Thoughts on radios playing all day in yards

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Just interested in peoples views on this really.
Mine are that I think it's ok to have a radio playing while your mucking out etc but to leave it on all day while your not there to keep your horse amused is not good. I feel horses like a quiet calm yard and would think a radio playing all day would stress them out, would me all day every day

HollyB66

Visit site
Okay, radios on yards bring out the grumpy old woman in me :) I like the peace and quiet of 'nothing' whilst mucking out etc Luckily the lady in the stable next to me who used to have her Ipod blaring out has now gone - yippee :)

But that is just my opinion, no doubt others like them.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
There is someone at my yard that leaves her radio on all day for her horse, she even leaves it on at night!!
Well she doesn't because we go in there and turn it off as my friends horses stable is next to hers and she doesn't want her horse disturbed all night either!

But I agree with you and think it's fine when you're there and mucking out and stuff but all day would be annoying. They don't have radios on when they're out in a field do they?

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Legally not allowed to do it - UNLESS they have a performing rights licence!!! I turn my radio on on the yard when I am mucking out my horses - I own the place so it is personal use only not broadcast. But I never leave the radio on when I am not there.

Spit That Out

Visit site
I have a radio on while i muck out and while my horse was on box rest i left it on for him. His stable is away from where people walk and no horses are in during the day down his isle so the radio makes him feel like he has company.
I agree that loud radios, blearing out the local radio station are annoying...just the same as when the farrier has his van doors open and you can't even hear the furnace over the local DJ and Lady Gaa Gaa!!!
I wouldn't leave it on at night.
However if you can't hear your radio much further than your own stable then i don't see the harm...
I have mine tuned in to Radio 2...He likes the lunch time debates!!!!;)

Spit That Out

Visit site
Legally not allowed to do it - UNLESS they have a performing rights licence!!! I turn my radio on on the yard when I am mucking out my horses - I own the place so it is personal use only not broadcast. But I never leave the radio on when I am not there.

Only if your broadcasting to more than 12 people do you need a license...a horse, 2 yard cats and the mice don't count!!!

domane

Visit site
I read an article a while back about some research that had been carried out and it showed that horses that were kept in got more stressed when exposed to a radio being played all day.

Balibee

Visit site
I don't like loud music and radio is occasionally on low. But never all the time.

The only time a radio was left on during the day was when my horse was on box rest last summer. He was on his own duringthe day all day as others were out so I had a small radio playing constant classical music and it helped him. As soon as the others came in it was switched off :)

Trolt

Visit site
We have our radio on from 8am until about 6pm.
It's not loud and I doubt the horses find it any more annoying than the constant sound of the chickens and guinea fowl we have wondering around the yard

Ladyinred

Visit site
Okay, radios on yards bring out the grumpy old woman in me :) I like the peace and quiet of 'nothing' whilst mucking out etc Luckily the lady in the stable next to me who used to have her Ipod blaring out has now gone - yippee :)

But that is just my opinion, no doubt others like them.

This is me too!! I feel a huge sigh of relief and all the stress goes when they are finally switched off.

Yet I love music.. just not at the yard.

the watcher

Visit site
I have the local channel on the radio when I am mucking out,and when I was on a yard where the horses were kept in when the hunt was in the area we used to leave a radio playing Classic FM during the day. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Radio 1 is guaranteed to drive me to murderous rage, and would probably have the same effect on the horses.

JessPickle

Visit site
I always have music playing when I am around the horses :p If schooling Pickle on my own in school I find it helps me focus and concentrate when I have music on!

riding_high

Visit site
i don't like the radio being on as if it's a song others like then they normally sing really loud (and badly) and it just gets me flustered!
i like peace and quiet when i'm with the horses, it's my quiet time!

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
i don't like the radio being on as if it's a song others like then they normally sing really loud (and badly) and it just gets me flustered!
i like peace and quiet when i'm with the horses, it's my quiet time!

LOL It's when the people singing think they are good when there not ;)

Luckily it's only me at my yard so no-one to annoy other than my horses and as I pay for them they have no choice other than to put up with it :p

diggerbez

Visit site
i honestly couldn't care less! :eek: old yard it was on all day and then off at night, new yard no radio- apart from around bonfire night and then its on 24/7- i can't say that have noticed any difference in the horses' behaviour as a result of the radio or not... if i had my own yard would probably have something soothing like classical radio on for them

Dubsie

Visit site
Only if your broadcasting to more than 12 people do you need a license...a horse, 2 yard cats and the mice don't count!!!

That's rubbish! I run a company with one employee other than myself, and no means whatsoever for listening to music - no radio, not even any speakers on the computers. PRS have spent a lot of ££ this year insisting I need a licence, they've sent about 10 letters, to my work address AND to my home address, and have telephoned me about a dozen times too.

They tell me if there are ANY employees you need a PR licence. I tell them that we CAN'T listen to any music because we don't have any speakers, so I don't need a licence. They concede I won't, and at my suggestion agree I won't be contacted again. Then I receive another letter which I ignore, and they follow it up with a 2 phone calls (I think to listen to our 'background music' of silence). Then I receive the same at HOME. I am fed up with being harrassed, it's almost as bad as not having a TV licence because you don't have a TV!

hudsonw

Visit site
That's rubbish! I run a company with one employee other than myself, and no means whatsoever for listening to music - no radio, not even any speakers on the computers. PRS have spent a lot of ££ this year insisting I need a licence, they've sent about 10 letters, to my work address AND to my home address, and have telephoned me about a dozen times too.

They tell me if there are ANY employees you need a PR licence. I tell them that we CAN'T listen to any music because we don't have any speakers, so I don't need a licence. They concede I won't, and at my suggestion agree I won't be contacted again. Then I receive another letter which I ignore, and they follow it up with a 2 phone calls (I think to listen to our 'background music' of silence). Then I receive the same at HOME. I am fed up with being harrassed, it's almost as bad as not having a TV licence because you don't have a TV!

Chill your beans...

Restaurants and bars under 3,750 square feet or retail establishments under 2,000 square feet are exempt from paying fees for playing radio or TV broadcasts for their customers. Public places of any size that play radio or TV broadcasts are exempt from paying fees if they use no more than six external speakers (not more than four speakers in each room) for playing music. Public places that play CDs or hire live musicians (that play cover songs or copy songs) are still subject to being licensed for fees.
Source(s):
Music Licensing Act of 1998

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
A yard is hardly a public place and I'm sure you said it was a radio broadcast...

Anyway, radios on yards is ok if you're on your own / in the evening I guess, I get the spooks when I'm on my own in the dark!
But from a hearing point of view, I like hear yard sounds so if something falls in tack room or phone rings or even if a horse got cast I could hear it. I wouldn't if the radio was on, I used to turn it off at a yard previously but people used to give me hard looks! LOL!

amandap

Visit site
Okay, radios on yards bring out the grumpy old woman in me :)
Me too! I've watched videos of interviews with professional riders in the yard and you can hardly hear them for the noise of the radio and people shouting. I remember one where the horses were in internal stables, rugged up to the nines, standing in the back of their stables trying to rest. It just struck me as being so against the horses being able to perform at their best...
What's wrong with walkmans or the modern equivalent it can be as loud as you want then! lol

I do think very noisy, shouty yards lead to more stress in horses actually and tbh more stressed people too.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What's wrong with walkmans or the modern equivalent it can be as loud as you want then! lol

I do think very noisy, shouty yards lead to more stress in horses actually and tbh more stressed people too.

Teehee!! That's sweet, LOL at walkman!!! Do they even make tapes anymore??

Actually, even ipods/mp3s annoy me, you can still hear it and from a H&S pov, should they be allowed?

Can I join the old woman club?

amandap

Visit site
Teehee!! That's sweet, LOL at walkman!!! Do they even make tapes anymore??

Actually, even ipods/mp3s annoy me, you can still hear it and from a H&S pov, should they be allowed?

Can I join the old woman club?
Lol! Have to be the grumpy old woman club for me! lol I've heard of these ipod/mp3 player thingys btw! My hearing and eyesight hasn't gone yet! lol

Actually, I've had a reread of the posts and funnily enough it seems most of us are commenting on what we like/dislike. Wonder what the horses themselves really think?

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I don't mind it on as long as it's not too loud, and also as long as there aren't people arguing and shouting, like on a Jeremy Vine radio 2 type of programme. Also I think aggressive rock, fast beat dance music, and heavy metal music would upset the horses.

The horses seem to quite enjoy easy listening music I think. We noticed that last xmas, we put a christmas bing crosby cd on every day, and all the horses seemed to doze off in their stables when it was playing. It was quite funny.