Thread to reminisce about pre health and safety/designer riding wear days

Regandal

Visit site
......all the horses at our local riding school wore cavesson nosebands. One ex-showjumper had a drop noseband - dead impressive. Never saw a martingale or a numnah until an ex-racehorse arrived. Uber-cool.

monikirk

Visit site
Awful stiff cream riding macs - exercising in the depths of winter with jute rug on and buckling the chest strap around your back to keep your legs warm!

cambrica

Visit site
Crikey, got me thinking of the local gymkhana's.
Gretna Green - now that was fun.
Musical poles where dozens of kids would gallop into closely planted poles with NO HATS ON fighting to put their hats on a pole :eek:
Putting a Mackesons stout or Guiness and a raw egg into the show ponies bran mash.

bluewhippet

Visit site
P6080006.jpg

Cork hat with elastic - check
Whip with metal end - check
Cagoul (makes you sweat and isn't waterproof) - check
Rubber boots (needs an assistant to remove them) - check
Beige jods - check (and I know what you're thinking ;)

circa 1972 :D

Or even better

Before the word safety was even invented

DSCF0011-1.jpg

Those photos are so sweet!

bluewhippet

Visit site
I always caught my horses (including an ex racehorse) with no head collar, managed to vault on and would flat out gallop up the field up to the gate. I used to think that was dead cool.

If I could do that, I'd think it was pretty cool now. My horse might be a bit alarmed though!

Patterdale

Visit site
I used to go out hacking from age 11 ALONE and for hours. No one turned a hair at this.
I look at most of the kids around that age that I teach nowadays and a lot of them can't even put their own bridles on. Sweeping generalisation I know but I speak as I find....!

Things used to be so much more laid back and that was a good thing IMO. I can remember my dad roaring with laughter when I fell off, and getting scooped up and just put back on no matter what.

Local shows used to be better too - you'd take your pony in the showing classes, then the clear round and then ALL the games. Most don't even have games now, and if they did you certainly wouldn't find anything from the showing classes in there! :(
And I'm only going back 15-20 years!

I'm loving this thread btw!

Nosey

Visit site
Chase me Charlies! I remember them attracting quite a crowd. Getting ready for shows the day before & putting plimsoll whitener on your serge

Nosey

Visit site
..Ooops bloody phone..half panel saddle & lampwick girth. Remember 2 hour hacks to get there too...

badgerdog

Visit site
At my local riding club we used to have shows where you paid £1 for the day. This included a ridden class, a clear round, showjumping and always 3 games at the end. Everyone did everything, it was brilliant. Most of us hacked to the shows, trailers and horseboxes were a real luxury.
From around 12 I used to hack out with friends - some as young as 10 and we would go out for hours. In the summer we would go out for around 4 hours to the beach and back, bareback!
The magical 70's before the health and safety police landed!

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
I'm only 19, but things have changed so much!

Going to catch ponies on mass...jumping on the back of the biggest one and leading the rest off it.

Bareback races up lanes, down fields, around forests...anywhere!

No noseband and different coloured rubber bit rings.

Hacking out alone at 10 yrs old on a very naughty shetland pony.

Painting/making your own jumps...out of literally ANYTHING.

Thinking you were the bees knees rocking up at a show with matching brow band, girth, saddle blanket, tie and gloves.

Ponies were never rugged, except the night before a show when, regardless of weather, they were heavyweighted up to their ears.

You were so cool if you had a whip with a hand-shaped end.

Could go on for hours!! :D

finnywinny

www.earthwisegardens.com
Love this thread.

Aged 10 would walk 5 miles to the farm where the pony was (mostly along a main road), ride in headcollar from field to yard - if pony wanted to turn the wrong way a quick passing of the rope under the neck to the other side was needed. Find the one brush, tack up alone, one saddle cloth that looked like a tea towel in red and white check.

Ride for endless hours all over the place alone, often across the A4 and onto the common, there was on old pill box which we could just duck into if it rained (pony would duck head down, never occured to worry what would happen if she suddenly lifted her head) We would both peer out of the hole in the wall to check the rain. Must have been a sight to motorists.

Horrid old stiff jodhs that took ages to get off - nightmare when I found a centipede inside, could not get them off quick enoug - eugh.

We were gone all day, met with friends and made jumps, took picnics, suffered in those old white rubber rainmacs, was made to clean the tack after EVERY ride ....

It was idyllic......

mandwhy

Visit site
stylo long rubber boots that the lining came out with your foot still attached and you had to feed it back in the boot.

I still wear mine haha! I've been thinking it's time for an update for some time now, I have bought loads of jod boots and always go back to my trusty stylos! The lining is well and truly knackered :)

Waffles

Visit site
Circa 1977, my ex racer ( I was 13 or 14 at the time) had a sore on his withers, so I rode him bareback - it was a bit uncomfortable, so I got a massive leather strap and strapped on a folded up blanket and went out hacking on the roads, then into the forestry. It never occurred to me that this might be dangerous.

Oh and galloping across parks because the parkies would come after you blowing whistles, so you had to go fast so they didn't catch you.

Only very posh horses got clipped.

Those green colic drenches we used to have in a first aid kit.

We used to cross this river (the river Rhymney, cardiff) on horseback and the water came up to the stirrups. Apparently, you can't do it now as it's full of bikes and fridges.

kal40

Visit site
Ahh many happy memories here.

One question, didn't grass verges seem wider back then. Most roads had a verge wide enough to canter up (jumping the drains) as we went, regardless if there was any cars driving alongside.

Our ponies were in the biggest field known to man and always stood at the point furthest away so before riding we would walk across to get them then ride back, bare back and hatless. Then bring them back, brush the saddle patch, tack up then disappear. Mum just gave us a time to be back for dinner. No mobiles or fancy apps tracking us. Sometimes a phone call to the farmer saying if you see the girls send them home.

supaspot

Visit site
Circa 1977, my ex racer ( I was 13 or 14 at the time) had a sore on his withers, so I rode him bareback - it was a bit uncomfortable, so I got a massive leather strap and strapped on a folded up blanket and went out hacking on the roads, then into the forestry. It never occurred to me that this might be dangerous.

Oh and galloping across parks because the parkies would come after you blowing whistles, so you had to go fast so they didn't catch you.

Only very posh horses got clipped.

Those green colic drenches we used to have in a first aid kit.

We used to cross this river (the river Rhymney, cardiff) on horseback and the water came up to the stirrups. Apparently, you can't do it now as it's full of bikes and fridges.
this is the best thread ever , Ive done almost everything mentioned on here !
hehhe re the strapped on blanket , we did the same thing in 1973 but only because we couldnt afford the saddle for a while !

kaiko

Visit site
What a lovely thread. Makes me think I should just tell my stroppy sensitive big horse to just get the hell on with it with the same balls and gusto I had as a kid with my ponies. 20 years and adulthood has a lot to answer for.

My sister and I used to make a habit of jumping stiles into farmers fields for a blast round. Or jumping benches, picnic tables etc, she even jumped a dog once (by accident). Every piece of grass was good for cantering on and we could go for hours a day :D

Only changed my hat last year when it occured to me it was over 15 years old eek! And summer holidays used to be about being taken to the stables before 9am and picked up after 5pm while parents were at work. The poines would be ridden probably twice a day, we would help out around the farm etc. I loved my summer holidays to death!

Hippona

Visit site
Love these threads....I didn't have my own pony when I was younger- but I would be gone all day at the riding school.....bus journey or on foot, not ferried around by car. Then I used to ride a friends pony who lived down the road from me.....we'd be gone all day. Literally.

I had the stiff joddies, elasticated cork hat- string gloves. Original green quilted jacket. Toff or what. We had to make a special journey to a shop in Leeds to get me kitted out....

Yes....grass verges were most definitely wider and were to be cantered along with cars skimming your stirrup- jumping grate covers.

Leadropes were actually rope-nothing was pink/purple etc.....buckets were steel galv and bruised your ankles....

We used to ride the ponies bareback with headcollars up the road- no hat....
Happy days.

PollyP

Visit site
I'm only going back 16/17 years here!

When my mum used to drop me off as a 7 year old at the stables (a good half hour drive away) and pick me up at 4/5pm after I had helped out all day!

I used to lead children in their lessons.. I was only 4 years older than them but used to hold them on in place and run around the school like a maniac!

Bringing in 4/6 horses at a time and turning them out on my own from the age of 8!

I remember the first girl at our yard to ever wear a body protector!

Jumping bareback, mini gymkhana races going flat out across the school... Ah so much! I miss it!

MissMistletoe

Visit site
I remember before I got my 1st pony, I used to help exersise other peoples in return for mucking out etc.

I used to ride a horse called Micky whose owner lived at the bottom of an enormous hill. I would arrive, keen as mustard and ready to go with my old push bike in tow. Upon arrival a heap of tack would be thrust into my arms.

On the handlebars the saddle would go, bridle over my head like a necklace, and me and my old bike would crank up this huge Devonshire hill to the yard where Micky lived.

I'd spend hours practising plaiting him up, bandaging, shampooing him (poor chap!!). Then hop on and go out for a few hours, charging through the local woods, cantering on verge, albeit a metre long strip, it was canterable!!

Get back to yard, then cycle 100 miles an hour down that hill, worried that I may just trip up and scuff his lovely black leather saddle on the lane below. Cup of squash at owner's house. then cycle 3 miles home full of happiness, yet shattered.

Those were the days when people didnt expect to be payed for riding other people's horses. You were glad for the oppurtunity when you were pony-less-but pony-mad!.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
picture.php

Why, in 1974, I decided to enter the fancy dress as a fishing boat is anybody's guess! No riding hat - check, bareback - check, plastic browband - check, red nylon reins - check, cagoule - check (though that is part of the costume!)

One of our favourite places to ride was some derelict land, part of which was used as a tip and we used to build jumping courses out of whatever old doors and bedframes we could find there, carefully balancing yet another half brick on top to make it just a bit higher until the ponies couldn't be persuaded to haul themselves over it any more.

Waffles

Visit site
Does anyone remember those plaited nylon coloured reins in the 70s (they amazingly came in black, red, green or blue). I still have a pair under the stairs. They used to cut your hands to pieces if you didn't have gloves on, and if you did have gloves on (the string variety, of course) they would slip through your fingers. Useless. Don't know why I don't throw them in the bin to be honest....

And yes, grass verges were definitely wider and always to be cantered upon!

Shantara

Visit site
Here's going WAY back :p

It's my grandpa, who is no longer with us.

298795_10150296663112888_516957887_7797644_5902996_n.jpg

305750_10150296663217888_516957887_7797645_1045676_n.jpg

Here's a picture from my childhood :p I think that was my first ever show!
IMG_0004.jpg

My first loan pony <3
71671_452844922887_516957887_5295152_290678_n.jpg

I loooove the coloured reins!
71671_452844927887_516957887_5295153_2261459_n.jpg

Wundahorse

Visit site
I just loved all the freedom ,open spaces,lack of traffic and those endless summer days where we spent all day with our ponies,living in our little dream world in which we were going to be the next Caroline Bradley.Somewhere that particular bubble burst,i fear when reality kicked in.All the showjumpers had personality and it was a joy to watch horse of the year show etc,in fact the shows were the highlight of the TV year.I can remember trespassing on farmers land,and once we managed to cut the wire surrounding the old West Malling airfield and had a blast at the side of the runway.I also remember being out all day,forgetting the time and finding ourselves out in the dark.We returned through the woods,all dark and eiree and the ponies who had better senses took of at a gallop back home.No matter what the kids of today have,i would not swap my childhood for theirs.Almost forgot the summer of 1976,wow what a year,spent swimming the ponies in the river,riding bareback and just having good old fashioned fun.

lilyoftheincas

Visit site
I'm probably not part of anyone's generation here haha but just got told last week in my PC rally that I wasn't allowed to wear a t-shirt...while schooling in the indoor school! :(

FionaM12

Visit site
I'm probably not part of anyone's generation here haha but just got told last week in my PC rally that I wasn't allowed to wear a t-shirt...while schooling in the indoor school! :(

:confused: What do you have to wear then? And is it for safety reasons?

One of the joys of being old is no-one tells me what to wear. If they did I'd only ignore them. :D

Patterdale

Visit site
Yes!! Showjumpers had personality and I could say (and spell) the names of all the horses.
I used to get Horse and Pony magazine, they had a pony called Freddy who used to write his own column!
Before that I used to get a magazine which was like a comic with horse stories, really good though and the pictures were amazing. You used to get a small model horse with each one and j collected them all! Never heard of anyone else who got it though, can't remember what it was called! Next time I go to my mum and dads I'm going hunting in the attic!