Thinking of using hobbles. what do I need to know?

MDB

Visit site
It's 3am. I was awoken at 1:30am by a phonecall from my neighbour saying 'do you know where your horse is?' My 6 year old gelding had just broken through our 10,000, volt, 1.5m high electric fence, dragged a 20m rope with an enormous tyre on the end 200m through our property and ploughed through my neighbour's two electric fences totally wrecking them for the third time. When the tyre got stuck he broke free of his headcollar, the metalwork snapped and he proceeded to have a party with my neighbours two mares. I am getting somewhat sick and tired of his antics as are my neighbours....

My new rescue who we have had for a week remained in our field and when I ran out in the pitch dark she came straight towards me. Bless her. When we brought my gelding back she was so pleased.. whinneying away. . Don't know why she likes him so much as he is a real bully to her.

So, I am thinking as a last resort I need to hobble him. Thoughts on the pros and cons and how I safely teach him to be hobbled would be greatly appreciated. Or any other suggestions....

Thanks a lot.

MDB

Visit site
He is unrugged. It has been raining for five days.. the ground is saturated and the horse wet. The electric fencing has 12cm thick wooden posts, 1.5m tall which are driven into the ground a foot or so deep. He has broken half a dozen of them with the force, and some have been pulled clean out of the ground. My electric fence has five lines of hot wire starting a foot off the ground. ....

Last edited:

Mrs C

Visit site
I'd be looking at why he wants to escape... It sounded from your post he is tethered unrugged on a 20m chain and it's been raining for 5 days. Sorry if i'm wrong but is he tethered? Enough food and water? Company?

Stormynight

Visit site
Thinking outside the box a little here, but how thick is his winter coat? Is he a native type?

I have bells ringing somewhere that hair can act as a buffer on electric fencing if it's thick enough... perhaps worth looking it up to be sure, but maybe a bib clip could discourage him if that's the case?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Please, do NOT put hobbles on him if he is out with any other horses/ponies.
I dont need to tell you what can happen if 1 horse is totally restricted in movement and something makes them startle - even just for a couple of seconds. The end result is not very nice at all for horse or owner on most occasions.
Some options:
Try clipping front off.
Try permanent fencing for an area backed up by electric fence
Stable only when you are not there.
Enclosed lunge pen
Increase height of fence so it cannot be jumped, or that they cannot get head over at all.

I have 1 paddock with the fencing still over 8 ft on one boundary (was for a 13hh to be kept in)

OP, good luck in whatever you find to resolve the problem

MDB

Visit site
He wants to be with my neighbour's mares. When I got him our field wasn't ready. So my kind neighbour said he could go in with his mares until it was. When our field was ready I brought him up and he was very unhappy and escaped twice. I have written some posts on here asking advice. The consensus was to get him a companion. Whilst searching for a companion my horse remained with the mares because he was unable to be left in our field loose because he would jump the fence. I would ride him every day bringing him up to our paddock for nice food and treats and ride him back and also doing some small hacks.
He hasn't yet taken to his new field companion and is being a bully and is very aggressive to her, chases her away with ears pinned and teeth bared and bites her hard at any opportunity, and he is still longing for my neighbour's mares. Infact, the new companion came within 15m of him and he suddenly exploded a few days ago whilst I was grooming him, knocking me to the ground and I have a plate sided purple bruise on my hip. His winter coat is coming through so I guess it could be a barrier for the current, but then I accidently touched the fence last week trying to crawl under the gated area and the current passed through my thick fleece and I ended up face down in the paddock.
he has access to a recently built shelter with soft bedding, a salt lick, and fresh water which I change every day. He gets warm mash in the mornings and evenings when it is is cold. I move his locatoon around the paddock so he has plenty of lush grass to eat and infact he is becoming a bit of a porker so his grazing needs to be reduced. He gets groomed every day and because I don't work at the moment and the field is 20m away he sees me around a dozen times a day. He is a pampered very much and will always come when called.
The mare that is in the same paddock as him is submissive and friendly. She stood quietly beside the broken fence last night remaing in the paddock watching my gelding and my neighbour's two mares party on in the neighbouring field.
My fear is that soon I am going to have a very big vet bill or a very big law suit if his behaviour continues so I am kind of desperate now....

MDB

Visit site
Some pics of him and his shelter...
20141105_094106_zps1cea75ea.jpg

20141105_092415_zps1da19b57.jpg

Landcruiser

Visit site
Gosh, that's a tricky one. I have alarm bells ringing about tethering a horse within reach of a loose horse - she could get swept up and tangled by his tether. It sounds like she may not be the right companion for him, made more difficult because he's fixated on your neighbour's mares. No real suggestions apart from the fencing - how about double fencing, both lots electrified. I don't suppose you have an option to stable your two somewhere out of sight/sound of the 2 mares?

If you do decide to hobble, you'd have to split your mare into a sep. section - and it couldn't be a long term solution. You couldn't keep him permanently hobbled, he'd end up with terrible muscle damage apart from the danger of injury.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
tether him? properly with a proper swivelling neck tie and pin driven in to the ground?

but you will need to seperate the mare from him so she cant get tangled up.

not a nice option but unless you can afford to make your boundary about 8 foot high and solid wood so he cant even see through it i dont know what else you can do tbh. he sounds like standard post and rail wouldnt stop him even slightly!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Do you love him?

I don't think this is going to improve until he forgets the mares he is in love with, so it either means building the equivalent of the Berlin Wall - very tall chain link fence type fencing that he cannot get up to to push against - or try moving him away for a couple of months, but that might not solve the problem if he instantly wants to move in with them again.

I think the solution is some much higher fence that he cannot get his head over to push.

MDB

Visit site
I know.. it's really tricky. I know I can't hobble him forever. He has been tied to a proper stake in the ground with a swively pin, however I thought that with a tyre he could maneouvre himself a little bit but it would reduce his strenght and he wouldn't be able to get out... like giving him a wee bit of extra freedom. My mare can't get within 20m or so because he goes for her so I am not too worried about her getting tangled cos she stays well away... but I take on board what you say and realise it isnt ideal and I shoukd keep them apart.

I should also mention that he has jumped the two electric fences to get INTO my paddock because he was hungry and there is more grass in my field than my neighbour's.

I love him dearly but starting to wonder whether I need to move him on as I can't see a solution....

Spottyappy

Visit site
I wouldn't hobble ever in an open field. Too dangerous.
Nor tether in any shape or form with the mare in the field, as even if she won't come near, he may go for her and she inadvertently get caught up, resulting in very nasty accident.
Could you shut him in the field shelter at all for a few days so he, at least, gets used to being in your field and not your neighbours?
I would also do the electric as a Double row, one behind the other and use rope as I believe it conducts better than tape. Clip his chest so the shock is heightened.
Failing that, you may need to invest in a proper boundary fence like horse netting or post and rail, electrified still the top.
Once a horse learns it can get through electric, it's really hard to stop it, unfortunately.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i think the only low cost way is to continue to tether him and fence the mare off away from him.

cruel to be kind-he is eventually going to de-glove one or more leg charging through elec fence constantly.

MDB

Visit site
i think the only low cost way is to continue to tether him and fence the mare off away from him.
cruel to be kind-he is eventually going to de-glove one or more leg charging through elec fence constantly.

My fears exactly. I totally take on board the tethering and will fence off my sweet little mare. My worry is that I could tether him for months but he minute he is loose he will try to escape as the neighbour's mares are within sight. I am starting to think the only solution is to move him on :(

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
He sounds too much of a handful really. You are not going to be able to enjoy having him as much as you should, and as you say it is only a matter of time before you have to pay a fortune in either vet bills or compensation to a neighbour.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I'd re-home him and look for another dear little soul like your mare.

MDB

Visit site
Sorry to be stupid (on a steep learning curve here!) Can you tell me why you wouldn't hobble a horse in a field? I have seen lots of horses hobbled along with loose horses in the steppes of Mongolia. ...

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I don't have an issue with certain horses being hobbled. As you say in other countries it is considered normal, it's just that it's generally 'not the done thing' in the UK.

With your boy, though, it could be a disaster. He is obviously a very active, determined creature, and will probably try the same antics whilst hobbled resulting in injuries.

bakewell

Visit site
Horses need to be taught to wear hobbles (and some never get it). There are different types and you can vary them to prevent damage. However as others have said he sounds like a horse that is going to break his or someone else's leg trying to get away. Likewise the fence; if you make it "impenetrable" he's not going to stop trying to get through it but he is going to start injuring himself.
Teaching horses to wear hobbles is a useful skill, especially for those who drive, as it teaches them not to panic with stuff around their feet.

Is there any possibility of organising day/ night alternate turnout with your neighbour? Or perhaps seeing if they would allow one of the mares in with him as a companion (sounds like he may have burned this bridge for you though). You could try rig calm if you think there's any hormonal aspect.

The only thing I have ever encountered that stopped horses who were this determined to meet up is pigs. A bit of a drastic boundary though!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Very difficult one. I can see why you're tethering. I've heard of a horse tethered to a tyre jumping out before. It got the tyre bouncing along behind and it bounced over the fence with him.

Could you double fence the field with electric, ie two rows of fencing too wide to jump together and too narrow to bounce? Or is he just running through it?

Have you spoken to the vet? A calmer at night may help, or it may be hormonal. My first pony got very riggy and possessive over a mare when he got elderly. How old is he?

My final comment is get him out doing BSJA!

be positive

Visit site
He sounds very riggy to me, I think I would get him blood tested to see if he is a true rig, if that is negative then I would be exploring using a supplement to reduce his hormonal behaviour as he is acting in an unusual way being so fixated on the mares up the lane yet not liking his new lady companion.
I don't see what more you can do without building fort knox type fencing, he is obviously less bothered by the risk of getting shocked than the desire to get back to his herd.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Now I'm usually in favour of sitting on the fence and not judging anyone on this board.

BUT from the questions you are asking and the manner you are attempting to keep this poor horse in I do really wonder whether you have a single clue about what you are doing. To my way of thinking the only way to solve this issue, is to keep the horse in a more suitable place. He is obviously suffering mentally as things are, if he wasn't he wouldn't be behaving as he is. The only obvious thing that springs to my mind is that if you carry on keeping him like this and attempting to keep him where you want, is that either he, the mares or you, possibly all of you are going to get very seriously hurt. If the place isn't ready for him, then don't keep him there. Stick your hand in your pocket and rent somewhere else or take a place on a livery yard until it is.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
agree with the rig comment although I have seen horses pair bonded that you cant do anything with when they are on their own-one reason I prefer to have single sex herds and why horses need to learn to be away from their friends from the beginning.

Another approach is to get a behaviourist in -not some natural horsemanship person but a proper, qualified behaviourist.

MDB

Visit site
Now I'm usually in favour of sitting on the fence and not judging anyone on this board.

BUT from the questions you are asking and the manner you are attempting to keep this poor horse in I do really wonder whether you have a single clue about what you are doing. To my way of thinking the only way to solve this issue, is to keep the horse in a more suitable place. He is obviously suffering mentally as things are, if he wasn't he wouldn't be behaving as he is. The only obvious thing that springs to my mind is that if you carry on keeping him like this and attempting to keep him where you want, is that either he, the mares or you, possibly all of you are going to get very seriously hurt. If the place isn't ready for him, then don't keep him there. Stick your hand in your pocket and rent somewhere else or take a place on a livery yard until it is.

I appreciate all comments.. but can you tell me why am I keeping him in a place that isnt suitable?

He has nearly two acres, a newly built shelter, soft bedding, fresh hay and water, salt lick, he is attended to day and night, i spend hours with him every day, either riding, grooming, poo picking or just hanging out and weeding the paddock, and there is a 1.5m electric fence around the paddock. What isn't suitable?

MDB

Visit site
agree with the rig comment although I have seen horses pair bonded that you cant do anything with when they are on their own-one reason I prefer to have single sex herds and why horses need to learn to be away from their friends from the beginning.
Another approach is to get a behaviourist in -not some natural horsemanship person but a proper, qualified behaviourist.

Thanks.. I will see if I can get a behaviourist though I suspect it may be tricky where I am in rural Spain. Was already thinking along the lines of a calmer and getting vet check. He did have lots of blood tests a few months ago after recovering from piroplasmosis which cost us a nice four figure sum of money ;) nothing came up in his bloods back then but that isn't to say things haven't changed.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site

thats absolutely NOT fair.

OP has clearly built a fence that would keep most elephants in never mind horses and has provided him with food, shelter and company.

that the horse is fixated on the neighbours horses is beyond anyones control!!!!!!!

Auslander

Visit site
I don't think that you are going to have any joy keeping him where you want to while you just have electric fencing. Is it attached to wooden posts - because this will make it easier to replace the tape with wooden rails. He clearly doesn't care about the electric fencing, so I think post and rail fencing is the only way to go. It will have to be high as well, as it sounds like he's happy to jump it when he isn't going through it!

Suechoccy

Visit site
He is has bonded very deeply with the mare and is lonely and insecure now you've taken him away from the safety of her/the herd, and forced him to live on his own, made worse that he can still see/hear her so he's desperate to get back to her.

Unless you can separate them entirely sound/sight, then it's not going to work, unless you can get a companion to live with him who he transfers his affections to.

Tying him on a long line to a tyre, and then leaving him loose in the field, is both an accident waiting to happen, as shown last night when he's gone through the fencing with the tyre attached to him until it finally broke off the line/headcollar, and dragging the tyre round with him will put an unnatural strain on his neck muscles too, causing pain. It takes a lot of force to break a line/headcollar as he did last night while escaping from the tyre so he may well be in pain along his neck at the moment too. That will make him want to seek out his own company even more so as he is currently vulnerable.

He needs to be able to interact with other horses.