Timewaster or not?

navaho

Visit site
Feeling very cheesed off this morning! About 2 weeks ago we had a girl come to look at our yearling we had for sale, she seemed really nice & very very keen to have him. Unfortunately she cant have him for a month & offered to pay for his keep till she could have him, which we agreed to after some negotiating, along side also paying a deposit. Now the girl was meant to do a bank transfer to cover his livery & the deposit, which was fine, i do bank transfers all the time & they usually go through instantly but i do appreciate sometimes with a new person it can take a couple of days to go through. She text last Monday to say the money had left her bank, well as you can guess nothing has come through into my bank yet & its a week later. Now call me skeptical but in all honesty im thinking shes just a timewaster, ive tried to be nice to her about this & have said she should contact her bank as the money really should be in by now, ive also now told her if the deposit isnt in my bank this morning that she will have to bring it over today as ive got someone else who is keen to come & see him, i cant afford to loose out on a sale, as im sure you all appreciate selling anything at the moment is difficult let alone trying to sell a yearling which is nigh on impossible.
Anyway, i guess my question is do some bank transfer take this long, i dont want to upset her if none of this is her fault.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
she hasnt got the money in my opinion and is wasting your time. I would simply say that the deposit needs to be with you by 3pm today otherwise you will be allowing the other person to view.

swampdonkey

Visit site
she might be telling the truth, when I sold my mare the buyer transfered by bank transfer on the monday and it wasn't in my bank until friday. Some banks take longer than others I think.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
As dancing queen has said, it wouldn't take this long, so she is either lying it the money has gone into the wrong account, I've heard if that happening too!

animal

Visit site
I don't know if anybody would intend to get to the transferring money stage when they decide they are a time waster tbh? Most time wasters you just loose contact with, but if the girl is texting you and vice versa, it's a bit different.

BigRed

Visit site
Texting is a nightmare - CALL the girl and tell her you don't have the promised deposit, in the meantime there is nothing wrong with showing the horse to someone else, who may well have the money to take him there and then. First come, first served.

Puppy

Visit site
she might be telling the truth, when I sold my mare the buyer transfered by bank transfer on the monday and it wasn't in my bank until friday. Some banks take longer than others I think.

I agree.

I recently sold a saddle to a friend and her money showed in my account straight away.

I sold some rugs to another friend and it took at least a week. (Both bank transfers btw)

If she's texting you telling you she's done it, then I wouldn't think she's a time waster.

navaho

Visit site
I don't know if anybody would intend to get to the transferring money stage when they decide they are a time waster tbh? Most time wasters you just loose contact with, but if the girl is texting you and vice versa, it's a bit different.

Thats what part of me is thinking as well, but then again im just wondering if she really has transferred it & is just stringing me along till she has got the money. I do seem to attract weird timewasters though, i had one string me along for 2 months before she admitted she didnt have the cash.....ahh maybe im just to gullible!

navaho

Visit site
I agree.

I recently sold a saddle to a friend and her money showed in my account straight away.

I sold some rugs to another friend and it took at least a week. (Both bank transfers btw)

If she's texting you telling you she's done it, then I wouldn't think she's a time waster.

Well thats good to know, the trouble is how long do i give her? She said she set the transfer up on the Thursday & the money left her bank on the Monday (which i thought was weird, but maybe some banks work differently).

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I recently did a transfer to someone on a Friday and they got the money by close of day Wednesday. They are not instant by any means and a building society could take longer if she has an account with one?

Tammytoo

Visit site
Why hasn't she contacted her bank to find out where the money has gone?

She or her bank may well have got the details wrong and it's gone elsewhere, but her bank will be able to get the money back. In the meantime you should not stop people viewing your yearling, providing you let them know someone else is interested but messing you around.

If another buyer offers you cash on the spot I would grab it! Let your "timewaster" know what you are doing - it may well be that she suddenly comes up with some money if she's genuine.

BonneMaman

Visit site
I believe it depends on the bank/building society but I also believe that you should be able to call your bank and they should be able to see the money coming.

I know that some building socs can take 5 working days!

I know my HSBC bank to another bank takes a couple of hours!!

Call them and ask. Good luck.

riding_high

Visit site
you could phone your bank up and ask if they can see it in the system, they should be able to give you a better idea of time from her bank (ask her what bank she uses).

tell her that you will allow others to view the horse and will sell it if someone comes up with the cash there and then, that way you are giving her a choice of either paying you direct or letting it go and at least then she knows that you know she's possibly wasting time!

Ibblebibble

Visit site
I agree.

Bank transfers take hours.

not always, I've had one from my mum which took 2 days.

i would talk to your bank and see if they can see anything in the offing but if not i would let the girl know that as there is no sign of the money and the market being as it is at the moment that you'll be letting other people come to see the yearling. She'll either pull her finger out and get you some cash or you'll never hear from her again!

ellis9905

Visit site
i bank with alliance and leicester ( part of santander) and asked them to clarify the bank transfer system, after some of my payments happened instant and others taking days.

the first time i pay a new person it cannot be transfered instantly and will take the slower 3/4 working days. however any subsequent payments to said person will go by instant transfer.

however i can also only make one instant payment per day!!

FriendlyCob

Visit site
Just on a FYI front- as someone who's worked in a banking/ cash office situation for a while- it can take up to 5 wokring days for funds to show. It would be worth finding out if she's same bank as you or not.

But I would defo pick the phone up to her and give her the deadline- if she wants the horse she'll be all over the bank to sort it!

good luck x

MissChaos

Visit site
Phone her and discuss, let other people view - but BOTH of you need to speak to your banks and have each other's names and account numbers ready.

Bank transfers under the Faster Payments system are advertised as usually taking two hours. This is not a hard and fast rule and while I'm not sure what the ultimate limit is, it's not uncommon for banks to hold on to a payment themselves before releasing it into the recipient's account later to retain interest.

Speaking from experience, when I was buying my new boy, I transferred the money straight after vetting and it should have been a faster payment, i.e. done and dusted within two hours. On speaking to my bank hours later after it was apparently AWOL, they could tell me the exact time it left my account, the exact time it was received by their fraud checking apartment (not a personal issue :D), the exact time it was cleared by their fraud checking department and the exact time it was sent to the seller's bank. All we knew then was that the account details had been checked as correct and the money was in the other bank's hands. A call had to be made to the other bank explaining the urgent circumstances and asking them to investigate where it was in the system, after which it was immediately released by a very level headed and sympathetic-sounding chap and everyone was happy. If they hadn't been pushed to release it and had the circumstances explained, it would have sat there serving only the bank over the weekend and quite possibly longer.

vroutledge

Visit site
Depending on her bank sometimes transfers can take 5-10 working days not all banks offer quick transfers unless you pay a fee. If you ring your bank and she is telling the truth they should be able to see if there is some money pending to come into your account.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Depending on her bank sometimes transfers can take 5-10 working days not all banks offer quick transfers unless you pay a fee.

So what is all the information we've had in the news lately then about transfers being almost immediate - which include cheques etc?

Last edited:

michelleyork

Visit site
Depends on if she has used the system before and what bank she is with. No doubt, she would have had to set you up as a 'New Recipient', and that always takes longer than normal to process payments.

Just either text/call her and tell her the money is not yet in your account and could she chase it up with her bank and get back to you by the end of the day today - make sure you give time scales on getting back to you!

BlueCakes

Visit site
She may not be lying.

TBH, people who have long a55 stories like that and don't just look at the horse decide they want it, give you the money and leave with it, I would think they are as timewaster anyway.

However, as someone who works with bank transfers day in day out, they can take a long time.

My partner sent me a transfer and while regular BAC's transfers should be three working days. His money took over a week to reach my account and was more like ten days.

You should ask the girl for her receipt or for a copy/ scan of her bank statement. (Just a photocopy and block out everything else!) She should have some proof that she has sent the money to you.

Explain to her the situation and see what her response is.

Bank Transfers can take longer than you think.

flyingfeet

Visit site
OK here's the lowdown

FPS = Faster Payments Service - not all banks are in it, but the ones that are can do instant transfers. They don't like as don't hold on to you money

BACS = Bankers' Automated Clearing Services - Free: used to be all we had - takes 4 working days where the banks took the money and held onto it making a profit on the funds in transit. If not on FPS this will be used

CHAPS = Clearing House Automated Payment System - Charged £15 or so. Same day transfer

There are others for foreign payments, but I'll exclude!!

So I'd ask her for a copy of her statement - my buyer that did a transfer sent me a screen shot of her online account

navaho

Visit site
Well the money never arrived in my bank & ive given her one last chance against my better judgement, she was give till today to come over with the money, she was due at 11, so i text her a little while ago to check she was coming..."something has come up can we do this afternoon"....then i got another asking if she could "come on the weekend"! I give up, ive now text her & told her its today or not at all & if she doesnt turn up then he will be going back up for sale.
So all in all, the answer to my question is YES she is a timewaster.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
So what is all the information we've had in the news lately then about transfers being almost immediate - which include cheques etc?

A load of hot air basically!

Transfering money from all of my banks takes at least 3 days - even when its going to another of my own accounts! They're called instant access accounts too, but the only way to get the money is to transfer from my online accounts to my high st bank account, and it takes a few days!

I recently paid my next account with a next voucher and even that took three days to go through!

The banks are just conning interest out of us, imo.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Well the money never arrived in my bank & ive given her one last chance against my better judgement, she was give till today to come over with the money, she was due at 11, so i text her a little while ago to check she was coming..."something has come up can we do this afternoon"....then i got another asking if she could "come on the weekend"! I give up, ive now text her & told her its today or not at all & if she doesnt turn up then he will be going back up for sale.
So all in all, the answer to my question is YES she is a timewaster.

Gah! What a pain. Why do people have to be like this? Hope that the other person likes the horse. I wouldn't even bother with the girl if she arrives with the deposit - she will be the same when it comes to paying the rest, its not worth it!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I know it's not what you want to hear, but thank heavens for timewasters is what I say! This very same thing happened to Kal's previous owner - if the girl who initially said she wanted him had not basically held up the sale we wouldn't have found him :D.

P