Thoroughbred feed?

Coco’s Dad

Visit site
If she owns show jumpers I imagine she's not thinking of getting him fat - I wonder if she just thinks he needs a balancer or something like that? The SJ yard I worked on didn't have a single fat horse on it!

CD will you tell us what she recommends?
Recommendations are as follows:
Kwikbeet
Mole valley cooling mix
Alfalfa original mole valley

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Thanks, he’s only on the lunge so as I said at the start I thought hay was enough?
I would agree with that. If your happy with how he looks, and he will look lean possibly he is only 4 and a tb, then as long as he is eating a decent amount of hay and grass i wouldn't add anything just yet.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
is she maybe suggesting a feed because the other horses on the yard get fed and he would be the only one getting a bucket? some yards like everything to be fed at the same time. if that's the case then I'd go for the qwik beet and alfalfa from those options and a vit and min supplement rather than the mix.

Coco’s Dad

Visit site
is she maybe suggesting a feed because the other horses on the yard get fed and he would be the only one getting a bucket? some yards like everything to be fed at the same time. if that's the case then I'd go for the qwik beet and alfalfa from those options and a vit and min supplement rather than the mix.
Yes you could be right, she did say at the start she wouldn’t want him feeling left out ?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have a TB ex racer who can get fat on haylage and grass and he is working. If Coco must have a bucket to stop him stressing at feed time, I'd give some sort of chopped grass like Readigrass and some Speedibeet in very minimal quantities. Maybe leave a couple of sliced carrots for him if you're not giving the feeds out. Why do some people love to feed and feel that giving no bucket stuff is criminal neglect?
You do not want a 4yo TB feeling enthusiastic about life and full of beans!

Coco’s Dad

Visit site
I have a TB ex racer who can get fat on haylage and grass and he is working. If Coco must have a bucket to stop him stressing at feed time, I'd give some sort of chopped grass like Readigrass and some Speedibeet in very minimal quantities. Maybe leave a couple of sliced carrots for him if you're not giving the feeds out. Why do some people love to feed and feel that giving no bucket stuff is criminal neglect?
You do not want a 4yo TB feeling enthusiastic about life and full of beans!
We have decided on a just grass chaff, just so he has something, staying away from molasses and alfalfa as heard it’s not great for TB’s..

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Why on earth didn't the silly woman just say that she would like you to get some grass chaff so that she can give him a bucket feed at the same time as the others? I must say that qualifying for HOYS does not mean that an owner/producer is good at feeding horses - just look at the number of over-weight show horses there are around..

LilyB92

Visit site
Best thing I ever did for my girl was get a equine nutritionist! I did an online consultation and it has made a HUGE difference

Visit site
Best thing I ever did for my girl was get a equine nutritionist! I did an online consultation and it has made a HUGE difference

This is a new horse, to a new young owner.

OP, no need to get an equine nutritionist. Feed only for what you need. Grass chaff just to keep Coco happy whilst others are fed is enough.you can look to add a basic vitamins and mineral supplement further down the line if needed.

LilyB92

Visit site
This is a new horse, to a new young owner.

OP, no need to get an equine nutritionist. Feed only for what you need. Grass chaff just to keep Coco happy whilst others are fed is enough.you can look to add a basic vitamins and mineral supplement further down the line if needed.
I was unaware of the background but just gave my opinion based on having a young TB :) Best of luck!

sunleychops

Visit site
I'd be feeding a youngstock balancer such as Suregrow to ensure he is getting plenty of high quality protein in a non heating way, Mix this with something like Alfa A Oil or Performance Fibre to provide extra fibre. If condition was needed i would be adding something ike Equijewel or Build & Glow to provide plenty of oil for slow release, non heating calories.

Nothing in there to hot him up, ad lib hay to go with it and you can't go far wrong.

Lots of people will try and complicate things for you with a little bit of this and a little bit of that but, the reality is, feeding a horse is really simple in reality, It only gets complicated when people choose to complicate it or you are dealing with clinical issues.

P.forpony

Visit site
Welcome to the world of horse feed CD!
I'm sure you can now see it's a bit of a controversial topic, usually because every horse is different so when the owners find something out of the millions of available products that works well they swear by it.
But what works for one might send another loopy or fat etc

Rather than reccomend a specific product for a young and generally healthy horse the best thing I'd say is start with as little as possible and make any changes slowly and only if necessary.
As long as he is getting sufficient forage and his nutritional needs of vitamins and minerals are met, that's enough for now.

If things change eg he looses or gains weight, he has too much or not enough energy, his hooves aren't the best etc then you know what you are trying to achieve with changes in his feeds and that's a much easier specific question to answer.

If you are looking for more detailed answers try ringing some feed companies helplines. Just remember that most will encourage you to buy their products, but as long as you have an objective head on they usually offer good sensible advice tailored to your own horse and circumstances for free.

Best of luck!

Coco’s Dad

Visit site
Thanks everyone, he’s settled in amazing, although his stable manners are lacking at times, particularly with my daughter, but amazing when they ride.
So we have him on MVF high fibre lite chaff, with a cup of a cooling mix twice a day, mostly so he’s feeling part of the gang (only one that wasn’t getting fed).
He loves his food and hay will be his main source of intake.
The learning curve gets less steep everyday, thinking of sending my daughter on the Parelli course, I’ve heard good things!
Thanks again CD..

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Parelli. Search on here. You'll find threads about a blind arab that was awful, the Catwalk incident, the horses dying from dehydration and so on and so on... Having a huge ego and a brilliant propaganda machine does not make someone a good horse trainer.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Thanks everyone, he’s settled in amazing, although his stable manners are lacking at times, particularly with my daughter, but amazing when they ride.
So we have him on MVF high fibre lite chaff, with a cup of a cooling mix twice a day, mostly so he’s feeling part of the gang (only one that wasn’t getting fed).
He loves his food and hay will be his main source of intake.
The learning curve gets less steep everyday, thinking of sending my daughter on the Parelli course, I’ve heard good things!
Thanks again CD..

Please, please, please dont do this. If you are interested in that sort of thing if you an give a general area people will be able to recommend a good natural horsemanship instructor to come out to you.

Coco’s Dad

Visit site
Please, please, please dont do this. If you are interested in that sort of thing if you an give a general area people will be able to recommend a good natural horsemanship instructor to come out to you.
I don’t think I will now lol, sounds like it’s a bad idea ??‍♂️ We are in Swindon Wiltshire.. ??

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'd be feeding a youngstock balancer such as Suregrow to ensure he is getting plenty of high quality protein in a non heating way, Mix this with something like Alfa A Oil or Performance Fibre to provide extra fibre. If condition was needed i would be adding something ike Equijewel or Build & Glow to provide plenty of oil for slow release, non heating calories.

Nothing in there to hot him up, ad lib hay to go with it and you can't go far wrong.

Lots of people will try and complicate things for you with a little bit of this and a little bit of that but, the reality is, feeding a horse is really simple in reality, It only gets complicated when people choose to complicate it or you are dealing with clinical issues.

Alpha a oil can be like rocket fuel I can't feed it to my Arabs it sends them nuts so I think I would be careful giving it to a TB that was new to me.