Think I'm offering a good deal, why no takers?

mainpower

Visit site
I'll try to keep this brief, apologies if it turns into an essay.... :)
I have a 19yo horse and a 4yo. Due to my own health problems plus starting a new job next month (which involves a time consuming commute) I reached the decision that I do not have the physical capabilities or time to do my youngster justice... I got as far as backing and walk/trot round the school. So I advertised him as a free loan on my yard.
The deal was no money exchanged, I wanted someone who would commit to riding a minimum of three days a week with me helping from the ground, teaching them at the weekends, progressing to clinics and competing. I would provide free transport to events, iniitialy paying entry fees until he was more established. Also, if they wanted, they could compete my older horse, I would again provide transport, but not entry fees as he's been there, done it, got a few t-shirts and doesn't need the experience!
I only got three replies, two of which wanted to tell me how high they could jump and how fast they'd galloped, and although I'd stipulated I wanted an adult they were teenagers.The third seemed perfect, in her 30s, taught locally (as well as a "day" job) and rode a few horses for owners, but wanting something on a more regular basis. She came to try him out, they hit it off, and I was really happy to let her go up on her own and get on with it.
However, after about 4/5 rides she started dropping into the conversation about horses she was being paid to ride, then didn't come when arranged, made a few more vague plans about when she was coming, didn't show, and now won't answer her phone (calls and texts).
So who thinks I'm offering a good deal or is it ridiculous to think that someone would like to free loan a youngster, have the pick of two horses to ride and compete, transport thrown in, with lessons from me if they want (I do hold my BHSAI)? :rolleyes:

Tnavas

Visit site
Why weren't you around when I was younger?

I'm now in a similar situation as you, three horses, one I can ride a 5yr old and an unbroken 3yr old. I've a young rider bringing on the 5yr old at the moment. She is 17 and a lovely rider, she has broken in my youngster and tonight I watched him work under saddle for the first time. Had tears in my eyes! He is my first homebred. He was such a good boy and she has done a great job on him.

Try your local Pony Club, some members may not have a horse to ride. Another thought is to advertise at your local university. There are many young people who have had to give up their horse in order to go to University and would jump at the chance to ride without the expense.

rossiroo

Visit site
I would think that any person capable of riding to the standerd that you require, three times a week,would expect to be paid. Your horse is likely to be increasing in value as a result of someone putting in time and hard work(never mind the risks that young horses poise) Also if they are experianced would they consider a lesson as a bit of an insult to their riding?. I don't think that having an owner on the ground telling them how to ride would encourage many people. I think if you want a nicely schooled youngster perhaps you will have to pay for it.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i second looking at the univeristy riding clubs in your area, also contact the PC, i did not have my own for most of the PC years and would have jumped at this oppotunity.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I think you are offering a great deal. Maybe people are still worried that they despite the good deal, they will put in the time and effort, get attached and you may drop them? Just a thought?

Kaylum

Visit site
Have to say rossiroo is right. A 4 year old that needs schooling needs a good rider. Good riders want paying not lessons? It actually sounds like you are want to use someone to get your horse out and about, without having to do it yourself.

scarymare

Visit site
Hmm, sorry but I think you will need to pay. In a similar situation I paid someone £25 per ride 3 times a weeks (included travel/get in/turn out) and was quite happy to do so. Still cheaper (and better) than professional schooling. My lady was a professional and highly respected - I now have a cracking 6 year who is foot perfect and still have my confidence in tact.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Where are you? I'd be on that like a flash. Even with two of my own. I don't get out much due to lack of transport so I'd jump at the chance of someone taking me and paying entries. I can't be the only one surely?

MrsHutt

Visit site
I am quite near you and knew someone who would have suited, but has now got her loan sorted, I think. I will check.

Otherwise, I will ask about for you.

animal

Visit site
I somewhat agree with some of the being paid to ride views.
However, when in my area some are asking 200pcm for a part loan ex racer youngster on diy, yours seems a good deal, especially with view to the competing bit.

Maybe the problem is the only adult bit? A teenager (sensible of course!) might well find themselves with more time on their hands, and not expect to be paid?

animal

Visit site
I somewhat agree with some of the being paid to ride views.
However, when in my area some are asking 200pcm for a part loan ex racer youngster on diy, yours seems a good deal, especially with view to the competing bit.

Maybe the problem is the only adult bit? A teenager (sensible of course!) might well find themselves with more time on their hands, and not expect to be paid?

Damnation

Visit site
In this day and age, unless it is a proper loan with a contract, and they "do" the horse (obviously with you checking in), people expect to be paid.
Shame however as if I was near you, horseless, with that kind of opportunity, especially to compete, I would just be happy for the ride!!

Mlini

Visit site
I think that sounds like a great deal! But I do think that you are more likely to get a younger rider than an older one, I was looking to loan before I bought my boy.. And I couldn't find a good deal anywhere!!

...I went to look at a 16.3hh 4yo ISH for part loan. Turns out it was head shy, wouldn't catch and had only just been broken in!! She was wanting £25 per week to loan it!! Now if that had been free loan (+ lessons, travel etc..) I would have snapped it up straight away!

There are many experienced young people (late teen's/early 20's) out there looking for a ride.. even if it is a young inexperienced horse. Young people don't have any money and can't afford to have their own horses - never mind transport, lessons and comp fee's on top!! (There is a young girl on my yard that can't even afford rugs for her's!!)

I think you should keep on advertising the horse (make it clear in the advert what is involved) and the right person will come along sooner or later :) (Hopefully sooner rather than later!! :D)

Oh and where are you advertising your horse? Maybe advertising it in more places will attract more attention??

Good luck!!

noodle_

Visit site
very good deal!

i offered my warmblood out on free loan a few months back - and i had endless replies - but she needed schooling etc.... safe but needed it. i offered to pay for transport etc too but in the end realised i couldnt give someone the credit for my hard work lol :)

stick with it..... you will find someone :)

scatty_mare

Visit site
It's a valid point about having to pay if you want a good service. However if what you are looking for is a decent rider (not necessarily professional) I would have thought you'd find someone would jump at the chance. I would!
Just like Jesstickle, I have 2 of my own but no money or transport to get out and about!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have not been able to ride this summer, so have offered my horse to someone else to ride on a couple of occassions. I've been more mucked about by the adults TBH (18-22yrs), who let me down a lot. In the end I have a 14/15yr old girl riding, who is much more open to help and suggestions, and really pays attention to what I ask....

duckling

www.facebook.com
If you were nearby I'd have bitten your hand off - I'm 23 and don't have the time to commit to my own, have recently reschooled and bought on other horses in a free loan-type agreement as I enjoy a challenge :) If you were willing to give me a lesson I wouldn't be offended at all - on the other horse I reschooled recently I paid for a few lessons on her so I could get a different perspective, and it was well worth it.
Typically, I used to be local to you too!! I'd keep looking, but don't discount a sensible teenager with supportive parents.

mainpower

Visit site
I would think that any person capable of riding to the standerd that you require, three times a week,would expect to be paid. Your horse is likely to be increasing in value as a result of someone putting in time and hard work(never mind the risks that young horses poise) Also if they are experianced would they consider a lesson as a bit of an insult to their riding?. I don't think that having an owner on the ground telling them how to ride would encourage many people. I think if you want a nicely schooled youngster perhaps you will have to pay for it.

To answer your points, and others who raised similar issues... I have seen adverts for 4yos to loan, difference being that the loaner either pays to keep them at the current yard or takes them elsewhere and pays everything anyway.
The lessons were optional, the lady who did ride him was confident to be left alone, some people like someone on the ground, do many people who compete not have lessons? I consider myself experienced, BHSAI, PC A test, hunted. evented, sj'd in my youth, but I still have lessons and go to clinics when I am competing. The other options are to not have lessons/help, or bring their own instructor.
I did not copy my ad onto here word for word, but I wouldn't snatch the horse back when he's going well. so I stated that it would be a minimum of one year, and the situation would be reviewed after that.
By adult, I put in the ad over 16s, partly because my yard is very quiet at times (it is my own DIY yard and I only have adult liveries).

Jesstickle

Visit site
If you'd like to move to Cambridge I will definitely do it mainpower :D :D I'd love it. These things never come up near me. boo.

Keep looking. I think what you're offering is a very good deal for someone tbh.

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
I would love to do something like this as my horses are retired and on loan. I am local to you and really interested but I need to think about whether I can commit to 3x a week (childcare etc). I'll PM later if thats ok.
Out of interest is your ad up locally or online? Is the yard actually in Biggin Hill?

mainpower

Visit site
I would love to do something like this as my horses are retired and on loan. I am local to you and really interested but I need to think about whether I can commit to 3x a week (childcare etc). I'll PM later if thats ok.
Out of interest is your ad up locally or online? Is the yard actually in Biggin Hill?

My yard is in Biggin Hill, I can pm you the ad (not sure if I can put link to other forum on here), but you may have to register to read it!

honetpot

Visit site
I have a six year old sports type Connemara proffesionally broken. Did any one want to loan her?Yes but they were usually at the other end of the country.
Most people seem to want a made animal and lots do not want a regular commitment or realise how much time a youngster makes.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
The type of person you seek is around.
I'm looking for exactely what you are offering (just in northampton :( )
I'm def an adult, ridden for over 40 years, have competed BE, BD, BS(JA) and wouldn't want to be paid.
Problem I have is people around here seem to want me to pay them for schooling their horse. :rolleyes:

JFTDWS

Visit site
At the risk of being slightly rude, I can't think of anything worse than working with a youngster with the owner watching over my shoulder like that - it would make it feel very tense. If you're getting paid to ride it, it's a more formal arrangement and the boundaries are much clearer. Furthermore, I'm extremely careful about who I take lessons from (currently no one as I can't find anyone "appropriate"), and a BHSAI qualification wouldn't necessarily reassure me there. You say these aspects are optional - does your ad make that clear?

Saying that, as a teenager, I would have done that sort of thing happily.

cobmum

Visit site
Wow i would definatley go for this what an amazing opportunity for someone!!! I wish that i saw an ad like rhis near me i wiuld bite there hand off!!!

binkymerlin

Visit site
gahhhh why oh why arnt we closer to each other? i would do this in a shot for you! i love to ride different horses! unfortunately i am 2hours 36mins away from you (yes i googled it to see if there was a chance. blast!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Even with someone like me, who has horses....I'd be happy to help out, and would in exchange....get you to give me lessons on MY horses!

Why don't you put that in an advert?

It might just bear a bit more fruit....

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I have actually just done this basically i am bringing on a OTTB for a lady who has health problems and cant really ride him but wont sell him either. I ride him and have lessons fronm my friend not because i am a poor rider but because i think its important to have someone on the ground to tell you what is happening if something feels good/bad. Even top riders have lessons.
I odnt think everybody would expect to be paid, i am grateful to have a horse to ride as i cant afford to have one of my own. I treat him as my own and pay for his shoes as i am getting benefit from that but his owner doesnt really like me doing that! The only thing she asked was that i would look after him when she is away.
So i dont think you are wrong and somewhere there will be the right person. If i was you advertise on preloved thats how i got this horse.

mainpower

Visit site
Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to answer my OP, especially those who gave positive answers and made me feel I wasn't totally nuts! :p
At the risk of being slightly rude, I can't think of anything worse than working with a youngster with the owner watching over my shoulder like that - it would make it feel very tense. If you're getting paid to ride it, it's a more formal arrangement and the boundaries are much clearer. Furthermore, I'm extremely careful about who I take lessons from (currently no one as I can't find anyone "appropriate"), and a BHSAI qualification wouldn't necessarily reassure me there. You say these aspects are optional - does your ad make that clear?

Saying that, as a teenager, I would have done that sort of thing happily.

Just wanted to address the points made here though...
The lady who came to ride him was also viewing another horse to share which she would have paid for, an older horse that needed schooling. But she cancelled that viewing as with my arrangement she'd have a project and a schoolmaster to ride.
I said that I wanted to see her ride my older horse, but realised she knew her stuff and she went straight on my 4yo. The first time I loitered in the school, but didn't say much... the 2nd I pottered about the yard, and after that she rode when I wasn't even at the yard.
A BHSAI is not the be all and end all of quals, but I wanted to make the point that I am not just a numpty owner who thinks they know it all... I also have a decent competition record stretching back 30 years, although I prefer not to jump much these days! :eek: I still have lessons and attend clinics, and I feel I can learn plenty from Mr/Ms Bloggs-Local, don't feel that unless my instructor is a big household name that I won't learn anything. :)

vallin

Visit site
I'll try to keep this brief, apologies if it turns into an essay.... :)
I have a 19yo horse and a 4yo. Due to my own health problems plus starting a new job next month (which involves a time consuming commute) I reached the decision that I do not have the physical capabilities or time to do my youngster justice... I got as far as backing and walk/trot round the school. So I advertised him as a free loan on my yard.
The deal was no money exchanged, I wanted someone who would commit to riding a minimum of three days a week with me helping from the ground, teaching them at the weekends, progressing to clinics and competing. I would provide free transport to events, iniitialy paying entry fees until he was more established. Also, if they wanted, they could compete my older horse, I would again provide transport, but not entry fees as he's been there, done it, got a few t-shirts and doesn't need the experience!
I only got three replies, two of which wanted to tell me how high they could jump and how fast they'd galloped, and although I'd stipulated I wanted an adult they were teenagers.The third seemed perfect, in her 30s, taught locally (as well as a "day" job) and rode a few horses for owners, but wanting something on a more regular basis. She came to try him out, they hit it off, and I was really happy to let her go up on her own and get on with it.
However, after about 4/5 rides she started dropping into the conversation about horses she was being paid to ride, then didn't come when arranged, made a few more vague plans about when she was coming, didn't show, and now won't answer her phone (calls and texts).
So who thinks I'm offering a good deal or is it ridiculous to think that someone would like to free loan a youngster, have the pick of two horses to ride and compete, transport thrown in, with lessons from me if they want (I do hold my BHSAI)? :rolleyes:

Move to Stoke or cambridge and I'm there like a shot!