Tips for correct canter lead

SEL

Visit site
I'm having an issue with baby cob and right canter. I'm on the fence as to whether it's him or me. He did have a tweak at the end of Jan but was given the all clear by vet and physio but since then I've lost right canter. He'll happily give me left canter (despite the tweak being to right stifle) & is fine both leads in the field and on the lunge

My lorry is at the garage until Easter so I can't get eyes on the ground for 2 weeks.

I know I'm wonky so could be me but it's not usually the rein I'm worse on.

Before I find a new vet (ex Chiltern) what are your go-to for persuading a horse to strike off on the correct lead? I want a play over the weekend in the field to see if it's just a training issue or if there's still a niggle.

Doesn't need to be pretty, just effective.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Bend neck slightly to the outside before you ask for strike off to allow space for that inside shoulder to come forward. And if you are not in a school to make use of the corner then make sure you are already turning to the inside as you transition and during the transition so that mentally they are thinking in that direction and solidly anticipating their balance to go in that direction iyswim.

So clear turn to the inside with slight flexion to the outside.

Orangina

Visit site
I have had success with timing when you ask for the canter (when all the usual tricks have failed). So when your outside fore hits the ground that's the exact moment you want to ask (as long as pony is responsive enough to aids!)

SEL

Visit site
Bend neck slightly to the outside before you ask for strike off to allow space for that inside shoulder to come forward. And if you are not in a school to make use of the corner then make sure you are already turning to the inside as you transition and during the transition so that mentally they are thinking in that direction and solidly anticipating their balance to go in that direction iyswim.

So clear turn to the inside with slight flexion to the outside.
Thanks. I have a school set out in a field but I think there is somewhere dry enough I can use the fence line / corner.

OH will be up tomorrow so poles also can be carted around.

SEL

Visit site
Ride across the diagonal and ask as you turn the corner.
I tried that earlier and got an impressive counter canter!! He was a tangle of legs at the actual transition then sorted himself onto left lead.

He's green so I'm caught between rewarding the actual transition when I want it but not THAT transition....

SEL

Visit site
I have had success with timing when you ask for the canter (when all the usual tricks have failed). So when your outside fore hits the ground that's the exact moment you want to ask (as long as pony is responsive enough to aids!)
Probably a bit too green for that level of accuracy. Plus cob trot.... The pony can trot at speed.

But along with DabDabs point above I'm going to try and work on my timing.

94lunagem

Visit site
I would also see if you get any better results with walk to canter. If he has a big cob trot, it might be he is struggling to control it for that lead, and from walk is a more controlled transition.

j1ffy

Visit site
Following with interest as I have the same problem. I've tried all the above suggestions and more (leg yield to canter; counter-shoulder-in to canter; various body positioning and flexions) but with no success.

I've now got the vet coming in a couple of weeks to take a look, starting with a back x-ray as Diane Thurman-Baker sat on Chilli last week and felt he was very blocked through the middle of his back. Sigh...I'm at the point now where I sort of hope there is something physical as I'm at a complete dead-end schooling wise! On the plus D T-B did say he's beautifully schooled ;)

I hope your boy is fine and that you find a solution, please do let us know if you do!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have a really annoying habit of looking to the outside when I am on the right rein, so have had this issue on and off with different horses over the years..... :rolleyes: It does become a bit of a cycle, where I get very tight because I think I am going to mess it up, but I do find that trying to keep relaxed and remembering to glance over my right shoulder really helps.

SEL

Visit site
Is he strong enough or educated enough to do walk to canter?
No.

I've been trying to teach him walk to canter on the lunge. I taught the Appy exactly that and she'll still do it on voice command even 3 years into retirement. He just doesn't "get" it which I think it a strength issue. But I do think cob trot doesn't help. It's his favourite pace and we get great scores in intro because of it. Canter is more "out hunting" than dressage 😁

He lost a lot of muscle tone out of work with his tweak. Just 3 weeks off with turnout so no box rest which shouldn't have led to so much drop off, but he's also had a tapeworm burden so could be gut playing into the mix too. Or could be me being useless at this whole riding properly stuff again!!

I have physio for me with his physio next week so will have a chat with her. She might need to yank me straight.

SEL

Visit site
@nikicb now you've got me thinking. I bet I'm looking to the left. Just where I've been doing transitions in my field I need to make sure we're not going to crash into the electric fence so although I'm not conscious of it I wonder if I'm looking to the outside. That's one to double check tomorrow.

@j1ffy I'm sorry to hear about Chilli. The trouble with being blocked through the back is whether it's the back itself or something else giving them a sore back. I have a suspicion it'll be vet out for me to check that stifle he tweaked. If nothing else to put my mind at rest that I'm not pushing on with a sore horse. If no right canter lead by Monday that's my plan. If it turns out I'm just riding badly then that's upside!! You on the other hand will only be riding brilliantly so I'm not surprised you're heading for the vet ☹️

IrishMilo

Visit site
What do you do when he strikes the wrong lead?

I bring back to trot/walk immediately, and then ask again. You have to be super clear that left is wrong and he doesn't get to run through the transition either!

Goldenstar

Visit site
There’s loads of ways to approach and it depends on the horse
My go to is to teach the verbal cue ccccccanter using as long a cccccc as I need combined with the aid. My go to is to teach the transition from walk it’s a more natural step and it gives you more time .

ihatework

Visit site
If I’m honest, any time I’ve had a horse that struggles with a lead it’s down to uneven loading / straightness - from either wonky horse and/or rider.

If it hasn’t improved after focusing on the rider and also straightening exercises for the horse then it’s usually a physical niggle I’m afraid.

I’d be inclined to get a vet check sooner rather than later as you don’t want to compound the wrong patterns.

Orangina

Visit site
Probably a bit too green for that level of accuracy. Plus cob trot.... The pony can trot at speed.

But along with DabDabs point above I'm going to try and work on my timing.
When the children are doing it I just tell them to do their rising trot and the next tome they are due to rise, don't rise and ask for canter in that moment instead. Easier than concentrating on the feet when you are also concentrating on a million other things too! You could also try very slightly loading your weight into your outside stirrup but make sure your are looking to the inside.

Adding- I am not as experienced as a lot of people here so please feel free to ignore, I just really enjoy researching when we end up with problems and love looking at the biomechanics of horses and the movement patterns etc.

Palindrome

Visit site
Similar to what Dabdab said that you need a firmer contact on the outside rein.
Also, improve the walk and trot with exercises and lateral work, it will help him get stronger and in turn improve the canter.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
If I’m honest, any time I’ve had a horse that struggles with a lead it’s down to uneven loading / straightness - from either wonky horse and/or rider.

If it hasn’t improved after focusing on the rider and also straightening exercises for the horse then it’s usually a physical niggle I’m afraid.

I’d be inclined to get a vet check sooner rather than later as you don’t want to compound the wrong patterns.
That is my current worry. In the past 4 weeks he's trotted up for vet / physio / farrier who all say he's fine. Plus two e-riders intro tests which were great. But no one has seen him at canter and without eyes on ground I don't know if it's me or him.

He absolutely understands I want canter in response to some posts above - but on the left lead. Whether that's a habit he got into when he was sore or something more fundamental I don't know.

When I turned him out earlier he took off at right lead canter. So without me he will strike off on that lead - which would suggest I'm the issue. I'm ok if that's the case (cheaper issue....)

ihatework

Visit site
That is my current worry. In the past 4 weeks he's trotted up for vet / physio / farrier who all say he's fine. Plus two e-riders intro tests which were great. But no one has seen him at canter and without eyes on ground I don't know if it's me or him.

He absolutely understands I want canter in response to some posts above - but on the left lead. Whether that's a habit he got into when he was sore or something more fundamental I don't know.

When I turned him out earlier he took off at right lead canter. So without me he will strike off on that lead - which would suggest I'm the issue. I'm ok if that's the case (cheaper issue....)

In which case I’d evaluate closely what he does on the lunge.

Strike rate with/without saddle, with/without bit, with/without side-reins, with/without rider! Watch the track marks he leaves on each rein - is he more crooked one way than the other?

Then try different riders - ones you are confident are balanced, but also don’t try and manufacture the strike off too much

nikicb

www.facebook.com

A couple more thoughts.....

What is he like on the lunge? Due to my previously mentioned issues about worrying about getting it wrong, I train my current mare to canter using a clicking sound, which I then transfer to ridden work. I basically just have her canter a few strides then back to trot again, so very much work on the transitions rather than having her charge around.

With my previous mare, losing my right canter strike off was generally an indication that my saddle needed adjusting - not sure whether it was becoming a little tight on her etc., or whether it was putting me a little out of position, but my right hip is quite tight, and if I am not quite sitting in the right position, I find my aid for canter doesn't quite quite have the correct effect.

I do agree with @ihatework though, if you are asking correctly, sitting correctly, and saddle fit is good, then probably worth having a vet cast their eyes over him. Good luck.

ETA Sorry cross posted with @ihatework on their second post, but agree with what they are saying.

SEL

Visit site
A couple more thoughts.....

What is he like on the lunge? Due to my previously mentioned issues about worrying about getting it wrong, I train my current mare to canter using a clicking sound, which I then transfer to ridden work. I basically just have her canter a few strides then back to trot again, so very much work on the transitions rather than having her charge around.

With my previous mare, losing my right canter strike off was generally an indication that my saddle needed adjusting - not sure whether it was becoming a little tight on her etc., or whether it was putting me a little out of position, but my right hip is quite tight, and if I am not quite sitting in the right position, I find my aid for canter doesn't quite quite have the correct effect.

I do agree with @ihatework though, if you are asking correctly, sitting correctly, and saddle fit is good, then probably worth having a vet cast their eyes over him. Good luck.

ETA Sorry cross posted with @ihatework on their second post, but agree with what they are saying.
Saddle could well need adjusting. He's dropped a lot of condition (more than ideal) and I've got a thicker pad under it. Saddle fitter due next few weeks

I'm questioning whether I'm twisting and weighting my right seat bone. I'm down left hip as my norm and I'm due physio next week. Perhaps I'll hold off vet until I've seen the physio.

If OH is around tomorrow then I'll get him to video me. Might be more obvious then. Once the lorry is back life gets easier because I'm muddling through on my own at the moment worried I'm breaking him.

Thanks everyone. Lots to think about. Will let you know how I get on.

SEL

Visit site
In which case I’d evaluate closely what he does on the lunge.

Strike rate with/without saddle, with/without bit, with/without side-reins, with/without rider! Watch the track marks he leaves on each rein - is he more crooked one way than the other?

Then try different riders - ones you are confident are balanced, but also don’t try and manufacture the strike off too much
All good points and I'll pick up on all of them. Thank you.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
If getting it on lunge fine then I don’t tend to worry too much. I did have a hunt horse who really struggled when I had her for schooling for eventing. Fine on lunge. Just couldn’t get it with a rider. In end a pole in corner of arena on a jump stand made all the difference. I think the pole was on the diagonal about 3ft high and you just asked for canter over it. The diagonal of the pole just helps the legs get sorted and they cant fall on their shoulder etc

BMA2

Visit site
I'm sure I was once told to look over my wrong shoulder...

So if I wanted left ask coming to the corner and look over my right...

humblepie

Visit site
With my ex racehorse who struggled right canter strike off I was told the outside rein flex as above which sounds a bit counter intuitive but helped. He was in a 20 x 40 arena and we’d only be able to hold a few canter strides so it was getting the strike off and rewarding him for that and the progressing to maintaining it for longer as he got stronger and balanced. Oddly I think right canter is now his default out hacking if we just slob into canter

SEL

Visit site
Good and bad today.

I decided to be a bit tactical and use the long side of my winter field. It's on a right bend and I had some log jumps in there last year so he was coming up there on the correct lead. No jumps but one of the trees had helpfully thrown down some twigs so that was exciting enough.

Following DabDab's and others advice I got on 2nd attempt the correct lead. Lost it pretty quickly, so came round again (very excited about the twigs!) and nailed the transition. That's where the good stuff ends though because the canter was horrible. Light seat so not to restrict him and the ground is good but he is definitely not doing a proper canter. OH had vanished and I didn't want to push another go but he's either cross firing behind or both back legs are together.

His insurance renewal is due at the end of April and given he tweaked that stifle when the hunt came past in Jan I'm going to organise a scan.

**Sigh**