Thinking of using hobbles. what do I need to know?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
You are completely wrong. I am prepared to address my fencing as I am prepared to get the vet out, as I was prepared to get him a companion. But, I have a horse today which is a potential accident waiting to happen. Right at this minute I have nowhere else to move him to. I live in rural Spain. There are no liveries nearby and any other nearby areas or available land has flimsier fencing than I have. I have personally checked every hot wire all around the fence and it all reads 8-10,000 volts. As of right now, today, this minute, he has to be tied as I simply have no option other than leaving him loose... as even new fencing cannot be done in a day. Personally I am not sure any fencing is going to deter him from attempting to escape. But thanks for your compassion and understanding in helping to provide useful advice.

I would shut him in the shelter over night rather than tying him up.

MDB

Visit site
Just out of total curiosity, what colour our your neighbours mares?
(I'll get to the point in a min, once the question has been answered!)

The neighbours mares are dark bay and grey. He was a total bully to the grey. Our new mare is grey. But he lived with two grey geldings in his previous home... Of course I have no idea who was top of the pecking order in that situation.

Jericho

Visit site
totally off the wall thought but what about putting a fly mask on him so as to just try and blur his vision (as I am sure they must) and make him think twice before attempting a barrier demolition.

On a dffernet note I would def go for building a bond with your new mare. We found that when we introduced our new gelding to my very gentle submissive mare he hated her but as she was his only companion he suddenly realised he didnt like it when she wasnt there and he loves going out on hacks with her. If you get the chance to do this it might work.

It might not solve the immediate fence barging/jumping problem but might help longer term . For now I think I would go for the putting him in a field shelter option for now but with your mare very close by/ in eye sight at all times until you get a higher more solid fence up.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If you're going to tie him up, you could tie him like a stalled horse with a length of rope passed through the tie ring and reaching the floor. The end is put through a wooden donut that's larger than the tie ring and the rope tied in a knot under the donut. It will allow him to lie down without getting tangled in a long rope when he is stood up.

ridefast

Visit site
Try to find a bay companion? Or see if your neighbour is happy to swap fields, so your grey in with her grey and her bay in with your gelding? Unless that would not be practical for neighbour?

_HP_

Visit site
As he is going through it, is the fence tensioned enough. My pony will quickly flip it over his back or lean on it and scramble quickly over if it's not tensioned so that there is very little movement of it.
Have you actually seen him try to jump it or do you just find him where he shouldn't be? Could it be wild animals like deer wrecking the fencing?
I only use one strand at chest height for my cob and Shetlands (different fields obviously ) and they will only try it on if the pulse is low or weak or if the tension is slack...

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
If he's been tethered a lot previously and knows how to work his tether without trying to get free I think I'd just tether him overnight, he'd probably prefer that to been shut in a stable. A padded neck strap would be better for tethering than the head collar btw. Like the others have said you would need to keep him separate to the mare though. I wouldn't risk hobbles on a big 6yo that wasn't used to them, and I wouldn't leave one hobbled unsupervised anyway - disaster waiting to happen.

MDB

Visit site
As he is going through it, is the fence tensioned enough. My pony will quickly flip it over his back or lean on it and scramble quickly over if it's not tensioned so that there is very little movement of it.
Have you actually seen him try to jump it or do you just find him where he shouldn't be? Could it be wild animals like deer wrecking the fencing?
I only use one strand at chest height for my cob and Shetlands (different fields obviously ) and they will only try it on if the pulse is low or weak or if the tension is slack...

Well I have five strands of hot wire starting a foot of the ground and going up to two metres. It is definitely him jumping it because I saw him do it before, he tries to jump but ends up ploughing through it and leaves the fence strewn along the paddock in his wake. I think I could tension it a bit more, so I will do that, but my neighbours two fences are tensioned super tight and he still jumps through them.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He's a nice looking horse, OP. Perfect weight but it does look like he may have a slight crest. I wouldn't be surprised, as others have suggested, if he's a rig. Good luck with him. It must be a terrible worry.

MDB

Visit site
If he's been tethered a lot previously and knows how to work his tether without trying to get free I think I'd just tether him overnight, he'd probably prefer that to been shut in a stable. A padded neck strap would be better for tethering than the head collar btw. Like the others have said you would need to keep him separate to the mare though. I wouldn't risk hobbles on a big 6yo that wasn't used to them, and I wouldn't leave one hobbled unsupervised anyway - disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for that.. I will look into a padded neck collar. He is quite calm being tethered, it's something that is done frequently to horses here in Spain. The first five metres of rope are inside a lightweight hosepipe so that there is no risk of him getting tangled and he can roll around in the dirt and manage comfortably. Of course, any form of restraint is not ideal long term.....it's not good quality of life for him to be restrained. If only he could bond with my mare and be happy to be loose in the field... But my concern is that I could restrain him for five days or five weeks and whenever I set him loose he will make a beeline for the neighbours horses again. i guess right now I am unsure if he will ever be happy in our field, and how long to give it.... Because if he is going to be unhappy unless he is with my neighbours horses then perhaps he needs a fresh start and to have a new home.... As much as it pains me to says it... But we bought this property to have a horses on the premises, and my neighbour is happy to be rid of him, especially since he bullies they grey mare... So if vet checks come back ok, if I reinforce my fence even more and he still jumps the fence.. Then sadly I am not sure what my options are.

MDB

Visit site
I have a mix of wooden and synthetic posts (not sure of the material).. used a lot here because it is so wet in winter that wood rots.

My neighbour has enormous wooden posts with highly tensioned electric fencing.

This pic was in August and has four lines of wire. I have added one more so there is five. All wires read 8 - 10,000 volts.

20140805_095056_zps7bfcb9d6.jpg

Tiffany

Visit site
how would your neighbour feel about you sharing fields. So her mares in with your two and then rotate and put yours in with hers.

I don't like the thought of tethering and I certainly wouldn't hobble.

MDB

Visit site
how would your neighbour feel about you sharing fields. So her mares in with your two and then rotate and put yours in with hers.

I don't like the thought of tethering and I certainly wouldn't hobble.

It isn't really possible. They are glad to be rid of him because he jumps their fence to escape their field and their mares follow, and they are of course concerned about the safety of their own horses.

bakewell

Visit site
If only he could bond with my mare and be happy to be loose in the field... But my concern is that I could restrain him for five days or five weeks and whenever I set him loose he will make a beeline for the neighbours horses again. i guess right now I am unsure if he will ever be happy in our field, and how long to give it.... Because if he is going to be unhappy unless he is with my neighbours horses then perhaps he needs a fresh start and to have a new home.... As much as it pains me to says it... But we bought this property to have a horses on the premises, and my neighbour is happy to be rid of him, especially since he bullies they grey mare... So if vet checks come back ok, if I reinforce my fence even more and he still jumps the fence.. Then sadly I am not sure what my options are.

I am sure you will be able to resolve this, whatever the issue is. Your whole posting history points to someone that is conscientious and caring about their horses. With time he will undoubtedly relax more and bond with you and your mare.

Also don't feel too bad about restraint. Horses in spain have been bred for generations to lead this lifestyle when male due to the environmental constraints. It shouldn't be permanent from our human moral perspective but short term it's not going to do him any harm (especially compared to what he's going through on his escapades)

Do try to spend some quality time with him. It's easy when there's a problem horse to dread interracting with them but this is a very small (albeit extremely frustrating) part of his personality. Take some pleasure in all the other things that are good about him.

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Could it be that he hasn't been gelded long? If he turns out not to be a rig but in fact was cut late he'll most likely calm down over the winter. I had an 11 YO stallion gelded once - it was that or the meat man. He'd lived all his life tethered (not with me..) and it was a year before he could be turned out with a mixed herd. Your boy sounds like he'll be fine on the tether for the time being, good luck with him in any case :)

Tiffany

Visit site
It isn't really possible. They are glad to be rid of him because he jumps their fence to escape their field and their mares follow, and they are of course concerned about the safety of their own horses.

I can understand that. If food is what he lives for, what about trying a muzzle? I'm not a great fan of them but if it slows his eating down, it will take him longer to get his tummy full so he might stay in your field.

There's obviously a reason he's doing what he's doing and being a rig might be it?

Interestingly, my girl always jumped out of fields and went back to her stable when she got fed up until my last yard. She's never jumped out here, even when there's been very little grass so I can only think, she preferred the lay out of fields, her field buddy and the routine of yard suited her and she felt stage.

If only they could talk. Good luck with your boy

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Christ that is some serious fencing. As others have said, get the vet out for a blood test and keep looking for alternative grazing in case something pops up. It sounds like he needs cold turkey!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Now I'm usually in favour of sitting on the fence and not judging anyone on this board.

BUT from the questions you are asking and the manner you are attempting to keep this poor horse in I do really wonder whether you have a single clue about what you are doing. To my way of thinking the only way to solve this issue, is to keep the horse in a more suitable place. He is obviously suffering mentally as things are, if he wasn't he wouldn't be behaving as he is. The only obvious thing that springs to my mind is that if you carry on keeping him like this and attempting to keep him where you want, is that either he, the mares or you, possibly all of you are going to get very seriously hurt. If the place isn't ready for him, then don't keep him there. Stick your hand in your pocket and rent somewhere else or take a place on a livery yard until it is.
Have to agree with this, sorry. If you continue to tether him like this, someone is going to get hurt.

_HP_

Visit site
I have a mix of wooden and synthetic posts (not sure of the material).. used a lot here because it is so wet in winter that wood rots.

My neighbour has enormous wooden posts with highly tensioned electric fencing.

This pic was in August and has four lines of wire. I have added one more so there is five. All wires read 8 - 10,000 volts.

20140805_095056_zps7bfcb9d6.jpg

If you can't put up permanent fencing I would put in more fence posts...the more posts the better with electric fencing..:)