Thoughts on this bridle?

Brownmare

Visit site
B320722_S_1.jpg
I'm on the hunt for a new bridle and came across this one from Kramer which I like alot but I'm not convinced on how secure the cheekpiece attachments would be. Has anyone got any experience of these type of attachments and could advise? Or any other makes of comfort bridle that don't strap the mouth shut!

spoo

Visit site
I have the schockemohle version of this and my horse absolutely loves it. It’s alot sturdier than it looks and holds the bit very still. Switched to this from a traditional cavesson about 3 weeks ago and wish I had done it sooner, she is so much happier

Brownmare

Visit site
Thanks spoo that's good to know. Do you think the cheekpieces would come unhooked if the horse rubbed it's head on it's leg or something?

spoo

Visit site
No I don’t think so, I had a job getting them undone to adjust it size wise so they’re definitely very secure!

Lammy

Visit site
I bought a bridle off Kramer it was so small I could barely get it on horses head let alone actually fit it. The sizing isn’t a generous one!

Brownmare

Visit site
I bought a bridle off Kramer it was so small I could barely get it on horses head let alone actually fit it. The sizing isn’t a generous one!
I've heard this before! The horse in qurstion is a 15.3hh tb x wb with a relatively fine head so hopefully the full size should be ok 🤞

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have the schockemohle version of this and my horse absolutely loves it. It’s alot sturdier than it looks and holds the bit very still. Switched to this from a traditional cavesson about 3 weeks ago and wish I had done it sooner, she is so much happier

How does the sizing go on these? Mine is between cob and full, should I go up or down?

Chippers1

Visit site
I have the Kramer with the separate cheek pieces (same reason, didn't want one that held his mouth shut) but I went for separate as I wasnt sure the one above was BE legal.
I bought the cob size as my pony's original bridle was cob sized and it fits perfectly fine but he is a 14hh connie!
Other than that I like how it fits and actually he seems much more comfortable in it than his normal cavesson, he used to throw his head up when I was tacking up but he doesn't now :)
20190601_163700.jpg

Summit

Visit site
I have the Kramer with the separate cheek pieces (same reason, didn't want one that held his mouth shut) but I went for separate as I wasnt sure the one above was BE legal.
I bought the cob size as my pony's original bridle was cob sized and it fits perfectly fine but he is a 14hh connie!
Other than that I like how it fits and actually he seems much more comfortable in it than his normal cavesson, he used to throw his head up when I was tacking up but he doesn't now :)
View attachment 33098

Does anyone know why this cavesson would be classed as anatomical compared to a regular cavesson? I’m only going from what I’ve read re nerves on the face

8BC27FB8-6B5A-4B32-AF74-FA02DA56DD3C.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For people who don't want to shut the mouth, Micklem bridles work fine on some horses without the bottom strap on the jaw. I currently have this bridle on a thoroughbred, and this obviously is a cob. If you want one temporarily, a flash strap does the job very well.

IMG_20180128_183828.jpg

Last edited:

Brownmare

Visit site
Does anyone know why this cavesson would be classed as anatomical compared to a regular cavesson? I’m only going from what I’ve read re nerves on the face

There are a few things I like about this one - the noseband is curved up away from the bit so the cheeks aren't squashed into the teeth when there is a contact on the reins with a jointed bit. The cheekpiece is curved away from the eyes and the lack of buckles there reduces bulk and doesn't impede vision, the useless flappy throatlash has been done away with and the headpiece is shaped to give the ears room and padded over the poll. Plus (for me) there is less cleaning to do!

Brownmare

Visit site
In case anyone is interested I am sending this bridle back 😭 The fit is really weird with the headpiece sitting so close behind the ears that the extra padding digs into them despite the browband being massive (hanging an inch out from the forehead) and yet the noseband is really small!

Back to the drawing board....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh no! shame. I really think the best way to buy bridles for many horses is from suppliers that will let you select the size for each part.
All of my horses have been a mix of sizes, I rarely find an off the peg bridle fits well.
(I have an old prototype cob size handmade IR bridle which actually does fit all of my horses but that's kind of exceptional!)

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have a Micklem and replaced the back of the noseband with a much longer strap

I still use it as a (very loose) drop but it would do up above the bit too

Thats a much better idea. Apart from the fact it looks awful i cant imagine anything worse than the noseband being undone and the metal bits banging against the face!

Summit

Visit site
In case anyone is interested I am sending this bridle back 😭 The fit is really weird with the headpiece sitting so close behind the ears that the extra padding digs into them despite the browband being massive (hanging an inch out from the forehead) and yet the noseband is really small!

Back to the drawing board....

Sent mine back too. Ordered FS for my 16-2 TB and all buckled were on the last hole :oops:. Browband stuck out about 1.5” and noseband was far too wide for his slender face. Shame as it’s lovely leather, just odd sizing.

dixie

Visit site
Try looking at Henry James bridles again. After reading this post a few weeks back I had a look and bought one In the sales and absolutely love it. I’ve been looking for a nice bridle for ages. I bought just the headpiece, nose and and cheek pieces which worked out cheaper too. And the throatlash really makes sense.

Brownmare

Visit site
Try looking at Henry James bridles again. After reading this post a few weeks back I had a look and bought one In the sales and absolutely love it. I’ve been looking for a nice bridle for ages. I bought just the headpiece, nose and and cheek pieces which worked out cheaper too. And the throatlash really makes sense.
They are growing on me I have to say, just need to wait for the next sale now!!

w1bbler

Visit site
I bought a Henry James bridle in their last sale, love it, quality & fit is excellent
I think the sizes come up a bit small, my 14.2 cob needed a full size in everything.
I ordered couple of sizes as wasn't sure on sizing. When i sent bits back rhe refund was in my account the following day. Can't fault their service