Throwing in the competition towel... for now...

Girlracer

Visit site
Firstly, this is far from a woe is me thread, although of course I am feeling a little bit sorry for myself, it's just good to get it off my chest as speak to like-minded people about it!

Secondly, I am so grateful to be in the privileged position of owning a horse, especially one like King.

That being said, every part of me is desperate to go eventing. I was fortunate that last year circumstances meant that I did my first season of competitive riding, although without transport it was made fairly difficult and expensive! However I had 2 3.5 hire lorries available to hire locally, and had two friends who kindly took me to a few competitions.

This year however, my two friends that helped me out have moved away, and one of the lorries has stopped operating. The other lorry is extremely popular, and books up months in advance - it's very difficult to get hold of. That coupled with the fact that my riding club (and I have no problem with this) have put a rule in place that you cannot compete with them unless you attend team training on the lead up to a competition, I can forsee this year being especially difficult, and even more expensive at £100 a day for lorry hire.

That coupled with King's temperament, which doesn't allow me to box him up once a month or once every two months and go to a competition and him behave himself. Last year he improved no end throughout the season, although he would still have benefited from more regular outings...

Due to all those reasons I have decided not to pursue any competitive outings in 2017. :(

I am hoping to look to buy a lorry in the summer 2018, so in the meantime we will just have to enjoy the summer at home. :thumbup:

14641918_1013504492108486_7941305660463997457_n.jpg

13775743_944857675639835_2633600573042995959_n.jpg

13325507_910809612377975_6295625324274492614_n.jpg

13346900_910809445711325_7325695624722904195_n.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's frustrating, I know - I had no transport for the first 24 years of horse ownership! But you'll find a way to enjoy it, do you have trainers that can come to you so you can make it a really productive time?

I took out a loan to buy my lorry, it's cheap and cheerful... not that I'm encouraging anyone to take on a debt, but I'd just never have managed to save up and as interest rates are low it's cheaper to pay that back than hire one every month. Can't believe I didn't think of doing it sooner! (lucky have a handy OH who can help with the maintenance!)

Michen

Visit site
Oh that is so frustrating GR :( I took out a loan like milliepops, but I appreciate not everyone is happy with having some debt.

Would he travel in a trailer, would a 4WD be an option? You can get some decent old rice trailers for a grand or so and might be better than nothing!

Alternatively could you move post on some local pages and see if anyone would maybe pick you up? It's nice to have company for outings so if you were down the road (with a smaller horse!) I would have always been keen to give lifts to share fuel money etc.

LeannePip

Visit site
I'm sorry to read this, I have really enjoyed following your progress this past year however can completely understand your decision.

Its an exceptionally expensive sport and lack of transport obviously makes things nigh on impossible, long gone are the days where you could safely hack to venues.

I hope you enjoy your summer, consider this year and investment year, put the time and money into the training ready to come out firing next year!

LeannePip

Visit site
To add to what the others have said above; posting on groups etc is probably a good way to find like minded people, lots who would probably be keen to share lifts, but this still makes it an as and when thing rather than a regular arrangement, but you never know who may be local?

Otherwise you could spend some time volunteering with BE to still be involved even if you are unable to compete for the time being?

Girlracer

Visit site
it's frustrating, I know - I had no transport for the first 24 years of horse ownership! But you'll find a way to enjoy it, do you have trainers that can come to you so you can make it a really productive time?

I took out a loan to buy my lorry, it's cheap and cheerful... not that I'm encouraging anyone to take on a debt, but I'd just never have managed to save up and as interest rates are low it's cheaper to pay that back than hire one every month. Can't believe I didn't think of doing it sooner! (lucky have a handy OH who can help with the maintenance!)

It is frustrating, but as you have said I am going to throw myself into lessons weekly. Unfortunately loan isn't an option as my car is on finance and having not had much credit previously I struggle to get further credit.

Oh that is so frustrating GR :( I took out a loan like milliepops, but I appreciate not everyone is happy with having some debt.

Would he travel in a trailer, would a 4WD be an option? You can get some decent old rice trailers for a grand or so and might be better than nothing!

Alternatively could you move post on some local pages and see if anyone would maybe pick you up? It's nice to have company for outings so if you were down the road (with a smaller horse!) I would have always been keen to give lifts to share fuel money etc.

Unfortunately my car (which is definitely not a tow vehicle) is on finance until June 2018, so bit stuck with what I've got at the moment.

King isn't always the easiest to take out, and for that reason I would be reluctant to ask people to take us out with them.

I'm sorry to read this, I have really enjoyed following your progress this past year however can completely understand your decision.

Its an exceptionally expensive sport and lack of transport obviously makes things nigh on impossible, long gone are the days where you could safely hack to venues.

I hope you enjoy your summer, consider this year and investment year, put the time and money into the training ready to come out firing next year!

Thanks Leanne, I will continue to share our experiences which I am sure will involve lots of training!

I do volunteer for BE so will continue to do so, and I am sure I will still go to cheer on the Riding Club :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Sorry to hear this, is there no-one else in the RC that might be prepared to share transport? It is so difficult, ironically we have a trailer and a lorry and I can't drive either of them so am reliant on my parents or my brother to be available - really need to get my act in gear and sort that out this year.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Ohhhh, I feel your pain about expensive hire. It's just so impossible to justify going out more than once a month. Even that's just almost too much when you work part time like I do!
If I had my own transport and lived anywhere near I would say team up and come with me. It's so frustrating when you work so hard and feel like you'd have a great time out competing but just not being able to.
People who can simply pop out on a weekend for an arena hire or to go to the beach, let alone compete and not have to spend £100+ often don't realise how lucky they are!
Best wishes and keep us all updated x

scats

Visit site
I've always had transport but usually older Lorries. Last year I took out a loan to buy a brand new 3.5 tonne wagon and it was the best thing I've done. I shopped around and got a good loan with low interest rates.
Is this a possibility?

Girlracer

Visit site
Sorry to hear this, is there no-one else in the RC that might be prepared to share transport? It is so difficult, ironically we have a trailer and a lorry and I can't drive either of them so am reliant on my parents or my brother to be available - really need to get my act in gear and sort that out this year.

Ohhhh, I feel your pain about expensive hire. It's just so impossible to justify going out more than once a month. Even that's just almost too much when you work part time like I do!
If I had my own transport and lived anywhere near I would say team up and come with me. It's so frustrating when you work so hard and feel like you'd have a great time out competing but just not being able to.
People who can simply pop out on a weekend for an arena hire or to go to the beach, let alone compete and not have to spend £100+ often don't realise how lucky they are!
Best wishes and keep us all updated x

Thank you, it's frustrating isn't it? A days eventing, even UA by the time you have hired the lorry... well doesn't bare thinking about what you could buy for that!

I've always had transport but usually older Lorries. Last year I took out a loan to buy a brand new 3.5 tonne wagon and it was the best thing I've done. I shopped around and got a good loan with low interest rates.
Is this a possibility?

Unfortunately this isn't a possibility currently, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate. I have a car on finance until June 2018, as soon as that is paid then I will look to purchase a lorry. :)

Dr_Horse

Visit site
Get a price off DMA transport. He is based near me but obviously his price includes fuel as he drives the lorry. He is also fantastic at loading difficult horses and trasporting them. He charged me £300 to go to london and back twice so he is really good price wise!

Britestar

Visit site
Why don't you do online dresssage? At least its a way to compete at home, and keep your hand in.

Dressage4all also do prix caprilli, which is great fun - has a jump in it!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Pay all the extra money you save in entry fees into your car finance or save them up as a deposit for your lorry. Shame you aren't near me I would like to find someone to share costs!

millitiger

Visit site
I've always had transport but my mum drove it for me and I was too complacent to get sorted.
She moved away at the beginning of summer and it was a nightmare trying to get out! I passed my lorry test Sept and it's amazing having the freedom to go where I want when I want.

I think you are near me Girlracer- pm me if you like as happy to offer lifts when we go out :)

lilly1

Visit site
Move the horse to a yard which holds regular comps?

I feel your pain. I've managed to get the money together to get a second vehicle - old freelander and secondhand single horse trailer which is a cost effective option.

HotToTrot

Visit site
That is annoying. But you seem to have thought through all of the options and sadly concluded that there is no sensible way to do transport! But with a bit of luck, it is only a temporary break. There are, as you say, worse things that can happen!

Lyle

Visit site
I can totally sympathise! I spent 12 months without transport, when I decided that I would prefer a small car/float instead of my dads truck. I returned the truck and spent a long time saving up for a car, then float. Twelve months later, I have a lovely little set up! To be honest, the year went so quickly and it was nice to knuckle down and train to advance, rather than training to compete.

nikkimariet

Visit site
So annoying :( But you've looked at all the options it seems and v sensible to pay off car first.

You can consolidate your training and look forward to 2018! Be here in no time!

nato

Visit site
I would suggest looking into moving to a yard that holds regular competitions or training, or even has a variety of facilities that can help you keep things varied. It might be a bit more expensive on livery but you would save a fortune on transport which would balance it out. This would also help Kings sensitivity as the venue would become his 'home' so might help him settle a bit at shows.

Outside of that I would find yourself a travelling instructor and book a biweekly lesson and have them challenge you at home like you would in a comp.

I didn't compete for the first year I owned my horse. Honestly, now that I have transport I find myself overwhelmed with options which can put pressure on to get out and about -sometimes that can compromise your training and progression. You have a real advantage here that you are now focusing on improving for you, with no time pressures! You'll notice a big difference I bet.

Girlracer

Visit site
Thanks for all the lovely responses.

Unfortunately I don't have a competition venue that couples as a livery yard within a reasonable distance of home. He is a really stressy, sensitive soul and doesn't cope well on a big busy yard. He is the happiest and most settled where he is now and I don't want to sacrifice that either. Trust me - I have considered it! :)

The sensible option (unfortunately) is to wait, pay off my car, and then buy one in 2018. In the meantime I have plans for lots of lessons to keep us occupied! :)

MileAMinute

Visit site
Thanks for all the lovely responses.

Unfortunately I don't have a competition venue that couples as a livery yard within a reasonable distance of home. He is a really stressy, sensitive soul and doesn't cope well on a big busy yard. He is the happiest and most settled where he is now and I don't want to sacrifice that either. Trust me - I have considered it! :)

The sensible option (unfortunately) is to wait, pay off my car, and then buy one in 2018. In the meantime I have plans for lots of lessons to keep us occupied! :)

Well done on being so sensible, it's not as fun but a lorry is certainly not worth getting into debt for! At least you can knuckle down with lessons and fine tune everything ready for 2018!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I feel your pain as I am in a similar position. With a new job which meant more hours and luck of transport I haven't comepeted in around a year. I probably won't get out much this year due to the cost of hiring but like you aim to get some transport possibly in 2018 when car finance paid off (saving for a house so don't want 2 vehicles on finance). It isn't frustrating but to be honest will go fast and you can still have fun and lessons at home x

leflynn

Visit site
I feel your pain too but I am very very lucky in that I manager to grab quite a few lifts and that we manage to get out about to at least one lesson and one comp a month, plus also managed to get out hunting too. Would love my own lorry (and to repay the favours one day), meanwhile I am eternally grateful to all those that help me out :)

mrsh2010

Visit site
:'( I'm going to miss seeing you two out, but I fully understand your reasoning. The new club rule is certainly looking at pushing a few out, me included, as I already have my own instructors :(

We had a great year last year!!