Think I'm offering a good deal, why no takers?

TheEquineOak

Visit site
I have a very well behaved young man at home and had advertised for someone to help bring him on...

I had loads of replies but they were all unsuitable. I had everything, from 12 year old girls to a 50 year old - coming back to riding after 30 years off. I wouldn't mind but he was advertised as something that needed bringing on not a happy hack.

His part loaner has gone travelling and then she is back at university to we're back to square one, I'm considering paying my riding instructor to keep him going once a week.

PS. Can I still have the free lesson a week you are offering?! :D

Samantha008

Visit site
I think the teenager bit is the problem- most adults with that much time on their hands can probably afford a horse of their own. I LIKE paying for my horse...and a competent 19year old could be great for you!?

Also, for many people in the sharing world, there has to be an element of fun?? Schooling, having lessons and competeing all sounds good, but i wouldnt want to be put under that much pressure and not be paid :/

I would want the competing as an extra...i.e. all the hacking/ jumping FUN you could ask for with a few local shows when youre ready thrown in. If i was more competative than that, id probably own my own horse. If that makes sense???

Also, defo ask around Universities. Im the President of our Club and could tell you about 15 people that would jump at the chance to do that!! Youre not near reading are you? ;)

KVH

Visit site
Just to say, I saw your ad on TRF and thought it was a great deal, and am honestly very suprised it hasn't yet been snapped up!
It's funny though isn't it.. no matter how clearly you reiterate the horse is green and needs bringing on, or specifically say you don't want any teens, that you still get kids wanting to know how high said horse can jump or how fast said horse can go!! :rolleyes:
Best of luck finding someone.

mainpower

Visit site
19 isn't a problem, I stipulated 16 years and over. I hadn't ever thought of the more fun angle, all the "wanted for loan" ads I looked at either wanted happy hacker plods or horses that could be jumped and competed. And I suppose I just sort of assumed that someone who wanted to compete would just naturally see hacking as part of the fittening process. I don't actually think that there is a uni close to me, some research to be done this pm methinks!

kizzywiz

Visit site
When I needed some help getting Fleur out to some shows last summer I had to pay a pro I know, & the entries & take her there & back. I wouldn't expect someone to school my horse & compete it for free if they were any good. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I don't think you will get decent adult riders replying, teenagers might but they may lack the riding ability to bring the horse on properly.

mainpower

Visit site
When I needed some help getting Fleur out to some shows last summer I had to pay a pro I know, & the entries & take her there & back. I wouldn't expect someone to school my horse & compete it for free if they were any good. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I don't think you will get decent adult riders replying, teenagers might but they may lack the riding ability to bring the horse on properly.

I really don't want to be accused of advertising on here hence why I didn't put my ad in my OP. but a lot of the points being made are in the ad. I wanted someone who has already owned or loaned before, he's not a 1st horse, but I am happy for a rider with no previous youngster experience to ride him as long as they are a quiet confident rider. We all have to start somewhere and I think that I'm offering the chance for someone to gain valuable experience and skills. If you flip that round people would maybe pay for that? I still pay for lessons, what's the difference? I loaned my older horse out when he was 4 (although he was maturer and further into his education) when my circumstances changed and he came back an emotional wreck, so at least I can avoid this.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Sigh. If only real life were so simple! I can't even drive a lorry. Only tow a trailer. I am on a yard of unused lorries. How typical is that. If there was one person with a 4x4 and trailer I'd be off and running (all of them would lend me if I could but drive them) but no. No such luck.

I really am sure you'll find someone.

9tails

Visit site
Only if you let me pay all the upkeep on it, and allow me to upgrade to a new one every year.... :)

Now THAT is a deal I'm willing to take a punt on. Ship them both to Essex, I'll shoehorn them in somewhere.

I know quite a few sharers who, while good riders, aren't that interested in competing. So you might be losing out by putting such a pressurising carrot in front of them.

Last edited:

AMH

Visit site
I'm not far from you and looking for somewhere to keep a youngster for a while... Don't suppose you have space for a small one (at a fee, obviously) and get yours ridden as well? :)

mainpower

Visit site
I'm not far from you and looking for somewhere to keep a youngster for a while... Don't suppose you have space for a small one (at a fee, obviously) and get yours ridden as well? :)

I do have a space as it happens, preferably not a mare, but I don't have much grass... perfect for the lami/fatty Welshies here!

AMH

Visit site
Would be a mare initially - but she's not mareish at all and has lived on mixed yards no bother. I'm trying to help a friend whittle down numbers by trying to sell one or two for her, but can only afford one at a time! And after her there would be a gelding for bringing on, another baby...

As for lack of grass - as long as there's plenty of forage I don't think that's a problem...

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I wouldn't expect someone to school my horse & compete it for free if they were any good. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I don't think you will get decent adult riders replying
Have to disagree.
I have 40+ years experience.
Competed BE novice (and placed), qualified to ride Int.
Competed BS(JA) to 1.40mtr
Also competed BD but normally on young/very green horses.
Trained with Yogi Briesner, Gareth Hughes, Steven Smith etc
If OP was in Northampton I would be there like a shot. No longer have my own horse and cant afford a third one as wife and daughter have horses already (too small for me really).
What OP is offering would be perfect as I also love bringing on young horses.

mainpower

Visit site
Would be a mare initially - but she's not mareish at all and has lived on mixed yards no bother. I'm trying to help a friend whittle down numbers by trying to sell one or two for her, but can only afford one at a time! And after her there would be a gelding for bringing on, another baby...

As for lack of grass - as long as there's plenty of forage I don't think that's a problem...

Pm me if you'd like to have a look and a chat... I do have a mare livery, her seasons are short and she's not too much bother, but the last one I had caused mayhem with a couple of the boys!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I thinks it sounds a good deal, there are just as many people who agree as those who dont. So there is bound to be someone your way if yoiu keep looking. Good luck

JFTDWS

Visit site
:eek: I still have lessons and attend clinics, and I feel I can learn plenty from Mr/Ms Bloggs-Local, don't feel that unless my instructor is a big household name that I won't learn anything. :)

Having re-read my previous post, I feel the need to clarify that I'm not obsessed with household names - quite the opposite in fact! My problem is finding someone who teaches in a manner I think is appropriate for my horse - i.e. doesn't use statements such as "give him a good kick in the ribs for that" and generally is more classically leaning (rhythm, suppleness, balance before head carriage, the latter without forcing his nose btv etc). IME a lot of BHSAIs are more gadget orientated, which wouldn't suit me, hence what I said before. But I did meet a lovely BHSAI who I seriously considered kidnapping because he was so perfect, recently. Anyway, this isn't relevant or anything, just rambling.

I gathered from your posts before that you weren't standing barking instructions at the person you had before, but the way you described it initially (first post) made it sound as if you might be - therefore, my point was really: "Is it clear in your advert that you won't be watching like a hawk to pounce at the slightest miscommunication between horse and rider?"

Just a thought - it's easy to give people the wrong idea in a brief advert like that!

mainpower

Visit site
Ramble away JFTD... I'm very old school, took my AI in 1980, in the days of the Horsemasters and PT exams... my mantra was Really Super In Bed... rhythm/suppleness/impulsion and balance... :)

Mithras

Visit site
I wonder why you wouldn't consider a teenager? If you can find a talented rider who is young and keen, it could be a really beneficial arrangement. Sadly as I found when I advertised a horse for free share, many adults find the committment too much even a few days a week because they have other pressures on their time, or think they should be paid, even when they are not very good riders and you're more worried about them spoiling the horse...

Pachamama

Visit site
I think that's a pretty good deal; I know someone very competent who took on a similar arrangement as she was desperate to get competing again; ride Monday to Friday PLUS muck out with, in theory, transport and competitions paid for... after a couple of months none of of the competitions came to fruition; it was all about mucking out and schooling horse BUT friend noticed the owner cooling off, heard a few rumours against her FROM the owner of the horse and took her chance when she had it and walked. Went to someone who paid her to hack out. So, no competitions, but at least not working for free. She's pretty peed off about the whole scenario.

Cazza525

Visit site
Your deal sounds fabulous on paper, but I think at the moment, you may have to pay someone. Unfortunately, its a sign of the times with current legislation and health and safety I think. Also, I have to agree with someone else on here that said that some people don't want the owner looking over their shoulder, could make them feel uneasy and somewhat like they are being examined to check that they're good enough. Also, reading the ad, most adults would feel that taking on a 4 year old could be for schooling, for nothing more than the owner's gain, because quite frankly, you as the owner, are ultimately going to gain from it as your lovely young horse is being schooled and ridden by a competent person for nothing and also competed, which will increase value.

I apologise if this seems negative, but realistically if you were offering a 'been there, seen it, done it' happy hacker for free riding 3 times a week with no commitment to competing or endangering yourself (not that i'm suggesting your youngster is anything but sane), then I know you would have your hand snapped off.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think it sounds a fantastic deal for someone. I've already answered on an earlier thread that I have a 14/15yr old ride my horse, and she is way better than the older ones who came! I'm also a BHSAI (and also old school, in fact found the most AIs do gadgets a strange comment - yes it perhaps is your area!) and I give her regular lessons on my horse too - it reassures me that she is safe on him and getting used to him as much as, or more than, it helps the horse.. I don't think that you sound picky at all. Something will come up!

mainpower

Visit site
Your deal sounds fabulous on paper, but I think at the moment, you may have to pay someone. Unfortunately, its a sign of the times with current legislation and health and safety I think. Also, I have to agree with someone else on here that said that some people don't want the owner looking over their shoulder, could make them feel uneasy and somewhat like they are being examined to check that they're good enough. Also, reading the ad, most adults would feel that taking on a 4 year old could be for schooling, for nothing more than the owner's gain, because quite frankly, you as the owner, are ultimately going to gain from it as your lovely young horse is being schooled and ridden by a competent person for nothing and also competed, which will increase value.

I apologise if this seems negative, but realistically if you were offering a 'been there, seen it, done it' happy hacker for free riding 3 times a week with no commitment to competing or endangering yourself (not that i'm suggesting your youngster is anything but sane), then I know you would have your hand snapped off.

I wish I could put my actual ad up here without being accused of advertising! Before placing an ad I trawled through loads of "wanted" ads, and they fell into two categories, first horse/happy hackers or people who wanted to compete. I thought that taking a horse to shows was a positive plus, yet some people on here make it sound negative! I also looked at horses offered for loan, and there were plenty of green 4yos offered too, I'm offering a loan for a minimum of one year, plus the chance to ride my schoolmaster, if they want. We all have to start somewhere, and I'm happy to offer someone a chance to learn the ropes producing a youngster, with my help if needed, would you pay someone to ride your youngster if they had no experience in schooling? Is this any different to someone loaning an older horse which has maybe been spoiled in some way? Or loaning my older dressage horse to someone who wants to work on his jumping? Increasing value to me is irrelevant because unless my circumstances change then he will not be sold.