Thought I'd heard it all with crossbreeds but .........

Smitty

Visit site
Totally and utterly astonished. Never heard anything like it in my life. Too bizzare for me to comprehend. Just amazed anyone would find it acceptable to hand over their pet dog for 10 weeks or so FOUR times?, presumably twice a year for a couple of years, to people who are to all intents and purposes, strangers, in order for them to exploit it as a breeding machine. Wow.

Poor dog having its life in the hands of these particular people.

satinbaze

Visit site
Our first CKCS was on breeding terms. One litter and the original breeder had one puppy back, the rest of the litter was ours to keep/sell. Our vet at the time offered to spay for "medical reasons" before the second season as he didn't believe in breeding terms. We did have the litter and then Portia was spayed.

marmalade76

Visit site
Actually in my experience you breed a cocker to a poodle then breed the bitches from that litter to the same poodle then the daughters of that litter to their dad and granddad and so on ad infinitum until both the bitch line and dog line is so closely related you are simply breeding the same dog over and over with all the incestuous problems of close gene proximity (forgotten the relevant name) the number becomes 1 its not supposed to be lower than 16

So much for cross breeds being "healthier".

misst

Visit site
When I approached my vet when I was looking for a new JRT (on the off chance they knew a litter coming up) he said to look out for this. He also said he didn't believe the actuall agreements were legally binding if pushed. He has a few dogs on the books of different breeds who have been sold in this way and he said he was prepared to speak against the practice in court if need be.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Middle class (or maybe not...) puppy farms. It’s even popping up in ‘pet bred’ gun dog breeds near here.

Sadly been going for decades. 'Show' GSP breeder now into Braccos....notorious...bitch whelping puppies in the back of a car in the ferry over from Ireland after having done the Munster circuit? :(

Last edited:

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I keep coming back to this thread too in disbelief. What does the buyer think they are getting out of this? They're not even getting the bitch for less than “market rate”.

You’d have to pry Mabel out of OH’s cold
dead hands before he handed her back to essentially a stranger.

He always liked the idea of having a litter from Mabel (bless him he worries that by spaying her first we are curbing an innate need to breed... I have squashed that dream), but since seeing me struggle with morning sickness, my body completely changing, being in tears rolling over during the night due to my hips being agony, he’s changed his tune re Mabel going through the same.

Yet he’s still banging on about us having 2 more, nice to know he wouldn’t put Mabel through it but happy for me to do it again!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I keep coming back to this thread too in disbelief. What does the buyer think they are getting out of this? They're not even getting the bitch for less than “market rate”.

He always liked the idea of having a litter from Mabel (bless him he worries that by spaying her first we are curbing an innate need to breed... I have squashed that dream), but since seeing me struggle with morning sickness, my body completely changing, being in tears rolling over during the night due to my hips being agony, he’s changed his tune re Mabel going through the same.

Yet he’s still banging on about us having 2 more, nice to know he wouldn’t put Mabel through it but happy for me to do it again!

Is it wrong to want to howl with laughter about this post ObaC?

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Men eh that really made me laugh sorry:)

Annette4

Visit site
There is at least one flyball person I'm aware of with a 'breeding programme' who tries to retain breeding rights for 'their' dogs. I just don't understand it, then again they were also putting 4 month old puppies on a lure recently and they start training them as tiny babies rather than letting them grow up and be babies.