Tick prevention

Clodagh

Visit site
When we move to Devon I think we will be encountering a lot of ticks. We get them so rarely here in Essex that I don't treat for them, or even check the dogs very often.
I have an advanced neurosis about Lyme disease, so many gamekeepers are suffering with it.
I am taking a couple of dogs for a lepto jab soon so will speak to the vet but I think I should use something?
I only worm them twice a year, that is all the chemicals they get at present. I'm not keen on pour ons, is Bravecto a pill? Can you get away with only using it in summer?
Any advice please.

Thistle

Visit site
Bravecto is a pill, Seresto is a collar, put it on in spring remove in autumn, but can remove for walks/training. Lots swear by Billy no mates, herbal stuff in feed, the equine version helps with Wally's itchyness. I also feed to equine version to out dogs (it's just coarser and cheaper) haven't found a tick yet, must have another close inspection though.

Clodagh

Visit site
Bravecto is a pill, Seresto is a collar, put it on in spring remove in autumn, but can remove for walks/training. Lots swear by Billy no mates, herbal stuff in feed, the equine version helps with Wally's itchyness. I also feed to equine version to out dogs (it's just coarser and cheaper) haven't found a tick yet, must have another close inspection though.

I would prefer not a collar, nor something I have to handle. I imagine you are fairly unaffected by ticks, like us? Although we are over run with deer.

wren123

Visit site
I use nexgard spectra April to November inclusive, on the vet's instructions. It does worms, ticks everything except tapeworm. We walk daily in bushy park where there is Lyme disease and other tick born diseases according to our vet, never see a tick now.
Cheapest for me is to pay for a script and buy online, I find Petdrugsonline reliable and cheap.

Last edited:

numptynovice

Visit site
Thanks for this thread, I was literally coming on to the forum to ask about tick prevention when I saw this post. My dogs have had so many ticks this year, I took three off my older dog yesterday. Following with great interest.

Moobli

Visit site
Despite having numerous sheep and deer we don't have a tick problem where I live, although I do regularly check the dogs when we have been in the forest or woodland.
My neighbours in the Highlands swear by Bravecto (it is a pill) and Glen Etive is heaving with ticks so if they recommend it, it must be good.

twiggy2

Visit site
Bravecto lasts a minimum of three months, most people i know up our way use it every four months plus and thats for dogs on tick infested hills daily.
To be honest I would give it at the first sign of a tick in the area your looking at and then give again if and when you see another tick

druid

Visit site
I do Nexgard Spectra (does worms, flea and tick ) in lung worm areas monthly (Check the online lung worm map for Devon - lung is usually undiagnosed until the damage is done and by then it's too late. It's one where prevention/prophylaxis is required). Otherwise I use Bravecto, first dose in March, second in June, Third in September. Covers our tick season and dogging in and we are in a Lyme hotspot.

maisie06

Visit site
When we move to Devon I think we will be encountering a lot of ticks. We get them so rarely here in Essex that I don't treat for them, or even check the dogs very often.
I have an advanced neurosis about Lyme disease, so many gamekeepers are suffering with it.
I am taking a couple of dogs for a lepto jab soon so will speak to the vet but I think I should use something?
I only worm them twice a year, that is all the chemicals they get at present. I'm not keen on pour ons, is Bravecto a pill? Can you get away with only using it in summer?
Any advice please.

Hi I live in Sussex and we get alot of deer ticks here, After much thought I decided to use NEXGARD from the vet it comes as a chewable tablet , I tried Seresto collars beforehand but having spanners which like water alot and I'm not comfortable with them having collars on when they are in and out of hedgerows and when working they can't wear a collar anyway, plus the springer reacted to the seresto with a very red neck/throat area so a no go for us. I read a few horror stories about Nexgard but on balance with the amount used with no issues I decided to try it. It really works for us, No sign of fleas or ticks, even after a visit to the Lakes and wales on moors full of sheep - not a single tick, nor after dogging in in a wood known for high tick infestation...nothing...in fact when sitting outside the pub I saw a tiny tick on the springer, it went to burrow into the hair on his head then seemed to just fall off.... I do worry about chemicals so I don't use the nexgard monthly, instead using it every 2-3 months seems to suit us. I used it in April and june so far this year and my vet is fine with this. Certainly worth a look and saves spraying the house too which isn't good as we have reptiles too.

Clodagh

Visit site
Thank you all. I will see what the vet says. But certainly will go for a pill. I like the sound of one that does everything.
I will check the lungworm map, good suggestion.

A historical anecdote- in Australia (ticks and fleas galore) I used to feed the dogs mainly on roo.
When I cooked it I put whole garlic bulbs in it (they weren’t poisonous then ?). The dogs stink but had very few passengers.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
We live in tick central. I get off on average I reckon 3 a day from the cat and maybe 2 a week off the dog. Just started a seresto collar for the dog which does seem to be reducing how many she gets. No spot on treatments seem to make any difference for the cat.

I was still getting them off Ted when it was snowing and -5 degrees. Can’t waaaaait to move away from this tick paradise.

deb_l222

Visit site
Rufus had Bravecto but it wasn’t a pill, it was a kind of stock pot type chewy lump that he just ate. In fact he wolfed it down.

I think the normal nose is every three months but he just had one dose at the start of spring and didn’t need another one until the next year. In fact, after he had his first stroke, he never had another dose but he also never had another tick so bizarrely he remained covered for life despite being a tick magnet.

misst

Visit site
Another vote for Nexguard - ticks everywhere here and none on the dogs (removed one from me though this week!). We also have a lot of lungworm around here. Mine eat it no problem at all.

Nasicus

Visit site
Hah, my grandma swears by Billy No Mates, but almost every time I go over theirs, I manage to pull a fat, juicy tick off of one of their dogs!

It is pretty tick-y around here in Devon, and my fields are no exception. I've used Nexguard Spectra for years now with various dogs to great effect. Small Hairy Dog is yet to catch a single one, despite being very much shorter than the grass. Nexguard once a month and a wormer every three months, sorted. Fussy Madam won't actually eat the thing, she'll take it but then goes 'nah', so I just poke it down her throat, but other dogs have always gleefully enjoyed the treat. I think it's because she takes her time to thoroughly chew her food, so she gets all the flavours both meat and medicine, where as your typical lab will no doubt just gulp it down without it touching the sides :D

It did give her a couple runny poops the first time she had Nexguard, but she's been fine ever since.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I use Nexguard Spectra as recommended on here. It’s made a massive difference as they’re rife around here. They still attach but they die pretty quickly.

PurBee

Visit site
For yourself, to spray on your boots/trousers - geranium essential oil dilute in a spray apparently very successful anti-tick repellant.

Have to be wary using essential oils with animals - depending on species etc/dosage/dilution etc.

I got bit last year on my leg making hay. Had trousers/socks/boots all tucked in and still miraculously, a tick got inside. It must have crawled through the weave of my socks. i wasnt wearing a spray, thinking physical barrier was enough. Resulted in a very nasty reaction.
Unfortunately i scratched it off, as i just felt a bite on my leg, while working, thinking probably horsefly, so potentially caused it to spew its yukky bacteria into my leg. Best to pull them off gently whole.

This picture below is the bullseye rash starting of an infected tick bite. The swelling of redness travelled all the way up my thigh of right leg, and all the way down to ankle. All joints on right side of body ached for months afterwards. It didnt itch like horsefly bites, despite being awfully inflamed.

I had a flare up january this year, my knee suddenly exploded inflammation and i couldnt move it.
Im taking treatment and blasting the bacteria.
Ticks are truly worth making the effort to spray yourself against if you walk/work rural areas.

2BC8AC38-E6CF-4F0D-B0E4-F39E70543906.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
Thank you, I was planning on dousing myself and will look a the geranium oil. :)
That looks really nasty.