Tiny children competing

Cowpony

Visit site
Just musing really, over the summer I've stewarded at lots of competitions - showjumping, cross-country and showing - and I've seen a lot of really young/small children in the mini classes. A lot of them aren't big or strong enough to control their ponies themselves, so are on the lead rein, which is fine. But many of them don't have a stable position and are held in place over jumps by their parents, or even tumble off. The fallers are then put back in the saddle and continue round the course. Some get scared and cry their way round, others have so little to do with the control of the pony that they are looking around at other things rather than where they are going or the jump in front of them.

I didn't learn to ride until I was 10 and was therefore expected to be in control of my own pony when I competed, so I've never experienced the "ride before I could walk" route. Is the above the experience of those of you who did learn to ride very young, or is this a modern phenomenon? Did it do you good to get used to shows at an early age, and enhance your riding? I'm just wondering why parents put themselves and their children through this? From my observations it doesn't seem to do a lot for the children, but perhaps it does improve their riding/motivation/competition skills over time?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's a nice day out for pony and rider. It's a learning experience too, the preparation, the anticipation, winning, losing, being mediocre, it's is all good stuff. It doesn't matter that they aren't good riders. They're just out there, supported by family and meeting other kids that do the same hobby.

Heck, many adult riders wouldn't compete if you had to be any good or even in control, to take part.

Kadastorm

Visit site
I was saw a teeny tiny tot on a lead rein in a bottom hole show jumping ring. The pony was jumping over them so the poor kid was being flung forward, caught by the parent and put back on again at each fence. Eventually the poor kid began crying and 4 of us were yelling to them to stop the round as it was dangerous. Seeing his head flung about like that was awful. I don't agree with them going out competing until they are stable enough to sit in the saddle by themselves and have begun steering and stopping.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have two sons (7 &5). William has been riding since he was 4 and is competant at rising trot. He also rides independently off the lead rein when we go out riding. Up til a fortnight ago we'd just been doing the lead rein classes but he wanted to do a first ridden as he thought he could. Not one to dampen his spirits I let him but went in the ring some distance away as security. They were doing really well until they changed the rein trotting, I could see April getting a but strong, she put her head down, saddle shot up neck, small buck and child went splat. Grabbed pony, repositioned saddle and threw him back on then stayed by his side. My point is that children will not learn unless they are encouraged to push to the next stage. He said that he'd do lead rein until he'd had more practice!!!

George on the other hand has barely ridden but is keen to do what older brother is doing. (I haven't made either of my boys ride, they've asked to do so). I can't say yes to one and no to the other. He wants to do the lead rein classes and at the local shows that we go to that is absolutely fine that he holds the handle of the saddle pad and I hold onto him when trotting. He's having fun and learning, at the end of the day isn't that what it's all about?

William has even met a girlfriend through going to shows. LOL

blitznbobs

Visit site
I rode from 2 and loved shows ... The clothes the plaited pony and the fun of it all - and if I came home with a rosette I was more than happy even if it was a special... Which my mum convinced me was better than winning ...

It was about fun and if you won that was a bonus -- a great lesson to learn early on...

Cowpony

Visit site
I have two sons (7 &5). William has been riding since he was 4 and is competant at rising trot. He also rides independently off the lead rein when we go out riding. Up til a fortnight ago we'd just been doing the lead rein classes but he wanted to do a first ridden as he thought he could. Not one to dampen his spirits I let him but went in the ring some distance away as security. They were doing really well until they changed the rein trotting, I could see April getting a but strong, she put her head down, saddle shot up neck, small buck and child went splat. Grabbed pony, repositioned saddle and threw him back on then stayed by his side. My point is that children will not learn unless they are encouraged to push to the next stage. He said that he'd do lead rein until he'd had more practice!!!

George on the other hand has barely ridden but is keen to do what older brother is doing. (I haven't made either of my boys ride, they've asked to do so). I can't say yes to one and no to the other. He wants to do the lead rein classes and at the local shows that we go to that is absolutely fine that he holds the handle of the saddle pad and I hold onto him when trotting. He's having fun and learning, at the end of the day isn't that what it's all about?

William has even met a girlfriend through going to shows. LOL

How sweet!

I can see the point of lead rein classes - it's lovely for the kids to compete in a safe environment with an adult to control the pony. I think I'm more mystified about the benefits of jumping in the situations I've described.

misskk88

Visit site
I don't agree with pushy parents forcing kids into the ring, against their will (I guess there must be a horsey version of these pushy beauty pagaent mums somewhere!!). A child is a child and it should be an enjoyable experience for them. Of course children need encouragement to progess, but when you see how tiny some are, it makes me question how they could possibly comprehend that kind of decision! I do however very much see the point of lead rein classes or allowing support from a parent. They may be young but if they are keen and willing to give it a go, then it is great to do so!

We have two particular young kids at our yard. One is now jumping by herself, but little sis is competitive and wants to keep up. While she is balanced at walk, trot and canter, still needs a helping hand from mum. She is stable for the most part but mum keeps a hand on her leg and neck strap is available just in case! I think mum holding the leg is just as much to stop the little mite aiming to kick mum or pony to go faster!! At least she is enjoying herself though!

be positive

Visit site
I have seen the same, lead rein classes on the flat are one thing, some fun doing games or handy pony classes can get the kids interested and are fairly safe for the rider if they just hold onto the saddle and the pony is led by the adult but I cannot see the point of jumping until the child has some control over themselves, they don't need to be totally independent but should be secure enough to sit a jump, no need for jumping position, to actually have to be held on while they are in tears is pointless and seems it is the parents being far too pushy rather than the children actually enjoying taking part.
I think jumping should be left until they are riding well in walk and trot, can balance generally, no need to be perfect but have a basic position that gives them security but like so many things nowadays everyone wants to progress too quickly.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I do somewhat agree with OP. In my PC days there was lead rein handy pony, gymkhanas and equitation, but not jumping.

I did do lead rein jumping classes with my stepson, but he was 8 when he started and his first pony was a whizzy 4 yr old that needed me hanging onto it while she learned too. However id done loads and loads of pole work with them before progressing to jumping, so stepson was quite balanced. After a year on the lead, when pony was five and had a year of getting used to rallies and shows they came off the lead rein (I just couldn't run fast enough to keep up anymore!) and we're fine.

I don't really enjoy seeing tiny kids on small ponies jumping until they are a bit bigger and stronger, until then they really should be doing mainly games and rallies until they're more capable, for the pony's sake mainly!

twiggy2

Visit site
my girls both used to roar with laughter each time the pony went over a jump, they would be hanging on to a monkey strap at the front of the saddle and be getting flung about all over the place, we only did one show when they were on lead rein and it was the 2''3' class they came first and second out of a class of adults and kids some of whom had been riding and competing for years (we had only had their first pony ten days) I was shattered though as there were only 3 in the jump off and 2 were mine and both on lead rein -never fell off till they were off lead rein though. some kids love it and you just have to go with it

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have seen the same, lead rein classes on the flat are one thing, some fun doing games or handy pony classes can get the kids interested and are fairly safe for the rider if they just hold onto the saddle and the pony is led by the adult but I cannot see the point of jumping until the child has some control over themselves, they don't need to be totally independent but should be secure enough to sit a jump, no need for jumping position, to actually have to be held on while they are in tears is pointless and seems it is the parents being far too pushy rather than the children actually enjoying taking part.
I think jumping should be left until they are riding well in walk and trot, can balance generally, no need to be perfect but have a basic position that gives them security but like so many things nowadays everyone wants to progress too quickly.

I agree totally, in fact I can't see the point of lead rein one day events even. Except as a money spinner for the organisers.
Small children get tired very quickly. It is fine for them if they are really keen, but it should be kept fun and low key. Unless you have a saint for a pony, I don't think a child is strong enough to really control the pony until the age of 9 or 10, or be effective. We were lucky that I borrowed a shetland pony that would only walk or trot, never canter, so I could send my daughter off across the field, but it was the pony in charge.

I also agree that jumping with a very small child is dangerous. If they fall off it is the equivalent of falling off the top of a kitchen worktop and the forces to their heads of jumping and the child's head being thrown back and forward are too much, I would think.

Cowpony

Visit site
my girls both used to roar with laughter each time the pony went over a jump, they would be hanging on to a monkey strap at the front of the saddle and be getting flung about all over the place, we only did one show when they were on lead rein and it was the 2''3' class they came first and second out of a class of adults and kids some of whom had been riding and competing for years (we had only had their first pony ten days) I was shattered though as there were only 3 in the jump off and 2 were mine and both on lead rein -never fell off till they were off lead rein though. some kids love it and you just have to go with it

:eek3: You did 2'3" with kids on the lead rein???? I think you should have won the rosettes! :D

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I think a lot of it is down to the leader to be honest. Some of them almost ignore the small person until it's too late or just don't have a clue how to help them.
I did L/R showing from the age of two "sit still, look pretty" and was having lessons at that point as well - have dim memories of doing walk/trot/canter circles on the lunge.
By the time I was 5 I used to dismount pony in the showing ring, and run off to do the gymkhana - showing was BORING :D
My dad and his best friend (who I preferred for gymkhana and jumping as pony went better) had both perfected the how to hold small child on whilst running, where they held onto the back of the saddle and back of jodh's. I can't ever remember falling off and was pretty competitive by an early age, competing off lead rein at the age of six and continuing on.
Yes the lead rein ponies were reasonably saintly but they all had their quirks, and my first off lead rein pony was a proper madam when she wanted to be - certainly not point and kick.
BUT:
I had regular lessons from very young - and chose to do them, I had a choice aged 7 to continue riding lessons or gymnastics as the days changed so they clashed, I chose the horses.
My parents were pretty careful about what they put me on. The ponies were small and quite importantly narrow so you could actually get your legs around them.
I wasn't over horsed so there was no sticking me on a 16hh to do the 3 and under gymkhana as I saw someone try and do the other day (although age 6 I did jump my mum's TB, but she really was point and go).
Safety kit even back in the 80's - always had a decent hat and a bp for competing, if you're trying to get a small bean started why wouldn't you pad them up as much as possible?
Done sensibly I really don't see a problem (and yes I am a mum, and my 1yo son "rides" the shetland at home... ok is supported by nanny while grandad leads, giggling his head off).

minesadouble

Visit site
I run a local show and will not hold Lead Rein jumping as I too have seen the 'win at all costs' parents and their terrified little jockeys. We are having a lead rein WHP this weekend but it is more a token gesture as the poles will be on the ground as some parents just cannot be trusted to put their kids best interests first.
The majority of parents are sensible but there are always a few who just seem determined to go home with a red rosette!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Lead rein jumping is one of my biggest pet peeves. Kids bouncing around and trying to grip on while pony is knocking poles right left and centre trying to jump from walk/awkward trot.....no ,not my cup of tea & I nobody will convince me otherwise!

lurcherlu

Visit site
I have a 4 year old horse and a four year old daughter , I compete in mi I classes (mixed ages ) and get beaten by my daughters pre school and school friends hahah that's my only issue being beaten by 3 and 4 year old kids who are braver than me

honetpot

Visit site
I used to take my eldest daughter gymkhanaing every weekend in the summer, when from about five upwards, we would only go as fast as she was happy with and nearly always came last. Some of the dads were really competitive but I would say to her it was only for fun. When she got to about six when we almost won a race, and I said if we had just been a bit quicker we would have won, 'but mummy' she said 'its only for fun'.
I have done the grabbing the child by the leg, three year old hanging upside down in one hand whilst hanging on to the pony with the other. My youngest daughter is a madam and rode from three, and would sit and scream if she did not get on the pony and did PC camp at four just to shut her up and expected to spend most of the day sat down on the field, no chance. It all depends on the child and if the parents listen to what they are saying and having a pony that will put up with the odd tantrum.

Lolo

Visit site
Some children are more 'grown up' than others too. Like, there's a 7yo on this thread just coming off the lead rein, but at the same age my little sister did her first solo XC round. It just happened she was physically ready and was on a pony who was small enough for her to actually ride (11.2hh welshy). In comparison, I was 9 and wasn't ready to go off and do that for another year in terms of both confidence and ability.

But I do hate the children being jerked about all over the place because they aren't physically mature enough to cope with the pony's movements.

caileag

Visit site
I dislike the often seen scenario of small child on pony being lead at trot up to jump. Handler jumps over, pony hangs back then makes big cat leap, child inevitably goes flying backwards. What is the point in that? At least keep a hand on them.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I have seen some worrying riders on ponies. Some very fast ponies with little tiny riders going over jumps and their necks get a terrible jerk. I bet later in life they suffer with neck pain.

gmw

Visit site
Lead rein jumping is wrong. What is the point if they cant steer their pony and adopt some sort of jumping position? If a child falls off in affiliated sj classes then they have to leave the arena unmounted. Ponies cat leaping childs head thrown backwards unbelievable. I have seen some with the lead rein attached to the bit and ponies mouths scragged in the process. Some people will do anything for a rosette.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Lead rein jumping is thankfully not something we have locally. I think it is dire. My understanding was that lead rein classes were an opportunity to allow a child to demonstrate its riding ability, while having the 'safety net' of the leader. So many people see it as an opportunity to sit a child on a pony and drag the pair of them round the ring!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Lead rein jumping is thankfully not something we have locally. I think it is dire. My understanding was that lead rein classes were an opportunity to allow a child to demonstrate its riding ability, while having the 'safety net' of the leader. So many people see it as an opportunity to sit a child on a pony and drag the pair of them round the ring!

This.

I recently stewarded and scribed at a local show . . . two horror stories:

a) 15-month-old child "riding" a shetland in a (big) showing class . . . poor wee dot got (understandably) fed up with both doing her show and waiting for all the others . . . ended up curled up in a ball on the FLOOR in front of the line up screaming blue murder

b) little boy doing a dressage class (an Intro) on the lead rein . . . fair enough, except that the poor lad couldn't even sit to the trot, much less actually "ride" . . . Mum put in a gallant effort with all the trot work, but as far as the child went, you'd have been better off strapping a teddy bear to the pony because it would have been lighter and not banged/bounced about on the pony's back as much . . . not the child's fault at all, but he had no business trotting in a school, much less in a dressage competition.

I know I sound like a real killjoy . . . but unless and until a child can actually have SOME affect on a pony, they shouldn't be competing - not even on the lead rein.

P

showpony

Visit site
Ive two smallies, Mini is 7 and really since she has been 4 has been off the lead rein - obviously on ponies that she could control.. only shows she ever did at that age we with me leading her over pretty much poles on the ground... Mini 2 isnt that fussed but has done a small yard show over the tiniest xpoles on the lead and we came back to a walk before the fence so pony literally just stepped over it...
tbh its as nearly more cringy looking at kids same age as my Mini 1 hauling out of ponies mouths trying to balance over fences over a 60/70cms course with zero technique or style..

windand rain

Visit site
I do think it depends on the pony I once was at an indoor arena when a small boy on a large tb shaped pony was catapulted into the arena pony wearing a gag, standing and running martingale and a grackle nose band the pony shot round the arena with this probably 6 year old on board when the bell went he went hell for leather at the first jump jumped it by a mile and the boy shot over its head it took mum 20 minutes to catch the pony she then proceeded to leg him back up to go through the whole process again and again until the organisers told them to leave the arena n hour and a half later. Daft thing was they entered the next height too and were about to do the same when the organisers made a new rule if you fell off you had to leave the arena

flirtygerty

Visit site
Personally I find older kids 'riding' ponies using spurs and whips constantly more upsetting, I cater at an EC and had a very excited two year old little boy at the van, jumping up and down, having just 'jumped' his sisters pony, (a pole on the ground)
The few LR classes I have seen, most of the children seem bored, the leader taking them round, but competing aside, how many young kids love being around ponies, my now four year old grandson has loved sitting on my horses (largest 17 2, smallest 14 hh) since he was 18 months old, I think he is now old enough to be getting lessons, but it's always been his choice to ride, poo pick, throw straw around, the little ones should be encouraged, not forced because it's what the parents want

rara007

Visit site
I did indeed, the pony belonged to rara007 on here many years ago an amazing pony that is worth her weight in gold, she is out on loan and will never be sold

That she is- here's us when i was 7.
harryjumping171102016.jpg
Bloss.jpg

and 8
Ponies009.jpg
Ponies011.jpg

RainbowDash

Visit site
I have seen some horrors in my time but there's a wee lad at our yard on a very good pony who's worth her weight in gold (he's 6 now and can do rising trot and small jumps without his mum) they have been to a show and he threw a tantrum because he couldn't do the round off lead. He's a cracking little jockey and goes out on hacks with his mum and her horse.

Another young lady at our yard was doing XC at 7 - now 14 and needs a spare room just for her ribbons.

My older daughter (8) has been riding now for three weeks - now working on rising trot and control (we have a 6 year old Shetland on loan) she asked to learn but we're taking our time - she was nervous of big animals but now confidently leads a full up Shetland. She just giggles when we practice her trot on lead and it makes me smile as she is enjoying herself. After all that's what it all about :).

In short, for capable children shows are wonderful but to risk your child's safety or confidence for your own vanity is soo wrong :(