Thorowgood T4 & T6 range.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I am looking for a new saddle and the Thorowgood T4 and T6 (especially!) have caught my eye.
Does anyone have either? What are your thoughts? Would you recommend one? etc.
How much adjustment does it allow for, ie can you go from med to wide or is it med wid to wide?
Also does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere that sells either of there at a decent price?
Thanks

MrsElle

Visit site
I have a Thorowgood T4 and love it. It is the comfiest saddle I have ever had. Haven't had to change the gullet as yet so unsure as to how easy it is.

I got mine off ebay, brand new with stirrups, leather and girth for £180
smile.gif

Piccy

Visit site
I have the GP T6 and the Dressage T6 I love them both very good fit for both me and the horses, Fish system is easy to change/adjust one of them I have had over two years and it looks as good as new, wouldnt change from them unless I had to for the horses comfort

eahotson

Visit site
I had a T6 made to measure for my last horse. Loved it!! Light,smart,comfortable and VERY easy to clean.The width is very easy to adjust with inserts.

sue_ellen

Visit site
I have the cob GP T4 3D with fish. Its a very good fit for my not too wide cob, and doesnt move about as a lot of saddles do on his type of shape. It was fitted by my saddler and it has not had to be adjusted for fit yet. I have a brown one and it looks very smart, is light and comfy. I am very pleased with mine. My saddler says she prefers them to wintecs as they seem to fit more horses.

kal40

Visit site
I have the T4 hi-wither for my WB. Its fab. He was v thin when I got him so this saddle has been worth its weight in gold. The gullet has been changed 3 times so far. Much cheaper than changing saddles.

I take mine to the local saddler and he changes the gullet for me. You have to buy the different coloured metal bits for the inside of the gullet. I think they are £15 each.

I do prefer a leather saddle but until he settles into his shape I wouldn't consider parting with my T4

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone.
My local saddlery do the T4 for £279.50 and the T6 for £459.00.
But have come across a T4 on ebay with saddle, girth, leathers, strirrups, and a seat saver for less. However it is a 18" wide. My horses current saddle is a 17.5, which is fine as he is pretty long but I may find it a little large (fine in the 17.5) and is a wide which is too big for him, but not by a lot.
Hmmm *ponders*.

Kenzo

Visit site
They are good saddles if they fit well, like any saddle of course, but don't be fooled by the whole alter the gullet and sticking fish in, sometimes it doesnt matter how well you alter it, some simply will not fit, after all there is more to fitting a saddle than a few adjustments in the width at the front.

Hard wearing, comfortable, easy to clean, great for jumping in (the newer T4) as they are more forward cut than the previous T4 so what out when buying, as some tack shops may have the older ones in (still brand new of course) but it depends if your more into schooling dressage then the other is better, if your wanting to junp, the newer style is better, specially if you put the knee and thigh blocks in. You can tell the difference because the knee roll on the outside of the saddle will have conture line (like a crease) where as the previous model don't.

If you go for a TG saddle please do make sure you have it checked by a saddle fitter (for all there worth
smirk.gif
) if you not sure on how a saddle should fit, rather just thing you can change it. The TG saddles tend to have a bit of a bannana tree and don't lie very well on some horses backs...again like another saddle.

What size are you looking for, I might be able to sort you out with a bargain
wink.gif

bushbaby28

Visit site
I have the T4 high wither. Got it for around £350? But yeh you can get it on ebay way cheaper.

I'm really not sure about mine though... I find it more like a jumping saddle than GP as uncomfortable to ride with long stirrups and find it hard to really have contact with the horse as the sides feel quite chunky... ie i think i'd prefer a dressage saddle
smile.gif

saying that, the fish inserts are great, it fits well and is comfortable!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Ah fantastic Kenzo, I was aiming for a dressage type saddle which is what he has now but he is now showing a lot of promise and enthusiasm for jumping so was considering selling his current saddle as I do not like it at all and it isn't the best fit to go towards one of these saddles.
I am first waiting to hear back from the saddlers where I saw the new saddles as to whether they still offer a fitting service.

17.5 probably a medium wide. As I said the wide is just a bit too big around his sides but fine everywhere else. But then again the difference between their wide and medium wide may be different to others.

Thanks really helpful!
smile.gif

ali87uk

Visit site
I have the cob T4 3d, which allows you to change the gullet to any size and also the girth strap position. my pony is wide so needs the balance strap at back to stop it rolling. cost me 349 new but def worth it!

JessPickle

Visit site
I have a T6 Dressage for Pickle. I got mine second hand for £190
smile.gif
it is amazing, sits really well on Pickle and is much comfier than my much more expensive GFS pro event!

This is mine on Pickle (he is pretty average shape and saddles are generally easy to fit)

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

D

Donkeymad

I really rate these saddles. The T4 from your saddler is cheap, but I can point you in the direction of a new T6 for £399 including postage. PM me if interested (not mine, I don't sell or even own any saddles!!)

3Beasties

Visit site
That Saddle looks so nice, it looks just like leather! I am thinking of getting a GP High wither one for Charlie as I am just not getting on with his leather one.

What size saddle have you got on Pickle?

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I have the T6 cob and its so comfy and is adjustable from medium to extra wide. I went for the flatter tree as my boy is quite flat and low withered. Currently got the xwide gullet in it but can then alter further with the fish. Can't fault the saddle. I got it from Hey Farm and they ordered it in and part exchanged my T4 in against it.

saddlesore

Visit site
I have the T6 3D GP and i love it! Very comfy and honestly does look like leather - pretty hard to tell the difference when you look at it. Very adjustable too
smile.gif

lauzbeefy

Visit site
I had the T6 jump saddle made to measure for Saf a couple of months ago and I love it. It is so smart and a million miles off the synthetic saddles i remember!!

When the saddler first came out he didnt think we'd find a sadlle cos Saf is so narrow with high withers but it fits beautifully.

From my experience so far I cannot speak highly enough of my saddle.

sandr

Visit site
I have a T4 cob, and i wouldn't have any other for him. He is an awkward large pony / cob / flat / round / short back shape, but this fits him like a glove. Hard wearing, looks nice, easy to clean, and you can pick bargain one up on eBay!