** thoughts on Andalusian horses **

Fun Times

Visit site
Best advice I can think of is to seek a horse that is physically and mentally sound and able to do the job you want. Given the problems I am encountering finding something that simply fulfils these criteria, I would stay away from setting restrictions as to specific breed or gender in order to maximise the chance of successfully finding something. You will be amazed how much crud is out there, even if you have a decent budget.

Visit site
School exams aren't for another two years and I understand about the whole boys things but I'm not really that eligible for a boyfriend anytime soon lol I'm not really part of the 'popular crowd' I understand what you are saying tho. I want to be a riding instructor so my life will always be geared around horses.

no offence but I am 15 and you CANNOT start working in the year of your GCSEs. You have to start working hard a long time before that which doesn't leave much time at all, so it's not much use saying 'exams aren't for another two years' because the hard work starts a long time before that, for me it was when I chose my options. (end of y9/start of y10).
You want the easiest horse possible really to fit in easily around school.

Alexrouse1

Visit site
no offence but I am 15 and you CANNOT start working in the year of your GCSEs. You have to start working hard a long time before that which doesn't leave much time at all, so it's not much use saying 'exams aren't for another two years' because the hard work starts a long time before that, for me it was when I chose my options. (end of y9/start of y10).
You want the easiest horse possible really to fit in easily around school.
Look I only started this thread because I wanted pros and cons about owning a PRE stallion OR gelding. And all people are doing is saying don't buy one but that's not what I'm looking for I just wanted some pros and cons. It's been my life long dream to own one so either tell me about the breed or don't put anything on this thread, I'm not looking to be judged by people I don't know. I just wanted information, is that too hard to ask for... jeez

AdorableAlice

Visit site
For those of you who do have experience and knowledge of the breed I have a question, ( I am not interested in teenagers wanting to look flashy in the collecting ring so no comment from me on that).

Do the breeders in Spain and Portugal keep the best stock and sell the rest abroad ? I ask because all the horses I have seen have such abysmal movement and limb formation. There is nothing attractive let alone correct about a horse that dishes wildly and loads its limbs incorrectly, has a heavily loaded forehand and gullets the thickness of a rhino. I can't see that horses made this way would meet a breed standard ?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
For those of you who do have experience and knowledge of the breed I have a question, ( I am not interested in teenagers wanting to look flashy in the collecting ring so no comment from me on that).

Do the breeders in Spain and Portugal keep the best stock and sell the rest abroad ? I ask because all the horses I have seen have such abysmal movement and limb formation. There is nothing attractive let alone correct about a horse that dishes wildly and loads its limbs incorrectly, has a heavily loaded forehand and gullets the thickness of a rhino. I can't see that horses made this way would meet a breed standard ?

Do you know for sure all the ones you've seen are imports?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Do you know for sure all the ones you've seen are imports?

Not a clue, do we breed them in UK with conformation and movement problems ? There is one up the lane from us that dishes so badly it would trip its leader up on the way to the paddock ! that is an import.

I suppose what I am asking is- is the breed standard a straight moving correct horse regardless of where it is bred ? and are all the wonky donkeys just a poor example of a normally correct horse ?

TheMule

Visit site
Not a clue, do we breed them in UK with conformation and movement problems ? There is one up the lane from us that dishes so badly it would trip its leader up on the way to the paddock ! that is an import.

I suppose what I am asking is- is the breed standard a straight moving correct horse regardless of where it is bred ? and are all the wonky donkeys just a poor example of a normally correct horse ?

The breed standard regards dishing as a fault. They vary as much in quality as any other breed, and many people have imported from the lower end of the pile, partly due to cost (a good PRE or luso commands decent money) and partly due to a lack of critical judgement. However, there are also some seriously quality Iberians in this country who have the expression in the movement but also move straight.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The breed standard regards dishing as a fault. They vary as much in quality as any other breed, and many people have imported from the lower end of the pile, partly due to cost (a good PRE or luso commands decent money) and partly due to a lack of critical judgement. However, there are also some seriously quality Iberians in this country who have the expression in the movement but also move straight.

Thank you, is there any reason, certain lines perhaps, that give them the tendency to move so badly ?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Thank you, is there any reason, certain lines perhaps, that give them the tendency to move so badly ?

Centuries ago, it was fashionable to have the dishing, as it was considered a trait of the kings horses but like any fashion, if used in breeding it can quickly go wrong. There is also what was considered "correct" dishing (from the fetlock with hoof landing straight) but I've also seen some that dish from the knee which is "incorrect". However, dishing was added as a fault to the grading this year. That's not to say that dishing was considered ok for the last few decades. The best breeders in Spain, UK and US have been trying to breed it out for much longer. You always get a throwback once in a while - that's just how genes work. There's not necessarily certain "lines" as such but some think there are attributes tracing back to certain breeders centuries ago - however, since mares and stallions were selected from all over Spain, it's hard to say.

It's a pity that so many people go abroad without doing their research first. Equally many do and bring back some beauties! There are very nice horses bred here in the UK, many go on to compete at SICAB in Spain and that is against the very best of the Spanish stock. There's not much point in breeding bad horses deliberately. Every breeder want's to see their horses do well. It's true, you might not find quality youngster for less than around £4k in this country... but I think that's about the going rate in Spain too. Once they've started under saddle it's usually around £7k then once proven, well I only ever see £POA.

If you want to see some nice horses have a look:

https://gbpre.co.uk/
http://www.bapsh.co.uk/ (PIO)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
It's been my life long dream to own one so either tell me about the breed or don't put anything on this thread, I'm not looking to be judged by people I don't know. I just wanted information, is that too hard to ask for... jeez

Life long dream aged 13 :D

Are you Veruca Salt?

Hallo2012

Visit site
My attitude doesn't stink - the only stallion I've tried to ride/work my horses around was a complete *******, made doing anything with my girls impossible, the owner specifically requested that i stop lunging so she could ride past(!), in fairness I think it was young but rider could not control it properly, and if OP is really 13 surely they won't be able to either? Particularly a big fit dressage stallion??

right. so the one mare that kicks everything when in seasons means that ALL mares will kick does it?

what a bizarre attitude.......................

and how did it make it impossible to work your mare? because she was distracted? thats where training comes in :) i think you need to go to a few studs and educate yourself as it sounds like your one stallion experience was with a badly trained one......

Abi90

Visit site
I used to handle big fit dressage stallions at the age of 14 without a problem. This is because their owner had taught them manners. They got a bit vocal around mares but never put a hoof out of line.

Lexi_

Visit site
Look I only started this thread because I wanted pros and cons about owning a PRE stallion OR gelding. And all people are doing is saying don't buy one but that's not what I'm looking for I just wanted some pros and cons. It's been my life long dream to own one so either tell me about the breed or don't put anything on this thread, I'm not looking to be judged by people I don't know. I just wanted information, is that too hard to ask for... jeez

I'm not sure you understand what a con is...

If you only wanted a list of pros, this is probably the wrong place. You've had lots of useful feedback from very experienced people. Don't get stroppy because it's not what you wanted to hear.

tristar

Visit site
i had a stallion when i was very young, BUT they are all different, the present one is far hotter than the one i had then.

we have a horse here whose sire was many times british national champion on movement at the bapsh show, and on progeny, he returned to spain 10 years ago for breeding, everything he bred moves straight....... terry lines.

Seville

Visit site
i had a stallion when i was very young, BUT they are all different, the present one is far hotter than the one i had then.

we have a horse here whose sire was many times british national champion on movement at the bapsh show, and on progeny, he returned to spain 10 years ago for breeding, everything he bred moves straight....... terry lines.

OK...I am about to be accused of bullying a 13 year old. I have tried to talk sense to her PM.
Alexrouse, you PMd me, and I answered you as fully as I could, three times. You know EXACTLY what I think about what you are doing with a four year old mare, and I advised you not to make it public here, and to ease up on what is happening. You say two vets cleared her for doing this...yeah ok....her mental health and physical stresses are not accounted for. You need to stop it. I also advised, in the strongest possible terms, that you learn as much as you can, sit in with "your trainer" on others lessons as much as you can, and to get experience.
Just how often do you have lessons? Not very, I got the impression.
You said "I will be starting at elem". Young lady, you haven't even ridden a prelim yet. Pro riders, and very very experienced non pro riders can produce a youngster, carefully, and over time, to debut at elem. At 13, and not even ridden a prelim yet, you cannot. Plus you are just not willing to learn. You are so certain, with all the usual arrogance of a 13 year old, that you know best. I have said please do not put the expense of a horse you do not need and will not be able to ride on to your parents. You want to "buy results", and think if you prance into the warmup on a flashy Spaniard that you will win. If you manage to persuade bank of Mum and Dad to buy you this unfortunate PRE, it will end in utter disaster. Now I have said it publicly, please do not be so rude to posters who have advised you against it. They have reasons...they are all experienced, and want to protect a horse from this utter lunacy. They have advised with wisdom, though at 13 you wont see it. They also, believe it or not, have your well being and safety at heart.
Use this time in to learn, not to assume you know better than far more experienced riders/trainers/owners on this forum.
And please don't pressure your parents.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am surprised that people are getting so invested in what is so obviously a pipe dream. unless this girl's parents are massively loaded and daft, this is not going to happen is it?

Visit site
right. so the one mare that kicks everything when in seasons means that ALL mares will kick does it?

what a bizarre attitude.......................

and how did it make it impossible to work your mare? because she was distracted? thats where training comes in :) i think you need to go to a few studs and educate yourself as it sounds like your one stallion experience was with a badly trained one......

No I was asked to stop working her. I guess said stallion was badly trained, having youtube'd 'dressage stallions' :p

Hallo2012

Visit site
No I was asked to stop working her. I guess said stallion was badly trained, having youtube'd 'dressage stallions' :p

having just done the same i mostly find stallions shows, so VERY well behaved horses in big atmospheres so im unsure of your point?

surely you just either ignored her or rode at a different time/different arena? i just cannot see how ONE horse would make life so impossible? seems very odd to take this one horse and decide that all stallions will make life hell.............your mares are entire, just the same, but you happily work around other mares i presume?

i completely agree hysterical owners are a total PITA but you cant tar all horses with the same brush?

Nasicus

Visit site
You know EXACTLY what I think about what you are doing with a four year old mare, and I advised you not to make it public here, and to ease up on what is happening. You say two vets cleared her for doing this...yeah ok....her mental health and physical stresses are not accounted for. You need to stop it.
Interesting Seville, you've got me wondering what she's up to now.

abbijay

Visit site
My ideal horse is a PRE because when you walk into a warm up ring your horse doesn't look the same as the average warmblood. They have a certain presence when they are in a room, I love the way they move and always have done ( i have wanted a PRE Andalusian since I was about 3) I like how they have history about being cavalry horses and bullfighters. They are a breed of horse that beauty is not only skin deep in them they have beautiful minds and personalities as well, This is why I would love to have an Andalusian horse

I have a Clydesdale and, trust me, if you walk into a dressage warm up on one of those you will get a lot if comments. They have oodles of history and presence comes to them so naturally. They have nice sensible minds so will forgive you if you make a mistake in your riding but they are certainly not plods. Their fabulous attitude and work ethic will make them an excellent horse to start your dressage journey on and they can easily perform at the level you want to go out at. Mine is working easily Elementary and there are plenty out there who have gone far further. They are also designed to live in our climate so far fewer headaches than a PRE will give you.

Seville

Visit site
Interesting Seville, you've got me wondering what she's up to now.

Let's just hope her parents are neither loaded or gullible. She is utterly clueless. I make no apology for sounding grumpy. She pm'd me and I did my best to advise. She just wants to hear that she is right. The four year old is being asked too much, I will say no more at this point. I am cross, Nasicus, sorry!!!!!

Nasicus

Visit site
Let's just hope her parents are neither loaded or gullible. She is utterly clueless. I make no apology for sounding grumpy. She pm'd me and I did my best to advise. She just wants to hear that she is right. The four year old is being asked too much, I will say no more at this point. I am cross, Nasicus, sorry!!!!!

Grump away my friend, I completely understand!

Right well thank you everyone for your input and I will take it on and look for a more allround dressage horse instead of one breed.

That's sensible of you. Chances are, you'll find something out there that's the polar opposite of an Andalusian, but is the perfect match for you, and together with regular lessons from a good instructor, you can start learning Prelim. Who knows, it might be the hairiest of native types that catches your eye! A kind, plain horse is better than a difficult flashy horse any day, especially at your level :)