Thoughts- un-straight foot!

KatB

Visit site
Basically, if you went to look at a horse who moved straight, was 100% sound, exceptional breeding, jump etc, but it had an in-turned foot, would you consider it or not? It would ideally be a showjumper, although moves well enough and has a nice temperament to event... We're not talking disfigured, just not straight when stood up either...!!

Farma

Visit site
No I would not, mine is 19 now and her confirmation means that 1 foot turns in (well both do but 1 more than the other), it is problematic to balance the foot and causes her problems in other areas. I would not like to deal with it again if I could help it.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I know of one and its a fab jumper - and it doesn't cause any problems. However I also know of another horse - an eventer who is off for life due to the conformation default.

Hard choice, depends on how much the horse is right for you, and if the price reflects. I was also get insurance (but then I have everything insured!)

mtj

Visit site
My horse has his left leg toe in. He is sound trotting in a straight line even with flexion tests.
He is so sound in a straight line, vet actually asked if was on medication at the lameness workup.

But he is now unlevel trotting on a left circle (high articular ringbone). Unfortunately, a wonky leg makes ringbone very likely.

Whilst my horse has got to 17 sound, he is low mileage, only jumped on a surface and I'm very prissy about ground conditions.

If you heart is set on eventing, then I would be concerned. In any case, if you decide to buy, ensure horse is trotted in a circle on hard ground. My horse is totally sound on the r rein trotting on concrete, even with the left leg nerved blocked. Wonky donky to the left.

mtj

Visit site
My horse has his left leg toe in. He is sound trotting in a straight line even with flexion tests.
He is so sound in a straight line, vet actually asked if was on medication at the lameness workup.

But he is now unlevel trotting on a left circle (high articular ringbone). Unfortunately, a wonky leg makes ringbone very likely.

Whilst my horse had got to 17 sound, he is low mileage, only jumped on a surface and I'm very prissy about ground conditions.

If you heart is set on eventing, then I would be concerned. In any case, if you decide to buy, ensure horse is trotted in a circle on hard ground. My horse is totally sound on the r rein trotting on concrete, even with the left leg nerved blocked. Wonky donky to the left.

Thistle

Visit site
Floss has a very slight in turned foot, doesn't cause any probs. Farrier says best not to try to change it in a horse that has finished growing as it would put strain on the joint and bones that wee already formed. You can't easily correct mature bone.

Opposition Buzz has an in turned foot.

ihatework

Visit site
Ihatework, its very reasonably priced...;) id be looking at selling on though eventually ;)

Well it will always be picked up on a vetting and commented on. You will likely decrease your market as there will be some like myself who would think twice. You may limit the price you can achieve unless you put some really fab results on the card.

It's a gamble at the end of the day.
If you need to make a profit, walk away
If happy to break even then worth considering further
If happy to get back what you paid, for the sake of something to ride and have fun on then go with your gut and write the money off :)

Expect worse case and then if it goes well it's a bonus!

TableDancer

Visit site
Personally I never buy a horse with an obvious "issue" to sell on, it always makes life difficult when the time comes: you can see from the replies that you have cut out half your market before you start...

KatB

Visit site
I shouldn't have really mentioned selling as its not a big deal breaker tbh.More interested in experiences/feedback. Normally TD I'd completely agree with you, but I don't stand to loose anything from that point of view with the horse.

simplyhunting

Visit site
I had the ride on a mare who has one foot that turns quite a lot to the inside, never affected her, she went advanced and still hunts now nearly in her twenties!
Personally wouldn't buy one like it, but I'm fussy on legs!

VRIN

Visit site
You want to sell it on but are asking here ... to buy or not to buy... which sort of answers your question...

If you are thinking about it then people coming to buy will be having the same questions..

daisycrazy

Visit site
I'd say it would have to depend on the whole horse. I have had two horses with less than ideal (on the face of it) feet. One was pigeon toed and the other was boxy. Their horn quality was superb, however, and they both behaved and moved like horses who had never had a moments lameness. So they both proved - incredibly tough and the soundest horses I'd owned. Both were used for eventing and show jumping. Both horses I bought cheaply, however, and did not have to sell on before they had more than proved their soundness for hard work. I have also had a number of horses with apparently good shaped, straight feet (passing vettings with flying colours) who have suffered with corns, failed to keep shoes on, bruised easily, etc., etc..

TarrSteps

Visit site
It would depend a lot on how the leg/foot turned and how the hoof landed. If I loved everything about the horse AND the foot landed true, with no pronation I'd certainly consider it, especially if it was going to work well within capacity.

If there was even the chance of having to re sell for any commercial reason though, I would not buy. I have a fairly agricultural view of conformation and soundness compared to many people and even I know lots of people would turn the horse down outright these days, even if it was sound and doing the job. If I thought the horse was REALLY special and would do a rare and popular job - jump 1.30 with an amateur, say - I might say risk it but only if all the other boxes were ticked.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I say it's a big gamble and if you wanted a fun allrounder I would take the gamble.
The fact you have posted in competition riders makes me assume that you want something to compete regularly and maybe to a decent level. In that case I wouldn't take the risk. Horses with good conformation are expensive and they are for good reason, as they are predisposed to be athletic with nothing physical to impede them at the outset. The knock on effect of poor conformation should not be underestimated. I have seen it in friends horses and even my aged 10hh pony who has had an easy life, but his poor confo has affected his joints and hoof wear.

Last edited:

TicTac

Visit site
Oh if we were all perfect! I dont know if you have noticed but Valegro is slightly conformationally challanged in front.

IMO there is no guarantee and you have to make your own mind up. Take into account age, current level of fitness and any previous problems with said foot and then go from there.

Some of the most physically challanged horses cope all their lives without a problem and likewise, a well bred, put together horse can get every problem under the sun. Good luck whatever you decide.

KatB

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) I posted more to get other peoples thoughts, which have been pretty much as I thought they would be :) If I end up with this horse, it will be through some circumstances which tbh are very low risk for me, but am just interested in people's perceptions, being as I have seen a lot more conformationally challenged horses out and about than this one... so people obviously do buy them :) If I were looking for myself specifically, I wouldn't consider it, but I haven't come across this horse by looking for myself, he's kind of been suggested to me :) ;)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have never had a horse with perfect foot confo. All seem to be slightly pigeon toed for some reason. Even my fabulous working hunter pony had a slight pigeon toe. None have ever had any issues or been lame. One is 22 years old and still hunting. He gets a few abscesses/corns every so often but that is from the boxy feet rather than the pigeon toes. None of them dish though so not sure if that has any impact? It never puts me off and as long as they are a pair and not down at the heel then it never worries me. My current one has the worst leg confo ever - hopefully he will be ok!