Tips for competing on a hot day please

Follysmum

Visit site
Lots of sloppy foods or soaked hay would be good to start with. All mine have a good bucket or two of really sloppy fast fibres drinks. They love it and I know they are being hydrated well especially when it’s hot.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Try to find a shady area to park or at least park in a way so that the sun isn't shining into your horsebox

Keep warm ups as short as you can so you aren't using up his energy before your classes

Give rest breaks and offer water frequently

longer term, try to work him at home sometimes when it is hot so he gets used to it, but that is probably one for next year ;)

Hope you have a good day :)

zaminda

Visit site
I have started using Saracen recovery mash. It is fab and really lifts them. I also keep warm up very short, and would potentially look at doing less classes if showjumping or going steadier xc. I have been known to downgrade to a shorter distance when doing endurance on a non Arab!

flying_high

Visit site
Sponge and plant spray horse frequently before and after riding (assuming can’t hose).

Apple bobbing in water buckets to encourage drinking.

Shorter warm up snd maybe less classes see how horse feels.

I’m lucky my lorry always stays cool in horse area.

rara007

Visit site
As above- electrolytes and decent fitness before hand. If it’s like now so no one is really acclimatised just do the minimum warm up you need. Depends where you are but wash the horse off as often as you can, just before getting on, between warm up and going in the ring if your horse would tolerate that and as you get back to the box. Loosen the girth and jump off if they’re puffing more than normal after. Be careful of yourself too- my LW sports horse is fine in heat until it’s pretty hot but I’m much tubbier and less fit so it’s actually me that’s the limiting factor. I’m taking our HW cob out to dressage later as I can’t face the disparity of our fitness in this heat with the horse...!

Leo Walker

Visit site
We've been out today and it was fine. We did pretty much no warm up and in between phases we stripped her off, sponged her down and let her stand with her ice cool rug on. Shes fine drinking away from home so she was offered cool water on a regular basis. She did much better with the heat than I did!