Tips for sleeping in my trailer

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I very luckily have quite a few weekends away with the horse coming up and will be sleeping in my trailer. I can sleep, as I did do last year in my friends horse box, but as last year there will be 3 of us & one snores loud! I mean really really loud, to the point where I do not sleep all night.

I have been looking at trailers with living, but am reluctant to let go of my trusty Ifor 510.

So, am looking to set up a little sleeping area in my trailer, any tips to keep as warm & comfy as possible?

Dannylandrover

Visit site
We used to sleep in the trailer lots when my neice was competing my ponies. We used to take z beds, lots lots and lots of blankets. We used to take old blankets to use against the walls of trailer to keep it warmer as well as one for floor. Battery powered lamps are a godsend and for security i used to tie the door shut with string and hang a bit with a curb chain on it so if door was opened we would be woken as the bit dropped to floor. As long as you are warm enough it is actually quite comfortable. Good luck for the season x

southerncomfort

Visit site
Never done it but I'm told that a pop up tent in side is an absolute must as condensation builds up on the inside of the roof and drips on you in the night!

oldie48

Visit site
A bottle of brandy and a hot water bottle, drink one and clutch the other! you could , of course, unhitch the trailer and go to a B&B. what ever you decide to do, I hope you have a lovely time and i think you can put up with pretty much anything in the short term!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have done it a few times. Some people put up a tent inside the trailer, this is obviously warmer than just the trailer, so it depends on what time of year it is. It is surprisingly cold at night even in summer, unless it is the middle of a heatwave.
Is the trailer rain-proof? You will need to practice before you go.

I put an old rug on the floor to act as a carpet, had a blow up bed (not that comfortable), a sleeping bag and a couple of duvets. You will need a torch and a lamp of some sort. I found that the first night I sleep in pyjamas, the next night plus socks, and the last night virtually fully dressed!

Alarm clock, battery radio, some sort of way of being secure so no-one can get in during the night, but you can get out quickly.

What are you doing for eating and hot water? I had a mini camping stove, so at least I could have a hot drink last thing at night and first thing in the morning. I guess it wasn't the safest thing, but I am very careful! I protected the flame from any wind.

If you have never done anything like it before I would recommend having a practice run at home first.

Tnavas

Visit site
What a good idea to have a pop up tent inside - would certainly be warmer.

My dad was a wiz for camping and we were always warm regardless of the weather. His tip, plenty of insulation UNDER your sleeping bag/bedding. On your camp bed or under your mattress either some wool carpet or one of those dense foam camping mats. If you haven't got that then a couple of folded blankets. If you are likely to have a condensation problem then a sheet of polythene over the top of your bedding to protect you from the drips.

Many of my friends are at HOY camping in their trailers this week, with Cyclone Pam having fun around them. Thermal underwear for sleeping in is good too.

If you plan to sleep in your trailer a lot then it's worth having the roof sprayed with insulation stuff - no idea what its called, or have the roof lined.

Me - I have a small truck with a bed in it! Even then when I go away I always take two quilts with me.I have a small camping stove which runs on small canisters of gas. Each canister will last a couple of days. Everything is kept in plastic boxes with lids. They can be secured in the trailer in the front, make good seats too.

Trailers with built in accommodation can be very heavy and often require a HGV license and a hefty vehicle to pull it.

Suelin

Visit site
We have an equi trek trailer with living but still sleep in the back of the trailer and leave the living for living, if you follow. We bought an off cut of carpet to go under an inflatable mattress and we backed that with some cheap insulation on a roll which helped enormously to keep out the chill. Then a thin duvet on the mattress, then us followed by a heavyweight duvet on top. PJ's essential, plus a whippet or two for hot water bottle qualities!!! Have fun.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I slept in my friends box, in the horse area a couple of times last year, the last time being in October. She had a camp bed off the floor, I had my pyjamas, jumper, two pairs of socks, hat, gloves, duvet & a horse rug over me, and I was still freezing. It was October I suppose though.

Sleeping inside a pop up tent sounds good, as does the insulation on the floor. I have bought some thermal long johns & top. I am also going to buy some of that toilet fluid for my bucket.

My first trip out is a Trec comp so there will be loads of us, but securing myself in is a good idea. Evening meal is provided but a little gas stove for a morning cuppa is a good idea too.

Lots of fab ideas. Thank you

Mahoganybay

Visit site
We have an equi trek trailer with living but still sleep in the back of the trailer and leave the living for living, if you follow. We bought an off cut of carpet to go under an inflatable mattress and we backed that with some cheap insulation on a roll which helped enormously to keep out the chill. Then a thin duvet on the mattress, then us followed by a heavyweight duvet on top. PJ's essential, plus a whippet or two for hot water bottle qualities!!! Have fun.

Can I borrow your whippets pleeeease!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
What a good idea to have a pop up tent inside - would certainly be warmer.

Trailers with built in accommodation can be very heavy and often require a HGV license and a hefty vehicle to pull it.

Tell me about it, I have looked at them all!

samleigh

Visit site
I found the best night sleep I had camping with horses was actually sleeping in the back of my x trail, a blow up double mattress fitted with seats down, it was quieter than a tent, stayed warmer, and as others say, quilts, sleeping bags, hot water bottles and a onsie 😋 as many layers as you can pack!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I slept in my friends box, in the horse area a couple of times last year, the last time being in October. She had a camp bed off the floor, I had my pyjamas, jumper, two pairs of socks, hat, gloves, duvet & a horse rug over me, and I was still freezing. It was October I suppose though.

Sleeping inside a pop up tent sounds good, as does the insulation on the floor. I have bought some thermal long johns & top. I am also going to buy some of that toilet fluid for my bucket.

My first trip out is a Trec comp so there will be loads of us, but securing myself in is a good idea. Evening meal is provided but a little gas stove for a morning cuppa is a good idea too.

Lots of fab ideas. Thank you

Instead of toilet fluid, I just have a bucket with shavings (sorry, too much information!) and take some extra shavings.

asmp

Visit site
We slept in our trailer quite a few times last year at TREC comps and my bit of advice is that you will be cold even in the summer so take duvets (personally can't stand the closed in feeling of sleeping bags), pillows (you'll sleep much better with a proper one) and I have a large bucket with some straw in as an emergency loo as, if you're anything like me, knowing the loos are some distance away will make you want to go in the middle of the night!

Lyle

Visit site
Tip 1: Give the trailer a really good scrub in the week before you go. I mean SCRUB with a stiff bristled brush, focusing on the floor where the horses stand. This will make a huge difference to the smell and general feel.
2. See if you can get some 'outdoor carpet' type stuff, which you can lay down on the floor of the trailer. Much warmer than rubber, and it's clean. Also get some to lay outside the personal door, so you have a clean place to step out/keep shoes etc.
3. Portable table. If it's just you, there should be room for a portable table. So useful!
4. Tarp the back above the tail board. Keeps the wind/rain out.
5. I'd say get a swag to sleep in, but I'm not sure you can get them in the UK! Think a big canvas cacoon, with a mattress inside. You put your sleeping bag in and hop in. You'll be toasty in no time!
6. Put your clothes for the next morning at the bottom of your sleeping bag during the night. They will be warm and not freezing when you got to get changed!
7. If you can get hot water (either from a friend or get yourself a portable single ring gas cooker) then make a million hot water bottles.
8. Thermal underwear.
9. Some form of lighting.

I don't do tents at horse competitions! Might be different over their, but at a lot of comps here we have horses set up in portable yards in the camping area. There's always some nobber who hasn't secured their horse properly who will go for a midnight gallop. I don't feel like getting squished thank you very much!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Tip 1: Give the trailer a really good scrub in the week before you go. I mean SCRUB with a stiff bristled brush, focusing on the floor where the horses stand. This will make a huge difference to the smell and general feel.
2. See if you can get some 'outdoor carpet' type stuff, which you can lay down on the floor of the trailer. Much warmer than rubber, and it's clean. Also get some to lay outside the personal door, so you have a clean place to step out/keep shoes etc.
3. Portable table. If it's just you, there should be room for a portable table. So useful!
4. Tarp the back above the tail board. Keeps the wind/rain out.
5. I'd say get a swag to sleep in, but I'm not sure you can get them in the UK! Think a big canvas cacoon, with a mattress inside. You put your sleeping bag in and hop in. You'll be toasty in no time!
6. Put your clothes for the next morning at the bottom of your sleeping bag during the night. They will be warm and not freezing when you got to get changed!
7. If you can get hot water (either from a friend or get yourself a portable single ring gas cooker) then make a million hot water bottles.
8. Thermal underwear.
9. Some form of lighting.

I don't do tents at horse competitions! Might be different over their, but at a lot of comps here we have horses set up in portable yards in the camping area. There's always some nobber who hasn't secured their horse properly who will go for a midnight gallop. I don't feel like getting squished thank you very much!

Ha ha! Funny you should say that, last comp, apart from the snoring friend keeping me awake, there was also the sound of the various loose horses running amok that had escaped from corrals,

conniegirl

Visit site
I have a horse box (with full living) but inthe past have dont the sleeping in a trailer thing.

Take some old carpet to line it, or get some PVA matting (argos) to go under your tent.
In your tent put an inflatable matress, on top of your matress put a load of sheepskins, then a fleecy sheet, then a sleeping bag, then a duvet!
I also wear fleecy PJ's and socks and had a dog to cuddle up to (an enormous golden retriever).

when I upgraded to the Lorry I alsogot my own personal nuclear furnace (aka my OH)

Tern

Visit site
Take a portable gas stove, and living on rice/pasta/instant coffee/tea will probably be the easiest thing.. I mean.. pasta then put your glass jar of pasta sauce in hot water and heat it that way - yum! :D Sausages etc that can be boiled.. you'll have quite a wide variety. :)

You could take a few mattresses (dunno about you but I have some small ones I could attatch to the non-used horse side) or camp bed, put lots of old carpet/curtains etc under neat and wear thermals under pjs! You could even double up sleeping bags if really cold.

kez81

Visit site
I used to make myself a "bed" with straw and layer lots of blankets on top to keep cold out. These days I have an army issue camp cot that has a cover that makes it like a raised mini tent. I bought some memory foam to use as a mattress and put one of those foil rescue blankets under it to reflect the heat back up through mattress and sleep in an army issue arctic sleeping bag (my ex was good for something namely free kit!), its so warm i dont even layer up in sleeping bag. Also has advantage of meaning I dont have to take tons of stuff in car/ trailer, just the cot, cover, mattress and sleeping bag.

JDH01

Visit site
I have done it at Riding Club camp and always take a campbed and loads of fleece throws, 2 on floor as rug and insulation under the bed. On the bed I put 2 or 3 under the sleeping bag so they insulate and come over as a blanket. I also sleep in pyjamas and take a neck cover. Check the trailer is water tight before you go and take some lighting. If your door has non inside catch a short bungee cord from the door closure to a suitable inside point works really well.

Lou23

Visit site
I hooked a trailer up to electrics & taken my oil filled radiator with me. Just get the camping electrics for use with tents. Lovely & warm & toasty & if it's raining you can dry your clothes too!!

Ormsweird

Visit site
You can get an adapter to plug into your cigarette lighter (Do people call them these these days? The power point anyway!) to turn it into an ordinary plug socket. Not sure if that's what was meant, but it is possible. On long journeys it's how I power a whole heap of stuff when someone else is driving. Yes, I am a sad bunny with a laptop and a mobile dongle!