Things from the past

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The cough post reminded me of Easakof for horses, we put on their bit and it would ease the coughing for riding etc.
20180613_181806_zpswrqcndur.jpg

Also Ruby wormer which was good for horses with allergy or reacting to Ivermectin I still have one from the past un used it wormed for bots particularly. Do you remember anything from the past you want to share that you used or have a photo of?
20180613_1830391_zpsix41jdvw.jpg

Sorry they are a bit big

redapple

Visit site
31eDAG-MS9L.jpg

Do people still use these?! I haven't seen one used for a long time but everyone had one at my childhood yard!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
31eDAG-MS9L.jpg

Do people still use these?! I haven't seen one used for a long time but everyone had one at my childhood yard!

Yes, regularly used on hairy native yak coats when they are shedding in the spring :)

The ruby wormer turned the bots red as they came out... easy to see in the droppings

I miss Extratail, I don't miss the razor blading of bot eggs tho!

little_critter

Visit site
I was looking for a chaff cutter the other month. I figured I was spending money on unmolassed grass chaff. I might as well chop up a slice of hay.

Frumpoon

Visit site
New Zealand rugs!!! None of this light, medium and heavyweight turnouts....it was a turnout and they were either wearing one or they weren't

Baroque

Visit site
Jute rugs! Don't miss them tho - used to weigh a tonne and stink when they got wet.

Oh yes! And if it was really cold, a wilton blanket underneath folded to a point over the neck then folded back over the wither and all held together with a roller. A leather anti-cast one to be really smart. Those were the days!

dominobrown

Visit site
I am trying to bring back petal over reach boots... loved the noise they made.
I remember having a tour around the old stables at Hopetoun house and they still had all the old lotions and grooming stuff in them. Love this kind of thing.
Still have a chillcheater blue and red stable on the go... Have a few actually and some worldbeater rugs?

Gypley

Visit site
Anyone remember when jockey skulls used to have the rubber chin straps?! If you didn’t have a sweaty rash on your chin at the end of your lesson as a child, you didn’t work hard enough!

vmac66

Visit site
I remember the elastic chin straps on riding hats. We used to put ours over the peak as that was how all the top showjumpers wore theirs.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Making and using wisps who remembers that ?
The smell of Bloom hoarse shampoo and I am just old enough to remember horses being washed with large lumps of green fairy laundry soap and also dark yellow coal tar soap .
Horses in stalls .
The molasses stuff that was a sort of sticky powder not sure what it was .
When horse food came in hessian sacks .I also remember the arrive of modern bailer twine and the traditional thin rope they used before
Proper broad bran .
The use of kaolin to treat seventy percent of horse ailments .
Felt pads under saddles .

Kat

Visit site
You can still get the petal over reach boots direct from westropp on their website - I used to love them as a child and vowed to buy some when I got a horse of my own!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
You can still get the petal over reach boots direct from westropp on their website - I used to love them as a child and vowed to buy some when I got a horse of my own!
Y
How exciting! I used to love clacking around in these on my pony feeling like a professional SJ! Tend to canter a lot as that made the best sound. I note they’ve made them quieter tho.... sighs....:rolleyes:

scats

Visit site
Wisps. I used to love making them.
Canvas rugs.
Chin cups on hats.
Packing straw under a string vest style sweat rug to help dry them off.

My friends pony had a pair of those petal overreach boots and we used to all have a canter round on her so we could make tha noise.

pennyturner

Visit site
Making and using wisps who remembers that ?
The smell of Bloom hoarse shampoo and I am just old enough to remember horses being washed with large lumps of green fairy laundry soap and also dark yellow coal tar soap .
Horses in stalls .
The molasses stuff that was a sort of sticky powder not sure what it was .
When horse food came in hessian sacks .I also remember the arrive of modern bailer twine and the traditional thin rope they used before
Proper broad bran .
The use of kaolin to treat seventy percent of horse ailments .
Felt pads under saddles .

Yeesh GS - how old are you? Proper coal tar soap has been banned for yonks!

I still use a wisp made out of long grass if we get down to the field and realise we've forgotten the brushes :)

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I still have useable jute rugs and 2 of the old canvas new zealands lol. I do have a load of the new ones too though. I love my scraper for getting winter coats out

Cecile

Visit site
Jute rugs! Don't miss them tho - used to weigh a tonne and stink when they got wet.

Jute rugs with what always reminded me of army or boarding school blanket lining, I don't ever remember them leaking but couldn't remove them when wet as too heavy :)

Cecile

Visit site
I was looking for a chaff cutter the other month. I figured I was spending money on unmolassed grass chaff. I might as well chop up a slice of hay.

I have a chaff cutter in my barn if you are still looking, its a monster :D
I saw one in a chaff cutter in garden recently they had painted it and used it as a garden ornament, they also had an old water hand pump as an ornament, far too useful/practical to use as an ornament I thought :)

Cecile

Visit site
Anyone remember when jockey skulls used to have the rubber chin straps?! If you didn’t have a sweaty rash on your chin at the end of your lesson as a child, you didn’t work hard enough!

I remember when you had a bit of elastic under your chin to keep your hat on and when trotting your hat bounced up and down too and left your head or at times covered your eyes :)