Those that remember the Connie being tested for HWSD that probably wasn't a Connie....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
*geek incoming just with general info :)
All fjords are DD (homozygous dun)
The pics of her ears so far (and general coat colour) don't really suggest dun going on.
But if she has a stripe (which prob doesn't go through the tail) she may well be nd1 - which adds primitive markings, but doesn't dilute coat but more recently been suspected to cause the lighter ear fluff on blacks that people previously thought indicated the presence of the cream gene (smoky black) even though it doesn't affect black pigment ;)

I think on your older pics she is palo with sooty which is limited to mane, but what I'm curious about/what throws me is her muzzle and eye skin colour being quite so solid and dark grey and her head being quite so 'peachy'.

BBP

Visit site
The pics of her ears so far (and general coat colour) don't really suggest dun going on.
But if she has a stripe (which prob doesn't go through the tail) she may well be nd1 - which adds primitive markings, but doesn't dilute coat but more recently been suspected to cause the lighter ear fluff on blacks that people previously thought indicated the presence of the cream gene (smoky black) even though it doesn't affect black pigment ;)

I think on your older pics she is palo with sooty which is limited to mane, but what I'm curious about/what throws me is her muzzle and eye skin colour being quite so solid and dark grey and her head being quite so 'peachy'.
Does nd1 exist in breeds that don’t have dun? So like with Connemaras that don’t carry dun, can they still have nd1? (Not relevant to this pony but trying to improve my colour geek skills!)

JJS

Visit site

The other option I’m seeing is Haflinger-style chestnut (i.e chestnut with pangare). She’s the exact same shade as the three Haffies I know, but the grey mane makes me think there must be sooty at work too ? She’s definitely a strange one. I’d love to see her colour tested!

Peglo

Visit site
My old haffie has a decent amount of grey in her mane but nothing quite like hers. Her ginger eye lashes and black muzzle is quite like my new haffie. Both my two are a darker chestnut though. Very pretty whatever she is. Hope your having loads of fun so far!

Stenners

Visit site
Here she is! So the top photo was just after I got her. The bottom photo was taken just after Xmas. Fully clipped out and looking a bit too lean. The last photo was taken last week.... now looking really good!

For the eagle eyes of you that notice the white patches by her withers.... this is from the saddle she came with that never fitted her - I was absolutely gutted when I saw them on clipping a couple of clips back. A couple of saddlers have told me they should go with a coat change and they have gone a little bit already so fingers crossed they all go!

The other white patches are just part of her colouring!

Attachments

• Goldie2.jpg
    Goldie2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Goldie1.jpg
    Goldie1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 206

[153312]

Visit site
It would be interesting to test her and see if she's flaxen chestnut or sooty palomino with or without nd1. I'm thinking flaxen chestnut + nd1 but wouldn't lay money on it lol!!! She's really, really seriously lovely!

SEL

Visit site
I've got a friend with a fjord X dales with fairly similar colouring but I'm now going to bob over to FB to see what mane colour her mare has - yours is really unusual!

Hobo2

Visit site

interesting about fjords being DD because I bred my golden dun to a Fjord and offspring showed no dun that I can see. what do you think?
A070AB61-7799-497A-A7D2-EE1FF265DB4C.jpegAE1F5DDC-E464-4E71-931A-57AEA71565A3.jpeg

Stenners

Visit site
It would be interesting to test her and see if she's flaxen chestnut or sooty palomino with or without nd1. I'm thinking flaxen chestnut + nd1 but wouldn't lay money on it lol!!! She's really, really seriously lovely!
Ah thank you! How would I even test her?!

[153312]

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
OP are you on Fb? I’d be curious to see what some of the more experienced colour genetic people would say about her as she still keeps me pondering! Happy to post on your behalf :)

Stenners

Visit site
Find Tests | Veterinary Genetics Laboratory (ucdavis.edu)

Equine Genetic Testing Services | Animal Genetics UK

Those are two of the best ones....I personally use VGL but either will do. You have to buy tests, get sent a kit, send a mane hair sample off with root bulbs still attached then wait for results :) It's really easy to do!

As a starter I'd get Extension, Agouti, and cream tested.
Ah thank you! I used Animal Genetics when they sold her to me as a Connie and I got her tested for HWSD!