Tips on catching a horse that you cant!! please

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
Its a friends horse, she is having real problems. He wont come in for food. He is not in a huge field, she has tried to catch him different times of the day, just groom and not always ride to vary it. Still having problems. Any ideas gratefully received please. Thank you.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My girl is fine 99.9% of the time, but once went through a phase of not wanting to be caught. I chased her round with a lunge whip (not actually hitting her) until she got bored of trotting round and stood still, then gave her a treat when she was caught.

newboult51

Visit site
We've had to tie 2 lunge reins together and with one person at each end, corner him. Then we steadily move in so he's in a very small area. He gives up at that point!

3Beasties

Visit site
Set aside plenty of time and then...

Follow him round the field for as long as it takes.

Last week I had to do this with a pony at work, he was turned out in a 4 acre field (not massive but bl00dy hard work as it is on a hill
blush.gif
) with others but wouldn't be caught. The first day it took me 45 minutes. I literally followed him round the field, if he wouldn't let me catch him (ie. walked/ trotted away) I would almost chase him so that he had to work harder. He kept trying to get back to the others which I wouldn't let him do. It was such hard work (running up a hill time after time in wellies after a ginger beast is not easy!). I didn't give up though and eventually he gave up and let me catch him. I gave him lots of treats, took him in for a massage and then turned him back out.

I did this everyday last week, each time it took less and less time for me to catch him, on Friday he let me catch him straight away.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Agree with Horse_Crazy, my daughters gelding is a swine to catch when they are first turned out, the best way i have found is to keep following him round (like an annoying fly almost) bugging him, not letting him graze, directing him away from the herd.

The first day it took me 3/4 hour, second day 1/2 hour, third day 20 mins and fourth day/onwards i can go straight up to him. I never give him a treat in the field (learnt that lesson when he snatched it out of my hand and ran off - ha ha), but he gets his treat/lots of fuss out of the field when the gate is closed behind us.

I don't always ride him, sometimes he comes in for his food and then goes back out again, sometimes just for a groom or a play in the sand school.

I had the same problem with my old mare, who one time it took me 2 hours to catch her !!!

Tnavas

Visit site
Some horses get like this if they are sore when ridden - so a check by the chiropractor might be a good idea.

In the meantime try the Parrelli method. Have plenty of time on hand, go in the paddock with a lunge whip. Attempt to catch - if he moves off then chase him with the whip, keep him moving. If he choses to stop chase him again.

The idea behind this is that you tell him what to do so whenever he moves away from yoou , you ask him to move.
Eventually when he has been trying to stop frequently you tell him to stop by stopping the chasing. Walk up to him with whip behind you, if he remains stationary then catch, praise and bring him in, clean him up - he will be sweating and need a wash off.

I've not yet seen it fail. Next time the horse should allow you to catch him, if he doesn't you repeat the exercise until he gives up.

When ready to give up he will mouth a lot in submission.

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I did this 30 years ago - now its called Parelli? Hehehehe!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yep OP, keep the horse in a small paddock. If horse runs away, keep it running until it looks like its not having such a great time. Let it stop, wait a few seconds, then go up to it quietly to catch it. If it walks/runs away, put it back to work again. It took my mare two sessions of this to work out it was easier just to come in in the first place.
grin.gif
cool.gif