TO ALL PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT THE RSPCA, I HAVE AN IDEA PLEASE HELP.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I only have had good experiences with the RSPCA.

OP I would love to come to your event, but I am too far away I am afraid.

But I wish you all the best and perhaps putting it on your facebook may be better as there are not a lot of RSPCA fans on here. :D

scrunchie

Visit site
My cousin is an RSPCA officer and I still wouldn't support them!!

In my experience they are bloody useless when it comes to horses, only coming out to the cases where they can get more publicity and ask for more donations.

mirage

Visit site
It's lovely that you want to help,but I'm another who would not support anything that funded the RSPCA.If it was Brooke,WHW Equine Market Watch and local horse/animal charities,yes,I'd be more than happy to donate/offer time too.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Sorry but another one who would never support the RSPCA ...... I live in spitting distance of their Headquarters and actually get annoyed with them being there, every time I drive past ......

There are so many more worthy causes, who actually help animals :D

DressageCob

Visit site
Ignoring the RSPCA hatred, I think whilst this is a nice idea, it would be very difficult to pull off.

The major stumbling block will be insurance. You will need insurance to protect against people sustaining injuries, animals having accidents,fire, property damage and so forth. You'll also need various licences.

It would take a lot of time and planning, and you'll probably have to pay something towards it and recoup your costs later. Which is all very well so long as you have the spare cash.

You have said you are young. To be honest I think this may be too much for you to pull off.

Why not ask at a local riding school if you can do something similar on their premises on a smaller scale?

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
The rspca (NOT WORTHY OF CAPITAL LETTERS) are NO more than a Pseudo political organisation with no real interest in animal cruelty unless there is a TV Camera and free advertising in the offing they are not really intrested in Animal cruelty, as I found out this time 2 years ago a Herd of Suckler Cattle were literally starving to death in in the Brownsover Country Park Nr Rugby and a phone call to the rspca brought a luke warm not interested response at best.
And it also Beggars belief what the Warwickshire Wildlife trust were allowing to go on in their park.:mad::mad:

mle22

Visit site
Ignoring the RSPCA hatred, I think whilst this is a nice idea, it would be very difficult to pull off.

The major stumbling block will be insurance. You will need insurance to protect against people sustaining injuries, animals having accidents,fire, property damage and so forth. You'll also need various licences.

It would take a lot of time and planning, and you'll probably have to pay something towards it and recoup your costs later. Which is all very well so long as you have the spare cash.

You have said you are young. To be honest I think this may be too much for you to pull off.

Why not ask at a local riding school if you can do something similar on their premises on a smaller scale?

I agree with this - it's one of the reasons why there are fewer small local shows than there used to be, the insurance costs can be huge. Maybe a series of smaller sponsored events might be an easier way to raise some funds. Good luck with whatever you decide.

MileAMinute

Visit site
The title of this thread was to those who 'support' the RSPCA. Clearly, most of you don't support them, so why are you bothering to comment? :confused:

Maybe I've been lucky, but any officers I've encountered have always been polite, friendly and have the animal's best interests in heart.

Capriole

Visit site
1. the op is asking for comments and feedback as to whether it would be supported (big no, from lots of us, so thats got to be of help to the OP, no?)
2. pretty sure any of us can post where we like on what we like, and we're choosing to post here...or is there a sticky I missed?

MileAMinute

Visit site
1. the op is asking for comments and feedback as to whether it would be supported (big no, from lots of us, so thats got to be of help to the OP, no?)
2. pretty sure any of us can post where we like on what we like, and we're choosing to post here...or is there a sticky I missed?

1. Yes, I understand. But from the title of the thread, I'd gathered the OP was after people who supported the RSPCA, not the opposite.

2. Yes, of course you can. I never said you couldn't. I was just wondering why everyone had jumped on the slating bandwagon is all. Clearly the OP wants to help the charity.

I'll leave you all to it :)

Capriole

Visit site
i think its been potentially very useful to the OP to determine the level of support, or indeed otherwise, she might expect. If she plans to run a show, all that hard work, financial outlay etc etc., I personally think she could do better than have her cause as the RSPCA as so many people obviously have had issues with them and wont support them under any circs., whereas a local/other charity they would be delighted to help.
I think it would limit her chances of success is all.

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
I supported them for about 3 years donating £3 per month, yes, not millions I grant you. It wasn't until someone pointed out how they actually spend their money and on what areas that I realised a very small amount of it went to the poor animals on the pictures they showed me when I got grabbed going down the highstreet.
I was approached recently by a clipboard wealding Fundraiser who was very swiftly, but politely told that I was not interested and why.
Unless people are made awarehow much is spent on advertising and publicity rather than animal welfare the smaller more pro active organisations will continue to struggle.

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Peaple i have an idea but i need lots of help.

I want to do something to raise money for the RSPCA, so i want to put on a local show, with horses, dogs, childrens games and anything else you can think of? It will be held (if i get the go ahead from the local council) in mid wales in a small town called knighton. this will only be possible with fees from entries, donations and sponsers e.t.c
so if you live in this area please comment and let me know if you would come and support the amazing centre that help all sorts of animals and give them a better life. I am only a young girl who spends all her money just to have a horse so i am no hi fi business women with lots of money to put into this show but i know that you animal lovers and owners would do anything to help these poor animals, so lets do it, lets pull together and make a difference.

Lots of feed back is needed so i know there are people that will help me :D
I am on the organising committee for a charity show. May I suggest you talk to the someone on the show committee of your local Pony Club to get advice on the organisation of shows. There is a lot more involved than you may realise, not least insurance (which can cost hundreds of pounds and you must have it), professional medical cover on the day and all sorts of incidental hidden expenses.

I hope you are successful

Littlelegs

Visit site
I would gladly support a show for another charity but not the rspca. I always gave them the benefitvof the doubt, thought its not their fault the law needs changing etc.
However I found a fox that had clearly been hit by a car at the side of the road, in desperate need of putting out of her misery. There were also 2 young cubs cowering near by & a third dead in the road. By the looks of it, the vixen had dragged herself across after being hit. The emergency response team told me they'd get someone out later that day. I told them I'd ring the local paper & see if they knew anyone that could help. Funnily enough rspca decide its an emergency at the mention of the press. Waste of space.

applecart14

Visit site
Bless you, if only there were more enterprising young people like you out there the country would be in a much better place.

i just think you are onto a bit of a sticky wicket in terms of all the red tape. What with health & safety (also known as elf and safety!) and the cost of first aid. But whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck x

Kaylum

Visit site
if you want to support charities buy them food to feed the animals with. You know where you money is going then.

zaminda

Visit site
I never support the RSPCA. They often don't know what they are talking about, and have gone after several high profile people (including recently) quite wrongly.
They insisted a friend of mine trot her cross tied pony up to prove it was lame and that was why it was cross tied. (it had a broken pelvis)

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Why not pop into your local vet's surgery and ask if they know of anything - they might have dealings with people who help with re-homing animals or maybe there's a local person who deals with wildlife like owls or hedgehogs. Vets sometimes work with these sorts of people.

Good luck anyway :)

cassie summers

Visit site
I love your idea but perhaps the money should go towards a smaller, more local animal charity that needs the money more? Don't know about you but I think that the RSPCA have quite a lot of money already :)

totally agree they are one of the richest charities in england i would rather support a local charity i wouldnt give the RSPCA a penny

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Just another thought - I think to organise a show would be an enormous undertaking and perhaps not really a realistic proposition so why not get together with some friends and hold a horsey car boot sale? Or maybe you could organise a sponsored ride instead?

FionaM12

Visit site
Wow I never new any of this about the RSPCA, I have been trying to find small local animal charities around my area but there really aren't any lol any ideas anyone? :)

I'm surproised there aren't any! What part of the country are you in? Forum members in that area might know of a worthy cause.

Cuffey

Visit site
Wow I never new any of this about the RSPCA, I have been trying to find small local animal charities around my area but there really aren't any lol any ideas anyone? :)

I think you are around 30 miles from Equine Market Watch Sanctuary--why not visit and see what they do.
Please only organise a horse show if you have lots of people in your area with horses
It can be quite expensive--eg providing first aid cover, getting insurance, setting a field out with rings--even getting a field, borrowing jumps, finding judges

http://www.emwuk.org.uk/

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No problem - maybe it's different here in NI but the USPCA do a really good job in all kinds of areas of animal welfare such as badger baiting, illegal dog fights etc and I'm very glad they exist

Have you ever tried asking the USPCA for help with an equine matter?

Charities like Crosskennan Lane (who are at breaking point after taking in the Lisnevenagh cruelty case horses when they were already full to capacity - a certain other agency was called to the scene several times but did not act) Hollys Horse Haven and the Donkey Sanctuary do the lion's share of equine rescue because sadly, without the expertise or facilities, the USPCA are not fully equipped to deal properly with equine rescue.
Which is a shame because they have the potential, clout and media savvy to be able to do a much better job.
Again, the smaller charities who plug away quietly in the background would be the ones getting my support!!

Last edited:

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Along with most of the others, I will not support the RSPCA, they are political and useless when it comes to animal welfare unless the TV or press is involved. They are also hypocritical.

Oberon

Visit site
I think the OP should be able to support whichever charity she wishes to without feeling harangued
chillpill.gif

I donate monthly to our local RSPCA and I will continue to do so.

My reasons?

Xara.

I was her third home - the RSPCA had rescued her twice before. And for the last 10 years we've spent together, I have been grateful to them every day.

Xaradogwash.jpg