Thunderbrook Feeds - your thoughts & experiences please

BBP

Visit site
I tried the chaff and daily essentials as I liked the idea of him 'eating clean' and my fussy horse wouldn't touch it. He's now on a feed with lots of 'nasties' in it (spillers lite and healthy hooves unmolassed, I have no issues with these, not quite sure why people think wheat feed is the devils food). He looks a billion dollars, incredibly shiny coat, barefoot with amazing feet, behaving better than ever and ulcers have not come back, so I'm not going to try the thunderbrooks again (although I think the chaff smells lovely). I was told the prices have gone up after we voted to leave EU as their ingredients for haycobs etc are shipped in from Europe.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I liked the idea of it, tried it for three months. I think unless you have a really tender-constitution horse who needs a super pure diet it's a bit expensive and overrated with all the options for chaff out there. Never tried the base mix- it's basically rice bran with added stuff and I feed Equijewel when my horse needs a bit more padding.

I mix grass chaff with some alfalfa pellets (I know not everyone's horse gets on with it but mine does just fine and it's one of the better protein sources I've found for a competition horse), and ForagePlus Laminae Plus balancer for vits/mins/amino acid/linseed. It works out to just over £1 per day.

Milliemuncher

Visit site
The people who own it are the rudest, vilest people I have ever met and on that basis alone I wouldnt feed it if it was the last feed one earth :lol: Lots of forums/FB groups wont allow the brand to be mentioned at all as it just causes such grief with the company owners

However I also dont like the ingredients, so even if they were lovely, charming people it still wouldnt be for me :)

what absolute rubbish, thunderbrooks are one of the market leaders in horse feeds now and we all feed they’re products locally, I’ve always found them helpful and think comments like this are just pathetic

Milliemuncher

Visit site
I liked the idea of it, tried it for three months. I think unless you have a really tender-constitution horse who needs a super pure diet it's a bit expensive and overrated with all the options for chaff out there. Never tried the base mix- it's basically rice bran with added stuff and I feed Equijewel when my horse needs a bit more padding.

I mix grass chaff with some alfalfa pellets (I know not everyone's horse gets on with it but mine does just fine and it's one of the better protein sources I've found for a competition horse), and ForagePlus Laminae Plus balancer for vits/mins/amino acid/linseed. It works out to just over £1 per day.
Rice bran is just 1 ingredient

Griffin

Visit site
I feed their Healthy Herbal Chaff (have done for several years now) and I find it really economical because it is very 'vacuum packed'. My mare won't eat powdered balancers (she likes her Hack Up because it is minty), so their balancer was never going to be for her (we use a pelleted one from Spillers).

I really like their hay cobs and their treats, which are quite reasonable if you bulk buy.

PS: Many of their herb/forage products are brilliant if you have rabbits or guinea pigs!

TPO

Visit site
The people are so awful that I thought you couldnt mention them on here anymore? I'm maybe confusing that with FB groups.

They could make the best feed going (they don't) and I wouldn't give them a penny for a it. Leo Walker's post sums it up perfectly

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
what absolute rubbish, thunderbrooks are one of the market leaders in horse feeds now and we all feed they’re products locally, I’ve always found them helpful and think comments like this are just pathetic
Do you work for them? I assume so, due to you bouncing a thread over 4 years old.

Griffin

Visit site
4 year old zombie thread.

I don't consider informing others of their past behaviour pathetic at all, I think people should know.

wow, I didn't notice the date when I posted. Oh well, I still feed their chaff and a few bits and pieces (I don't work for them and I am well aware of their social media antics) but my mare likes it and it suits us. I also use Hack Up Bespoke, so in the eyes of H&H forums, I am without redemption ;-)

Scarlett

Visit site
It's not absolute rubbish at all. There's plenty of us who had a similar experience with TB and would never recommend them or use them. Ever.

I was subject to an aggressive message from one of the owners, sent in response to me messaging them to ask for information on the ingredients after I had tried two of their feeds for 2 months and had not had a good experience. My horses lost a lot of weight and didn't do well on it, despite me feeding the required amounts at great expense.

I'm sure it works for some, every feed has those that love it and those that hate it, but the attitude of the company and a lot of its customers leaves a lot to be desired.

Surbie

Visit site
I didn't notice the date & have now read the whole ruddy thing.

Mine's on Agrobs wiesencobs & speedibeet (and a sack of each lasts well over a year as his feeds are so pitifully small). Have to say that they (TB) don't come over well & I wouldn't buy their product in a hurry, given the many choices available. If you're linked to them Milliemuncher, personally I'd have let this thread lie dormant.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It's not absolute rubbish at all. There's plenty of us who had a similar experience with TB and would never recommend them or use them. Ever.

I was subject to an aggressive message from one of the owners, sent in response to me messaging them to ask for information on the ingredients after I had tried two of their feeds for 2 months and had not had a good experience. My horses lost a lot of weight and didn't do well on it, despite me feeding the required amounts at great expense.

I'm sure it works for some, every feed has those that love it and those that hate it, but the attitude of the company and a lot of its customers leaves a lot to be desired.

I had a similar experience when asking about ingredients, very aggressive reply. One of the owners was also rude to me and called me stupid in the facebook tb fan page/i mean barefoot uk page because I didn't know who he was.

It's not the only feed out there and life's too short to deal with rude and hostile sellers when there are other options.

Scarlett

Visit site
I had a similar experience when asking about ingredients, very aggressive reply. One of the owners was also rude to me and called me stupid in the facebook tb fan page/i mean barefoot uk page because I didn't know who he was.

It's not the only feed out there and life's too short to deal with rude and hostile sellers when there are other options.
Yup. I was also called stupid, and that I wouldn't understand the ingredients. He wanted me to just feed it blindly.

Swapping to their feeds was the first step of a turn of events that left me with very poorly horses, I will regret it for a long time!

And I still don't know what was in the bloomin' stuff!

TPO

Visit site

Same, I had a trimmer flog me the base mix way back in 2010.

I contacted TB to ask what the ingredients and analysis were as they weren't listed on the bags or website at the point. I was told I would never be able to understand what they meant and I didnt need to know, I should feed what they tell me because they know best.

They proceeded to insult other companies and say that they hid "the truth". When I pointed out that I could get the ingredients of every other feed from the manufacturer TB reverted to the "you're too dumb to understand them and dont need to know" spiel. Trimmer also spouted this when I asked him and he was swiftly dumped too.

In preceeding years I received nasty messages from TB simply for not recommending their feed in threads (I didnt being them up) and witnessed them harrassing multitudes of people.

Like I said they could make a magical feed that turned neurotic TB into a 5 star eventer and I still wouldnt put a penny in their pockets.

holeymoley

Visit site
Same, I had a trimmer flog me the base mix way back in 2010.

I contacted TB to ask what the ingredients and analysis were as they weren't listed on the bags or website at the point. I was told I would never be able to understand what they meant and I didnt need to know, I should feed what they tell me because they know best.

They proceeded to insult other companies and say that they hid "the truth". When I pointed out that I could get the ingredients of every other feed from the manufacturer TB reverted to the "you're too dumb to understand them and dont need to know" spiel. Trimmer also spouted this when I asked him and he was swiftly dumped too.

In preceeding years I received nasty messages from TB simply for not recommending their feed in threads (I didnt being them up) and witnessed them harrassing multitudes of people.

Like I said they could make a magical feed that turned neurotic TB into a 5 star eventer and I still wouldnt put a penny in their pockets.

ah I’m sure it was yourself I said to about said trimmer. He works very closely with Tb and tells all his clients to feed it. Unfortunately for the horse I’ve seen the end result.

Reactions: TPO