Those who don’t insure

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We don't insure, since we were asked to jump through a million hoops when we tried to claim for loss of horse after emergency pts, or rather asked why we hadn't jumped throughthose hoops while the horse was still alive. Decided it just wasn't worth it.
However I don't think that deciding to self-insure in the middle of a claim is a brilliant idea, unless you have just come into money.
No, agree, that would be ridiculous, It’s just a hypothetical question, due to having problems atm with a claim. I have recently paid another years worth of premiums so I’m covered until well after this existing claim time is up anyway but after all this wonder if I can go down an alternate route in the future.

Tarragon

Visit site
I don't insure, it's less of a thing here in Ireland and vet fees are, not unconnectedly, a lot less than in UK. I pay routine and emergency costs as they occur, but I also have a definite limit beyond which the horse will be put down. The same goes for all other animals on the farm.
This is my view point as well. I haven't been put to the test regarding how much would I be prepared to pay (said the owner of hardy and tough little Exmoor ponies) so I actually don't know what I would do if faced with it.

Polos Mum

Visit site
One slightly middle ground is to insure but with a really high excess.

In the past I've insured with £1k excess - that covers most cuts and a stitch up, basic stuff. But piece of mind for anything requiring surgery.
It bought the premium down a lot and isn't always offered without speaking to them.

I have them at home so 12 months Dr Green to sort out niggly things is my option before I burn £5k on MRI's to be told they still need 12 months in the field.
We have a huge range of expensive diagnostics which is what puts prices up for insurance.
But we don't really have lots more things we can do once we know what the problem is. Rest or PTS often are the two choices, there's not that much in between.

suestowford

Visit site
Tiddlypom makes a good point about exclusions.
I think if I wanted vet bill insurance on either of the ponies here, they'd not be covered for much as one has Cushings, both have had colic, so neither of those things would be covered.