** thoughts on Andalusian horses **

tristar

Visit site
however the thread is interesting, thoughts on andalusian horses.

and i must say to come out at elementary is where i would start.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
if that didn't work we would recall our 'horse whisperer' and have 'bonding classes' between the {stallions}

I smell some very stinky goats! :D

Nasicus

Visit site
She said earlier in the thread that her parents were the least horsey people ever. A very odd situation all round

Another family member maybe? I'll admit I am struggling with the idea of a 13yo who hasn't even done prelim with 2 mares and a stallion (one of whom is a 4yo) with completely not horsey parents who own the facilities. But hey, what do I know, it's a strange world out there!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
however the thread is interesting, thoughts on andalusian horses.

and i must say to come out at elementary is where i would start.

As the first competitive dressage test you have ever ridden in your life?

tristar

Visit site
not being awkward , but my friends daughter at 9 years beat a lot of grown ups in showjumping and went on to international.

a girl on a local yard was only 13 when she beat all the instructors and adults in dressage on the local circuit, in classes of up to 50 competitors, on a 13 hand pony.

whoever or whatever op is, i must say having seen things myself personally, i would`nt say its a strange world rather its a wonderful world where things can and do happen to surprise and delight.

people have won olympic gold aged 22 years, nicole uphoff

while i understand no one wants op to come unstuck, its only a forum!

l

Casey76

Visit site
not being awkward , but my friends daughter at 9 years beat a lot of grown ups in showjumping and went on to international.

a girl on a local yard was only 13 when she beat all the instructors and adults in dressage on the local circuit, in classes of up to 50 competitors, on a 13 hand pony.

whoever or whatever op is, i must say having seen things myself personally, i would`nt say its a strange world rather its a wonderful world where things can and do happen to surprise and delight.

people have won olympic gold aged 22 years, nicole uphoff

while i understand no one wants op to come unstuck, its only a forum!

l

I agree that doing well even though young does happen - my ex-YMs son qualified for his first 1* event when he was 13 - it is much more difficult to debut at a decent level even if you are riding well at home. You can only *really* learn ring-craft by competing and getting that important feedback.

tristar

Visit site
elementary is the lowest form of comp worth bothering with as far as i am concerned, too many horses and riders spent too long drizzling around at novice level, elementary is the start of dressage, well it starts there for me.

ring craft can be learned in any arena, nerves and comp stress are down to the individual, some people never conquer it and for others it never exists to start with.

when i saw magali delgardo in france she was making her actual comp debut at grand prix she came 12th out of 25 and yes a few adjustments in ring awareness were needed.

Seville

Visit site
elementary is the lowest form of comp worth bothering with as far as i am concerned, too many horses and riders spent too long drizzling around at novice level, elementary is the start of dressage, well it starts there for me.

ring craft can be learned in any arena, nerves and comp stress are down to the individual, some people never conquer it and for others it never exists to start with.

when i saw magali delgardo in france she was making her actual comp debut at grand prix she came 12th out of 25 and yes a few adjustments in ring awareness were needed.

Some people NEED to start at the beginning. There is a real need for Prelim tests, and the example you quote is the exception rather than the rule, and if people are talented then, yes, they can make a debut higher up the levels. In this instance, with this poster, that's not the case. Assuming she told me the truth during PM. On the other hand she could be a 45 year old having a cheap laugh, who knows?
I don't think its fair to state too many horses "drizzle" round in prelim and novice. Its a huge deal to a lot of riders, and their "drizzling" prelim is like an Olympic achievement. I never belittle prelims, or novices, as there are many good horses to come through the levels like that.

Seville

Visit site

Some people NEED to start at the beginning. There is a real need for Prelim tests, and the example you quote is the exception rather than the rule, and if people are talented then, yes, they can make a debut higher up the levels. In this instance, with this poster, that's not the case. Assuming she told me the truth during PM. On the other hand she could be a 45 year old having a cheap laugh, who knows?
I don't think its fair to state too many horses "drizzle" round in prelim and novice. Its a huge deal to a lot of riders, and their "drizzling" prelim is like an Olympic achievement. I never belittle prelims, or novices, as there are many good horses to come through the levels like that.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I have a Clydesdale and, trust me, if you walk into a dressage warm up on one of those you will get a lot if comments.

They are also designed to live in our climate so far fewer headaches than a PRE will give you.

My Clyde x always turned heads - I do love that breed! :)

In defence of the PRE/PSL, actually they are terrific doers in most cases - most breeders I know have trouble keeping the weight off, not on. They are really hardy creatures. It's a shame the imports have given the Briitish breds a bad name :D. I spent more on vets with the big lad than I did on the "headaches".

Apercrumbie

Visit site
In defence of the PRE/PSL, actually they are terrific doers in most cases - most breeders I know have trouble keeping the weight off, not on. They are really hardy creatures.

I second this - ours was very easy to keep, as are others that I know. He had hooves like iron too, it sounds like this is unusual for the breed? They were certainly an appalling shape when he stepped off the ferry, but I never have been a fan of continental shoeing. After a year in the UK, he had beautiful hooves.

MDB

Visit site
I second this - ours was very easy to keep, as are others that I know. He had hooves like iron too, it sounds like this is unusual for the breed? They were certainly an appalling shape when he stepped off the ferry, but I never have been a fan of continental shoeing. After a year in the UK, he had beautiful hooves.

My PRE is a very good doer. She also has hooves as hard as nails and will go anywhere over any terrain.

Seville

Visit site
Mine also has feet of iron and has been barefoot since a month after his arrival here in UK. I micro manage mine, as we have wonderful grass and I won't risk laminitis. His weight is constant, he is on a sugar free diet, is the kindest horse I own, and I am so glad I went down into that remote valley in Spain.

tristar

Visit site
there s a sweet clydesdale mare for sale on donedeal ie recently broken 7 i think, not wishing to lead any c fans into temptation!

tallyho!

Visit site

Not unusual for the breed at all. From what I have seen and heard there seems to be two distinct types of feet for this particular breed: ones that tend to flatten out and ones that tend to go toe out... and the books have it that there were distinct types of the Iberians - hill dwelling ones and swamp dwelling ones - you can guess which traits belong where.... ;) and the people I know who own them generally do not shoe. Feet like stone (hill genetics fare better).

What tends to ruin feet, any feet, is diet. I have no idea why but some owners (even in Spain but then they have very little forage and grass) seem to think that these types must need lots of grain and this ruins their feet. It's true for most types and you see it in the tb because their genetics go back to barb, arabian, spanish so are unsuited to that diet but need the calories for their job. Thank goodness for shoes.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Minw was toe out as a youngster, and his feet go splat if he gets too much grass, I've just got his heels back! So is he a hill dweller?

tallyho!

Visit site
Minw was toe out as a youngster, and his feet go splat if he gets too much grass, I've just got his heels back! So is he a hill dweller?

I'm not sure as yours is pb, so could have other traits too... the purebreds generally tend to follow the type no matter what. If mine gets too much grass the toes just grow like the clappers and the heels do nothing.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm not sure as yours is pb, so could have other traits too... the purebreds generally tend to follow the type no matter what. If mine gets too much grass the toes just grow like the clappers and the heels do nothing.

Interesting. I've been wanting to do an update foot post, but don't know how to do it without paying for photobucket

tallyho!

Visit site
Interesting. I've been wanting to do an update foot post, but don't know how to do it without paying for photobucket

You don't have to.. if you have an image from fb lets say, click copy image on right click, then go to advanced reply then click insert image and paste the image code into the pop up... worked for me last time..

Leo Walker

Visit site
You dont even need to do that.

Right click and copy image address (or ipad users open in new tab and copy the info in the address bar)
Then type:

i]

Visit site
Look I only started this thread because I wanted pros and cons about owning a PRE stallion OR gelding. And all people are doing is saying don't buy one but that's not what I'm looking for I just wanted some pros and cons. It's been my life long dream to own one so either tell me about the breed or don't put anything on this thread, I'm not looking to be judged by people I don't know. I just wanted information, is that too hard to ask for... jeez

But you are now getting stressy because people haven't told you, 'sure they are lovely, get one' - despite the fact that you asked for pros AND cons. You seen to resent the fact that there are lots of knowledgeable adults on here, e.g. Seville, who are being honest and trying to help you, and as for you saying 'i just want information' well that is what they are attempting to give you, but I think their advice is falling on deaf ears.

Personally, I would listen to them; I know they know an awful lot more than me, and they most likely know more than you as well.

I mean it's been a 'life long dream' of mine to own an akhal teke but it's totally not practical with exams etc.

There was a coloured cob at the paralympics for christ' sake, breed is not important. Get something with a nice personality and manners and go from there, don't get hung up on breed and gender.