witness this, OP.

stormox

Visit site
I have seen the lady in questions clinics and thought she made a lot of sense. I dont think she used words like that, and was clear and concise. Its difficult to imagine an adult using an illness as an insult although when I was young *****ing meant messing around, and wasnt said in a nasty way.

LegOn

Visit site
Unfortunately I'd say unless its posted on social media, or at least the threat of it, they would just ignore it and hope it goes away :(