Time to put to sleep

elliemum

Visit site
Very sadly time to let out daughters pony go :'( Never had to do this before and don't know if the injection or gun is best. Also would like her cremated. Who do people recommend in the beds/bucks area please.

Princess16

Visit site
Very sadly time to let out daughters pony go :'( Never had to do this before and don't know if the injection or gun is best. Also would like her cremated. Who do people recommend in the beds/bucks area please.

No advice never been in that situation yet:-( but just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision. I too wouldn't have a clue which would be best either.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
When I had my mare PTS the vets did by injection. It was very peaceful. She was then taken away and cremated. I was with Wendover Heights at the time, they also put my little arab mare to sleep when her time came and again they were so kind and compassionate.

It's horrible to have to make this decision but I think when the time is right it's the kindest thing to do for the horse.

I hope whatever you decide it goes as peacefully as my two did.

sunshine100*

Visit site
hi so sorry to hear this--graftons are very good--http://www.equinebereavementservices.co.uk/

Individual Cremation - your horse or pony is cremated alone and all the ashes are returned to you in a wooden casket.

£625.00 + VAT or Economic Disposal-£220.00 + VAT

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Hi. So sorry to hear you've to make this sad decision.... 😥

I've held many to be shot - it's quick but abrupt, they drop in an instant. And obviously the noise of the shot is unpleasant to hear. The amount of blood varies.

My own 2 were done by injection, no sedation beforehand (I believe some vets sedate first routinely, but mine don't). With the injection they can sometimes fall more awkwardly in my experience, but it's almost as quick as a bullet, especially if they aren't sedated first. One of mine went down on his haunches first which was hard to watch. The other just folded her legs like she was lying down for a snooze, graceful to the last....

Sending virtual hugs x

Last edited:

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
I would use my vets to pts - was always scared of the thought but sadly my best friends horse needed to be put to sleep last year, my friend was distraught and pregnant at the time so I offered to be there for her as I had known the horse for years, the horse had the injection as it was 2am, I have to say it was so peaceful and if my horse can go the same way when it's his time I would be content as much as you can. Another horse on yard was pts couple of months later, again injection and that was peaceful too x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Injection is peaceful and I can stay with them till the end

I can tell you who I had time before last had bad experiance a few times, Grafton Bereavement. NEVER ever again.

They were rude, did not call me when they had cremated my mare, the truck stunk. When my livery called and asked where my mare was they said " when did we do IT!!. It is not an IT my livery said. Never ever again and had to get the APPCC involved http://www.appcc.org.uk/find.htm

This guy is lovely and did my donkey last year and a livery last year. So respectfull of them and sympathetic too, his dad is a vet, he collects all animals individual( not like Grafton who put one of my liveries in 2012 on top of a shire who was in there already)

Gilles is his name and he even calls the horse by the name when ready to collect ashes, he said to me " Melody is ready to go home " So respectful
http://www.equineandpetservices.co.uk/home.html

it is from this page
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly...ation-of-your-horse-or-pony-or-other-pet.html

Last edited:

happyclappy

Visit site
Sorry to read this, thankyou for making the hard decision. I personlly prefer the gun but not many vets are licenced, so you would need to gt it done by another source

Illusion100

Visit site
Either method can have it's place.

If you, or especially your daughter, want to be with her when she goes, and your mare doesn't get overly worked up over i/v needles I'd recommend lethal injection. If someone else will be holding her at the end, then make sure they would be calm and relaxed with either method. It's best if they are around chilled out friends at the end, where possible ime, especially if being shot.

Choose the method that makes you happiest as there isn't a right answer and both have the same result, so whichever you believe would be best is the right choice.

Condolences.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I am so sorry.

We had to make this decision twice last year fir daughters' ponies, so I really empathise.

We had both PTS by injection. Very quick and stress free for them. We used Grafton for removal and cremation. Vet arranged it all, which really helped.

Grafton were fabulous and I would recommend them.

Spottyappy

Visit site
So sorry to read this.
My only thought in the injection over the bullet is that I have seen a horse who had colic fight the injection and it took about 8 long minutes for her to die. Was awful. The vet had to get another lot of the stuff to euthanise with because of the fight the horse out up.
One of mine who was ill beforehand for about 4 days before deteriorating badly, went peacefully and quickly within a minute from the injection.
Depending on why the horse has to be pts, I would consider a bullet if the animal isn't seriously ill, because of the quickness of it rather than witness the 8 minute scenario I had to endure. I appreciate that is unusual, but having experienced it, it's made me rethink what I would do next time.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Having had both methods with different horses in different circumstances, for the horse's sake I prefer the bullet. It is quicker and the horse knows absolutely nothing about it, especially if you offer a bucket of their favourite feed.
However, if your daughter is going to be present and the pony is well-behaved with vet/injections, you might prefer to use that method, it can seem gentler, especially if it is the first time you have experienced an animal's death.
Personally, I don't care what happens to the body - the horse knows nothing about it but the prices quoted above are about the same as locally.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I once saw a horse fight the injection and it was honestly traumatising to see. I would now always go for a bullet, my previous horse was done this way and had no clue it was happening, did not feel pain or any feeling washing through him (as I imagine could happen with the injection), and went mid way through chewing a mouthful of carrot.

Illusion100

Visit site
I've also seen a few shot horses that weren't actually dead, so shooting them doesn't always go to plan either.

As long as the equine is relaxed and pain has previously been controlled to an acceptable level a lethal injection administrated by an experienced Vet should not cause any issue OP. The same as shooting, make sure the person is very experienced and it should go without a hitch.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I once saw a horse fight the injection and it was honestly traumatising to see. I would now always go for a bullet, my previous horse was done this way and had no clue it was happening, did not feel pain or any feeling washing through him (as I imagine could happen with the injection), and went mid way through chewing a mouthful of carrot.

All those that I have had injected have struggled/fought against it. In fact even bigger dogs seem to take ages to succumb to the injection. If they are very old, or ill, it is likely that their circulatory system is compromised, so it takes longer than optimum for the drugs to get round the body and take effect. I have never had a problem with a bullet. Different vets/operatives have been involved with each horse, so I don't think that has been a factor in any case.

OP, I am sorry you have had to make this decision but am glad for yur pony that you have been able to do so.

wills_91

Visit site
So sorry your having to make this decision.

Two of mine have had the injection and both went quickly and peacefully. I have been present for the bullet and although quick it is not something I would do if I wanted to be there at the end.

Micropony

Visit site
When my horse was PTS the vet did it. On humane grounds he will only shoot, but sedates first. He is quite old school, and some of the younger vets with the same practice will do it by injection. One thing I was told was that the size of my horse (big chunky 17.1 WB) was a factor that could make injection take longer, which I imagine wouldn't be so much of a factor with your daughter's pony. So sorry, it's such a hard decision to have to make x

X

xspiralx

Very sorry you're having to make this decision.

I had my 8 year old PTS about 3 weeks ago. I decided to have him shot mostly because he had become very vet phobic and needle shy and I didn't want him to be stressed and fearful in his last few minutes. I'd also heard a few horror stories about horses fighting the injection and knowing him as a young and energetic horse I thought that could be more likely in his case.

I got a knackerman to come out and do it, and I gave my horse a tube of sedalin first to take the edge off. Stuffed him with loads of carrots and apples, and I stayed with him right up until the minute before, and then walked away. The guy who did it was very calm and quiet, and it was all over in an instant with no stress or fear for my boy at all. The guy cleaned up and took him away as well, so I didn't have to deal with any of that.

Neither choice is wrong, but for my boy it was the right decision to do it that way.

Hexx

Visit site
My boy was pts with injection. He had to have two lots of sedation because he would not stop eating the grass - he had been on box rest for about 2 months and was eager to stuff his face, bless him. I was taken away by the girls on the yard at the last minute so I didn't see him go down - my last view of him was him doing what he loved best, eating. The vet said he went quickly and peacefully.

The wagon was already there so he was loaded and taken away quickly - I didn't have him cremated, by the YO got some tail hair and the Farrier, who was there, took his front shoes off and polished them up for me. I had made the decision to pts in the morning, but the vet/wagon weren't available until the afternoon - I got to spend lots of time with my boy before the end, which was very precious. The other liveries and staff got the chance to say goodbye to him as well, which was nice as most of them had known him for a long time.

melbiswas

Visit site
World Horse Welfare describes what to expect with either method on their web site-'Making a Plan' very accurately to what I have experienced.

My thoughts are with you. I found it very hard once the decision had been made.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've also seen a few shot horses that weren't actually dead, so shooting them doesn't always go to plan either.

My friend had an absolutely horrific experience with the gun. I'm still not quite sure what went wrong, but I think it was a combination of a very sharp horse and my friend being very upset. The vet had her hold the horse and unfortunatley when he shot him the horse flipped out and the bullet hit but didnt put him to sleep. There was an horrific injury sadly and it took more than half an hour for them to be able to sedate him and finish the procedure :(

Very, very traumatic for all concerned! So if you go for the gun have them sedated before hand and dont hold them yourself, and ideall use a "knacker man" not the vet!

elliemum

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your responses and kind wishes. I knew this would be hard but never imagined quite how hard.

Starzaan

Visit site
Another one recommending Giles at equine and pet services. When I had my own yard he cycled past on his way to work every morning and always stopped for a chat, and to give the horses a scratch. When the time came to have my horse of a lifetime PTS, Giles came and got him and was so completely wonderful.

He made the whole awful experience so much easier, and still remembers the horses name when we bump into each other.

Sending you hugs xxx

mytwofriends

Visit site
I'm another who would opt for lethal injection. I was put in that situation three weeks ago when my boy had to be PTS unexpectedly.

He was already at the vets for a scan and had been sedated, so when the result was found to be hopeless, they asked for my consent. It was very hard, but I knew I had no choice. It was the only humane decision. He wasn't stressed at all, and it was very peaceful.

I would do that again in the future simply based on that.

So sorry, OP. A horribly sad situation.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My friend had an absolutely horrific experience with the gun. I'm still not quite sure what went wrong, but I think it was a combination of a very sharp horse and my friend being very upset. The vet had her hold the horse and unfortunatley when he shot him the horse flipped out and the bullet hit but didnt put him to sleep. There was an horrific injury sadly and it took more than half an hour for them to be able to sedate him and finish the procedure :(

Very, very traumatic for all concerned! So if you go for the gun have them sedated before hand and dont hold them yourself, and ideall use a "knacker man" not the vet!

This is why people like me never, ever, ever, use a vet to shoot a horse. They just don't have enough practice. I use the hunt or a man who makes his living shooting animals.

I've had an extremely sharp horse shot, it's why he was being shot, he was freaked out by going blind and had extreme reactions to things. The hunt man saw what was going to happen, pushed me away and shot him in the same instant. Already dead, he completed his intended rear and cartwheeled over backwards and crashed to the floor. It was a bit traumatic for the rest of us but for him it was the only way to go as he was terrified of vets.

Most shot horses go very peacefully, of you can ignore the 'violence' of the shot itself. I always choose it for mine.

OP sorry you are having to make this decision.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Sadly, this is not uncommon. My vet witnessed similar on a few occasions whist she was a student. As she says, it's not something that you can ever forget.

My vet practice now only use injections, they have all handed in their guns. IMHO, if well sedated beforehand it is very peaceful. It would be much trickier for a needle or vet phobic horse though.

Whichever method and whichever operator you use, make sure that they are very experienced and capable in equine pts, and all should go as well as it can. My vets also organise the collection afterwards, so that is one fewer awful phone call to make.

Sorry that it has come to this time for you, it's always a very hard time even when it's the only right thing to do by the horse.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Another one recommending Giles at equine and pet services. When I had my own yard he cycled past on his way to work every morning and always stopped for a chat, and to give the horses a scratch. When the time came to have my horse of a lifetime PTS, Giles came and got him and was so completely wonderful.

He made the whole awful experience so much easier, and still remembers the horses name when we bump into each other.

Sending you hugs xxx

It is nice to see someone else see Giles the way we did, he really did make the whole experaince a lot easier after the trawma of Grafton experiance. He showed us the incinerator as we wanted to see his place before we sent any animal there after the last experiance with G* and he showed us and told us the process etc, even showed us all the casket of horses cremated that were never picked up. Some as long as 8 years but he keeps them all , he said

* I have too they were a loved pet and I owe it to the animal and the owners till they are strong enough to collect them.* he knew every casket by name and all the names of the horses up there on the raised platform. Now that to me is someone who cares, not like someone who did not even remember doing the cremation after 3 weeks.

Giles collects any day any time and as you deal with him alone and only him, he treats the horse/cat or dog, with compasion and dignity. I felt Melody was in good hands when she went there a little while later, so my livery used him 4 months later and their horse JJ is still down with Giles as they cannot collect him as it still hurts but will soon.

Lovely Guy, making the whole sad traumatic experiance easier for horse and owner.

Last edited:
X

xspiralx

That's awful - and something I was absolutely dreading beforehand as mine could be very sharp too.

For that reason I planned it like a military operation - even down to taking him over to the planned area the day before and doing some 'practice runs'. Couldn't sedate due to the vet phobic thing (or I would have done) but he did have a whole tube of sedalin beforehand, and I used a knackerman as I wanted someone very experienced. I was also able to stay calm right up until the end - luckily, as there was nobody else who could or would have dealt with him - and for his sake it was important not to get upset.

I do think either method has the potential to go wrong, and you have to choose the best option for you, knowing the horse and the people involved. And I think that putting a plan in place to try and ensure it all goes as well as possible is a good idea too. In fact that was one of the things that meant I stayed as calm as I did, because I was focusing the whole time on doing what I needed to do next to make sure it all went ok. Only once I'd walked away for the last time did I break down.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's the hardest decision ever - I still remember some of mine from years ago too well, and I have a couple more for whom I have to make the decision soon (I'm putting it off as it's not urgent yet.) It's a very personal decision, but I have had Gillies (excellent), local hunt kennels (also excellent), my vet (by injection) and one of his colleagues (by humane killer - ghastly!) If done by injection they MUST be tranquilised first - the lethal injection can have rather slow, nasty results.

I don't want anyone making undue profit from the death of a horse of mine so I'd go for Gillies or local hunt kennels if time allows.