Those of you who ride other people's horses

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
A friend of mine and I were having a conversation recently about riding horses where you don't have ultimate control over the way they are kept. We've both owned horses but ended up riding other people's as well, or during gaps in horse ownership. I thought it would be interesting to hear how others manage.

If you share/ loan / exercise or school / compete or even perhaps livery other people's horses, how do you manage things like differences in the way you would feed, shoe, handle health concerns, turn out, rug, ride, use certain tack items etc? Are there certain things that would be a deal breaker for you? Do you find you can detach easily and keep your own very differently?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
There are 2 things to the question...

1. Does whatever they do differently compromise my safety?

2. Does whatever they do differently rub up against my ethics?

If that is all OK then I have no issue with whatever owners do. If one of those is compromised and can't be changed then I disengage and have nothing to do with them (unless it is bad enough to be a RSPCA job - in which case I would report and then keep my nose out).

Otherwise

Visit site
I might offer a suggestion if I feel it'll help but at the end of the day they own the horse so I follow their rules. If they have a rule I can't get behind, then I stop the arrangement. If you want complete control over a horse then you'd have to own it and look after it yourself. Working as a groom there's some stuff I'd be asked to do that I wouldn't do with my own, over-rugging in particular comes to mind, but you do what you're told to do or move somewhere else. As horses are individuals and their needs are individual I don't find it difficult to care or ride them differently, it would be worse if I was rigid and expected them all to be the same.

curiosity101

Visit site
I'd almost 100% agree with Red-1. Except I'd extend point 1 to be safety of me or the horse.

Pretty much I'm very easy going. It's not my horse so unless what's happening violates either of those rules then I'll do as they owner does. It's not to say I don't have my own ideas or opinions, I just largely keep them to myself when it comes to other people's horses.

HashRouge

Visit site
There are 2 things to the question...

1. Does whatever they do differently compromise my safety?

2. Does whatever they do differently rub up against my ethics?

If that is all OK then I have no issue with whatever owners do. If one of those is compromised and can't be changed then I disengage and have nothing to do with them (unless it is bad enough to be a RSPCA job - in which case I would report and then keep my nose out).

This is the same for me, pretty much. I've been sharing for the past 18 months. Most of that with the same horse, but darling T was sold 1 month ago and I am now riding another horse on the yard (who I keep calling T by accident :eek:). I don't necessarily agree with everything both sets of owners do/ did, but generally I just accept I can't change things.

redapple

Visit site
I part loan and have for a number of years with luckily generally very good owners. If it's just a difference of opinion then owners way rules, if it's safety or health then I'd say something but if nothing changes then your only option is to leave the loan imo. I'm not in a position to buy but I do find loaning a little stressful for this reason and worry a lot about 'what the owner would want/do'

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Really interesting replies, thank you all.

I think I usually take the same view as Red-1 but ethics can be very difficult sometimes.

For example, shoes left on too long and long gaps between seeing the farrier- if everything else is right, would that be a deal breaker? No lameness, just loose shoes and overgrown feet.

The other issue we discussed was companion ponies being overlooked- allowed to become too fat, feet not done, living conditions adjusted to suit the big horse without considering the impact on them.

Lastly, people who treat symptomatically and not to the cause; using calmers instead of addressing turn-out, treating thrush instead of drainage issues.

Any thoughts? Friend and I are going to meet up for wine to discuss- she is struggling.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
With the thrush, as long as the treatment is effective, it's a darned sight easier and cheaper than trying to drain a wet field, which is usually very expensive and often not particularly successful anyway.

I couldn't accept long shoeing intervals or the, use of calmers instead of work or turnout.

flying_high

Visit site
I bought becusse I wanted to control frequency of saddle checks, dentistry , Foot care, physio etc. I couldn’t ride share horse with sore feet / teeth / back etc

I’m really anal about these things. I have 2 sharers and both let me know if thing anything amiss with horses. We all communicate and act if something not right.

Some shares exist as owner lacking time / money / interest in horse. Some of those owners IME may be less keen to invest the time and money in maintaining and checking all the peripheral things. Then sharing tough.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Between University starting career and getting my own horse again I had several share horses. I have to say that I looked after them better than their owners.

One I had got kicked badly in the field whilst they were on holiday for two weeks. Vet out, daily antibiotic injections ,cold hosing twice a day etc. They came back, did absolutely nothing. Eventually turned out for a couple of weeks then got on it for the first time unclipped and played a game of horseball. I came up to find encrusted in dried sweat. That was the last straw for me amongst other stuff.

Another I kept saying to the owner the Horse wasn’t right but they wouldn’t get vet. Eventually gave up share and got my own again as sick of incompetent owners. That horse was later diagnosed with navicular.

It’s always a compromise but it’s really difficult if the horse is not being cared for like it should.

flying_high

Visit site
Between University starting career and getting my own horse again I had several share horses. I have to say that I looked after them better than their owners.

One I had got kicked badly in the field whilst they were on holiday for two weeks. Vet out, daily antibiotic injections ,cold hosing twice a day etc. They came back, did absolutely nothing. Eventually turned out for a couple of weeks then got on it for the first time unclipped and played a game of horseball. I came up to find encrusted in dried sweat. That was the last straw for me amongst other stuff.

Another I kept saying to the owner the Horse wasn’t right but they wouldn’t get vet. Eventually gave up share and got my own again as sick of incompetent owners. That horse was later diagnosed with navicular.

It’s always a compromise but it’s really difficult if the horse is not being cared for like it should.

That's when sharing really tricky, when the owner is losing time / interest / money / time of life for horse. And the sharer fills the gap, but the owner doesn't do their side. And the sharer gets very attached to the horse. Is a painful situation.

windand rain

Visit site
I am an owner who lets others ride to be honest I am open to any riding comments as I no longer ride so if they suspect something was wrong I would have it investigated. I am a 50 year owner so mostly have a good idea what is going on from the ground I have a few rules
1 they must have insurance,
2 never brush mane or tail (highlands who are shown)
3 must be very careful not to ride too hard on hard ground or the roads
4 tack should be clean and comfortable (i usually end up doing the cleaning and comfortable bit but would be cross if the ponies ended up sore because of laziness)

I dont think I am unreasonable they are kept on a low sugar low carb diet, are wormed and have feet/teeth done regularly will have vaccinaton done if competing although I usually only do the tetanus on the old ones every three years now. Live out 24/7 so no turnout problems and if being ridden are rugged appropriately (so dry) and can be clipped if in regular work

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

I think I usually take the same view as Red-1 but ethics can be very difficult sometimes.

For example, shoes left on too long and long gaps between seeing the farrier- if everything else is right, would that be a deal breaker? No lameness, just loose shoes and overgrown feet.

The other issue we discussed was companion ponies being overlooked- allowed to become too fat, feet not done, living conditions adjusted to suit the big horse without considering the impact on them.

Lastly, people who treat symptomatically and not to the cause; using calmers instead of addressing turn-out, treating thrush instead of drainage issues.

Any thoughts? Friend and I are going to meet up for wine to discuss- she is struggling.

I've abandoned arrangements where I've ridden other people's horses for reasons like this. Differences of opinion around management is one thing, instances where horses are not having their needs met would be deal breakers.

A friend of mine rode other people's horses for several years after losing her own. I really felt for her, she was a talented rider and have access to some nice horses but the owners really neglected their care - to the point of really bad shoeing, untreated lameness, psychological needs not met. She walked away in the end, initially she tried paying for the farrier etc but it was like pushing water uphill so she gave up.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
With the thrush, as long as the treatment is effective, it's a darned sight easier and cheaper than trying to drain a wet field, which is usually very expensive and often not particularly successful anyway.

t.

Sorry have to agree with this. Do I spend £10 on something to treat thrush or £infinity on draining a large clay field, which will get wet no matter what you do. No brainer.

I'll be honest I'm glad we don't have the companion horses any more (passed away of old age at 29) as I always knew they didn't get as much attention as the ridden horses. Yes they were fed, trimmed and looked after but didn't have the time spent on them, and I always felt guilty :eek:

coss

Visit site
I am generally with Red-1. If it's health that's at risk - that included danger to myself (ill mannered horses) or them (lack of care in some way -feet/rugging(over and under)/stabling etc) then walk away. Also can't cope with owners that mess with the horse's routine "to improve things", don't mention changes have been made then when I say the horse is playing up, more negative, only then mention the change in routine and not revert back.
However, if it's a short term project and there are just differences in how the horses are kept due to owner circumstances and horse history then that's fine. Everyone has their own routine and way of doing things and I'll go with the owner's way of doing it unless I feel it's detrimental, then walk away.
Thankfully haven't come across the cruelty case sorts.

Sorry have to agree with this. Do I spend £10 on something to treat thrush or £infinity on draining a large clay field, which will get wet no matter what you do. No brainer.

I'll be honest I'm glad we don't have the companion horses any more (passed away of old age at 29) as I always knew they didn't get as much attention as the ridden horses. Yes they were fed, trimmed and looked after but didn't have the time spent on them, and I always felt guilty :eek:

I have a retired pony - will only be 23 this year. He seems to LOVE being left to his own devices and only having the basics done. Went to brush him the other day and he just wandered off -would much rather eat. He's checked twice daily, fed/trimmed etc but he doesn't seem to miss the interaction. So some really don't mind (though there are those that do!)

Gallop_Away

Visit site
To be honest I'm of the opinion that when you are sharing another persons horse unless it causes a welfare issue, then what owner says goes!
I don't really think its a sharers place to decide how the horse is managed

LadyGascoyne

Visit site

I think the concern is more about all the horses having permanent year-round very smelly thrush and the boggy bits of the field not being fenced off or rested. They don't do any kind of rotation or grass management. Also the choice not to stable is made so that the horses don't need to be mucked out and only have to be checked once a day.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I've abandoned arrangements where I've ridden other people's horses for reasons like this. Differences of opinion around management is one thing, instances where horses are not having their needs met would be deal breakers.

A friend of mine rode other people's horses for several years after losing her own. I really felt for her, she was a talented rider and have access to some nice horses but the owners really neglected their care - to the point of really bad shoeing, untreated lameness, psychological needs not met. She walked away in the end, initially she tried paying for the farrier etc but it was like pushing water uphill so she gave up.

That's really tough for your friend. My friend is considering handing in her notice but the owner lives abroad and she is naturally worried about what will happen to the horses. It's horrible when you feel emotionally responsible but you don't have control over improving the situation.

Gallop_Away

Visit site

I think this does create a wellfare issue, and your concern would be understandable.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
To be honest I'm of the opinion that when you are sharing another persons horse unless it causes a welfare issue, then what owner says goes!
I don't really think its a sharers place to decide how the horse is managed

Agreed, but my query was more around how people deal with it personally as that as it is not always going to be an easy thing to handle.

If an owner is doing things that you would consider to be detrimental to the horse or worrying, but not at the level of a welfare issue, then how do people usually handle it?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think this does create a wellfare issue, and your concern would be understandable.

Haha, cross posted 😊

The shoes one is probably the one I'd worry about the most. Some people genuinely are ok with leaving horses much longer than I would between new sets. Horse isn't technically suffering, I suppose but I wouldn't consider riding like that.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Agreed, but my query was more around how people deal with it personally as that as it is not always going to be an easy thing to handle.

If an owner is doing things that you would consider to be detrimental to the horse or worrying, but not at the level of a welfare issue, then how do people usually handle it?

It’s fairly easy to tell from early conversations and just by looking at a horse what type of management they have. I’d only get involved with someone else’s horses if I was confident that basic stable management and attitudes were reasonably in line with my own.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I used to ride a horse for a good friend, in general we are quite similar in our management, we both want what is best for the horses, but my friend isn't emotionally attached to her's. She had this horse who I really fell for but she could be very difficult and opinionated. One day the horse was being bolshy and horrid but so was the owner! I got on a nuclear war head! :D Anyway, I rode her in the school and spent about 20mins walking, asking her to listen and pay attention and got off with a huge grin as she'd tuned into me without going nuclear! I got her back to the stable and said how nicely she'd gone and how pleased I was, and the mare got yanked in the gob, hauled around and shouted at :( that was the last time I rode her as I was gutted for her, she didn't deserve that. My friend knows I think she can be hard on her horses so telling her again wasn't needed, I just walked away

Gallop_Away

Visit site

Haha, cross posted 😊

The shoes one is probably the one I'd worry about the most. Some people genuinely are ok with leaving horses much longer than I would between new sets. Horse isn't technically suffering, I suppose but I wouldn't consider riding like that.

Its a difficult one. I think in this case I would approach the owner first and let them know horse has loose shoes. Of nothing is done then sadly I think the only option is to walk away :(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
That's really tough for your friend. My friend is considering handing in her notice but the owner lives abroad and she is naturally worried about what will happen to the horses. It's horrible when you feel emotionally responsible but you don't have control over improving the situation.

I think you either have to steel yourself to the view that you can't save them all and walk away to save your own sanity, or if concerns are great enough either ask welfare organisations for support OR approach the owner to sell the horse. :( not easy.

whizzer

Visit site
I’m in this situation currently having lost 2 in quick succession ,I’m having a break from my own(& need to save up for a new one!)Luckily I’ve got a lovely horse to ride a couple of days a week,there’s lots of things I’d do differently but I like the people & the horse a lot so I just suck it up & get on with it as don’t want to ruffle feathers. Quite difficult at 1st as I’ve not been without my own for 20yrs but I’m getting used to it now & actually quite enjoying having a break for a bit tbh & appreciate the lovely horse that I get to ride with no strings attached.

SpringArising

Visit site
I stay in my own lane!

I ride a couple of different friends' horses as well as my own.

One gets a feed when it really doesn't need it. One has a single jointed snaffle, which I hate. One wears a martingale and I don't think it should. And so on and so forth.

Unless the horse is being physically harmed, it's none of my business.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm both a sharer and a sharee (it's complicated!) Share horse's owner and I have been best friends since we were kids. We've shared looking after each others' horses since we were 15 and and I've shared M for about 10 years so we can have more frank conversations maybe than normal sharers.

I've always thought she doesn't feed him enough in winter (not badly, he's far from a welfare case! He has ad lib haylage, I just give him a full scoop of mix and she gives him 1/2) and try to gently encourage her to give him some more. This winter more than any other he's lost quite a bit of weight (he's now 22) so she's starting to come round to my way of thinking. I always give him what I think he should have when I feed him (2-3 nights a week -she knows this) and she gives him what she thinks - it's not a huge difference and both are actually well below the manufacturer's recommendations but it would add up over time I'm sure.

My sharer has never owned a horse before so just accepts what I tell her.

Generally though if the horse's welfare or my safety isn't at risk, I can let things go, likewise if my sharer had a real problem with something and talked to me about it, I'd listen and see if we could work out a compromise. Clarity, communication and flexibility are key.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
A friend of mine and I were having a conversation recently about riding horses where you don't have ultimate control over the way they are kept. We've both owned horses but ended up riding other people's as well, or during gaps in horse ownership. I thought it would be interesting to hear how others manage.

If you share/ loan / exercise or school / compete or even perhaps livery other people's horses, how do you manage things like differences in the way you would feed, shoe, handle health concerns, turn out, rug, ride, use certain tack items etc? Are there certain things that would be a deal breaker for you? Do you find you can detach easily and keep your own very differently?

I ride, and have ridden, a lot of other peoples horses, and I always respect the way the owner wants to keep them. Its their horse, I'm just paid to ride it..... but if I thought the way they were managing the horse compromised its way of going for me I would mention it.

AussieClumper

Visit site
I am just about to enter into a sharing agreement with my neighbour who is inbetween horses at the moment. She will ride my WB mare 2-3 times a week. I consider her a more proficient rider than me, so any suggestions she has in relation to the way the horse is ridden, including tack changes/suggestions I will take on board willingly. In fact I'm quite looking forward to having my horse trained on by someone with more experience than me!

I'd also be open to suggestions she has regarding the way the horse is kept, but I'd perhaps be a bit offended if she suggested my horse was unhealthy in any way. It's a pride thing I guess. I really go all out to ensure my horses are fit and healthy, fed appropriately for their workloads and regularly see a farrier, vet if required, wormed, dentist check etc. Having said that, if she picked up on something that wasn't right with the horse and I ignored it to the detriment of the horse I'd be appalled at myself, hurt pride or not!

I am hoping that we can just communicate fairly openly with each other without offending or upsetting each other. We'll see!