Thought on whips?

Pale Rider

Visit site
All horses are different but I have yet to see a horse that did not benefit being ridden in a lighter way.

I have been in that situation and I saw the fault in myself and as an indication that I needed to improve my riding, not that I needed to whip the horse or give it a big kick.

I personally just see it as an indication of stupidity and obviously upbringing if somebody is aggressive verbally or physically towards other adults, children, animals etc they have control and anger issues which are being subjected onto other beings. If they took a step back and really thought about what they are doing and why they might see themselves different and realise that they are the problem, not everything else. :(

I guess if the individual sees a horse as a dumb 1000lb animal that needs to be controlled then they will carry on with those methods.

If they see a horse that is not wanting to move as lazy and stubborn then they will carry on with those methods.

If they see a horse is being flighty and uncontrollable, then yes they will carry on with their methods.

I have to say I agree with this.

I don't find horses a problem, but trying to get people to understand how it all works is a nightmare.

TrasaM

Visit site
Since this discussion has been running I've been taking more notice of who,amongst the group of friends i ride with, uses their whips when they ride, and why. Most of the slaps issued are for slight spooks and not wanting to walk past various scary things. I think people do not really think that it's something to worry about and that is the only way to get the horse to go past these things. Both the horses I ride, both shares, walk on if I relax, breath then ask them to move on and praise when they do. I also talk to them both a lot :) today i had a comment about why my horses ears were back and I said because he's listening to me. Well he's the only one who does :D

Tinypony

Visit site
Today I was riding and singing. Thankfully I didn't see a soul!
Agreed, sometimes it seems that a "slap" is the first option, possibly showing a certain lack of imagination and feel for the horse?

thehorsephotographer

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Since this discussion has been running I've been taking more notice of who,amongst the group of friends i ride with, uses their whips when they ride, and why. Most of the slaps issued are for slight spooks and not wanting to walk past various scary things. I think people do not really think that it's something to worry about and that is the only way to get the horse to go past these things. Both the horses I ride, both shares, walk on if I relax, breath then ask them to move on and praise when they do. I also talk to them both a lot :) today i had a comment about why my horses ears were back and I said because he's listening to me. Well he's the only one who does :D

This has been my observations too.