Tic Toc found. :(

Mariposa

Visit site
6grand reqard for an old stolen pony worth nothing to anyone other. Than the owners and its not returned??

Seriously!

Why don't they donate that. 6 grand to people who have had there horses stolen? People who literally search day in day out chasing leads. People who haven't been able to play the poor Little boy at xmas card!

I don't understand why you're so seemingly angry about their attempts to track him down. What's the problem? The owners took it upon themselves to use every means possible to find their lost pony - and made the most of social media. The story was picked up by the media, and was all over the news. They offered rewards.....what exactly is the problem with that? If one of my ponies went missing, presumed stolen, I'd do everything in my power to spread the word - wouldn't you?!

The whole thing is very sad, as it is when any pony or horse is lost. I understand ( and correct me if I'm wrong) that the pony was found wearing a headcollar, which does suggest something more than him just walking out of his field. But quite frankly whatever happened, let's just show sympathy for a young boy who has lost a pony he clearly adored.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I don't understand why you're so seemingly angry about their attempts to track him down. What's the problem? The owners took it upon themselves to use every means possible to find their lost pony - and made the most of social media. The story was picked up by the media, and was all over the news. They offered rewards.....what exactly is the problem with that? If one of my ponies went missing, presumed stolen, I'd do everything in my power to spread the word - wouldn't you?!

The whole thing is very sad, as it is when any pony or horse is lost. I understand ( and correct me if I'm wrong) that the pony was found wearing a headcollar, which does suggest something more than him just walking out of his field. But quite frankly whatever happened, let's just show sympathy for a young boy who has lost a pony he clearly adored.

At last a return to good sense.

klipped

Visit site
At last a return to good sense.
I've. Never once doubted there love for the pony!

If your horse was stolen right now, wouldn't you want someone whose voice is been listened to by the nation to speak out about him? I know I would!

As I've said it is sad, but there are horses that are 100% known to be stolen. There in a position to raise awareness of this.

Outside the equine world they'll know look at this as another horse wondering off. Which stops future searches for other people.

Surely that's reasonable to understand.

The last thing we need is for outsiders to switch off to other cases because there's questions regarding this! This does happen everyday. And it needs to be noted.

FionaM12

Visit site
I've. Never once doubted there love for the pony!

If your horse was stolen right now, wouldn't you want someone whose voice is been listened to by the nation to speak out about him? I know I would!

As I've said it is sad, but there are horses that are 100% known to be stolen. There in a position to raise awareness of this.

Outside the equine world they'll know look at this as another horse wondering off. Which stops future searches for other people.

Surely that's reasonable to understand.

The last thing we need is for outsiders to switch off to other cases because there's questions regarding this! This does happen everyday. And it needs to be noted.

I've no idea why you're so angry about either. You say they "played the little boy who's lost his pony at Christmas card". He's a little boy. He'd lost his pony. It was Christmas. :rolleyes3:

How on earth does this impact on other peoples' searches? If they believe he was stolen, rightly or wrongly, that's their business. Whether he was or wasn't I can't imagine how you think their tragic loss is going to affect any future searches for lost or stolen ponies.

I think, personally, you have another agenda here.

FionaM12

Visit site
Because they'll say: another. Horse wondered off.

They'll just assumeits the norm and not take it in like they have. Surely that makes sense?

No. Not at all.

Some people believe he was stolen, some don't. We'll probably never know for sure.

I honestly don't see how the outcome of this sad little story will impact on future missing horse cases. Personally I think many supposedly "stolen" pets may actually have strayed but that wouldn't stop me helping look for someone's animal. Why should it?

klipped

Visit site
No. Not at all.

Some people believe he was stolen, some don't. We'll probably never know for sure.

I honestly don't see how the outcome of this sad little story will impact on future missing horse cases. Personally I think many supposedly "stolen" pets may actually have strayed but that wouldn't stop me helping look for someone's animal. Why should it?

I just believe such things should be as nationwide asthis, and like I say whilst people are listening it would be nice for them to raise awareness.

Like I've said its what I think no one has to agree x

FionaM12

Visit site
How many horses stolen are in the news? None. And it happens constant.

How many people. Would take note of a. Stolen horse who wernt horsey? Very few

Why?

Sometimes, the media picks up on a particular story because they think it has "appeal". I can see how the Tic Toc story would fall into this category, as it featured a cute kid and cute pony. Sadly, the media coverage didn't help as the poor mite was probably dead already. :(

Whether the media pick up on another case has nothing to do with this family, and this story. It's just the nature of the news media.

You also seem a little obsessed about the reward money in your earlier posts. You do come across as rather spiteful I'm afraid.

As for horses being stolen "happening constant", actually I don't think that's true. It must be awful when it does happen, but fortunately it's not too common.

Mariposa

Visit site

Why?

How many owners get as active as Tic Toc's did on social media, print media and online? They pulled out all the stops to spread the word, hashtagging the story all over the web. The story clearly caught the media's heartstrings due to the time of the year, the fact that it was a little boy and his pony - and you seem to begrudge them that.

What I'm confused by is what your point is in all this? You seem annoyed that they got publicity for their missing pony - and I just don't understand why? If a missing horse gets into mainstream media people take note, and surely that should be the aim of anyone whose horse goes missing - to spread the word as best they can.

Clava

Visit site
As for horses being stolen "happening constant", actually I don't think that's true. It must be awful when it does happen, but fortunately it's not too common.

Have to agree, I think horse thefts are actually quite rare (but there are many ownership disputes).

magicmoose

Visit site
Klipped, you are having a go at Tic Toc's owners for (as you see it), wasting everyone's time and goodwill raising awareness for a missing pony that you don't believe was stolen. In the next breath you want them to use the profile that they have raised and the reward that was offered to help other owners trace their stolen horses.

If you want someone to do something, it is probably not the best idea to say that what they have been doing so far is stupid, insulting and annoying!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Drainage ditches (called dykes or drains locally) in the Cambridgeshire fens are not little "ditches" as we think of like you see alongside roads, or even decent-sized ditches as you might jump out hunting/xc.

Fenland drains are much more like canals - steep, near-vertical sides, and a large depth. The most local drain to me has a depth of 10' (2.5m) when full.

At the moment it's full, 10' (2.5m) deep of water, and about 12' (3m) across.
During the summer it was almost running dry, just 3" (15cm) of water, but still with 10' high banks.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
And it's because of these ditches that asking people to come and walk the banks would actually have been more effective than asking them to "Share this on facebook".

FionaM12

Visit site
And it's because of these ditches that asking people to come and walk the banks would actually have been more effective than asking them to "Share this on facebook".

I assumed they did both. If I was hunting for an animal, I'd spend my daylight hours searching and when I had to stop, try to drum up more people to help in the search via the internet. Facebook's very good for that. Several local lost dogs have been quickly reunited with their owners through Facebook campaigns. :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think the trouble is that local people were reporting at the time that there seemed to be no call to methodically walk banks and look, just that he has been stolen.

FionaM12

Visit site
I think the trouble is that local people were reporting at the time that there seemed to be no call to methodically walk banks and look, just that he has been stolen.

:( Then that's even sadder. Unfortunately I think there's a lot of hysteria about the supposed stealing of pets, with daft warnings about plaits in manes etc which leads people to assume "stolen" instead of accepting the more likely scenareo of animals wandering off or having escaped. I would think an intensive local search should always be done, unless you've personally seen the animal being loaded and transported away. :(

LaMooch

Visit site
:( Then that's even sadder. Unfortunately I think there's a lot of hysteria about the supposed stealing of pets, with daft warnings about plaits in manes etc which leads people to assume "stolen" instead of accepting the more likely scenareo of animals wandering off or having escaped. I would think an intensive local search should always be done, unless you've personally seen the animal being loaded and transported away. :(

Don't get me started with the marking to be stolen plaits in mane........................................

Dizzle

Visit site
Don't get me started with the marking to be stolen plaits in mane........................................

Not to mention the spraying of special signs by gypsies to mark out houses to steal dogs from (or you know, fix gas mains, water mains etc!!)

fatpiggy

Visit site

Why?

It does not happen "constantly" . A friend of mine had her jumping pony stolen from the field about 20 years ago. She claimed the insurance, and about 5 years later spotted him at a local show but kept her mouth shut as she didn't want him back anyway. The vast majority of missing horses are accidentally or deliberately let out of their fields and they go walkabout. We had several exit the field next to my horse - some went, others stayed but they got about half a mile away. The very first place I would look is in areas of hazard, particularly with an elderly pony who with Cushings may have had eyesight issues, and being old would be more susceptible to a simple falling accident. As to what would I do if my horse disappeared, nothing - she's already dead. But she was freezemarked on the shoulder which even a non-horsey person would be able to read. I would do everything I could to spread the word if she was missing and if that meant the national press then yes, of course. If people aren't interested, they won't read the article so nothing is either gained or lost. And if you read newpapers, you would see that there are regularly stories about horses that were stolen, or cats that went missing and reappeared some time later with the owner finally getting them back - happy endings sell stories.
Some years ago I happened to spot a notice on a telegraph pole about a missing cat. I hadn't been that way for months and it was pure luck that I did and read the notice as I recognised the picture as the "stray" that had turned up on the farm where I kept my horse. I was able to phone its owner with the good news and restore her skinny and filthy" missing presumed dead" pet safely to her. That cat had been missing 6 weeks. Luck and chance in equal measures.

Dizzle

Visit site
My pony went missing last year, I had a phone call at 3pm from a friend at my yard, pony had been found at a farm about a mile away from ours, pony had been at said livery yard since 10am.

There hadn't even been a whisper on social media that a pony had been found, it was only because a livery had called my friend's mum. The yard is a mile away from ours and we have to hack through their farm to get to the good hacking, it's very well known that our yard uses that route but no one thought to call our YO!

Embarrassingly the only way she identified her as my pony was the fact I'd clipped a bolt of lightening on her bottom, apparently it took a bit of explaining that said small pony with comedy clip belonged to an adult.

No idea to this day how pony got out. She either jumped a 5 bar gate at the top of a VERY steep bank or she jumped three five bar gates and walked past the entrance to the yard and other horses to wonder off on her own. Not a mark on her.

But if I had been at the yard earlier she may well have been reported as stolen!

putasocinit

Visit site
Why mane plait to tag the horse you are going to steal to show you are going to steal it, when you can just take a photo on your mobile phone lol