TO HOT TO RIDE?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
, traddie-boy has sweet itch so has to wear his rug, he's very hot and sweating up underneath it but there's nothing I can do, if I took it off he'd rub himself raw in half a day, so he must wear it. I've texted a friend to get him clipped, poor lad.

Ours wear sweet itch hoodies, they only go out after 6/7pm, but if its still hot I hose them down with their hoodies on, they seem to love it.

I wouldn't ride in the heat of the day, its not nice for me or the horse! I ride later on, my sharer is coming about 7pm tonight and we are riding. My mare gets really hot and bothered from flies, so I wash her off before we go as well as when we get back.

For what its worth, I worked with horses in Italy many moons ago, and we didn't ride in the heat there either. We either rode before 9am or after 7pm, and we had lovely long siestas for horses and workers in the afternoons!

splashnutti1

Visit site
ahh, well then thats alot more difficult. I find it hard to ride later in the evening as I am generally rubbish after about 8pm and like to be in bed by 10 at the latest! Seriously though, if you don't want to ride then and can't another time then just don't-it is supposed to be fun and not a chore (unless you have fatties to exercise at all costs). If they are pretty fit, they'll not lose it overnight.

Lol its certainly a challenge at times but my horses are my escape and keep me sane :)

At the moment my lad is a bit chubby but not obese but he is on starvation so I not overly worried :)

I to like to be in bed and time between half 9 and 11 especially with my early starts lol. :eek:

It's all good fun :p

zaminda

Visit site
My horses don't seem to mind, but I don't like the flies much!! Have been riding as much as normal, wish mine were quiet in the heat they are nuts at the moment!! I consider my horses to be a hobby, so as they keep themselves VERY fit in the field, if Im not feeling up to it, they don't go out.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I've been riding at about 7 in the evening recently. Sometimes riding one, other times riding both. I schooled them both last night and all three of us were very sweaty but both horses were surprisingly sprightly. They are coming in for a few hours during the hottest part of the day but really their stables aren't that much cooler.

One is pretty fit as I've been riding him most days and he sweats up just pottering about sometimes, he's a very sweaty horse but this weather hasn't made a huge difference to him. He's been more chilled and walking at a more relaxed pace than usual which is lovely!

The other is pretty unfit, I schooled for 30 mins last night and he was out of puff despite the fact half of it was in walk. He could do with losing a few pounds anyway. I was careful not to overdo it with him because of his lack of fitness.

Unfortunately neither of these horses are mine, I share the fit one, I got him fit as I'm currently unemployed so have plenty of time on my hands. ;) The other is owned by the same person but she has been pretty useless at riding/exercising him recently so I've been doing a bit.

I have to be careful with myself as well, when I was riding in Australia I got heat stroke and nearly fainted off the horse!

Hippophilia

Visit site
Here on the Canadian prairies we get very hot summers so I use the HSI (Heat Stress Index) to tell me if it is too hot to ride:
''If the sum of the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit plus the percent of humidity totals less than 120, all systems are “go.” If the sum is greater than 150, particularly if humidity contributes to more than half of this number, your horse’s natural cooling mechanisms will be compromised. You should consider lowering the intensity of your workout, shortening the length of time, or riding later in the day. If the HSI is greater than 180, a horse cannot regulate his core body temperature naturally, so he should not be forced to work.'' (http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-exclusives/avoid-horse-heat-traps.aspx)
I know it's in Fahrenheit but I use a weather app on my phone to convert temps as I work in Celsius. Hope this helps, hot summers were such a shock to me when I moved here a few years ago.

Noodlebug

Visit site
My horse is too hot and while I am working it just horrible in the late afternoon so I haven't ridden since Sunday. I am off for 6 weeks from tomorrow so if this weather keeps up will ride in the morning. I cancelled my lesson this week as I so hot after mine on Friday!! I perfer the cold!!:D

Sheep

Visit site
I have to admit I am being a bit cautious at the minute. My boy is only just sound again after a week off so just hacked out this morning in walk for about 40 minutes.

We have a little mare as well and are being very cautious with her - she actually came down with full blown heatstroke at the weekend (rest of yard were absolutely fine) to the extent that apparently her brain began to swell, thus impairing her ability to respond to urges to drink. Luckily she is fine now, vet came out and after 10litres of fluid on the drip she had perked up considerably. It is extremely rare, but he said he had come across 5 cases lately and one horse had actually died. She's been kept in the past few days and nights and now is out again overnight, but until we are sure she is back to normal, she will be having it extremely easy!

But that said - heading back to yard shortly and may take my boy out for another short hack. I think that when the weather is a bit above what we normally expect, we still have to treat them as individuals. It's like the rugging threads we get during winter - assess them individually and you can't go wrong.

ihatework

Visit site
For me it's more about aclimatisation.
I'm getting there now and enjoying the weather.
Have been riding early/late when I can, but also had a lesson mid afternoon last weekend - which was hot & sweaty but not the end of the world.
Just keep up the fluids for all concerned and neddy is getting electrolytes.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
For me it's more about aclimatisation.
I'm getting there now and enjoying the weather.
Have been riding early/late when I can, but also had a lesson mid afternoon last weekend - which was hot & sweaty but not the end of the world.
Just keep up the fluids for all concerned and neddy is getting electrolytes.

Sorry, had to laugh: electrolytes? Is he running in the National or something? People, this is not that hot! I used to live and work in the USA where it was regularly 40 degrees and 100% humidity. In fact I did my first ever FEI dressage test at high noon when it was 100 degrees F (think wool tailcoat, TIGHT black boots, top hat, the lot: I looked like a well-packaged beetroot after).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sorry, had to laugh: electrolytes? Is he running in the National or something? People, this is not that hot! I used to live and work in the USA where it was regularly 40 degrees and 100% humidity. In fact I did my first ever FEI dressage test at high noon when it was 100 degrees F (think wool tailcoat, TIGHT black boots, top hat, the lot: I looked like a well-packaged beetroot after).

But so what? Are you saying that someone with a horse that is not used to heat and that is sweating more than usual is wrong to use electrolytes just because your horse came from a hot country and was more used to the heat. Is an electrolyte purely for horses that sweat in top level competitions or simply to replace things lost by ANY horse that is sweating hard? Why is it a bad thing to try and make your horse comfortable and work them when its cooler if you can? Its like saying you wouldn't put rugs on a cold horse in winter because other horses aren't cold. And as I previously said, I have worked with horses in hot countries too, but my horse hasn't! Yes its just summer, but why knock people who are trying to do their best for their horses and not harming them? If you're happy riding your horses in heat, fine, if others don't want to, fine. No need to pour scorn on each other.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Electrolytes CAN cause imbalances if over used; how much is this horse sweating? As much as a 3-day horse after X country? After a race? THAT'S how much sweat a horse needs to lose before it requires electrolyte replacement. Most horses have more than enough salts available to them, there is no need to supplement a horse as if it's just done a 50K endurance route at competition speeds just because it's got a little bit sweaty. That is my point; most horses DO NOT need anything extra. It's a bit hot; get a grip.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Electrolytes CAN cause imbalances if over used; how much is this horse sweating? As much as a 3-day horse after X country? After a race? THAT'S how much sweat a horse needs to lose before it requires electrolyte replacement. Most horses have more than enough salts available to them, there is no need to supplement a horse as if it's just done a 50K endurance route at competition speeds just because it's got a little bit sweaty. That is my point; most horses DO NOT need anything extra. It's a bit hot; get a grip.

Yes, quite aware of all that thanks, you're not quite getting my point. An unfit horse doing a local show etc may well sweat as much as a 3DE horse or a national horse because its not as fit. So to occasionally add salts in this weather is not a massive crime. If it were all the time, in all weathers, I agree with you. Are you saying those that give electrolytes after a ODE are out of order too? My horse can sweat that much on a normal day, let alone when she's eventing. I'm not talking about a tiny bit of sweat, but a lot more than usual. Yes it is a bit hot, but to a lot of UK horses it will feel worse. And no I'm not giving electrolytes, don't worry! But my main issue was the way you're responding, it comes across as a bit OTT and edging toward rude. Can't you get your point across a bit nicer, it would be more efficient!

ps. And one thing I personally learned from affiliated eventing in 35 degrees in Italy back in my 20s, was that is wasn't nice for me or the horse, and now that I am riding my own horses in my 40s and not doing it for work, I can choose when I ride, and that's when me and my horses are comfortable.. And even though I've done competitions in much hotter temps, I wouldn't knock someone who didn't want to ride in the UK when its hot..

Anyway, off to ride now its cooling down!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well, I have an extremely hairy veteran, and hot, hairy natives and I'm still riding as normal :rolleyes: It's not that hot! And I'm speaking as a natural heat-hater - yep I'm sweaty and unglamorous after, but that's not the end of the world either.

Christ, what would some of you guys do if it were actually un-British weather? Sure, it's your decision, but don't moan about the heat preventing you from riding - it's not the heat, it's your choice!

Mind you, I won't have my horses even a little "chubby". Nothing worse than a fat horse, and it'll take more than some sunshine to stop me working them and keeping them slim.

prosefullstop

Visit site
Good job you don't live in Australia or parts of the USA, you'd never ride :)

I'm riding as normal - spent the weekend doing some 4-5 hacks over hilly ground, schooled this morning etc.

Too true :) It's been mid-nineties all week in Connecticut, and riding here as normal. (Perhaps one small difference is that each stable is equipped with a small fan, and the barn aisles have even bigger fans.)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Not having a problem am still riding 5 or 6 days a week, sometimes at 5am before work, other times am out by 7am.
Catching up on the zzd's when I can by having the odd siesta :)
Have fit Fuzzy, tho she doesn't 'do' the heat either - so we are both happy :)

jroz

Visit site
It's been 90°F with high humidity (dewpoints over 70°F) all week here and most people are still riding, going out running, etc....

skint1

Visit site
I've done a few late eve and early morning rides, slow and steady and not too far. My girl is older, is my happy hacker and isn't in training for anything. She has copd, her breathing is quite bad at the moment, not worth the risk to me to take it too far.

pippixox

Visit site
I've had more problems with horse flies in this heat sending my boy crazy. I don't like to complain about heat but it is uncomfortable to ride at 30'C, so I have been riding at 6,30am or at least 7pm and just showered off the sweat afterwards. have been out a few times when it's hotter, but I would just rather not!

splashnutti1

Visit site
Well, I have an extremely hairy veteran, and hot, hairy natives and I'm still riding as normal :rolleyes: It's not that hot! And I'm speaking as a natural heat-hater - yep I'm sweaty and unglamorous after, but that's not the end of the world either.

Christ, what would some of you guys do if it were actually un-British weather? Sure, it's your decision, but don't moan about the heat preventing you from riding - it's not the heat, it's your choice!

Mind you, I won't have my horses even a little "chubby". Nothing worse than a fat horse, and it'll take more than some sunshine to stop me working them and keeping them slim.

Just to clarify if don't have my horses '' a little chubby'' either.!! He has more than usual on at the moment due to me having to spend time at hospital with my sick partner and having no one to exercise him whilst I can't, he is far from a ''fat '' horse.!!!

And as said before he is on starvation and soaked hay and will soon be back to his slim self.!

I have limited riding hours due to full time work and commitment of care to my partner but my horses are worked to as high a standard as I can.

My lad doesn't go well in the heat so why force him? After all he is not an event horse!:p

Marydoll

Visit site
Tbh i think it depends on the horse, and the person riding, i had to ride today between 2-3 , it was 28 degrees, i dont know who was sweating most me or the horse, he is a fit 8yr old, and im a relatively fit 50+ but we only schooled for 30 mins at it was so dusty, between the heat, no wind and the dust it was just horrible so we called it quits after 30 mims and then walked off and hit the cold shower. He loved the cold shower then a a walk off and roll in the dirt, fly sheet is back on and im not long in from the stables where its now 30 :mad:( ive put the mad face, but im not mad) its just how i looked when i jumped off :D

budley95

Visit site
Well Bud's had 3 weeks off from giving himself a little nick under his ear - right where his brailband would sit! So even hough it's hot he's coming back into work and doesn't seem to mind. I rode him today, OK it was only for 30 minutes, but it was nice and active schooling wih lots of walking breaks and he wasn't too sweaty. He still got his shower after though! Basically my fairly unfit beasty can manage in the mornings and evenings. I'm certain it used to be hotter than this in the summer holidays when I used to ride him many years ago - it's not too hot yet!

PollyP99

Visit site
All of those saying its not that hot, are you in the south? It is 32 here now, I would not put mine through a lesson in this heat, for natives it's crazy hot, my old Arab loved the heat section d hates it, flies are hideous too. It was 25 at 10 pm on sunday, come n this is not normal!

I lived in France for 6 years and I can assure you no one rides in this heat unless they are deranged!

Early morning is the only way to go and even then the ground is like concrete so care is required and an ounce of common sense.

splashnutti1

Visit site
Your words. Surely in the context of the above posts, you can understand my comments? :)

I know I said he is a tad overweight (and it is a tad) and a '' bit '' chubby.!!! Never said I didn't.!!

Just clarifying that he has got that way for a ""genuine "" reason (think my partner being seriously ill is a genuine season!!!!!)
He is "not" usually kept over weight due to lack of exercise as you implied.

JFTDWS

Visit site
All of those saying its not that hot, are you in the south?

Yep, we've been over 30 here all week. Ground's not like concrete in my fields though, due to careful irrigation :)

He is "not" usually kept over weight due to lack of exercise as you implied.

I didn't imply anything of the sort - you inferred it. I merely stated that mine are never allowed to be overweight - a statement I stand by.

splashnutti1

Visit site
Yep, we've been over 30 here all week. Ground's not like concrete in my fields though, due to careful irrigation :)

I didn't imply anything of the sort - you inferred it. I merely stated that mine are never allowed to be overweight - a statement I stand by.

Actually if you read my comments carefully it says that he isn't usually allowed to be overweight but due to circumstances he has put a "bit" more on than I would like!

I agree overweight horses is not good however I hope you never end up in the situation I did where your horses have to come second for a while as your partner is so sick.!! I wouldn't wish it on anybody and certainly wouldn't judge people because of circumstances beyond there control!

As stated my lad is now on starvation and will be slim again soon.

ihatework

Visit site

Glad to keep you amused.

I'm afraid I will continue to supplement with electrolytes though.

cob&onion

Visit site
Its the flies i hate as does my cob..........also hate sweating in my jods and boots!!

Been riding early this week, 730am starts, before the flies. Last week it was late evenings, 730pm starts!
Its cooler at night but def more flies about.
Tomorrow am switching back to evenings. :)

Marydoll

Visit site
It depends on the level of work youre doing whether itll need electrolites, but if its losing a lot of sweat after a had work out, then id be giving some, if its just a general sweat up after a plod about mabe not .