Tic Toc found. :(

Noodles_3

Visit site
It's so sad but I'm glad there is closure. I don't mean to sound awful but how can they say just because he's never wondered off before he would never do it. He's an animal and as lovely as he probably was he still would be unpredictable as most animals are/ can be!

I always believed he had escaped but I'm sorry to the family for their loss and Rip to Tic Toc xx

EstherYoung

Visit site
Very sad but not unexpected. As others have said, at least the family can have some closure now.

Nb Cushings doesn't cause them to suddenly peg it. It makes them weak, doddery and confused, and certainly when my old mares cushings was bad, her eyesight would start to go. It would be very easy for a confused, elderly cushingoid pony to stumble into a ditch.

brucea

Visit site
^^ Absolutely agree with EstherYoung.

Seen the posts on YouTube. There is something vaguely troubling about the way this is being...well milked. Very sorry for the young lad, we've had the trauma of a child who has lost ponies twice in fact and it takes a long time to get over. But there is something here that just does not feel right to me. I really hope I'm off at a tangent.

Pergolide/Prascend is not the whole answer to cushings, there is a lot that you can do with other approaches that contribute a lot to maintaining and enhancing the quality of life of a Cushings pony (I have one, he is out third). We are having great success with very focussed herbal preparations.

Tiffany

Visit site
Very sad for all concerned although I'm sure it time they will be pleased they have closure albeit, not the ending they and everyone else hoped for.

RIP Tic Toc

GeneGenie

Visit site
R.I.P Tic Toc. How heartbreaking. I PM'd Catriona on FB to ask if true a day ago and now I've popped in here, I know there was no need to doubt what I thought was gossip.
The fenland area is full of drainage ditches and dykes. Many ditches are waterlogged at this time of year. My heart is broken. I can't bear the thought of him suffering but I did think he must've wandered as the reward was so much more than his actual value. Obviously to Josh and Catriona he was worth the world to them.
I don't know how they'll be dealing with this as didn't they tell Josh that Tic Toc had gone to a retirement home?
I know other people put up the reward (or certainly added to it) and wonder if some would be used for a new pony? It'll never be Tic Toc but would make a little boy smile again.

GeneGenie

Visit site
Central News, Anglia Region

“The cause of Tic Toc's death remains unknown and there are no obvious factors. He was found close to a shallow dyke about half a mile from the family home by a dog walker. The rug which he always wore was missing.​
The area had been searched again and again said Mrs Porter, "probably hundreds of times" and it's unlikely he would have been missed.​
She feels Tic Toc had been kept by someone and dumped several weeks after he disappeared. She says the police have been informed and are investigating.”​

TicToc didn't just 'lose' his rug. Seems he did go under criminal circumstances. How terribly sad. Bless you Josh and Catriona xx

Genie

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site

TicToc didn't just 'lose' his rug. Seems he did go under criminal circumstances. How terribly sad. Bless you Josh and Catriona xx

Genie​

What brings you to that conclusion! You are only going on what was on FB it is being milked im afraid!​

Moomin1

Visit site

“The cause of Tic Toc's death remains unknown and there are no obvious factors. He was found close to a shallow dyke about half a mile from the family home by a dog walker. The rug which he always wore was missing.​
The area had been searched again and again said Mrs Porter, "probably hundreds of times" and it's unlikely he would have been missed.​
She feels Tic Toc had been kept by someone and dumped several weeks after he disappeared. She says the police have been informed and are investigating.”​

Genie

Plenty of horses lose rugs daily without criminal activity being a factor.

Clava

Visit site
What brings you to that conclusion! You are only going on what was on FB it is being milked im afraid!

Exactly. The extent of criminal action might be the theft of a rug and it might have been leaving a gate open, but that is pure speculation as equally the rug could be lost and I know a few small ponies who are excellent at escaping.

Another pony also proclaimed as "stolen" all over facebook has now been found dead after being hit by a car.

RunToEarth

Visit site
£1000 reward, upped to £6000 reward. Why would anyone who had stolen a low value pony not collect the cash?

I agree with this. For those who aren't familiar with the area - it is abundant with large drainage dykes and a pony would struggle to cross any real ground without coming across a good deal of dykes. I'm afraid the lack of rug isn't enough to suggest he has been stolen and dumped.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I am currently seething. I live fairly close to where Tic Toc was lost. I have had a pony dumped on me yesterday which was found playing in traffic. We are unable to contact or find owners. I've just rung the police whose response was "What do you expect us to do about it". I said "Well ideally you'll be able to tell me that someone has reported it lost or missing". The reply? "Oh we don't deal with that you'll need to contact the RSPCA". I did get them to take my address and phone number but only at my suggestion.

So I rang the RSCPA - my local animal rehoming centre. No option for horses so used the "Report a stray cat or dog" option. Very nice girl said they couldn't deal with lost pony, they just do cats and dogs - although I persuaded her to take my name and phone number just in case someone rang - and I had to ring the main number, which she gave me. At that point there is an option for horses, great! I thought, until it proved to be a recorded message telling me that all horses come with a freezemark and to ring Farmkey!

The upshot is that I have someone else's pony in my yard. No-one wanted to take details about him - it wasn't until I pushed them that they did. I don't expect that his owners wanted him, it looks as though they have cleared out and left him behind and the landlord has opened the gate and let him out, but the police and the RSPCA don't know that and they just didn't care.

Last edited:

*hic*

Visit site
I agree with this. For those who aren't familiar with the area - it is abundant with large drainage dykes and a pony would struggle to cross any real ground without coming across a good deal of dykes. I'm afraid the lack of rug isn't enough to suggest he has been stolen and dumped.

This is partly why I am so cross about the lack of care for the little chap I have. He's a mini Shetland. Sure-footed, yes, but he would disappear in a smallish drainage ditch so easily.

Clava

Visit site
I am currently seething. I live fairly close to where Tic Toc was lost. I have had a pony dumped on me yesterday which was found playing in traffic. We are unable to contact or find owners. I've just rung the police whose response was "What do you expect us to do about it". I said "Well ideally you'll be able to tell me that someone has reported it lost or missing". The reply? "Oh we don't deal with that you'll need to contact the RSPCA". I did get them to take my address and phone number but only at my suggestion.

So I rang the RSCPA - my local animal rehoming centre. No option for horses so used the "Report a stray cat or dog" option. Very nice girl said they couldn't deal with lost pony, they just do cats and dogs - although I persuaded her to take my name and phone number just in case someone rang - and I had to ring the main number, which she gave me. At that point there is an option for horses, great! I thought, until it proved to be a recorded message telling me that all horses come with a freezemark and to ring Farmkey!

The upshot is that I have someone else's pony in my yard. No-one wanted to take details about him - it wasn't until I pushed them that they did. I don't expect that his owners wanted him, it looks as though they have cleared out and left him behind and the landlord has opened the gate and let him out, but the police and the RSPCA don't know that and they just didn't care.

Well if a dog went missing the police would say the same. People are responsible for their own animals and we do not have a national animal catcher taking animals to holding pens and I'm not sure we need one. Best bet to find the owner is to contact local facebook groups.

popsdosh

Visit site
I in the recent past lost a 17hh int event horse in a dyke. She had got loose and we had no clue where she had gone .She was found next day but had been walked past a dozen times whilst searching.
this is just to show it was difficult enough to see her let alone a pony as hard as it was for me at least I knew she had died instantly!

*hic*

Visit site
I'm holding the little chap at my cost, not trying to palm him off on someone, all I wanted to do was report him found in case anyone had lost him and wanted him back. Plus I assume that if I end up having to take responsibility as there is no passport with him I can at least say that I tried to make it easy for his people to find him, and do it legally.

Last edited:

risky business

Visit site
How sad..

Im not sure why there's such a fascination of him being stolen? Does it make it easier to accept the death knowing someone else caused it and not it was just an accident? Someone to blame? Either way the poor thing has been found now at least there's some closure.

I can't see any logical reason for anyone to steal him and I think things like fb don't help with making a mountain out of a mole hill

RIP tic toc.

popsdosh

Visit site
How sad..

Im not sure why there's such a fascination of him being stolen? Does it make it easier to accept the death knowing someone else caused it and not it was just an accident? Someone to blame? Either way the poor thing has been found now at least there's some closure.

I can't see any logical reason for anyone to steal him and I think things like fb don't help with making a mountain out of a mole hill

RIP tic toc.
Totally agree and who in their right mind would dump him back so close to where he went missing!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Very sad ending :( I never thought he was stolen, without being insensitive, you can't give away little old ponies! particularly ones with health issues. I guess it was hope to hold on to that there was still a chance of him being found, I hope the family are coping ok and can move on now they have closure- as hard as that will be :(

CobsGalore

Visit site

Sorry if I'm being completely ignorant here, and I don't mean to be insensitive - but I don't understand how a pony could not get out of a drainage dyke? Are they not just like dug out streams with sloping banks either side? Are the banks too steep? Do they get slippery?

Are drainage dykes dangerous for lots of animals, including wild animals?

putasocinit

Visit site
I find it strange a pony/horse would wander off on its own away from its herd, yes it would graze a small distance away, but mine are never far from each other and usually end up all grazing together soon after one moves away to some scrummy grass. Maybe they can injure themselves when falling in to the dyle so unable to get back out.

There are so many questions in the horsey world and life itself, if we only knew all the answers.

*hic*

Visit site
I find it strange a pony/horse would wander off on its own away from its herd, yes it would graze a small distance away, but mine are never far from each other and usually end up all grazing together soon after one moves away to some scrummy grass. Maybe they can injure themselves when falling in to the dyle so unable to get back out.

There are so many questions in the horsey world and life itself, if we only knew all the answers.

I posted earlier that I'd got one who was found yesterday. I have now made contact with his owner and he's home but to answer your point he "was stolen", ie escaped from, a field leaving behind a companion he'd been with for well over a year. Why? who knows!

When the animals slip into the water, especially those with long coats, they take so much water on board that they can't get out. Also the dykes are cut with steep banks down but the water channel itself has vertical sides. Even sheep, which are normally so nimble, get stuck.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Sorry if I'm being completely ignorant here, and I don't mean to be insensitive - but I don't understand how a pony could not get out of a drainage dyke? Are they not just like dug out streams with sloping banks either side? Are the banks too steep? Do they get slippery?

Are drainage dykes dangerous for lots of animals, including wild animals?

It depends very much on the construction of the dyke and how big it is. Ramsey St Marys is in the heart of the fens - it is on the edge of what was Whittlesey mere and is 4m below sea level. To keep it drained and stop it from flooding there are a large amount of IDB drains which have a huge capacity - they really would be difficult to get out of, especially given the wet weather - to keep drains at capacity they are scoured routinely meaning there are often slippery earth sides with little vegetation.

I have had horses out hunting tip up in dykes and it has often taken 6 or 7 strong men to pull them over and get them out - without any help if the pony was wedged there is a very real chance of him drowning/struggling his way to exhaustion.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
plenty of horses in somerset need the fire brigade to recover them from ditches- they can be very deep/wide and steep sided with no purchase. Wild animals tend to know their travelling routes a bit better.

putasocinit

Visit site
Pity they couldnt be covered with strong mesh so the water could still pass through but nothing could fall into them. Guess i am being over hopeful but appreciate it would cost millions.