Think I may have taken on too much too soon

elsielouise

Visit site
Hi

I think you have been given loads of brilliant advice here so wont repeat it. Buuuuut it does sound to me like you are also missing the social side of horse ownership and I know how that feels as I've done both livery and at home.

Some yards have a vibrant evening 'feel' even in the winter and some seem to close down so, although I know you say you love your yard if I was you I would seriously be looking around a bit. What you really need is to be in your horses box, it pulls a face, you growl, 'pack it in you eejit (or similiar), shout over to your mate grooming in the next box that your horse is a hairy dog picnic in the making then carry on with the gossip about the affair with the YO's gardeners sister and her brother's canary(or similiar).

I thing it is VERY hard to be a new owner on your 'own' and if I was you I would be soul searching your motivations as you are but I so think the Yard is the most important factor here.

One suggestion is to look for a GOOD riding school that has an indoor school and does livery as they often run adult lessons well into the evening and there are loads of people about of all levels and often coffee shops too.

If you make it through this winter as an owner next year will be some much easier and it does come round quickly.

Good luck.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Carolina, I really feel for you as I was in almost the same position with my first horse three years ago. I had ponies as a child but had 20 years without a horse and made do with trekking and riding lessons. However, when i hit 40 i decided I needed a horse in my life and bought a gorgeous TB x welsh. He was the perfect boy in the stable and school when I tried him, but turned into a monster when I got him home. I had been told he was suitable for a novice, but this was obviously a lie. Basically he knew that I was scared of him as he would barge past me, rear when I was leading him, buck and spook when I was riding. However, when my OH (who is bigger and stronger) worked with him he behaved. I had an instructor at the time who told me that he was just pushing his luck with me and I tried to be tougher but it was difficult when I was shaking with fear! I struggled with him for 2 years and have never cried more in my life. I felt so upset that I was failing him as other people seemed to have no problem with him. In the end my instructor (after another hair raising lesson) begged with me to go and try a cob that she knew was for sale. When I rode him I felt so safe - and after many more tears I decided to sell my first horse and take the cob on a trial basis. I took my first horse to a yard to be sold on selling livery - it was expensive but I couldn't cope, both physically and mentally, with selling him. We were totally honest about him, and he now has a perfect home with a lovely girl and does lots of competitions - he was Best Allrounder at pony club camp in the summer. I bought the lovely cob and we are having great fun together with hacking and Trec competitions.

What I am trying to say is that I learned the hard way that certain horses suit certain people. You may find that if a more experienced person comes to help you with your boy he will behave - not because he doesn't like you, but because he has more respect for someone who stands up to him and shows no fear. My cob can be Mr Grumpy when he is not in the mood, but I can stand up to him as I know that if I do he will not explode.

I am in tears writing this as it brings back all the low feelings that I had with my first horse. Take the advice on here and get some help, but at the end of the day you have to live with your horse and you may decide that you need a more low maintenance type. When I tried my cob I said to my OH that he had to be a "whatever" horse - that is whatever happened he could cope. I think you need one of those. Also, if you work full time a horse that doesn't need ridden every day (to keep it sane) is a big help.

Good luck, but please don't give up on horses. They are smelly, usually muddy and a lot of work, but when you find your perfect partner you will fall in love and forgive them for all their bad ways!

caroline23

Visit site
also forgot, perfect manners by kelly marks is really good, as is the ones mentioned above, sometimes understanding their behaviour allows you to interpret things differently

ladyt25

Visit site
What yard in N Yorks are you on? Is there truly noone on the yard you could maybe ask for some assistance? You don't know until you ask.

I haven't read all the replies but you say he 'nibbles' - when you say this does he actually nip or is he doing the food search type nibble thing? It doesn't mean he's aggressive or nasty but he may be just being a little bit rude. My sister's horse is a swine for 'interfering' when you're trying to rug him as he'll be trying to niblle your hands etc but he certainly isn't nasty at all and wouldn't actually bite but he does get told no and I remove my hands/arms from near his mouth! IF he feels he's being ignored he is also one for grabbing hold of say your coat hood and giving it a tug!

Maybe some of your problems are down to really getting to know your horse's personality - i know this can be more difficult in the winter when you work full time and basically only see your horse in the dark.

I think you just need to be firm with him - does he actually threaten to kick or are his ears being back just him doing a "what are you doing back there?" thing? Some horses are funny about their back ends so you do have to be mindful but you can work round this - the thing is to be confident. IF he's one who likes his bottom scratched then maybe try this (but do it from the side initially not from behind him in case he doesn't like it!) My youngster often turns his bottom on me - i was wary at first and still ensure he isn't doing it in a "leave me alone way" but I have learnt, generally he wants his bum scratched! He will even reverse up to you if he thinks you're not doing anything and could spare some time scratching his bum! Lol

What i do try do with him though is I don't just do as he's 'telling me' I will walk to his front and then I will go round and scratch his backside when I choose to NOT when he demands it!!!

I am sure you will get there - just don't think of your horse has having any ulterior motive - he is ony reacting to you and his surroundings, just remember that.

By the way, I am in W Yorks (near Wetherby) so may not be far from you necessarily if you do feel you want someone to observe you and him.

foxy1

Visit site
Ok, I'm going to be completely honest and say yes I think you have taken on too much too soon and if you're not prepared to change your situation then you should sell him.

That was the short answer, the long answer, if you can be bothered to read it is....Horses are complex creatures, behaviourally and physically, they have strong instincts but they are also the most fascinating animals, which is why we love them and can spend hours talking and reading about them and justify spending so much money on them. Building a relationship with your horse takes a minimum of 6 months and IMO isn't really cemented for at least a year, and even then it continually develops and needs work. They are hard work, they are frustrating at times, they are not machines, they will react to you and to things around them. The reward for all that is this big strong instinctive animal working with you, carrying you, whinnying to you in the morning (ok I know he just wants his breakfast :)) I can't even put into words how amazing I think they are and that's why we do it.

After 20 odd years with them I am still learning, I still have lessons and I still ask for advice.

To be blunt, you are very inexperienced with horses, it's like learning the alphabet and then trying to read war and peace, I'm not having a go but it is no wonder you can't appreciate it.

It does not mean that with experience you couldn't be a great horsewoman and feel the love we all do for this ridiculous hobby! Anyone on here or another internet forum could give you a hundred reasons for why your horse might be acting the way he is, the difference between a scared, aggressive, confused, mildly mischievous or just normal horse aren't that huge. We all base our perceptions on our experiences and you will have limited knowledge of what is 'normal' and what isn't, before we even get onto the ways in which your horse may or may not need to be handled, which again needs experience (and the confidence that comes with it) to implement, it is far from just being about "showing them who is boss".

You sound like a caring owner who wants to get things right and believe it or not I have been in a simiilar position. You have two options, either get some help, by either moving to a new yard where you can be on part livery or have sympathetic support or have someone come out to you. You don't just have to have lessons in riding there are plenty of instructors (or try googling Kelly Marks RA) who will help you with handling and can offer you advise on feeding, worming and everything else that comes under stable management and read as much as you possibly can. The 2nd option is to sell your horse, go and have some more lessons over the winter at a good riding school, see if they'll let you hang around (H&S permitting) observe how the horses behave and are handled, make some friends and see if they will start to let you help out a bit.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide and hope that you find some way to keep these beautiful animals in your life so you can really appreciate how amazing they are.

I completely agree with this post. Either get some help PDQ or sell him. Good luck :)

rhino

Visit site
Carolina, I feel for you. We've all been there with our first horses, when the honeymoon period's over, and we're on our own, and winter/dark days arrive, and we get those horrible OMG negative he's-too-good-for-me, I-will-ruin-him, I-will-get-injured feelings.

And winter esp run-up through Nov-Dec is always a bad time for anyone looking after horses - it's dark, cold, mud, ice, frost, hay and mucking out, you go to bed dreaming of poopickers and wheelbarrows and wondering what happened to those lovely carefree days where you just turn up, tack up and ride in the sunshine!

Accept it's natural to have a phase of eeebeejeebees and then work on ways to move forward so you can cope with these feelings and "put the monkey back in the cage" as the British Cycling team coaches say to the Olympic cyclists whenever they have selfdoubts.

A few practical things:

1. When you arrive at yard, give him a haynet and tie him up. This will both absorb him and keep his mouth away from you. If you prefer too, and if it's not pelting rain, do both these things outside the stable so that you have more working room around him. Then change his rugs, pick his feet, whatever.

2. Ears back mean many things - means "I'm hungry" "why are you late" "why are you tense?" "why are you nervous" "I'm going to ignore you" "don't touch me" but never necessarily "I hate you, I'm gonna kill you." Ears back is part of his expression range. Grin and laugh and say "awww, put them up!" whenever he does it, and that will relax you and you being relaxed will make him relaxed.

3. Dress for success. Always. Esp on your own. Stout boots or shoes. Hat. Warm and waterproof clothes if weather's crap. Gloves if leading him anywhere. Keep gloves in your pocket so they're handy.

4. Winter's a crappy time for riding. Many of us only ride at weekends in winter, maybe one midweek lunge or school session, often not. You've not had him long. Treat your winter evenings as Special Time with him to get to know each other. So after the chores, spend half-hour just brushing him, chatting to him, plait his mane and tail and then unplait them, give him a good scratch along his neck or bum and find his tiggly bits and laugh when he pulls faces and then backs his arse towards you in a friendly way for a bigger, better scratch.

5. Read some books on horse behaviour. There's lots out there. Richard Maxwell, Mark Rashid, etc. Understand that your horse does not think like a human and so you shouldnt judge him by human standards.

6. Spend time just being with your horse, watch hhim, draw him, photo him, get to know him.

Then when spring comes, you and he will have a lovely relationship and be ready to ride and do whatever you've planned to do with him.

ENJOY him!!

Quoted in it's entirety as IMO this is a seriously good post!
*presses the like button*

lq22

Visit site
I agree with the posts before about going on BHS courses, getting some advice and reading up. I would like to add that while the weather is bad/dark and you can't ride, try and get to know your horse. The best way I find doing this is simply grooming. Spend a good hour or more if you like brushing him. Find out where he likes being scratched. Most horses love being groomed and it will chill him out. I volunteer at a riding school on a sunday and groom, tack up, muck out the ponies and then help in lessons and just by doing that I've learned about their different characters, what they like and what they don't like. You do need to act confidently though otherwise like kids with the supply teacher he will take the micky. Shoulders back, chin up and most importantly - smile!

Owning a horse can be like having an oversized dog that you can sit on. It is a lot of commitment financially, emotionally and physically as you are learning. You will go through rough patches but it's swings and round abouts. You need to weigh up whether the effort, expense and the lows are worth the benefits.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

scarymare

Visit site
I'm really confused here. He's nibbling you and turning his bum on you? This sounds like pretty normal learned behaviour to me, doubtless caused by someone feeding him treats all the time. I don't think he's testing you too much and I'm not sure why you would lunge him when his poor behaviour is in the stable?

Sorry posters am I missing something (just on thread)?

Spudlet

Visit site
Seconded. But why does the monkey have to live in a cage?

Because they make the most dreadful mess, and will not do their own washing up.

In fact thinking about it, some of my former flatmates may actually have been monkeys...:p

One more bit of advice for winter - keep spare gloves in your coat pocket, preferably an inside pocket, then when your original gloves get wet you have some toasty warm dry ones ready to put on. Ditto having nice dry fluffy socks waiting in the car when you've finished your jobs. Nothing like cold wet fingers and toes to dampen anyone's mood!

ossy

Visit site
If this is how you feel then I think it would be better for the horse if you sold him. He is an animal, and he is acting like one. Your main problem is that you have taken all his behaviour 'personally' - he is simply responding to your behaviour. You need to get control of your emotions, and respond to your horse calmly, and with some empathy for him - you can be sure that he is not doing all of this just to 'take the pee' - there are always reasons why horses respond the way they do - as the brains in the parternship it is up to the human to figure out what is going wrong, and how best to address the issues - he can't change if you don't.

His behaviour is not serious, but you sound genuinely afraid of him, so I would agree with the title, I think you have taken on too much. If you cannot find another yard and/or find a good instructor and/or get some help with ground work and handling then it is better to admit that and sell the current horse. Then, if you are still interested in horses, go and learn about them, about their behaviour and how to handle them. Or go and ride occasionally at a riding centre where the horse is given to you tacked up and someone else does all the hard work, if you do not feel that you are cut out for horse ownership - there is no shame in admitting that it is not for you. If you are in this state now, you will never survive a winter of mud, rain, snow, ice and freezing temperatures - and your horse will suffer having to endure your negative emotions. Capable of the complex human emotions you have ascribed to him, he may not be, but by god he will be picking up on how you feel about him and it will be making him even more stressed and anxious. My sympathies lie with the horse - you can change the situation, he can't.

Have to say I completely agree with this too so not got much to add but to just say I work full time to able to afford my horse I ride her 6 days a week aswell, she is not the type to just pul out for a weekend ride. I am at yard where there is lots of help and a flood light menage to ride at night.

If you don't sell I suggest to move somewhere that will offer the help and support you need and allow to ride during the week as well.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yes, but that was the cyclists. Never trust a man who thinks lycra makes them look good :rolleyes:

Gooooood point :cool: :D

Spudlet, did you keep your flatmates in cages too :confused:

(sorry OP - my only purpose on HHO is to side track perfectly innocent threads :D)

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'm sorry that you are feeling this way. Horses are a huge responsibilty and take up a lot of time, especially at this time of year!

This may sound harsh but I don't intend it to be. But it sounds like the problem is you and not the Horse. It sounds like you don't know how to be the "herd leader" so your boy is taking the micky. But most Horses would in this situation.

If you are not prepared to get a RI to come out and help you then I think you should sell. As I do not see this ending well for you or your Horse.

Perhaps look for a share? That way you can learn everything about Horse care but not have sole responsibility. The owner will be on hand to give you some help and pointers. Although you will have to be completly honest about your abilities.

We all have to start somehere! but I am afraid I think you've bitten of more then you can chew.

Good luck with whatever you deicde to do.

Smogul

Visit site
I thought the horse would like me and realise I'm looking after it and will love it and spend time with it. I didn't think it would challenge eveyr action I make, pin its ears back and hate me, the girl I get to ride for me sometimes is a great rider and she has no problems with me so I think he actually doesn't like me, I am such an animal lover and love all animals but can't stand animals that think there better than there owner

Your horse doesn't hate you. I suspect it is barely aware you exist!
You say you are an animal lover but you don't seem to have done much basic research on horses and horse psychology. Because of the way horses feed and their social structure, there is little or no connection in their brains between food and "love". Go into any well-run livery yard where horses are immaculately cared for and see how little horses care who feeds and mucks out.
Put the horse on full livery and become the person in its life that is fun. Find out how to ride it properly, lunge it, do parelli, take it for walks, whatever. Be the person that gives them something interesting to do and think about and then you will start to have a relationship with it.

galaxy

Visit site
OP - important question, do you feed your horse treats by hand? You have mentioned several times that you want to feel love and bond with your horse and a lot of novice owners I have come across (I'm a Riding Instructor) think they can do this with food. What this can actually do is create a rude, nippy monster! Even if they've bought a lovely established schoolmaster.

If you got on with your instructor you were having lessons with, why don't you give her a call and ask her to come out and give you advise. Sometimes just a few little tweaks can resolve everything.

However some horse are nippy when having their rugs done. I know several like this. You wouldn't have seen it before because we are just going into winter. But there are still ways to disclipine and avoid being hurt.

On the bonding issue. I had my old horse 10 years when he was PTS. It took me about 9 months to properly bond my new horse. She's a total sweetheart and never put a foot wrong, but sometimes these things take time.

dunkley

Visit site
If this is how you feel then I think it would be better for the horse if you sold him. He is an animal, and he is acting like one. Your main problem is that you have taken all his behaviour 'personally' - he is simply responding to your behaviour. You need to get control of your emotions, and respond to your horse calmly, and with some empathy for him - you can be sure that he is not doing all of this just to 'take the pee' - there are always reasons why horses respond the way they do - as the brains in the parternship it is up to the human to figure out what is going wrong, and how best to address the issues - he can't change if you don't.

His behaviour is not serious, but you sound genuinely afraid of him, so I would agree with the title, I think you have taken on too much. If you cannot find another yard and/or find a good instructor and/or get some help with ground work and handling then it is better to admit that and sell the current horse. Then, if you are still interested in horses, go and learn about them, about their behaviour and how to handle them. Or go and ride occasionally at a riding centre where the horse is given to you tacked up and someone else does all the hard work, if you do not feel that you are cut out for horse ownership - there is no shame in admitting that it is not for you. If you are in this state now, you will never survive a winter of mud, rain, snow, ice and freezing temperatures - and your horse will suffer having to endure your negative emotions. Capable of the complex human emotions you have ascribed to him, he may not be, but by god he will be picking up on how you feel about him and it will be making him even more stressed and anxious. My sympathies lie with the horse - you can change the situation, he can't.

Agree. OP, I do think you have taken on too much, without any real concept of what owning a horse entails. I can only assume you have caught this forum in an extremely benevolent mood, since you have been given, on the whole, some very good advice. I have seen similar posts (one running at the moment) where OP's with considerably more experience than you have been told in no uncertain terms they are making a huge mistake, and a disaster is waiting to happen. My own view is that you have recognised the problem, and should deal with it by selling on your boy (selling livery is a good idea), taking loads of lessons, do the BHS course, get fully prepared and then look for a share some time in the future. That way you will have knowledgeable support, and someone else (the owner) to take ultimate responsibility for the horse. I'm not saying you are hopeless, I'm not saying you should never have a horse.......just possibly not yet. I also think to get you in this position, you have been given some seriously poor advice. Firstly, I am stunned that someone would sell their horse to a person who has only been riding seven months, cannot canter, has no previous horse care experience, and no knowledgeable back up or support, other than an internet forum. I'm sure I wouldn't. This is quite definitely NOT a criticism of you, but of those around you who should have guided you much better. As for an instructor who encouraged you in this venture.........words fail me.:mad:

1Lucie

Visit site
Oh you poor thing. I do kinda feel ur pain. I took a horse on loan that was very simlar to this. He was so horrible to me, he even bit me so hard on my back i had a huge purple bruise!

I was paying alot to loan him (£150 per month) and i got to point i would dread going to see him. But i carried on with him, had lessons, got some help from other girls on yard. Eventually he gave up trying to be horrible (with the occasional off day) and he was nice as pie.

He was sold and his new owners had exactly the same problem at first. I feel he is just testing you!! I would stick with it, get some lessons even just groundwork lessons and i think in time he will come round.

Spotsrock

Visit site
What a silly response, obviously you think you're doing it right! Iif you knew you were doing them wrong you would do them the right way instead, I have seen it so many times, people make the rug fit at the back then tighten it up at the front, dragging it forward if they need to, or just too tight in front so it pinches the shoulders, or too loose so it rubs, this all hurts. May not be you doing it but someone has in the past, either way he sounds like he expects you to cause him discomfort. - He needs for you to get someone more experienced to help you.

Taking on a horse is like taking a foriegn person into your house, you did it before bothering to take lessons in their language, he is trying to talk to you. That's why most people have lessons for a couple of years before taking one on. You will now have to learn super fast so that you can make him happy. To do this you need more help.

blackbeauty86

Visit site
What a silly response, obviously you think you're doing it right! Iif you knew you were doing them wrong you would do them the right way instead, I have seen it so many times, people make the rug fit at the back then tighten it up at the front, dragging it forward if they need to, or just too tight in front so it pinches the shoulders, or too loose so it rubs, this all hurts. May not be you doing it but someone has in the past, either way he sounds like he expects you to cause him discomfort. - He needs for you to get someone more experienced to help you.

Taking on a horse is like taking a foriegn person into your house, you did it before bothering to take lessons in their language, he is trying to talk to you. That's why most people have lessons for a couple of years before taking one on. You will now have to learn super fast so that you can make him happy. To do this you need more help.

There is some truth in your post where people do put rugs on horses incorrectly, and fit them incorrectly, but relating that to horses being grumpy about it isn't always the case.

I had a horse (an ex racer at that) who HATED being rugged up with a passion. I vert much doubt she'd been "incorrectly rugged" throughout her racing days to cause her to be like this.

Horses are like people and have different characters. Some love attention, others would rather be left alone with their hay and some are overly sensitive when it comes to being rugged/tacked/brushed etc. So it isn't necessarily the reason why he's being like that, he might just be a generally grumpy horse.

Spudlet

Visit site
Another option to selling, if you like this horse, is to loan him out and take some lessons then get him back when you feel more ready to deal with all that comes along with being a horse owner. It's not necessarily an easy option as you will need to be able to find a home at this time of year (also applies with selling), vet the home and be prepared to check up on him. But it is an option.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Working livery seems a great answer to me, then you get stable management lessons, riding lessons on your own horse, horse is happy, gets schooled and exercised and you get to learn with plenty of support. Even if you can only get down at weekends coz it means moving him further away it sounds a million times better than now. Also often cheaper as they earn their keep.

Spotsrock

Visit site
There is some truth in your post where people do put rugs on horses incorrectly, and fit them incorrectly, but relating that to horses being grumpy about it isn't always the case.

I had a horse (an ex racer at that) who HATED being rugged up with a passion. I vert much doubt she'd been "incorrectly rugged" throughout her racing days to cause her to be like this.

Horses are like people and have different characters. Some love attention, others would rather be left alone with their hay and some are overly sensitive when it comes to being rugged/tacked/brushed etc. So it isn't necessarily the reason why he's being like that, he might just be a generally grumpy horse.

I've worked on a couple of race yards and seen very few rugs fitting very well!! You'll probably find that contributes to her problem way back!

I just found the denial of it as a possible answer for behaviour on the basis that someone who has had very little tuition, no experience prior to ownership and is asking for help, a bit strange, 'don't ask if you already know' sort of thing! Obviously OP is fond of the horse and if she knew she was doing it wrong she would change how she does it, but having been shown, she is adamant she's doing it right. I had this problem with Sharer and her new mare recently, mare started nipping her, I watched one day and just let her front straps out a hole, Voila, no more nipping, Sharer is experienced and very capable, she just sees horse without rug everyday and hadn't noticed quite how much muscle she had put on, as a result the rug had become too tight on it's 'usual' holes. OP's horse could have put on fat/muscle and his rugs become too tight, or lost condition and they are now loose and rubbing. As an inexperienced owner, OP would not necessarily notice small changes in weight/muscle tone but horse may well be uncomfortable as a result.

treats are also a killer!! Mine are not allowed them except after they work, from me. (except my 32 y/o who can have whatever she wants, after 32 years of being polite I doubt she'll start biting now, too kind natured and ladylike!)

blackbeauty86

Visit site
I've worked on a couple of race yards and seen very few rugs fitting very well!! You'll probably find that contributes to her problem way back!

Surely their rugs should have been fitted well if you were working there!? :rolleyes: I joke.

Yes I understand your point, but all I'm saying is cut her some slack. She's had the bottle to post on here asking for help and advice, not criticism.

None of us know whether she's rugging up right or wrong or whatever! But doesn't give us the right to say that. She thinks she's doing it right but has still stepped up and asked for help. Which I admire as a lot of people would carry on oblivious!

Spotsrock

Visit site
Surely their rugs should have been fitted well if you were working there!? :rolleyes: I joke.

Yes I understand your point, but all I'm saying is cut her some slack. She's had the bottle to post on here asking for help and advice, not criticism.

None of us know whether she's rugging up right or wrong or whatever! But doesn't give us the right to say that. She thinks she's doing it right but has still stepped up and asked for help. Which I admire as a lot of people would carry on oblivious!

Lol!! I was only a work rider, no chores involved I'm afraid!! Exercising only. Most rugs were same sort of size though so a little bit big for the shorties and tiny bit tight on the real biggies. My recent yard was a blooming good one too, have bought from a real dreggs yard and they had really bizare rug combos held together with string and tape and all sorts.

blackbeauty86

Visit site
Lol!! I was only a work rider, no chores involved I'm afraid!! Exercising only. Most rugs were same sort of size though so a little bit big for the shorties and tiny bit tight on the real biggies. My recent yard was a blooming good one too, have bought from a real dreggs yard and they had really bizare rug combos held together with string and tape and all sorts.

LOL my appologies then! But I know what you mean about yards with multiple horses....one size fits all!

lula

Visit site
I've worked on a couple of race yards and seen very few rugs fitting very well!

I second this, racing yards are ofte the worst for ill fitting rugs.
a lot i go to even today are still using jute rollers with a lump of foam or tea towel folded under the spine. Its often just a mix and match of what ever's available.

Winklepoker

Visit site
I have read this post and felt utter dismay. You sound utterly fed up, horses are not easy nor are they seasonal. Things are lovely when its not winter, dark nights, mud, numerous rugs dont make you feel full of excitement going down to the yard. I cant even begin to offer any better advice than has already been given, but i think if you are having issues with this behaviour then I really dont think you should keep him. If nibbling and moving around are upsetting you this much, please sell him.