This obsolete forum software!

Dry Rot

Visit site
My usual rant. I cleaned out my browser's cache the other day and now have to log on every time I want to browse the forum. Yes, I've ticked the little box to store my password and my Mac also (allegedly) stores it too. I am also getting a bit fed up with having to hit 'back' three times to go back a page as well.

The first forum I view each morning is The Farming Forum. It is brilliant with lots of new features and they keep adding to them. It is years ahead of good ole HHO. So why do I keep coming back here? It's the content written by you lot, nothing to do with H&H or IPC who are too arrogant to do more than the bare minimum.

I am told the reason TFF is so good and HHO so bad is because IPC fell out with the person who designed the software and he moved over to TFF. That sounds quite plausible to me. IPC went around and bought up as many magazine titles as it could years ago and now has a monopoly in some areas. As Maggie Thatcher used to say, "A monopoly is bad for the consumer". I've written for IPC magazines for many years and I can tell you, they are bad for writers too.

So get your collective fingers out IPC and get up to date. I don't write for you any more so I don't care if I upset you. I'll keep grumbling about this until you get your act together. But you probably won't. Arrogant stupid people don't learn, they just bully their way through life.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haha! you want to try reading & using the British Dressage forum, if you think this is obsolete ;)

The content can be excellent, thought provoking, funny, supportive etc, but the tech is terrible! This is supremely wonderful by comparison, so I'm not moaning :lol:

Archangel

Visit site
I don't think it's that bad - I never have the problems you describe.
Are you sure it isn't user error? :D *trots off snorting*

WelshD

Visit site
They can't win

The last time they made a change lots of people threw a wobbly and some never came back

They may not need the membership numbers but they probably don't want the aggro!

fburton

Visit site
I find the forum software fairly comfortable to use. However, what I would really like is to have replies in threads that I posted in (or marked to follow) automatically assembled for me to read - a bit like an RSS feed - so that I don't have to go looking to see if there have been further developments.

Dry Rot

Visit site
So everyone is happy with second rate. Which I'm not. So I will continue to grumble and complain. Things can be better and the majority of the posters on here deserve it.

I can't help smiling smugly to myself thinking how the satisfied minority must live! Well, I couldn't do it. Sorry, but I have learnt that things never improve if you just put up with them.

Noiw I have to click my 'back' button three times to get back to the list of new posts. <sigh>

EllenJay

Visit site
So everyone is happy with second rate. Which I'm not. So I will continue to grumble and complain. Things can be better and the majority of the posters on here deserve it.

I can't help smiling smugly to myself thinking how the satisfied minority must live! Well, I couldn't do it. Sorry, but I have learnt that things never improve if you just put up with them.

Noiw I have to click my 'back' button three times to get back to the list of new posts. <sigh>

I think the issues you are having is more down to your hardware than the forum software. I use this forum on a number of different devices and they all remember my login details, and I only have to click once to go back.

I agree that the software could do with updating, but inevitably that always causes more issues than it solves.

Theocat

Visit site
Yes, the tech here could be better - but it's a free service. If HHO could see value in investing in it I'm sure they would. As consumers, we have the ultimate right to choose whether or not to use the service.

It's a bit rich to demand changes on something you aren't paying for!

fburton

Visit site
I think you can do that by clicking on your name on a post, then 'view forum posts'. Brings them all up, most recent first
Useful to know, but not quite what I had in mind. It would be really nice to see all the replies in threads posted to, as they appear (via some kind of push notification).

fburton

Visit site
Why don't you just click and hold the back arrow then scroll down to the page you want as that's only 2 clicks?
Or open a new tab from the list of new posts. Then when you close the tab you're back at the page where you branched off. At least, that's the way it works in the browser I use (Opera).

Dry Rot

Visit site
On another forum. I can hover my mouse button over a post and a few lines pops up showing me what it's about. Here I have to open the post. On another forum, there is an indicator on a thread telling me it is one I'm following. A lttle box alerts me if anyone comments on a thread I am interested in, Etc., etc., etc.

Please don't tell me HHO "It's free!". It is NOT! You pay with your input. I get paid for what I write for other publications, HHO get my input for nothing. And they use it, and yours, to pull in advertising. HHO free contributions are in effect loss leaders, and those who contribute are the losers. Sorry, but if I was writing for the H&H magazine I would expect both to be paid for my copy and to get a free copy of the magazine.

If the people behind HHO cannot wite software, maybe they should get someone who can? I don't really think it is good enough saying, "Oh well, they made a mess of it last time so we should just put up with it as it is". How far do we get in life if we accept that as the way to live?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
take%20a%20deep%20breath_zpswveto9sp.gif

This forum isnt too bad, the extra things you seem to want are all just little time savers to make life a teeny but easier, yes they're nice but not essential, I'm happy with what we have, but thats just me.

Theocat

Visit site
Please don't tell me HHO "It's free!". It is NOT! You pay with your input. I get paid for what I write for other publications, HHO get my input for nothing. And they use it, and yours, to pull in advertising. HHO free contributions are in effect loss leaders, and those who contribute are the losers. ?

I am "paid" for my investment of time -(and occasionally 'knowledge' :D ) by getting access to the content. The return on invested time is worth it for me - as it must be for you, or you would stop using the forum.

If the tech stopped enough people using the forum, HHO would change it to attract more users. People aren't sufficiently bothered by it to stop using it - including you! - so there's limited benefit for HHO in investing any money in improving it.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Ok, so what is Benedict Cumberbatch actually saying? :)

Think it actually is 'take a deep breath' but my lip reading abilities are shocking so could be anything i guess!

I am "paid" for my investment of time -(and occasionally 'knowledge' :D ) by getting access to the content. The return on invested time is worth it for me - as it must be for you, or you would stop using the forum.

That's a really good way of thinking about it, content as a form of payment, awesome, so we get knowledge, entertainment, advice and enjoyment as a return for out input, like it.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
It's only a forum, you don't have to use it! yes there could be bonus features to improve it but the forum in general does pretty well. If i was paying to use it then i would expect more but I'm not so i don't. I cant say i've any issues with it.

ETA; Yes, Benedict it saying that, comes from Sherlock :)