Things from the past

JillA

Visit site
I still use an old style thre pronged for mucking out long straw-much better for your back than a short handled four pronged imo.

The two pronged ones were pikels (sp), and their use really was for heaving bales of hay/straw onto a loft. I never did get the hang of picking a bale up with one, I guess it was a knack. I use a four pronged muck fork regularly for tidying the muck heap. And I have a "log" for tying up horses who prefer not to have the feel of a loose rope which then suddenly resists.

Sheep

Visit site
Ah, thank you Sheep and SpringArising for your lovely comments about the gorgeous Baroness (Nessie) :). We owned her twice, firstly as a young horse for my older sister who competed her successfully, then after a gap of a few years we were able to buy her back for me. We then kept her to the end of her days.

Her coat does look good in the pic, doesn't it? She was fed on grass, hay, Spillers Horse and Pony cubes and bran.

She looks like a lovely sort, you can see the shine on her too. What a fabulous photo to keep, so smart. :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The two pronged ones were pikels (sp), and their use really was for heaving bales of hay/straw onto a loft. I never did get the hang of picking a bale up with one, I guess it was a knack. I use a four pronged muck fork regularly for tidying the muck heap. And I have a "log" for tying up horses who prefer not to have the feel of a loose rope which then suddenly resists.

Where I come from your pikel would be called a grape, and your log would be called a chog :)

Xanthoria

Visit site
I don't know if these are just things you can't get in the USA (easily?), or are just not around much anymore but (and now I'm reading rest of thread I see some of these already mentioned):

String anti-sweat sheets
Hampa or Ulster plastic tendon boot sets with the waffle lining
Canvas New Zealand rugs
Wool travel bandages with tie strings
Lampwick girths
Sewn-in bits on your show bridle
Plaited cord reins
Making straw wisps to give your horses a good strapping, and getting tired halfway through the first one...
HacTac denim jods

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Someone has mentioned Jackatex. Gosh, yes! I had a pair of their riding trousers; they lasted me for YEARS and years. Also had a pair of their joddie boots, plus a "lovat" check patterned hacking jacket which I remember going off to Pony Club in and feeling a million dollars in it. In those days we all used to ape our Heroes like Pat Smythe, Harvey Smith, David Broome, and Princess Anne on Doublet competing at Badminton and later for the Olympics. My particular favourite was Marion Mould and Stroller, he was the same size as my pony! and I really just KNEW that one day we were both gonna be famous too........

Nylon girths and reins: in the most heinous colours. My "colour" was royal blue. My pony was perfect in every way, but his one vice was chewing at his reins if I wasn't looking, and he managed to chomp away at the leather fastener bit on the end, or else I'd probably still have them now. Funny that there's been a few pairs for sale on E-bay; I've got a set of nylon reins now which I use regularly, funny that the old things are always the best.

Anyone else remember half-panel saddles? Went to a county show recently and saw a saddler there who was making them, he said that they're beginning to make something of a comeback, I'm not surprised. That was the norm back then, and this saddler says that you get a really close feel with the half panel, like we always did :) And of course there were Serge linings to saddles rather than leather; anyone else remember the PITA-job getting them white?? The very thought of sitting on a "synthetic" saddle - worse still going hunting sitting on a piece of plastic - would have made our old pony club DC turn in her grave, bless 'er.

Old remedies like Stockholm Tar are still going strong: I've always got some in the yard for little emergencies, along with Green Oils (had it back then, got it now).

Oh and Cavelletti.... I remember reading Pony magazine and time and again someone would be recommending a jumping lane with cavalletti; not seen any for a good many years, probably Elf n SafeTee have reneged them to the "dangerous" department.

Can remember NZ turnouts; they weighed a ton, but did their job, and lasted well too.

Can also remember asking the farrier to call and getting change for twenty-quid for a full set. Now THOSE were the days....... (sighs longingly).

ozpoz

Visit site
Where I come from the 2 pronged fork is a pitchfork and a graip has six or more close prongs with knobs on the ends. Useful for picking potatoes and mucking out shavings. I think they are purely vintage now!
I loved the boiled barley feeds in winter, but not the smell of boiled linseed - so easy to burn!

I was very proud of my blue string girth, matching plaited reins,headcollar and (plastic) sharkstooth browband) I don't do matchy now - everything is quite subdued. I thouht that lavenham and polywarm rugs were the greatest invention,but I still love woolen day rugs,I just don't do that perfect stabled horse thing anymore.

Baroque

Visit site
I don't miss boiling up linseed,

Oh yes, I remember! Boiling linseed in one pot and standing right next to it a boiler for barley. The hunters would come home after a long day and have boiled linseed, boiled barley and proper broad bran mash for their tea. They'd be "thatched" with straw under their inside-out jutes. Once they'd stopped sweating and all risk of breaking out again had passed, remove the straw and rug up with blankets and the jute turned the right way. Deep straw beds and a manger crammed full of good hay. Bliss.

Clodagh

Visit site
No where near as smart as that gorgeous pony going hunting, but here is me going for a hack. I must have been about 9?
858024_1424440264480696_5713321934101962462_o.jpg

Numnahs, never had one, made tack cleaning a chore scrubbing that grease off the underside. Ponies only allowed to wear snaffles too, even if you couldn't hold one side of them. (Not this pony, Buttons, he was a saint among beasts). I won some money on Rough and Tumble, ridden by John Francombe, in the National and bought him a cottom summer sheet at Sandon Saddlery. Loved it! Ponies had spillers cubes to eat. The hunters had straights (Mum was appalled when 'Main Ring' came out!).
Jutes and underblankets, a nightmare.
Canvas turnouts with baler twine round the legs you had to go and straighten every time the horse farted...
And how did we manage with no (equine) dentist? One saddle did a human for life, not matter what the horse. Any Essex/Herts people - remember Batchelors shop in Epping?
Oh and I wasn't allowed long boots, children wore jodphur boots and that was that. :)

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Sandon Saddlery-what a place. mum would take my grown out of horsey clothes and part ex them for bigger ones. it was a massive annual treat to go -always with a meal at the local Little Chef :D

riversideeu

Visit site
I looked after horses in Switzerland on peat as it was cool for them and the owners had a garden centre so the dirty bedding all got used. I had lovely regent leather soled joddy boots with straps round the ankles instead of elastic. I had forgotten about dermobion it was excellent and smelled wonderful.

McFluff

Visit site
I had lovely regent leather soled joddy boots with straps round the ankles instead of elastic.

Me too, I LOVED them. Kept them till they fell apart (at least one resoleing later!).

I hated the chin cups on crash helmets - I really wanted a lovely velvet hat but mum said no.

Remember the day my friend got a chaskit rug to replace the canvas ones. Took us a while to work out how to fit it!

SEL

Visit site
Any one else old enough to have cared for horses bedded on peat.

Ha! Yup. Think the last time I saw that was 25 years ago.

Showed my age this winter showing kids how to thatch wet ponies with straw under rugs. They thought I was mad, but it worked (of course it worked!)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Amoracaine, still have a packet as an heirloom.

Have a beautiful woollen day rug, only used when in posh places, and seeing as I no longer have a posh horse to take to posh places, the rug is folded up and stored very carefully.

The pocket rocket has a stubben string girth. I also would love to see the plaited cotton reins return.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Stűbben still sell string girths. They are great at sweat dispersal and evening out pressure.

I used to ride in a yellow polo neck and gloves :D. It was the accepted uniform at one time where I was.

I used to too... I had read (probably in a Pullen- Thompson ) that yellow was "correct" so for ages, wherever possible I always wore yellow for my lessons :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I used to too... I had read (probably in a Pullen- Thompson ) that yellow was "correct" so for ages, wherever possible I always wore yellow for my lessons :)

My granny used to knit me the most beautiful yellow "string" gloves and socks. They were fantastic for riding and you couldn't have bought anything as good quality in the shops.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Orange rubber reins, that went sticky when old. I also started with the elastic chin strap.

The thing I missed most is the old white foam back protector that you stuffed down your jodhs. They did op round your kidneys and that was it.

I would love one now, wish I had not thrown mine away. I would wear it for hacking as it was not at all restrictive like the body protectors of today. No straps round your shoulders. No restrictions. I was just at Bramham last week and the BHS or some safety organisation (Beta?) had one on display to show protection over the years. I almost went over and made an offer on it!

GS - Is this not Coal Tar Soap then? https://www.superdrug.com/Wrights/W...Sg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CJHIkuzx0tsCFRJj0wodYSILrA

I've got a job on my list to go through some old trunks in my parents loft and I have a feeling there might be one of the old white back protectors tucked away in there - if so I'll let you know and you'd be welcome to it!

It makes me wonder though, what will future generations be saying in 30-40 years, of our current protective wear of airjackets and body protectors? What advances are still to come?

Baroque

Visit site
Me too, I LOVED them. Kept them till they fell apart (at least one resoleing later!).

...and me! Mine were the colour of a conker and I had a Blakey in each heel. They sounded wonderful on concrete and made me feel a bit important ;-) How I wish we could still get those boots. Mine lasted for years and years and were bought, second hand, out of the Exchange & Mart!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've got a job on my list to go through some old trunks in my parents loft and I have a feeling there might be one of the old white back protectors tucked away in there - if so I'll let you know and you'd be welcome to it!

It makes me wonder though, what will future generations be saying in 30-40 years, of our current protective wear of airjackets and body protectors? What advances are still to come?

Oh wow, yes please! I remember doing open team chase in one of those white ones, then mum saw the fences and bought me the all new, all singing, all dancing "Robin" body protector on the proviso that I bin my white shaped back protector. I regretted it every hot day since!

I looked up the new MIPS helmet, it seems they are easily available in the USA and Germany, I think I will get one when they come to the UK. Back on Track are making them, so I guess it is just a matter of time. I have always had the best helmets, but body protectors in the heat are still not good for me!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I hated the chin cups on crash helmets - I really wanted a lovely velvet hat but mum said no.

Remember the day my friend got a chaskit rug to replace the canvas ones. Took us a while to work out how to fit it!

I loved the Regent jodh boots with the strap too, much nicer than the elastic.

I really wanted a Chaskit rug, but they were so much more expensive I didn't :-/

Pink_Lady

Visit site
No where near as smart as that gorgeous pony going hunting, but here is me going for a hack. I must have been about 9?
858024_1424440264480696_5713321934101962462_o.jpg

Numnahs, never had one, made tack cleaning a chore scrubbing that grease off the underside. Ponies only allowed to wear snaffles too, even if you couldn't hold one side of them. (Not this pony, Buttons, he was a saint among beasts). I won some money on Rough and Tumble, ridden by John Francombe, in the National and bought him a cottom summer sheet at Sandon Saddlery. Loved it! Ponies had spillers cubes to eat. The hunters had straights (Mum was appalled when 'Main Ring' came out!).
Jutes and underblankets, a nightmare.
Canvas turnouts with baler twine round the legs you had to go and straighten every time the horse farted...
And how did we manage with no (equine) dentist? One saddle did a human for life, not matter what the horse. Any Essex/Herts people - remember Batchelors shop in Epping?
Oh and I wasn't allowed long boots, children wore jodphur boots and that was that. :)

Remember Batchelors very well ... we used to get all our stuff from there. A good traditional saddlery with a wealth of knowledge from Mr Batchelor senior and his family

Allykat

Visit site

One of the horses at my yard still wears an original chaskitt with the spider! As far as I'm aware it's never been reproofed and it's still going strong and said horse does love a puddle wallow!